Vietnam Bans Smoking in Public: Great Idea or Too Extreme?

SodaHead News 2012/06/19 18:00:00
Some countries are taking strides to cut down on smoking by banning it in schools, in the workplace, at bars... But Vietnam just took a giant leap by passing a law that completely bans smoking in public, and outlaws all tobacco advertising. According to Agence-France Press, the law passed by a vote of 440 out of 468, and will go into effect next May. It will be a tough pill to swallow -- about 47.4 percent of Vietnam's male population smokes.

The crackdown is meant to supplement a 2010 ban on smoking in public places like schools and hospitals. Though that ban has been in place for two years now, few pay it mind. The Southeast Asia Tobacco Control Alliance projects that by 2030, tobacco will kill 70,000 people per year in Vietnam if something isn't done to curtail the habit. But is completely banning smoking in public a little too extreme?

vietnam

• Franklin 2012/06/19 19:46:07
    Too extreme
    Franklin
    +16
    o look all the liberals are saying good idea - yup liberals who can't use ANY self control are always about trying to control others !

• Royo 2012/08/12 22:14:04
    Great idea
    Royo
    Cigarettes should be banned already. Honestly, they are so disgusting and just need to go.
  • Lina Blub 2012/06/26 18:37:44
    Great idea
    Lina Blub
    think of the envrioment and think of those who're around you (babies and children are innocent, dont pollute their lungs)
  • Chewie Lina Blub 2013/01/01 07:14:22
    Chewie
    And shut down all of tge coal burnung factories and stop driving cars
  • Lina Blub Chewie 2013/01/06 19:00:37
    Lina Blub
    oil will be gone soon anyways C:
  • Chewie Lina Blub 2013/01/06 19:10:54
    Chewie
    second hand smoke dosen't do squat to the enviroment
  • Bureauc 0Blunder 2012/06/23 03:13:01
    Great idea
    Bureauc 0Blunder
    +1
    Once again, not enough answer choices.
    Why must I answer to one extreme or the other?

Regarding Vietnam's smoking ban, It's their business, not ours.
  • Gwen 2012/06/22 20:53:42
    Too extreme
    Gwen
    smoking cannot be contained that well. reminds me of the story "who's going to put the bell on the cat." Great idea, now what?
  • jimmie 2012/06/22 03:50:58
    Too extreme
    jimmie
    does that include hot houses too.
  • AntonioVásquezCárdenas 2012/06/22 02:16:42
    Great idea
    AntonioVásquezCárdenas
    Es una necesidad inventada. Debe suprimirse.
  • william keegan 2012/06/21 20:28:43
    Great idea
    william keegan
    My choice as "Great Idea" is a qualified choice as the alternative "Too Extreme" doesn't fit the situation either. I believe that Viet Nam is still a Communist controlled autocratic country, where the people have no say in their own governance. That being the case I would not support any decision of the government under any circumstances. But if the decision were the result of a majority of the people I would wholeheartedly support it. Any objective supported by the majority of the people is generally acceptable, except those decisions reached by an ignorant population.
  • ConLibFraud 2012/06/21 18:19:47
    Great idea
    ConLibFraud
    +1
    Like guns, cigarettes are not the issue. It is the person using them. If cigarette smokers were considerate from the beginning, we wouldn't be having this conversation. How is it OK for someone to smoke a cigarette and force anyone else to inhale the smoke not to mention deal with the stench? Talk about rude!!!
  • Jon ConLibF... 2012/06/22 20:57:47
    Jon
    +1
    How can you lump all cigarette smokers into one category? I and others I have noticed that still smoke are still considerate when smoking outside, stand away from others, and use ashtrays, We are not forcing anyone to smoke a cigarette or inhale the "stench", as we are quite far away. I happen to think some pipe and cigar aromas are great. We can in the privacy of our homes do what we wish if it isn't illegal.
    I personally think that people that are obese are offensive to see. However, I tolerate it, give them the respect they deserve, wouldn't dream of putting them down, or vote to deny them access to certain places. Equating guns with cigarettes makes absolutely no sense at all.
  • Dynasty Fighter 2012/06/21 16:05:26
    Too extreme
    Dynasty Fighter
    who cares its their nation they can do whatever they want
  • ConLibF... Dynasty... 2012/06/21 21:49:56
    ConLibFraud
    This is true.
  • Gwen Dynasty... 2012/06/22 20:54:35
    Gwen
    but what the heck, it's not "their nation"
    Too extreme
    +2
    Socialistic extreme
    Too extreme
    +1
    I say it's a little extreme, I personally don't care if anyone wants to smoke but it should be in designated areas. What really gets me is that marijuana is okay but they're so hyped up on smoking, not that I'm saying smoking is good, but neither is drugs.
  • Dyonus 2012/06/21 04:31:38
    Great idea
    Dyonus
    This law protects people who have lung problems or might be pregnant.

I know a lot of smokers like to think that they should have the right to smoke anywhere, but as someone who has asthma (though I have never been to Vietnam), I request air that doesn't cause my bronchial tubes to swell, making it feel like I'm breathing through a straw. You may like that, but I don't.

I know not all smokers are like that, but I do wish people with lung problems were taken into consideration more than we are.

