Which kills more people each year? Gun violence,drunk drivers, or automobiles being operated irresponsibly?

Sport_Geoff 2012/12/17 14:26:21
Gun violence kills more people.........
Drunk drivers kill more people........
Wreckless and irresponsible drivers kill more people.....
Here's my thoughts.......................
Do some research and the answer may shock you if you don't know. Guns, alcohol, and automobiles are all legal and there is nothing wrong with any of them when used responsibly. What about obesity? Do we ban and control food also so that those who are irresponsible in their dietary habits can no longer "eat themselves to death"? Any death as a result of any one is a tragedy and the question is posed
to get people that call for bans on guns to stop and think about exactly
what are they willing to give up and what their actions could set into motion. Please keep the families of everyone who is killed by one of these tragedies in your thoughts and prayers.

• Rob Clary 2012/12/17 14:56:17 (edited)
    Rob Clary
    +6
    Total all 3 and still you can't equal the body count resulting from the 2500+ daily abortions in America.

Let's not suddenly pretend that we value life.

• moknowsky 2013/02/21 04:48:32
    moknowsky
    Our worthless politicians; the ones who have abnegated their oaths to protect and defend the Constitution
  • David Webb 2013/02/06 19:13:18
  • Denny Boy 2012/12/18 21:28:50
    Denny Boy
    +1
    We should create stricter laws on driving irresponsibly. If people will be afraid to do dangerous things with their automobiles, there will be less accidents
  • Sport_G... Denny Boy 2012/12/18 21:55:46
    Sport_Geoff
    Excellent point.......we should tighten gun laws also but the problem I think is enforcement just like with laws about driving irresponsibly. It's good to see a young person engaged in important social issues BTW............
  • Wizard_in_Time 2012/12/18 19:09:56
    Wizard_in_Time
    +1
    Not sure, but hospitals kill more than guns do, annually.
  • Sport_G... Wizard_... 2012/12/18 21:56:59
    Sport_Geoff
    +1
    Correct, medical malpractice is becoming a serious problem today and needs to be addressed also.
  • VERYwiseguy 2012/12/18 03:56:12
    VERYwiseguy
    None of the above: Legal prescription meds.
  • Sport_G... VERYwis... 2012/12/18 13:38:16
    Sport_Geoff
    Drunk driver kill more people than gun violence every year.........FACT
  • VERYwis... Sport_G... 2012/12/19 03:18:09
    VERYwiseguy
    +1
    Actually car accidents with gun shots a close second.If you want to get to the root of the problem it's mental health.And when you combine alcohol/pills with guns or cars etc... Need I type more? And prescription pill abuse is an epidemic in the US.My girlfriend got pulled over for driving under the limit.YES really. lol And the cop kept asking her over and over.Are you on medication? Because she was sober from alcohol. I've been pulled over more times than I can remember and never ,ever was asked that even once. 40 people a day on average die from just the pain killer meds not counting the other ones especially when mixed with alcohol.Can we say Karen Ann Quinlin circa 1975? Before ANYONE could buy pills on line. Car accidents average 100 people daily and gun shots average 87 dead.
  • Maleficent 2012/12/17 23:32:52
    Gun violence kills more people.........
    Maleficent
    +1
    i think gun violence does. just my perception.
  • Sport_G... Maleficent 2012/12/18 13:38:46
    Sport_Geoff
    Look it up.........Drunk drivers do................
  • 11 Phenomenon - eNews 2012/12/17 21:55:00
    11 Phenomenon - eNews
    +1
    By far reckless drivers. Add the drunk drivers and it is even worse. Seems they are back to slapping drunk drivers on the wrist again. I see a lot more of them on the roads these days. Reckless drivers are apparently not as easy a ticket for police, so they stick to the speed traps. But anyway... Maybe the same people calling for banning guns would like to ride bicycles around in the name of safety.
  • Todd Parsons 2012/12/17 20:53:19
    Drunk drivers kill more people........
    Todd Parsons
    +1
    Yet most of them get a pass
  • VERYwis... Todd Pa... 2012/12/20 02:42:37
    VERYwiseguy
    Not in PA or NJ where I lived. These signs are all over in my area. pa drunk driving you can t afford it sign pa drunk driving you can t afford it sign pa high crash area sign I know of one person out of countless in PA/NJ that got DUI/DWI's since the laws changed in the 80's.ONE,And the reason was the cop that pulled him over had plumbing work performed by him.The cop should be fired he passed 4 cars drunk as ship in a no passing zone.He called me to pick him up and drive his truck back to his home.And he was blasted you could smell the liquor on him from 3 ft. away! What's good for the goose is good for the gander period. ;)
  • DuncanONeil 2012/12/17 20:40:07
    DuncanONeil
    +1
    Both wreckless & drunk. Since driving drunk IS irresponsible!
    Drunk drivers kill more people........
    +1
    Drunks, irresponsible drivers, and even more than the two of them put together are doctors and hospitals.
  • Sport_G... none 2012/12/17 20:30:27
    Sport_Geoff
    +1
    dont get me started on DR.'s and hospitals. I recently found out that most of the foreign doctors here practicing are exempt from malpractice suits no matter how bad hey screw up.
  • none Sport_G... 2012/12/17 20:49:54
    +1
    You're kidding, how is that possible??
  • Sport_G... none 2012/12/17 20:53:16
    Sport_Geoff
    Beat me but I had a friend who had a family member given the wrong medicine, prescribed by a foreign doctor, and it nearly killed the family member and caused some permanent damage. They went to a lawyer to sue and when the lawyer found out it was a foreign doctor here from another country he told them that they cant be sued. This was about 4 years ago...........
  • none Sport_G... 2012/12/17 20:57:04
    +1
    Something like diplomatic immunity perhaps, it doesn't sound right or fair.
  • Sport_G... none 2012/12/17 21:02:39
    Sport_Geoff
    +1
    I was told the family member's chart was clearly noted as the person having heart problems and current medications were all listed. The doctor failed to read the chart and prescribed a medicine that stopped and damaged the person heart and made resuscitation take additional time which further damaged the heart and brain. I have heard other similar stories from people and even a physician. No, it's neither right nor fair but since when has any government regulation been right or fair?
  • Stardust 2012/12/17 20:04:13
  • ehrhornp 2012/12/17 17:39:44
    ehrhornp
    Drunk drivers is a subgroup of irresponsible drivers.

