What Are Entitlements ?

Breaking News 2011/01/27 21:02:38
Related Topics: Pension, Congress, GOP, Veterans

We hear that "Entitlements" word thrown around a lot especially by the GOP that claims they are evil and must be cut. So what are these evil entitlements ?

An entitlement is a guarantee of access to benefits based on established rights or by legislation. A "right" is itself an entitlement associated with a moral or social principle, such that an "entitlement" is a provision made in accordance with legal framework of a society. Typically, entitlements are laws based on concepts of principle ("rights") which are themselves based in concepts of social equality or enfranchisement.

In a casual sense, the term "entitlement" refers to a notion or belief that one (or oneself) is deserving of some particular reward or benefit —if given without deeper legal or principled cause, the term is often given with pejorative connotation (e.g. a "sense of entitlement").

Government Entitlement Programs

Combined Federal, State and Local Welfare Budget, 1992 (millions)

Medicaid $118,067

AFDC 24,923

Food Stamps 24,918

Supplemental Security Income 22,774

Lower income housing asst. 12,307

Earned Income Tax Credit 9,553

Veterans medical care 7,838

Stafford loans 5,683

Social Services (Title 20) 5,419

Pell Grants 5,374

Low-rent public housing 5,008

General medical assistance 4,850

Foster Care 4,170

School Lunch 3,895

Pensions for needy veterans 3,667

General Assistance 3,340

Head Start 2,753

Food supplements, Women, infants and children 2,600

Training for disadvantaged youth and adults 1,744

Low-income energy assistance 1,594

Rural housing loans 1,468

Indian Health Services 1,431

Summer youth employment 1,183

Maternal and child health 1,059

JOBS and WIN 1,010

Job Corps 955

Child care block grant 825

School Breakfast 782

Child care for AFDC 755

Nutrition Program for Elderly 659

Housing interest reduction 652

Child and adult care food program 624

"At risk" child care 604

Source: Library of Congress, Congressional Research Service, "Cash
and Noncash Benefits for Persons with Limited Income: Eligibility Rules,
Recipient and Expenditure Data, FY 1990-92," Report 93-832 EPW and earlier reports.

Of course, there are many entitlement programs that are not necessarily for persons with limited income, including Medicare and Veterans Benefits, that add up to more dollars than this.

So the question is are these Entitlement programs the big evil the GOP says it is and should they be cut ?

• Werdnar 2011/01/28 05:37:41
    I have never used Entitlement programs and I think..
    Werdnar
    +5
    I paid into Social Security and Medicare. Even though Congress spent the SS fund on other BS, I feel like I should get my money back. I served in the armed forces during war time - was not wounded, though. I do not use VA benefits, except to buy my first home.

The biggest entitlement that should be cut back is the GOLDEN benefit package that Congress has voted for themselves. They are not rulers. They are servants.

• robert kent 2013/02/06 20:25:29
    robert kent
    Do you remember at the end of It's a Wonderful Life? Jimmy Stewart is surrounded by his neighbors and friends who have came to support him. It is so important to have sense of community. That you are not alone. It goes against nature and God to see anyone in need and turn your back. No one can do it by themselves.

There is a huge class of people who work 40 hours a week and do not bring home 400 dollars a week. Shelter, food, and health are under constant threat. What do you think that does to that persons psyche?

For those that say poor decisions lead him there? Shame on you and go have a conversation with someone a part of the working class. There are people who went to school but never quite understood what was being taught. There are people that through some miracle made it through high school. There are people who knew that if high school was hard, college would-be impossible. There are people wo fall in love and get married and have children because love is not exclusive to the wealthy. Now they work a back breaking job that barely make ends meet. They are stuck.

