Who does this quote belong to?

diane RN 2012/05/01 16:16:10
"You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot lift the wage earner up
by pulling the wage payer down.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man
by inciting class hatred.
You cannot build character and courage
by taking away people's initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them,
what they could and should do for themselves."

• diane RN 2012/05/01 16:23:59
    Obama's idol Abe Lincoln?
    diane RN
    +3
    Toward the end of one of his State of the Union speeches, President Obama quoted Abraham Lincoln: "government should do for people only what they cannot do better by themselves, and no more.” btw, abe lincoln was the first republican pres

• Bella 2012/05/01 17:00:42
    Obama's idol Abe Lincoln?
    Bella
    Here's more..."I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country; corporations have been enthroned, an era of corruption in High Places will follow, and the Money Power of the Country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the People, until the wealth is aggregated in a few hands, and the Republic is destroyed."

Abraham Lincoln
  • diane RN Bella 2012/05/02 01:23:22
    diane RN
    Scary, sounds like Obama, doesnt it!
  • Bella diane RN 2012/05/02 01:38:46
    Bella
    Lincoln sounds just like the majority of Americans today unhappy with the 1%
  • diane RN Bella 2012/05/02 19:03:28
    diane RN
    +1
    You apparently didnt read the first line....
  • Bella diane RN 2012/05/02 23:38:09
    Bella
    What's wrong with the entire quote
  • diane RN Bella 2012/05/02 23:44:23
    diane RN
    +1
    Dont take offense to this but you better read it and think about what it says, its not that difficult. Sorry, if you dont get it I'm not going to take the time to try to explain it to you.
  • Bella diane RN 2012/05/03 00:11:21
    Bella
    You assume a lot about others. Quote is quite understandable and requires no interpretation. You're having difficulty with the 1% reference, it must have been too sophisticated.
  • diane RN Bella 2012/05/03 00:21:23
    diane RN
    +1
    My sentiments exactly;)
  • john Kills 2012/05/01 16:51:03
    Obama's idol Abe Lincoln?
    john Kills
    +1
    The liberals always point to their "fact" that our forefather's beliefs are old and outdated. They are not outdated, wisdom is timeless. Our fore fathers spoke from deep, well thought out reasoning. Ron Paul wants to bring that back.
  • Batou 2012/05/01 16:47:01
    George Bush?
    Batou
    The Ten Cannots were penned by Presbyterian minister William J. H. Boetcker.

• diane RN 2012/05/01 16:23:59
    Obama's idol Abe Lincoln?
    diane RN
    +3
  • Schläue~© diane RN 2012/05/01 16:32:50
    Schläue~©
    +1
    He has a habit of reading those same type, pearls of wisdom every year and hits the campaign trail the next day, touting another stimulus package.
  • Tennessean diane RN 2012/05/02 00:47:13
    Tennessean
    I would prefer to have Obama quote Madison,considered the father of the constitution, when he said, "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."

2014/04/19 09:41:21