Only in America are so many killed by guns. While the number one cause of gun death is suicide many innocents are killed. It is pathetic that many feel nothing should be done and such collateral damage is somehow worth it.
  • Sport_G... ehrhornp 2012/12/17 18:18:32
    Sport_Geoff
    There are more people killed every year by drunk drivers than by gun violence. Look it up..it's a FACT
  • ehrhornp Sport_G... 2012/12/18 05:14:17
    ehrhornp
    As I said drunk drivers are a subgroup of irresponsible drivers. I think that populations is larger than idiots running around with guns. Not everyone owns a gun but just about everyone knows how to drive.
  • skull 2012/12/17 16:34:44
    skull
    We have to go back and time a eye for a eye . I think what kills people is education not being resposible enough for this type of these type of tools .
  • MiniB 2012/12/17 16:15:46
    Drunk drivers kill more people........
    MiniB
    +1
    I suppose drunk drivers can be classified with wreckless and irresponsible drivers.
  • Sport_G... MiniB 2012/12/17 16:46:13
    Sport_Geoff
    Actually they can but I listed it separate because of the incidences of those who are texting or non-alcohol related things that have led to deaths.
  • MiniB Sport_G... 2012/12/17 18:49:25
    MiniB
    +1
    Gotcha.... I forgot about the texting thing...which is getting out of control. I'm all for liberty but this texting thing has hit deadly proportions
    Thanks for clearing that up
  • Racefish 2012/12/17 16:15:15
    Racefish
    "Despite efforts to build cars to better withstand accidents and reduce threats posed by distracted driving, traffic fatalities for the first three months of 2012 have shown a "significant increase" compared with government statistics from a year earlier.