What decision did he make that was wrong?
  • newnorm 2012/11/12 14:39:43
    I have used Entitlement programs and I think...
    newnorm
    As a veteran with a service connected disability. I am currently using these so called entitlements such as vet medical care and disability benefits. I dont understand what in the he... everyone is talking about. Da... right I am entitled, who says Im not.
  • tracy.s... newnorm 2012/12/30 22:56:44
    tracy.schulties
    I don't think vet entitlements should be cut at all. Our soldiers should get what congress is getting.
  • Dan 2012/10/02 19:40:50
    Dan
    Some people relay on entitlement programs due to disability or age. This I have no problem with. Its the lazy freeloaders that are cheating and scamming me, a hard-working taxpayer our of tons of money through fraud that I don't care for.
  • Daniel Lowery 2011/07/25 18:00:32
    Daniel Lowery
    There are so many people out there who do structure thier lives around what small means they can scrape together because there are next to no other alternatives. I am unemployed right now and have been denied uneployment benefits because the terms of my seperation didn't match thier rules. Most of the people I know live on the brink of poverty anyway and not for lack of trying. How about instead of cutting benefits they come together and make rules that are more align with what the public needs are. There is a huge need growing in america for "help" not a hand out to get used to but a major change needs to happen. The two places that need the most help are Education and Jobs! Education for all not just school aged children, put us all back to school, i know too many adults who don't even read at a 6th grade level! I've started a petition to cut government payroll before they do away with funding for "entitlements" This is real, America needs to wake up, they're getting ready to squeeze the mid to lower classes to the breaking point. restructure where its needed and if main street has to suffer then its time we let congress know they're going down with us. Tax those who can afford it, I know I can't. LEts see how they like making minimum wage with no overtime.
  • Daniel ... Daniel ... 2011/07/25 18:01:29
    Daniel Lowery
    +3
    the link for the petition can be found here http://www.change.org/petitio...
  • Freedom4 Daniel ... 2011/08/08 23:58:32
    Freedom4
    Why can't you actually take responsibility for yourself and take out student loans like everyone else that goes to college? Why must you sit around whining and demanding others pay for something you could easily do.
  • Stephanie Freedom4 2011/12/15 02:09:40
    Stephanie
    +2
    I REALLY don't think that's what Daniel is talking about. Government empoyees, especially office holders, make much more than most people today. They give themselves raises all the time, yet continue to tax those of us 1 paycheck from homelessness. I had surgery in early 2009, and woke up paralyzed from waste down. I am an RN, and was making really good money at the time. I cannot work at all now, not even a desk job because of the meds I take. I have long term disability from work, and they figured out what 60% of my income was & began paying me. When I got on disability (NOT PROUD!!), they STILL have to pay me part of the amount they came up with b/c SS barely pays me 50% of my RN income. I am 45, worked since it was legal (& before), the last 15 yrs as an RN. I paid into SS all those yrs, and still can't get even 1/2 of my RN income. That is MY $$, I AM entitled to it, but... SS just got the first cost of living raise since '09, starting Jan '12. I can BARELY AFFORD AN APT, COULD NEVER AFFORD TO BUY & UPKEEP A SMALL, CRAMPED HOUSE.Yet, most gov officials own 2+ homes, then get a tax break OR somehow get into same tax bracket that I'm in. If we CUT gov officials salaries by as little as 5%, US could fund better education grants & such.

My husband is 42, caucasion, an Army VETE...

&

My husband is 42, caucasion, an Army VETERAN (honorable d/c, 1996, paid to be elibible for GI bill for post military school. HE'S NOT ELIGIBLE, EVEN THOUGH HE PAID INTO IT! They don't tell you when you sign up that you have to use it within 10 yrs of seperation or you lose it.He paid for it, he should be entitled to use GI Bill as long as he's alive, not just 10 yrs.

I know this is rambling, but I agree w Daniel & am flabbergasted w Freedom4's interpretation of his post.
  • Freedom4 Stephanie 2011/12/15 02:11:18
    Freedom4
    Look, people in your situation I am fine with helping. I thin almost everyone is. It is the lazy able bodied people that need to be kicked off entitlements.
  • PastorJ... Daniel ... 2013/03/04 16:41:08
    PastorJEKJR
    +2
    I agree, I also believe that the "Entitlement Benefits" and restructuring should start at the "Political Arena", the Government should be cut in half, and what is left should have their Gov paychecks cut in half, they are to be there to serve the Citizens just as the Military serves for the benefit of our Citizens and Nation, our Military Personnel receive less income and benefits that some people on public welfare, *Note, I believe that all need a hand-up sometimes, but not hand-outs. I also think anyone on public welfare benefits should undergo drug testing to receive benefits, however, Social Security Benefits are paid into by the person receiving them, and are more of an insurance policy than an Entitlement. When the politicians are wasting more money in a month than most make in a year, we should take that money directly out of the pockets of the politicians.
  • peed off 2011/07/11 17:58:35
    peed off
    I have worked hard for 45 years just to make ends meet. I have paid for my Social Security and Medicare in advance! How the "F" can the bozo's in Congress consider taking my pay check and insurance away now when I can not do anything about it! I can not work anymore and every penny I receive from my fixed Social Security check is needed to pay my increased cost of livinig. There is really something wrong with those good fellows up there. They add employees to the Government and the private sector loses jobs. They are supposed to be the smartest minds in the Country! WHY DON'T THEY FIX THE REAL PROBLEM??
  • jmiller38 2011/07/06 15:59:10
    jmiller38
    What sort of reliable article is this? 1992 statistics? Hardly relevant today (FY2012). Add millions of additional recipients and factor by inflation for nearly 20 years. I'd estimate the allocaations to be somewhere around triple the expenditures documented with 1992 data.
  • Freedom4 2011/03/31 12:22:34
    Freedom4
    +2
    Entitlements are a HUGE problem. A vast majority of entitlements go to perfectly able bodied people that could take care of themselves but choose to live off the backs of others because they feel entitled to other people's hard earned money. More than Half the entire federal budget goes to entitlements, which again go to people that could support themselves but CHOOSE not to. Entitlements also lock people into poverty by making them too comfortable in their poverty and taking away the incentive to work. This creates generations and generations of people that have no work ethic and become unproductive members of society. These same people, instead of appreciating the fact that other people are basically their slaves working to suppor tthem, they do not even appreciate it. Instead they get mad and attack those that actually pay for everything they have demanding more and more every day. They blame these same hard workers for their own poor decisions in life that they CHOOSE.

