Why Does the State Flag of South Carolina Use Muslim Symbols?

my2cents 2012/03/16 06:03:46
I had noticed this some time ago and was recently reminded of it by a SodaHead member who used the South Carolina state flag as his profile picture.

A palm tree and a crescent moon. Both those symbols are found on Muslim flags.

Here is what's on one side of the Saudi flag:

flag

The
crescent moon and star is an internationally-recognized symbol of the
faith of Islam. The symbol is featured on the flags of several Muslim
countries. Just like the Christians have the cross and the Jews have the
star of David, the Muslims have the crescent moon.

crescent

Put the flag of Saudi Arabia and the Islamic flag together, and you get the flag of South Carolina!

Why aren't conservatives hammering South Carolina over this?

• Raymond59 2012/03/16 08:35:43 (edited)
    Raymond59
    +23
    Anyone with half a brain (including someone born in South Carolina) would know that the "White Crescent Moon" in the South Carolina flag has NOTHING to do with Islam. To go straight to the source (Link: http://www.netstate.com/state...) it's explained: "Dating back to 1765, the South Carolina State Flag reminds us of its role in the American Revolution and maintains its place in the annals of the Civil War with a design that was formulated as a National banner when the state seceded from the Union on December 20, 1860. Almost 100 years later, South Carolina seceded from the Union it had fought to create. A new banner was needed to fly above the newly created nation. Many designs were reviewed but the General Assembly settled on one simple change to Moultrie's Revolutionary War design. A Palmetto tree was added and centered on the blue field. The Palmetto, the South Carolina State Tree, had been attributed as instrumental in Colonel Moultrie's defense of Sullivan's Island against an attack by British warships in June, 1776. Cannonballs fired at the fort from the British ships could not destroy the walls of the fort which were built of Palmetto logs. Instead, the cannonballs simply sank into the soft, tough Palmetto wood. The flag that flies over the state of South Carolina toda...&
    Anyone with half a brain (including someone born in South Carolina) would know that the "White Crescent Moon" in the South Carolina flag has NOTHING to do with Islam. To go straight to the source (Link: http://www.netstate.com/state...) it's explained: "Dating back to 1765, the South Carolina State Flag reminds us of its role in the American Revolution and maintains its place in the annals of the Civil War with a design that was formulated as a National banner when the state seceded from the Union on December 20, 1860. Almost 100 years later, South Carolina seceded from the Union it had fought to create. A new banner was needed to fly above the newly created nation. Many designs were reviewed but the General Assembly settled on one simple change to Moultrie's Revolutionary War design. A Palmetto tree was added and centered on the blue field. The Palmetto, the South Carolina State Tree, had been attributed as instrumental in Colonel Moultrie's defense of Sullivan's Island against an attack by British warships in June, 1776. Cannonballs fired at the fort from the British ships could not destroy the walls of the fort which were built of Palmetto logs. Instead, the cannonballs simply sank into the soft, tough Palmetto wood. The flag that flies over the state of South Carolina today is of the same design that flew over the independent South Carolina during the Civil War." Also, alot of you are going off on a tangent & bringing Politics into this topic. Very Unnecessary!

• dusty.dukes.1 2012/08/10 00:24:01
    Because South Carolina is a red state that loves Newt Gingrich.
    dusty.dukes.1
    Ok, 1. The gorget (neck armour confused with a crescent) is supposed to be turned straight up. It got turned in the early 1900's. 2. Everything on the Sc state flag is from the Revolution. The Palmetto tree was used to finish Fort Sullivan now Fort Moultrie. Palmetto trees have a spongy cork and absorbed and deflected the fire of 9 British man-of-war ship totaling 270 guns. It kept the British from trying to enter the South from 1776-1780 thus providing George Washington life.
  • Dan (Politicaly Incorrect) 2012/03/20 22:00:32
    Dan (Politicaly Incorrect)
    It is not ment to be a Muslim symbol on that flag. Look at the history of the flag.
  • my2cents Dan (Po... 2012/03/21 22:06:35
    my2cents
    Doesn't matter what the history is, the crescent is clearly a Muslim symbol NOW, in this day and age. And the Saudis display the palm on their flag.

South Carolina needs make a change. Unless, of course, they're pandering to Muslims . . .
  • Dan (Po... my2cents 2012/03/22 00:34:14
    Dan (Politicaly Incorrect)
    Yes it does matter, South Carolina had that flag way before even thinking about Muslims.History is history and there is no reson that S.C. needs to change anything for muslims.
  • my2cents Dan (Po... 2012/03/22 05:56:51
    my2cents
    Fox News says the use of the crescent implies that the U.S. is sucking up to Muslims.