An estimated 7,630 people died in motor vehicle traffic crashes for the first quarter this year, a 13.5% increase compared with the same period in 2011, when there were 6,720 fatalities, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration."

http://articles.cnn.com/2012-...

In 2011, the traffic toll dropped again to 32,367.

"In one year, 31,593 people died from gun violence and 66,769 people survived gun injuries (National Center for Injury Prevention and Control (NCIPC))."

http://www.bradycampaign.org/...

As it stands right now, there's a pretty good chance we will see that guns and cars (including trucks) are about equal. However, no one is having panic attacks over cars and trucks the same as guns.
    The thing about cars is everyone who can see and have reasonable mobility can get a car. There is also a rising number of truck deaths.
    Drunk driving is another factor. In 2010, there were 10,759 deaths directly associated with drunk driving.

http://www.centurycouncil.org...

T...

http://articles.cnn.com/2012-...

http://www.bradycampaign.org/...

http://www.centurycouncil.org...

The fact is the problem isn't going away as long as gangs still exist and drugs are available. Get rid of the gangs and the drugs. Then you'd significantly cut down on gun deaths. Liberals don't want to confront the problem however. It's more "politic" to blame the gun and not the shooter.

http://www.violenceprevention...

http://www.thetruthaboutguns....

"You can help by forgetting you ever read this man’s name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news."
  • Professor Wizard 2012/12/17 16:12:49
    Professor Wizard
    +1
    Doctors kill the most people.
  • Airwool 2012/12/17 15:58:02
    Airwool
    +1
    Heart failure is the number one killer. Lets do something meaningful against that...
  • ProudProgressive 2012/12/17 15:37:31
    ProudProgressive
    +2
    Anything CAN become a weapon of violence in the wrong hands. You can stab someone with a pencil. You can bludgeon someone with a golf club. And of course you can hit someone with a car. But pencils, golf clubs and cars are not INTENDED to be used as weapons of violence. Guns serve no purpose whatsoever BUT to be used as weapons of violence. That is the fundamental difference that gun advocates continue to ignore.

No one is advocating a ban on guns. But even a majority of NRA members agree that we can have sensible regulations that might prevent tragedies like what happened in Newtown without interfering with a law abiding private citizen's right to keep and bear arms. I cannot understand why folks like you are unwilling to even TALK about the issue.

• Sport_G... ProudPr... 2012/12/17 16:08:57
    Sport_Geoff
    +1
    You are incorrect PP about guns serving no purpose other than violence. Many men and women feed their families with the meat they legally hunt and kill responsibly and never buy processed meats saving their family $1,000.00s a year that can be used for other necessities. They hunt and fish to fill their freezers and feed their families. I own guns and have never committed a violent act with one but if someone breaks into my house to harm me or my loved ones I would kill them. That is not an act of violence that is an act of protection / defense. I am all for sensible regulations...no one needs fully automatic weapons and there are too many guns manufactured that can be easily modified from semi-automatic to fully automatic for less than $100.00.....that needs to be stopped. We absolutely need to be sure that people who buy weapons are not mentally ill.

"we can have sensible regulations that might prevent tragedies like what happened in Newtown"...please tell me what sensible regulation would have stopped this. Perhaps limiting the clip size would have reduced the death toll....I'll go for a limit on clip size and capacity. No one should need thirty shots to kill a deer or wild hog. You are damning the weapon along with the user when the flat out truth is that a .22...

"we can have sensible regulations that might prevent tragedies like what happened in Newtown"...please tell me what sensible regulation would have stopped this. Perhaps limiting the clip size would have reduced the death toll....I'll go for a limit on clip size and capacity. No one should need thirty shots to kill a deer or wild hog. You are damning the weapon along with the user when the flat out truth is that a .22 rifle can be just as deadly if used by a trained shooter. How many people are killed or hurt violently by a knife each year? Do you want to control knives also? More people are killed by drunk drivers every year than gun violence but I haven't seen you post for stricter controls on alcohol or automobiles. You want to blame the tool and not the user it appears.

