Should Women Be Allowed To Fight In Combat?

foxhound BN0 2012/05/30 13:09:16
Related Topics: Combat

• Freedom!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2012/05/30 19:37:02
    Freedom!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    +13
    I would like to say yes and be fair but it is just common sense that they would jeopardize some missions. Not there own actions, but the actions of the males around them. Regardless of how professional they can be... You spend close to a year surrounded by 90% dudes and your reactions to a woman are primal and uncontrollable.

-Men would put the female above the mission when he should save thousands and just let her die.
    -Men in charge would sacrifice too many men trying to save one woman.
    -Men would be overly heroic to try and impress woman.
    -As a logistical issue it would cost more. Unless she is happy living in an environment totally made for males and not the least bit sensitive to her special needs.
    -Men in charge of her would more than likely give her special treatment and cause problems with unit cohesion.

The list could go on. I wish it were fair, but it logistically is just not smart.

• Shadow13 2013/01/17 22:32:17
    Shadow13
    +1
    Four out of every thirty at any given time is a WMD that will strike fear into the hearts of any that oppose them.
  • WankerBait 2013/01/17 19:26:56
    WankerBait
    +1
    Why not?
  • Wohuz 2012/12/16 10:52:55
    Wohuz
    +1
    There were women that filled the role of sniper during WWII for the Soviets and they're performance was outstanding!
  • jubil8 BN-0 PON 2012/12/01 06:03:02
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +1
    A lot of combat really isn't one-on-one anymore so women can probably hold their own MOST OF THE TIME. But... if a 200" man is wounded, can the 140" woman standing next to him help? If so, she's good to go. If not, maybe there need to be limits. I'd hate to think that a brave man might die because the people near him couldn't help.
  • foxhoun... jubil8 ... 2012/12/01 07:55:51
    foxhound BN0
    +1
    If everyone has to pass the same tests to get in I think it's fair.
  • jubil8 ... foxhoun... 2012/12/02 02:09:00
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +1
    Me too basically. I'm just not in favor of rubber-stamping any policy. Case-by-case is better when there are questions.

It isn't about fairness with me, it's about common sense and whether I can carry someone who weighs 50-60" more than I do (with weapons, combat gear, ec.), no matter how well I'm trained. If I can, put me on the line next to him; if I can't, put me nearby where I can still be valuable but nobody is endangered by my "right to fight."
  • foxhoun... jubil8 ... 2012/12/02 04:19:58 (edited)
    foxhound BN0
    Exactly. If you can pick up the 250 pound log and carry it you pass, if not you fail, no gender differences. If some soldier bulks up to 300 lbs I ain't carrying him/her by myself. lol
  • Kidasha 2012/11/30 20:43:35
    Kidasha
    +1
    If she is physically and mentally qualified then let her.
  • fredrik19 2012/11/30 20:21:52
    fredrik19
    +1
    combat should not be "only for men " women can fight has good has men
  • foxhoun... fredrik19 2012/11/30 20:47:30
    foxhound BN0
    just has good hif not better
  • fredrik19 foxhoun... 2012/11/30 20:49:41
    fredrik19
    +1
    i like that because women are more agile why do you think they say women are as agile as cat
  • foxhoun... fredrik19 2012/11/30 20:54:02
  • Anonymous 2012/11/30 20:05:32
    Anonymous
    +1
    Yes Women should be aloud they should be treated the same. Combat should be for those who qualify for it not just men but women too.
  • taitaFalcon23 2012/11/28 04:08:23
    taitaFalcon23
    +1
    the meaning of combat is relative; if you mean at the controls of a fighter jet, attack helicopter, MP patrol vehicle, then yes. As a special ops troop or grunt?
    Then no...
  • foxhoun... taitaFa... 2012/11/30 20:10:19
    foxhound BN0
    you are saying women need machinery to make them equal to men?
  • taitaFa... foxhoun... 2012/12/01 05:03:30
    taitaFalcon23
    +1
    I'm saying that physically they don't have to the physical durability and therefore the day in and day durability of men in that situation. It's not about being 'equal'; it's about able and as a soldier who has given PT tests to thousands of troops, I can say they are not up the basic minimums
  • foxhoun... taitaFa... 2012/12/01 07:57:57
    foxhound BN0
    you worked with men, women, or both? you are saying there are no women who can keep up with men?
  • taitaFa... foxhoun... 2012/12/02 19:15:43
    taitaFalcon23
    +1
    I worked with over a thousand of both over 20 yrs in the US Army; administered PT tests and qualification tests for the rigors of combat and did NOT hear of 1 woman who ever passed the PT tests required by the military that had standards appropriate to the tasks and standards required by the male candidates - and make no mistake there are some truely bad*ssed women out there. I've met a few I could't outrun, outfight, outlast and THEY couldn;'t make the grade. For one thing; if it was a simple question of musclelature and will; that'd might be enough.

But muscle tissue, ligaments and explosive power requirements are just not there. Additonally, a special ops soldier has the strategic combat fighter mental ability of a fighter pilot or NFL quarterback in a gladiator's body to carry him into battle. With a SGT York's capability to fire a weapon at another so armed human being bent on killing him.