South Carolina is using a symbol that is now the universally recognized symbol of Islam. They should change it.
  • Dan (Po... my2cents 2012/03/22 11:05:09
    Dan (Politicaly Incorrect)
    Oh moron, then how about write to the Govenor and complain to him. Instead of making an idiot of yourself on this site.
  • my2cents Dan (Po... 2012/03/22 15:57:47
    my2cents
    Naw, this is a lot more fun!!
  • Dan (Po... my2cents 2012/03/23 01:21:20
    Dan (Politicaly Incorrect)
    +1
    Ok, at least you are honest.
  • my2cents Dan (Po... 2012/03/26 08:21:09
    my2cents
    ;)
  • Butch my2cents 2012/10/03 17:18:48
    Butch
    our flag was FIRST!..South Carolinian's do not bow down to anyone..unlike the current usurper POTUS!!!
  • Butch my2cents 2013/09/04 14:00:53
    Butch
    it's not a crescent!!! History is a terrible thing to waste. Look at pictures of G. Washington...you'll see one. It is a symbol of power, privilege, rank, honor and importance.
  • jmc07806-PWCM-JLA 2012/03/19 18:22:55
    jmc07806-PWCM-JLA
    It really has nothing to do with religion, but it always stirs up emotions just like the rebel flag.
  • Kara ~~~ American Patriot 2012/03/17 06:01:26
    Kara ~~~ American Patriot
    +1
    I like what Rodney said.
  • Brian Tristan MacQuillan 2012/03/17 05:22:44
    Brian Tristan MacQuillan
    +2
    Are you actually serious?

Did you ever have U.S. History in school?
    Did you ever hear of Fort Moultrie, or the The "Moultrie" Flag (the latter is pretty famous as far as flags go, you have seen it before)? Those would be Revolutionary War.
    Did you ever heard of the Citadel Flag? That would be the Civil War.

The tree on the flag is a palmetto tree, South Carolina's official state tree. There is also a crescent moon, but it does not symbolize anything about Islam. If you were to go to India, you would see the swastika in many places, but it has nothing to do with Nazism.

A simple web search, or visit to Wikipedia would have clarified what was on the state flag of South Carolina, and where it came from, and what it symbolized.
  • Flamingolady 2012/03/17 03:48:46
    Flamingolady
    +1
    Holy crap. What absolute nonsense. The flag was instituted before the residents of South Carolina even KNEW about Islam. And they did not care then any more than they care today. Get a grip. Stop being stupid.
  • S. Gompers 2012/03/17 02:30:27
    S. Gompers
    +3
    This is the most stupid thing I have ever seen and living proof that family trees should have branches and not resemble telephone poles.
  • Sawdust_128 2012/03/17 00:49:24
    Sawdust_128
    +2
    You were the fastest sperm? For how many generations have your kin been swimming in the shallow end of their own gene pool?
  • Rodney 2012/03/17 00:03:19
    Rodney
    +4
    Really? The South Carolina flag was adopted in 1765 and I sincerely doubt they checked with the Saudi's, but truthfully, the Saudi's should have checked with S. Carolina as the Saudi flag was adopted in 1973 ( that's 208 years AFTER S. Carolina). Then we have the whole crescent moon and star bit. Oh you of little knowledge.
    The crescent moon and star symbol actually pre-dates Islam by several thousand years. Information on the origins of the symbol are difficult to ascertain, but most sources agree that these ancient celestial symbols were in use by the peoples of Central Asia and Siberia in their worship of sun, moon, and sky gods. There are also reports that the crescent moon and star were used to represent the Carthaginian goddess Tanit or the Greek goddess Diana.

The city of Byzantium (later known as Constantinople and Istanbul) adopted the crescent moon as its symbol. According to some reports, they chose it in honor of the goddess Diana. Others indicate that it dates back to a battle in which the Romans defeated the Goths on the first day of a lunar month. In any event, the crescent moon was featured on the city's flag even before the birth of Christ.

The early Muslim community did not really have a symbol. During the time of the Prophet Muhammad, Islamic armies and ca...

The early Muslim community did not really have a symbol. During the time of the Prophet Muhammad, Islamic armies and caravans flew simple solid-colored flags (generally black, green, or white) for identification purposes. In later generations, the Muslim leaders continued to use a simple black, white, or green flag with no markings, writing, or symbolism on it.