Timothy Mcveigh killed 168 people and injured another 800 using fertilizer and racing fuel which are perfectly legal and useful for growing food and running cars. He was absolutely deranged but should he have been screened before being allowed to buy these things? Have you ever put a small amount of some types of laundry detergent in your hand with a few drops of water? It gets hot quickly and mixed in proper proportions can become a deadly weapon. Point being is if there is a will there will be a way.

Lets address the culture we have now in which violence is glorified by video games such as Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty...lets address the culture of hateful music that denigrates women and authority. The majority of violent criminals are not people that just woke up one day and snapped and decided to kill people. They typically are people who have been raised in a culture of violence (both real and fantasy) that is accepted and glorified.
  • ProudPr... Sport_G... 2012/12/17 16:20:01
    ProudProgressive
    Hunters don't need assault weapons any more than anyone else does. And I agree with your right to protect yourself, your home and your family with a gun if you choose to. I just don't understand why you would need an assault weapon to do it, or why you would need to own over 100 guns (as many afficionados do) for protection. You can only fire one or maybe two guns at a time, after all.

I do agree with you that if someone is determined to do violence, like Tim McVeigh, they will find a way to do it no matter what regulations we might have. But we shouldn't make it any easier to do so. That's why I truly believe that part of the discussion we have to have is how to identify people with mental or emotional problems and how to make better treatment available to them so that they get help before they snap.

By the way, I assume you heard about the incident in China that happened the same day as the Connecticut shootings - a crazy man broke into a school area and stabbed 22 children. They all lived. I don't think its reasonable to assume that all 22 would have survived if the nutjob had had an assault rifle.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...

Oh and PS - I dont recall posting about stronger alcohol or automobile laws because I don't remember the subject ever coming up. I'm not sure...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...

Oh and PS - I dont recall posting about stronger alcohol or automobile laws because I don't remember the subject ever coming up. I'm not sure what else could be done. If someone has their license taken away because of a drunk driving conviction that doesn't stop them from getting into a car anyway. And while I generally avoid it personally anyway, I don't think we can further restrict access to alcohol by people above a certain age. Putting a breathalyzer interlock into every car in America would cut down on drunk driving, but I doubt a law like that could ever be passed. It's an interesting subject for another time.
  • Sport_G... ProudPr... 2012/12/17 16:28:03
    Sport_Geoff
    You make some good points but I disagree about an interlock on every car. There are millions of Americans who don't drink period. By putting the interlock on their car you are proclaiming them guilty and worthy of monitoring without cause. It comes down to parenting for me......I have friends and family that allow their young kids (8 years old's) to watch violent movies, play violent video games, and listen to hate filled music.....some of them have no idea what their children are watching and playing even and a few even took it away when they found out. Too many people want the government to do what they can't or won't through laws such as very strict gun control instead of raising their children with values and knowing the difference between right and wrong.
  • ProudPr... Sport_G... 2012/12/17 19:17:15
    ProudProgressive
    +1
    I wasn't actually advocating an interlock on every car. It would pretty much eliminate 99% of the drunk driving incidents (there's nothing to stop someone from downing a pint of Jack Daniels AFTER they turn the key, after all), but I agree that it is too much of an intrusion into the lives of the majority of people who never drive drunk for it to be worth it (not to mention that the price of cars would go up).

I do agree that "proper" parenting is probably the single most significant factor in all of this. But we cannot force parents to raise their children a certain way, nor would I be happy about such an attempt. What we need to do is to convince parents that they SHOULD teach their children about the dangers and responsibilities of owning a gun, not force them to do it.
  • THE One... ProudPr... 2012/12/17 16:49:10
  • Sport_G... THE One... 2012/12/17 17:03:35
    Sport_Geoff
    +1
    Exactly............how many celebrities have been arrested DUI under the influence of drugs or alcohol but no one questions their right to own several cars.
  • THE One... Sport_G... 2012/12/17 17:12:45

2014/04/18 05:56:02