Now, I do have friends who smoke. If I wish to be around them while they smoke (usually I leave or stand downwind from them), that's my own prerogative, but it shouldn't be forced upon me because you need to get a quick fix and can't be bothered to consider others.
  • Bob DiN 2012/06/21 04:17:27
    Too extreme
    Bob DiN
    +2
    What do you expect from a communist country.
  • RS 2012/06/21 03:10:27
    Too extreme
    RS
    +3
    too extreme
  • Jim 2012/06/21 02:31:28
    Too extreme
    Jim
    +2
    I was in Vietnam forty-five years ago, so who cares.
  • Maleficent 2012/06/21 01:38:50
    Too extreme
    Maleficent
    +2
    why cant they put smoking signs in some places.
  • xxx 2012/06/21 01:33:44
    Too extreme
    xxx
    +4
    The more crap I hear about what's going on in the world the more I hate it.
  • Red Branch 2012/06/21 00:01:21
    Great idea
    Red Branch
    +2
    It is what one would expect in a totalitarian communist nation in which the people have no rightsl
  • Luis 2012/06/20 23:06:37
    Too extreme
    Luis
    +3
    It is a brave move but it won't be enforceable. Asians smoke far too much and to go cold turkey is crazy. Maybe no smoking in restaurants and bars or public venues.
  • Flea 2012/06/20 21:22:41
    Too extreme
    Flea
    +2
    If smoking is still legal in the country, yes, it's too extreme.
  • DizziNY Flea 2012/06/21 18:31:01
    DizziNY
    +1
    Why? Cigarettes ARE a DRUG.
  • Jon DizziNY 2012/06/22 21:12:09
    Jon
    +3
    So is ALCOHOL and legal and illegal DRUGS. I find it funny that some people are so down on drugs, yet think nothing of drinking like dehydrated fish on weekends, becoming drunk and obnoxious, and puking in restaurants and bars restrooms, and even cabs.
  • syl 2012/06/20 20:17:35
    Great idea
    syl
    +1
    Why not? This country has allowed children to smoke, at whatever age-other countries as well. We know tobacco companies add scores of addicting substances to their product to addict people. Why doesn't the freakin FDA ban this here? They're suppose to be keeping harmful substances off the market, period-so why can the tobacco industry continue by only putting a little warning on the wrapper? Notice in the photo how many US made cigarettes?

I wonder how many of those 70,000 killed each yr. by smoking, are children?
  • Janoy D... syl 2012/06/25 15:05:33
    Janoy Davis
    Im all for ban...but if the US is to ban it all at once, there might be chaos. But a ban is on its way...slowly, but surely. As of 1 April 2012, 37 states in the US have a ban of some sort for smoking, now all we gotta do is sit back and watch as smokers finally catch on whats happening and just laugh. XD
  • syl Janoy D... 2012/06/26 19:47:11
    syl
    I know-I'm SO happy I don't have to breathe in people's nasty smoke when I'm trying to enjoy my food in a restaurant!!!
  • Chewie Janoy D... 2013/01/01 06:48:03
    Chewie
    And what is happening? And laugh? About what?
  • rknothead 2012/06/20 19:35:51
    Great idea
    rknothead
    +1
    I do think it's a good idea, but on the other hand, I don't like the govt telling me what to do. Vietnam had invoked a law about driving a motorbike with a helmet several yrs ago....it didn't go over too well, but they re-instated it a yr or 2 ago, and it's now the norm. I'm all for no smoking, being a non-smoker, but I'd say about 75% of the men in VN smoke. So it'll be hard for them to just quit. And of course remember we are talking about a communist govt. What the leaders decide is usually passed without much opposition, since they are all communists. So don't let the numbers supporting this in the govt vote fool you.
  • Michael 2012/06/20 18:21:45
    Too extreme
    Michael
    +2
    Singapore outlaws gum, too, so you can imagine the lack of other freedom in those countries...
  • Chewie Michael 2013/01/06 19:12:36
    Chewie
    gum? wtf?
  • pops 2012/06/20 17:38:40
    Too extreme
    pops
    +3
    They should have a hang a bureaucrat day once a month,maybe it would keep idiots out of peoples lives.
  • bags the Indigenous Guru 2012/06/20 17:37:18
    Great idea
    bags the Indigenous Guru
    Vietnam (as well as most of the rest of Southeast Asia) has an inordinately high rate of smoking in it's population. They wish to make a serious dent in the health issues arising from that. They've seen what has come of our way of handling it, and my guess is they wish to make a greater impact than we have. I wouldn't work here, too many hardnoses....but it makes all the sense in the world.
  • Paul bags th... 2012/06/21 19:20:58
    Paul
    +3
    Interestingly, in Japan, they smoke much more than we Americans do, and they have a longer life expectancy. Maybe smoking is not quite the health bugaboo that they make it to be, or maybe it depends on the additives that cig makers are allowed to add. They can add all sorts of horrid things in the US. Not so much in other countries. Food for thought...
  • bags th... Paul 2012/06/21 19:29:20
    bags the Indigenous Guru
    And very true. Remember that nicotiana is poisonous, in and of itself. I worked tobacco when I was a kid, i got enough on my hands to darn near poison me. But, as you note, tobacco that hasn't the additives for burn rate, etc., hadn't been added by the NA Indigenous peoples and we had a very low rate of ANY form of cancer or emphysema. But they also add some strange stuff of their own in Asia. Ever smoked a Sher Bidi?
  • Paul bags th... 2012/06/21 20:01:59
    Paul
    +1
    I have not smoked a Sher Bidi. Sounds like it might kill me! ;-)

2014/04/21 12:11:38