I sincerely doubt that the legislators in South Carolina even knew of the Muslims at the time they adopted their flag and I am positive that had NO INFLUENCE in their decision.
  • my2cents Rodney 2012/03/17 00:14:22
    my2cents
    You should check out what Fox News is saying about the use of the crescent. Where there is a crescent, there are Islamists:

• Rodney my2cents 2012/03/17 00:18:36
    Rodney
    +5
    Again, you are attempting to invoke the "They Did It" defense? A little lame isn't it?
  • my2cents Rodney 2012/03/18 01:50:18 (edited)
    my2cents
    No, it's the "they said it was so" claim. From the fair and balanced network. If it's true of the Nuclear Summit logo, it's true of South Carolina. Palm trees and crescents are palm trees and crescents. Since the symbols of the SC flag are now associated with Islam, they should change them.
  • Rodney my2cents 2012/03/18 02:12:09
    Rodney
    +1
    You really seem to be having a tough time drawing correlations here darlin'. BIG difference in when the flags came to be. At the time the South Carolina flag was chosen, communications were very limited and there was VERY little chance the good citizens of S. Carolina knew anything of the Muslims, let alone their flag. Where as today, we can see and learn of any nation and it's people at the wink of an eye. BUT, I am not saying that Barry's logo or the Nuclear Summit logo he assisted in designing have anything to do with Muslim designs, but it is an interesting coincidence that there would be similarities. Given that I am sure the people who ACTUALLY designed the logo's and approved them (I doubt Barry has the smarts to know a good logo from a bad one) had full access to millions of possibilities as well as the knowledge of effective logo designing.
  • my2cents Rodney 2012/03/18 23:33:26
    my2cents
    South Carolina is aware by now that they are using a globally recognized symbol of Islam on their state flag. Just like no one would use a swastika after the Nazis did, South Carolina should not be using a symbol that represents Islam. It's as simple as that.
  • Rodney my2cents 2012/03/18 23:52:36
    Rodney
    Okay, you want to take this to the absurd? Which reminds me, why is it Liberal always have to take everything to extreme to attempt to make a point?
    Let's go to the Pelasgians of Greece. Around 5BC which is about 1000 years before Islam. palasgia

The Muslims ripped off the Pelasgians and need to change their flag.
  • my2cents Rodney 2012/03/19 00:29:16
    my2cents
    If the Pelasgians were here today flying airliners into their buildings, the Muslims probably would.
  • Rodney my2cents 2012/03/19 03:33:36
    Rodney
    +1
    You are certifiable!
  • my2cents Rodney 2012/03/19 03:37:26
    my2cents
    All I know I've learned from Fox News.

I thought you'd be happy that I've joined your herd!
  • Rodney my2cents 2012/03/19 03:45:45
    Rodney
    +1
    I have no idea what goes on on FOX news. I listen to the Business channel until about noon, then I go on about my day. Soon as we get warmer weather, I will be working my ground and prepping it for garden and looking perfect, or get back in my unheated shop and start building stuff for kids again.
  • my2cents Rodney 2012/03/19 03:54:53 (edited)
    my2cents
    Sounds idyllic, I can't wait to get back in the garden soil again either.

Fox News claimed the crescent was a globally recognized symbol of Islam and the use of it was showing connections to Muslim countries:

• Rodney my2cents 2012/03/19 03:56:53
    Rodney
    +1
    I know what the claim is. I don't care. Like so much else that come from EVERY media source, you have to take it all with a grain of salt. If I lived my life by the media, I might have turned into a nut care with a rifle on a tall building.
  • my2cents Rodney 2012/03/19 05:17:03
    my2cents
    Many conservatives on SodaHead DO live by Fox News. That's the point.
  • Rodney my2cents 2012/03/19 06:11:38
    Rodney
    +1
    Just like all the liberals who live by MSNBC?
  • my2cents Rodney 2012/03/19 06:36:21 (edited)
    my2cents
    I wouldn't know. SodaHead is dominated by conservatives, and most of them live by Fox News, many have told me. If you want to find out about liberals, you'd have to find a liberally dominated blog site.
  • Rodney my2cents 2012/03/20 18:10:31
    Rodney
    +1
    LOL, guess it all depends on what end of the yard stick you're on. It seems to opposite to me. I can tell that a good percentage of the left on SH all repeat the same talking points I hear on all the Obama News sources.