I am for temporary assistance for those that truely need it and am happy to give to local charities that do what I consider good services for those that do need temporary help. When the government does it, it does not help those actually working to get a head. It only enslaves people to poverty and generates abuse.
  • bboy Freedom4 2011/08/08 22:18:08
    bboy
    +3
    Entitltlments are a huge problem every time CEO's and executives entitle themselves to multi millions in income a pay the rest of the company low wages and don't even bother to try and produce a decent medical situation very few people get rich without the "backs" of others so while many might live in poverty off the backs of a few that's better than a few living lavishly off the backs of many in my opinion.
  • Freedom4 bboy 2011/08/08 23:53:32
    Freedom4
    +2
    Nonsense, they actually work for it and pay millions in taxes. It is clear you are being nonsensical. Rich people do not get there on the backs of others. They increase the living standards of those that choose to work for them because they provide the best alternative for their skill set. They improve the lives of everyone that works for them and make many other people rich. Unlike the lazy welfare bums that simply steal from their neighbors and literally live off the backs of others and even steal from our children.
  • bboy Freedom4 2011/08/08 22:39:19
    bboy
    +2
    Also not everybody that's poor made bad decisions some people have bad decisions thrust upon them like the bad decision by banks to charge a 300% interest on a dollar overcharge why not 18-22% like creditors because they don't care if that dollar bounces 6 other checks that's more $$$$ for them u see it all the time cell phone companies sending 20,000$ phone bills to people and the list can go on the point is if company's stopped f'ing people around every corner our economy would be a lot more stable but when the big dogs are'nt even trying to watch out for the little dogs & in fact trying to f him before the other big dogs can there's no hope in sight
  • Freedom4 bboy 2011/08/08 23:57:04
    Freedom4
    +2
    (1) Every able bodied person can succeed and it really is ONLY by their choices how their lives turn out.

(2) Are you referring to those that willingly opened a bank accounting knowing good and well what happens if you borrow their money without asking for it, through committing check fraud, yet choose to do it anyway.

You really don't have a clue about reality do you?

