Some depressing facts...

Calista ~ 2010/01/22 00:04:36
I want to go and kill myself now...
Whatever.
1. Many thousands of juvenile seals are clubbed to death every year.

2. Russian nuclear tests are the cause of countless birth defects in Kazahkstan.

3. 25 million people perished in Mao’s great leap forward.

4. Somewhere, someplace, someone is starving to death at this moment.

5. You are probably obese.

6. You will probably get a divorce and traumatize your children.

7. There probably is no God.

8. The Aral Sea will soon disappear.

9. Genghis Khan murdered his brother for stealing a horse.

10. Julius Caesar was stabbed 23 times by his assassins.

11. Your parents are probably disappointed in the person you’ve turned out to be.

12. In another 5,000 million years, the sun will run out of hydrogen.

13. Over 4,000 children die every day as a result of lack of sanitation.

14. All the water sources in the world are polluted.

15. Many living species are becoming extinct, we might be next.

16. Religious superstion is one of the largest and longest causes of human suffering.

17. 80% of the 50 million people around the world who are affected by violent conflicts, civil wars, disasters, and displacement are women and children.

18. 43% of Australian marriages end in divorce. Of those who remarry, 65% of them will divorce again. By the time you try for marriage number 3, your chance of getting divorced is about 75%.

19. In the USA, unintended pregnancies account for almost half of all pregnancies.

20. As far as we know, there isn’t any purpose for our existence. All we are is temporary vehicles for our genetic information so it can get passed on and switched around.

• KKP 2010/01/22 00:14:42
    KKP
    +2
    "1. Many thousands of juvenile seals are clubbed to death every year."

It's a population control so that we may continue to fish and feed Northern Coasts. And while we're the ones to blame for the lack of fish, at least there's a reason.

"6. You will probably get a divorce and traumatize your children."

Actually, I figured out this awesome solution to avoiding all that; don't get married and wrap my tool.

"7. There probably is no God."

You can't define God's existence with probabilities, "He" is either there or not. There is no evidence that you could show for either side of the argument... that's kind of the point of God, don't you think?

"9. Genghis Khan murdered his brother for stealing a horse."

Wrong. When his family was exiled and his father was slain by the hand of betrayal, his older brother would catch food and keep it to himself while his mother and younger brothers starved. Thus, Genghis (not named so at the time) did what he had to do in order to have his family survive.

"13. Over 4,000 children die every day as a result of lack of sanitation."

And thousands more die from over-sanitation due to necessary bacterial components of a mutual relationship.

"20. As far as we know, there isn’t any purpose for our existence. All we are is temporary vehicles for o...

"7. There probably is no God."

"20. As far as we know, there isn’t any purpose for our existence. All we are is temporary vehicles for our genetic information so it can get passed on and switched around."

Here's the thing: If you don't know, then don't make stupid claims.

• Taina1205 2010/01/27 02:56:26
    Taina1205
    How are 5. and 7. depressing? lol
    I mean 5. I can kinda understand but still.....
  • outofthisworld 2010/01/24 09:46:59
    Whatever.
    outofthisworld
    .
    .
    .
    The dots of apathy.
    .
    .
    .
    Ya, some of these things suck, but I can't get into some manic depression because of them.
    .
    .
    .
    So I won't.
    .
    .
    .
  • diaverde08-AmericanKilljoy 2010/01/22 01:17:54
    diaverde08-AmericanKilljoy
    not depressed.
  • Quazimoto 2010/01/22 00:51:30
    Quazimoto
    And.........“Laugh as much as you breathe and love as long as you live.”
  • KKP 2010/01/22 00:14:42
    KKP
    +2

"7. There probably is no God."

"7. There probably is no God."