One major case is the contention that Issa's hearing had no women on the panel of speakers. Peloser and Baloney (Pelosi and Maloney) as well as PP claim there were none, yet there were 2 of the 10 who were. I'd be happy to post their testimony if you like?
  • my2cents Rodney 2012/03/21 22:45:12 (edited)
    my2cents
    The House Committee on the contraceptive coverage rule had an "expert" panel of 5 religious leaders, all men, no women. One was Jewish (yamaka), one was black, three were white.

They were hand-picked by Darrell Issa (R-California), Chairman of the Committee. He chose no female representatives. There were women speakers, but no REPRESENTATIVES.

As conservatives say here on SodaHead all the time, one picture is worth 1,000 words:

panel
  • Rodney my2cents 2012/03/22 03:25:48
    Rodney
    Once again I have to correct you.

The Most Reverend William E. Lori, Roman Catholic Bishop of Bridgeport, CT, Chairman Ad Hoc Committee for Religious Liberty, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
    The Reverend Dr. Matthew C. Harrison, President, The Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod
    C. Ben Mitchell, Ph.D., Graves Professor of Moral Philosophy, Union University
    Rabbi Meir Soloveichik,Director of the Straus Center for Torah and Western Thought, Yeshiva University, Associate Rabbi, Congregation Kehilath Jeshurun
    Craig Mitchell, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Ethics Chair of the Ethics Department Associate Director of the Richard Land Center for Cultural Engagement, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
    John H. Garvey, President, The Catholic University of America
    Dr. William K. Thierfelder, President, Belmont Abbey College
    Dr. Samuel W. “Dub” Oliver, President, East Texas Baptist University
    Dr. Allison Dabbs Garrett, Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, Oklahoma Christian University
    Laura Champion, M.D., Medical Director, Calvin College Health Services

To read some of their testimony, go here.
    http://www.aaplog.org/get-inv...
  • my2cents Rodney 2012/03/22 06:07:51 (edited)
    my2cents
    Dude, you linked me in a loop. You referenced me to me.

Issa made a big mistake by not putting a woman on that first panel. I always wondered what reports meant by the all male "morning panel" or "first panel", which implied there was another one. But between several Dem women walking out because of the all male panel and his refusal to allow Fluke to speak at first, everything else got lost in the drama.

Actually, I'm pretty impressed. This is the kind of stuff the Reps do to Obama constantly. It looks like the clueless Senate Dems are finally learning how to play media politics.
  • Rodney my2cents 2012/03/22 19:12:37
    Rodney
    There were 10 (TEN) guest speakers. Two of those 10 were women. Take careful notice of the last two listed here and read their remarks.

REMEMBER,THE ISSUE IS CONSCIENCE RGHTS, NOT CONTRACEPTIVE RIGHTS. YOUR CONSCIENCE, BY THE WAY!
    Today (16th) the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee held a hearing titled, “Lines Crossed: Separation of Church and State. Has the Obama Administration Trampled on Freedom of Religion and Freedom of Conscience?” Written testimony and other resources are available here on the Committee’s website and this AP report describes the hearing. You may also be interested in the compilation of quotes from the witnesses pasted below.

“We serve people of all faiths, and none because they are catholic, but because we are catholic and our faith prompts us to do it and it flows from what we believe, how we worship and how we are to live. And so, we regard, for example, our catholic charities as really an outgrowth of our discipleship of the Lord and our communion with one another in the Lord and not a side business.”

The Reverend Dr. Matthew C. Harrison, President, The Lutheran Church – Mis...

“We deem this recent government mandate as an infringement upon the beliefs and practices of various religious communities. Therefore, we voice our public objections in solidarity with those who cherish their religious liberties. The decision by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to require virtually all health plans to comply with this mandate will have the effect of forcing many religious organizations to choose between following the letter of the law or operating within the framework of their religious tenets. We add our voice to the long list of those who have championed their God-given right to freely exercise their religious beliefs according to the dictates of their faith, and to provide compassionate care and clear Christian witness to society’s most vulnerable, without government encroachment.”

“I loathe the partisan nature of this discussion….I’m here for one reason, I am here because there is a narrow but very significant provision in HHS [regulations] that is I believe is very dangerous to religious people with our kind of convictions and I believe it’s also dangerous to any religious people who have unique convictions, so that’s why I am here.”

“The policy is an unconscionable intrusion by the state into the consciences of American citizens. Contrary to portrayals in some of the popular media, this is not only a Catholic issue. All people of faith—and even those who claim no faith—have a stake in whether or not the government can violate the consciences of its citizenry. Religious liberty and the freedom to obey one’s conscience is also not just a Baptist issue. It is an American issue that is enshrined in our founding documents.”