Maybe if you stop with your poor attitude and try to actually improve your life instead of sitting around blaming everyone else for your poor decisions, you would be much happier and successful ,
  • Stephanie Freedom4 2011/12/15 02:48:05
    Stephanie
    +2
    Here's a clue about reality. Reality in healthcare jobs. My husband is a surgical technician, passing instruments & assisting surgeon during surgery. Besides anesthesia, probably most important hospital employed peron in the room. If he has a case go bad, he has to remain as calm as surgeon & continue to work as if all is well, unless surgery has to stop & CPR has to be given. The knowledge he has as well as the skills, makes him one of the best I've ever seen. Yet, most surg tech start a couple of dollars over min wage. Since he's done this many years, Army traineed, he makes decent $$. The kids coming out of high school & going to college to BE one are NEEDED, but when they get that job, they goof off & the whole group in turn, gets a lower starting salary. Not many ppl have the work ethic he (& I) have.
    He LOVES what he does, as I did.
    Anyway, healthcare workers are NOT paid what they are worth. It is the "suits" that get the big bucks, not those of us who actually DO the work. Yes, we both CHOSE to do what we do/did. Where would you be if there weren't ppl like us who chose to make less to take care of others. To us, success is NOT $$, it is saving a life, helping patients either get better or help them ease the pain at the end. There is also the success at home. I was married...&&&
    He LOVES what he does, as I did.
    Anyway, healthcare workers are NOT paid what they are worth. It is the "suits" that get the big bucks, not those of us who actually DO the work. Yes, we both CHOSE to do what we do/did. Where would you be if there weren't ppl like us who chose to make less to take care of others. To us, success is NOT $$, it is saving a life, helping patients either get better or help them ease the pain at the end. There is also the success at home. I was married before. I had diamonds on every finger. I worked only b/c I wanted to. I WAS MISERABLE. I'd rather be, in your apparent definition, UNSUCCESSFUL & have a job & husband/fam I love than to be successful & f-ing miserable.
    BTW, you are one of the uppercrust sh--heads who would never understand what I just said, aren't you? It's all about the $$ w you, right?
  • Stephanie Freedom4 2011/12/15 02:26:54
    Stephanie
    +1
    SOOOO, what's the point of this post? 1st you bash "entitlements" then reveal you are recieving help.
    I am a proud person & b/c of general public opinion that ppl on disability are just lazy, I rarely speak of it except in my circle of friends & family. I said earlier that I have worked since legal age & before (cash under table @ local store starting @ age 12). I had back surgery & was paralyzed from waist down, can't return to previous job, can't do desk work b/c of meds I'm on. I'm in a 2 income household. I HAD to get Disability so our fam could stay in an apt instead of go homeless. Isn't that what the program is there for? Then why do I feel like ppl look down on me b/c I utilize what little help there is available? I don't have an Escalade or Lexus, we barely make it thru the month, and have cars, both paid off long before I had surg, both are over 10 yrs old.
    Are you gonna tell my 6 yr old why we live in a shelter & can't eat regularly??
  • Freedom4 Stephanie 2011/12/15 15:17:07
    Freedom4
    +1
    Look, here you criticize those "suits" that are paying for you to stay out of a shelter. I have to wear a suit every day at a job you could do partially paralyzed, yet you vilify me you ungrateful person. Even with that, I do not mind working even more hours than almost everyone else to have almost half my income help people like you even though you do not even appreciate that. I really do not see why I have to work to pay for people that are able bodied and simply choose to live off my back instead of taking the time to invest in themselves as I did. By the way, you are welcome for me feeding your 6 year old.
  • robert ... Freedom4 2013/02/06 19:39:44
    robert kent
    +3
    Perhaps you should take a look at what entitlements are. They serve children, the old and veterans. So which group do you think are unproductive members of society? Please stop reading propaganda. I will agree that the SSl has been abused.
  • William 2011/01/30 00:55:55
    William
    ...you forgot the last time you tried this discussion but using different words.

I believe "choice" was a word I used against your defense of programs such as these.
  • luvguins 2011/01/29 22:18:06
    luvguins
    that paid in Social Security and Medicare are not truly entitlements. Without them many seniors would be near homeless.
  • napensnake luvguins 2011/07/15 13:56:52
    napensnake
    +2
    "Without them many seniors would be near homeless." This comment defines one of the deleterious effects of Social Security. Before SS, families were stronger. When parents couldn't work or make it, the kids took care of them. Now we argue that it isn't fair to their kids. We have given up on personal responsibility and compassion because we now prefer socialist responsibility and compassion. "My parents aren't my problem, they are everybody's problem."
  • luvguins napensnake 2011/07/15 14:22:57
    luvguins
    +1
    So you just got here and you're a sage on family dynamics? Kids still help their elderly parents, but many on SS worked where there were no pension plans or paltry ones, and SS is their main source of income. Many of their adult kids with families are struggling themselves. SS has been available since the 30's. How far back are you going for all this help they had? Enlighten yourself on whatr's going on today.

http://www.americanprogress.o...
  • napensnake luvguins 2011/07/22 20:19:14
    napensnake
    +1
    I did not "just get here" I have been around for more than fifty years. I have studied Social Security and did some graduate work on the subject when I was getting my master's degree in Public Administration fifteen years ago. I know that Social Security has been "available" (actually generally "required" with some exceptions) since the 1930's. In fact, if you study the birth of Social Security, it was actually not much more than an effort by FDR to get more money for NRA programs (National Recovery Act - not National Rifle Association.) These programs pulled money out of the private sector (i.e. the wallets of people who earned it) and gave it to people who "needed" it. This creates several perverse impacts on the market. First, the personal incentive to give to charity is reduced because "the government is taking care of it." Second, many social programs permit, if not encourage, irresponsible behavior because people will not suffer the rational economic consequences of their actions (example: not taking public education seriously because even if a person does not get a job, there will be programs, or ways around regulations, to prevent the level of suffering that ignorance would normally create.) Third, specifically Social Security has created a situation in which ...