• Calista ~ KKP 2010/01/22 00:53:12
    Calista ~
    +1
    "It's a population control so that we may continue to fish and feed Northern Coasts. And while we're the ones to blame for the lack of fish, at least there's a reason."
    ~ I'm thrown by your ignorance. The fact is depressing because they CLUB baby seals to death. Last year The Ministry of Fisheries and Oceans exceeded their quota by 32,000 animals and their estimate of a "sustainable" hunt by more than 50,000.
    The hunters, armed with clubs and other illegal weapons, beat to death the baby hooded and harp seals in front their mothers, who often die trying to save their pups. Male adults often are left to bleed to death after have their penises brutally removed to export to countries such as Japan where they are used as aphrodisiacs. The most shocking evidence comes from 2001, when an international team of Veterinarians who witnessed the hunt, performed post-mortem examinations among some carcasses chosen randomly and proved that a 42% of those seals where skinned alive.
    Human beings are the largest threat to sea life, why can't we control our own population? Because we're incredibly selfish.

"Actually, I figured out this awesome solution to avoiding all that; don't get married and wrap my tool."
    ~ Yeah, except some people actually want to have kids. Only a small percentage of mammali...

~ Yeah, except some people actually want to have kids. Only a small percentage of mammalian species have evolved to stay together for life, and humans aren't one of them.

"You can't define God's existence with probabilities, "He" is either there or not. There is no evidence that you could show for either side of the argument... that's kind of the point of God, don't you think?"
    ~ Of course, but we don't know whether or not She exists. So defining Her existence to us in terms of probability seems appropriate. Think of the "celestial teapot" argument. The probability of a personal God is very low in my opinion

"Wrong. When his family was exiled and his father was slain by the hand of betrayal, his older brother would catch food and keep it to himself while his mother and younger brothers starved. Thus, Genghis (not named so at the time) did what he had to do in order to have his family survive."
    ~ I'm not going to bother arguing with this, because I don't know. It's just what I read.

"And thousands more die from over-sanitation due to necessary bacterial components of a mutual relationship."
    ~ I don't know if I agree with this, but whatever. Sanitation is important.

"Here's the thing: If you don't know, then don't make stupid claims."
    ~ Why do you feel it's a stupid claim? It seems perfectly logical to me, tell me what you think would be a better explanation for our existence.
  • KKP Calista ~ 2010/01/22 02:24:06
    KKP
    "Huge explanation as to why I was ignorant."

Good research. Seriously. While I don't believe in it being completely accurate, there must be some validity behind it all. However, by allowing yourself to have beliefs that the act is wrong, you must also give speculation as to the act not having any morality behind it at all, since morality is a device invented by the human specie.

"I'm not going to bother arguing with this, because I don't know. It's just what I read."

And I'm the one being accused of ignorance.

"Yeah, except some people actually want to have kids. Only a small percentage of mammalian species have evolved to stay together for life, and humans aren't one of them."

Look, let's be realistic. The human population's not going to go down until it comes down to either a bottleneck cataclysm or us finding another planet to ruin. I was just being sarcastic.

"I don't know if I agree with this, but whatever. Sanitation is important."

Lack of sanitation boils down to poverty, and not enough people care to make a change.

"Why do you feel it's a stupid claim? It seems perfectly logical to me, tell me what you think would be a better explanation for our existence."

Perhaps stupid was a bit of a strong word. Furtheremore, it's impossible for us to ever find ou...

Perhaps stupid was a bit of a strong word. Furtheremore, it's impossible for us to ever find out, and thus I withdraw my insult (if you allow it), since yours is an interpretation that I shouldn't dismiss simply because it isn't mine. While your claim was indeed logical, I chose to attack it more by virtue of my disbelief that it could only ever be that.
  • Calista ~ KKP 2010/01/22 19:54:20
    Calista ~
    "And I'm the one being accused of ignorance."
    ~ Yes, and I don't deny that I was also ignorant.

~ Agreed.

Ty for giving me something to do.
  • John Howard 2010/01/22 00:10:20
    John Howard
    +2
    Bloody emos
  • kevracer 2010/01/22 00:09:44
    Whatever.
    kevracer
    +2
    21. According to the Masters and Johnson study, 75% of women report no orgasm during sexual intercourse.
  • Calista ~ kevracer 2010/01/22 00:53:58
  • doctorwhofan 2010/01/22 00:06:35
    Whatever.
    doctorwhofan
    +2
    I already knew this

2014/04/20 01:07:32