“In refusing to extend religious liberty beyond the parameters of what the administration chooses to deem religious conduct, the administration denies people of faith the ability to define their religious activity. Therefore, not only does the new regulation threaten religious liberty in the narrow sense, in requiring Catholic communities to violate their religious tenets, but also the administration impedes religious liberty by unilaterally redefining what it means to be religious.”

“The President’s spokesman recently when speaking about this subject said that what their concern is that they don’t want religious employers or organization restricting access to specific prescriptions etc. but of course those who have a religious objection are not seeking in America to restrict their access to it, what they are seeking is the freedom in their own right not to facilitate something that violates the tenants of their own faith.”

“It is the church that was responsible for the creation of hospitals. The church was also responsible for much of the development of healthcare. With this kind of history, it is ironic that the religious organizations should have their rights crushed in the name of health care. If this is allowed to stand then there is nothing that the U.S. government cannot compel its citizens to do. Explain to me how all of this is consistent with the American ideal.”

“ Because there will be no added costs, religious institutions will not actually have to pay for the mandated services. We might call this the Shazam Theory. It resolves the intrusion on religious liberty by making the compelled contributions magically disappear.”

“From a moral point of view, the administration’s cost savings don’t matter even if they are real. When a student who is enrolled in our plan purchases contraceptives at the local CVS pharmacy, CVS will seek payment from the insurance company. The payment for that service will be charged to our account, funded by our contributions. The Shazam Theory assumes that charges for other drugs and services will go down as a result of contraceptive use. But it is still true that the University and its subscribers are being forced to pay for sterilizations, contraceptives, and abortions, and those are activities we view as immoral.”

“The administration offered what it seemed to think was a nice gesture on January 20th, when it gave those religious organizations that do not qualify for the exemption an extra year to comply.

An extra year to learn how to violate our conscience and betray our deepest religious principles. I’ve explained this as akin to being told, “We know you use oxygen to breathe, so we’re going to give you an extra year to figure out how to breathe without it, and we hope by then you’ve adapted.” Our religious beliefs and principles – and our freedom to express them without government interference – are as importance to us as the air we breathe. They are not something we are prepared to abandon in a year’s time because the government says we have to.”

“This issue is not about women’s health, it is about religious liberty. It is about whether the government will force religious people and organizations to do something they believe is wrong. Everyone here wants women to have access to good health care. We are asking that our religious views be respected.”

“If the government can force Catholic monks to dispense birth control, what can’t it do? If the government can decide that East Texas Baptist University is not religious enough to have the right to religious liberty, what can’t it do? If this administration can just decide that religious beliefs are less important than its chosen policy goals, what can’t it do?

These questions are frightening. And that is why religious organizations and people of will from all across the spectrum are joining together out of concern that this mandate threatens to erode one of our most precious rights, our religious liberty, guaranteed to us by the First Amendment.”

“This debate is not about whether women have the right to obtain these drugs. Rather, this debate is about whether those who believe that contraceptives or abortifacients violate their religious convictions must pay for them. There is a vast difference between the right to make a purchase for oneself and requiring someone else to pay for it.”

“Even when Americans hold vastly different views on the sanctity of life, this mandate raises a point that should be examined by all: do we value religious freedom in our country or not? Further, the mandate elevates contraception and abortive drugs to the level of preventative health care. They are not. Plan B and Ella should not be considered equivalent to cancer screening or vaccinations. Pregnancy is not a disease. This is a premise that I reject both religiously and medically.”

“This is not about politics, this is not about contraception, and this is not about depriving women of health care. Rather, this is personal. This is about my daily life as a physician, a Christian, and a Medical Services Director. Whether I will be able as a physician to practice medicine within my belief system. Whether Calvin College will be able to continue its historic tradition of living out the faith it teaches. A government that is of the people, by the people, and for the people, should not force the people to violate their consciences.”
  • Murph 65 2012/03/16 23:56:45
    Murph 65
    +2
    Because it's a non-issue and right now people are more concerned with the economy.
  • my2cents Murph 65 2012/03/18 01:53:06
    my2cents
    +1
    Nope. Conservatives take their cues from Fox News, if Fox says it's a problem, then it's a problem. SC needs to change their state flag. It looks like the flags of Saudi Arabia and Pakistan combined!

2014/04/16 04:25:30