I did not "just get here" I have been around for more than fifty years. I have studied Social Security and did some graduate work on the subject when I was getting my master's degree in Public Administration fifteen years ago. I know that Social Security has been "available" (actually generally "required" with some exceptions) since the 1930's. In fact, if you study the birth of Social Security, it was actually not much more than an effort by FDR to get more money for NRA programs (National Recovery Act - not National Rifle Association.) These programs pulled money out of the private sector (i.e. the wallets of people who earned it) and gave it to people who "needed" it. This creates several perverse impacts on the market. First, the personal incentive to give to charity is reduced because "the government is taking care of it." Second, many social programs permit, if not encourage, irresponsible behavior because people will not suffer the rational economic consequences of their actions (example: not taking public education seriously because even if a person does not get a job, there will be programs, or ways around regulations, to prevent the level of suffering that ignorance would normally create.) Third, specifically Social Security has created a situation in which people don't have to responsibly plan for their future.

Regarding your final response regarding enlightening myself on what's going on. I realize that people are suffering. It has always been thus. But if Social Security and all the other programs are so wonderful, why does suffering continue?
  • luvguins napensnake 2011/07/22 22:16:16
    luvguins
    +2
    You just got here on Sodahead is what I meant. It is hard for people to plan on their future living paycheck to paycheck which far too many are. So yes, it is forced savings which they can be entitled to at 65. People are still charitable if you haven't seen the huge amounts raised for natural disasters. There will always be freeloaders but with more diligence they can be sorted out, and they are in a minority to the now unemployed who need jobs the GOP doesn't seem interested in helping them with.
  • JO 2011/01/28 10:06:27
    JO
    +2
    Yes, most Entitlements are good for the nation as a whole.

JO
  • Werdnar 2011/01/28 05:37:41
    Werdnar
    +5

• LadyBGood 2011/01/28 05:21:05
    LadyBGood
    +2
    Veterans medical care is an entitlement? What kind of B.S. is that? These people fought for us, put themselves in harms way for us...and their care is an entitlement? I say it is NOT...they earned it fair and square!
  • Breakin... LadyBGood 2011/01/28 13:20:26
    Breaking News
    +1
    Vet benefits does not distinguish between people that fought and all the many service people that worked behind the lines and never carried a gun.

If you were on active duty at time of war you are a Vet.
  • Stephanie Breakin... 2011/12/15 02:56:15
    Stephanie
    +2
    "If you were on active duty at time of war you are a Vet."

Sooooo, by definition, those on active duty during Nam, Desert Storm & thing like that are NOT vets? Those weren't "wars".
  • wtxwoman 2011/01/28 03:53:17
    wtxwoman
    +4
    I was on welfare for 3 months once and got food stamps, too. I had been badly beaten and was unable to work. I did go to work at the end of that 3 months. I used a Pell Grant for 3 years of my college education. I was working and raising my youngest child at the time. I am getting Social Security now and will shortly get Medicare after being without insurance for 21 years. And, yes I think I used what was given me properly and have no regret. I believe I am entitled to SS, since I paid into it for years, as did my husband. I took care of him for 15 years with no help from any agency or anyone else, for that matter.
  • LadyBGood wtxwoman 2011/01/28 05:24:59
    LadyBGood
    +2
    Social Security and medicare are NOT entitlements...you worked for them. You paid into the system ...this article is pissing me off! You know when it's an entitlement? When you are an illegal and the government gives you Social Security benefits! That's when it can be called an entitlement! Who made up that list? A bunch of libs?
  • Breakin... LadyBGood 2011/01/28 13:16:11
    Breaking News
    +2
    That is the government list of entitlement programs"

• tommyg ... Breakin... 2011/01/29 02:51:38
    tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA
    +1
    No criticism of the list Breaking? What ever they say is okay?

Question everything.
  • wtxwoman LadyBGood 2011/01/28 14:56:23
    wtxwoman
    +3
    That's the way I feel, too. I was going along with the list. I think Welfare and food stamps are okay if they are used like they were originally meant to be. But, now, generations of people build their lives around them like others do around their jobs, etc.
  • tommyg ... LadyBGood 2011/01/29 02:52:16
    tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA
    +1
    Yes my Lady. That is exactly who made this list.
  • Freedom4 LadyBGood 2011/03/31 12:23:37
    Freedom4
    +2
    The money is gone. They are an entitlement. It is a way that democrats devised that they can even steal from their children.
  • robert ... LadyBGood 2013/02/06 19:58:07
    robert kent
    +1
    They are considered entitlements. Sorry!!!

2014/04/21 02:27:48