Even if an obviously 'burly' woman with a killer's mindset wanted to qualify - her body would let her down. If that happens, that team's 'weak link' makes them all weak and threatens the mission. That is prevented by making entry to operations as tough as possible where only one in a 100 men can even qualify. It ain't about gender discrimination - it's about respecting the standar...

Even if an obviously 'burly' woman with a killer's mindset wanted to qualify - her body would let her down. If that happens, that team's 'weak link' makes them all weak and threatens the mission. That is prevented by making entry to operations as tough as possible where only one in a 100 men can even qualify. It ain't about gender discrimination - it's about respecting the standards required by a mission that we, as a nation have chosen to accept. It was never personal to disqualify someone for a standard I could not make myself. That was MY job.

Yet I was a 5'10" 175 lb NCO, with a pilot's license and solid qualification as a expert marksmman the entire 20 yrs that I served. My service included passing physcial fitness for space shuttle crew duty as a payload specialist that my private pilots certificate helped with. On any given day, I could do a 'century' ride on my bicycle - my farthest was 117 miles one day, from 8am - about 5 pm but I dould not pass special ops qualification. That was the harsh but demanded standard. So that is the way it is...
  • Vijay Pawar 2012/06/26 07:26:15
    Vijay Pawar
    +1
    In all fields of War they better organised than men.
  • foxhoun... Vijay P... 2012/11/30 20:55:37 (edited)
    foxhound BN0
    That's what make them great housewives as well. "Honey where's my screwdriver, and will you shoot the neighbor for me? He won't bring back my rake!"
  • taitaFa... Vijay P... 2012/12/02 19:20:35
    taitaFalcon23
    can you show a definitive study where that is conclusively true?
  • Vijay P... taitaFa... 2012/12/24 14:35:12
    Vijay Pawar
    It's a universal fact that a success of a Successful Man, there is a women who is the inspiration!As well I am sure that the female in US Army more organised than men in Strategy & implementing it on ground 0. In action!
  • taitaFa... Vijay P... 2012/12/25 01:51:18
    taitaFalcon23
    Your opinion is patently false of single unmarried men. Women CAN add to the equation but they are not necessarily the catalyst of a succesful equation.

I've commanded both and women are no better and no less capable as men in most areas. They do not possess the physical attributes needed for hardcore combat conditions. I've tested thousands of them and measured their abilities. They possess the anecdotal level qualities that have a lot of variables but not ones that you can count on.

I suggest leaving the idea to the professionals and quit second guessing them about something you have no experience in.
  • Th8nos 2012/06/26 02:55:34
    Th8nos
    +1
    If they can do it, why not?
  • JDLogan 2012/06/26 02:19:42
    JDLogan
    +1
    I think there should be a more stringent psychological evaluation for people (as in men and women) going into combat roles than other parts of the military, and I don't think there should be different strength/agility requirements or training, but I do not believe that mere gender should be enough to disqualify a person.
  • Brosia 2012/06/26 02:15:44
    Brosia
    +1
    Why not? If they pass the requirements, and they want to go, let them. Same with the gays. I don't have the physical nature to protect my freedoms, so let someone else, that does, take care of that.
  • Iamfree 2012/06/10 05:49:43
    Iamfree
    +2
    I voted "yes", but I would like to see all-women units so that men don't have to serve alongside the women in combat. I think there are natural issues between men and women that could result in conflict during battle conditions. But I do think women can be every bit as fierce fighters as men, so I would support all-female units.
  • JDLogan Iamfree 2012/06/26 02:21:29
    JDLogan
    +1
    I think there is a lot to be said in support of your position, but I don't believe it would be implemented.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2012/06/04 13:39:09
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +3
    Women Since Ancient times have been involved in Warfare
    From ancient Warriors to Revolutionary War Female Patriots to Female Snipers and Assassins in World War 2 .
  • konalimu 2012/06/04 02:09:22
    konalimu
    +1
    Are you referring to "hand to hand combat"? We are fighting the leftists every day, on sodahead:)

Seriously, lots women already in combat zone flyers, battlefield medical staffs, forward tactical engineers... not sure what is the fuss.
  • Sharon1992 2012/06/03 19:14:40
    Sharon1992
    +2
    Sure, why not? They want to fight for their country as well, so why not let them?
  • irish 2012/06/02 14:19:31
    irish
    +2
    aren't they trained for it?  ancient amazon  women
  • beach bum 2012/06/02 11:15:51
    beach bum
  • Jiorgia 2012/06/02 06:38:13
    Jiorgia
    +2
    If they want to and pass all fitness tests, then of course they should.
    I think there should be more women in the military, if they cannot fight they can be on the strategic side.
  • goblue1968 2012/06/01 22:50:36
    goblue1968
    +1
    Of course!

Those Jewish bitches in the Mossad really kick ass!!
  • aneed2know 2012/06/01 04:30:30
    aneed2know
    +6
    And for the 25% who said no, i will be willing to bet you never really pissed off a woman.
  • Fallen_... aneed2know 2012/06/01 15:02:04
    Fallen_Angel
    +1
    heheh :3
  • aneed2know Fallen_... 2012/06/02 09:37:14
    aneed2know
    you know what i am talking about dont you?
  • taitaFa... aneed2know 2012/11/28 04:11:24
    taitaFalcon23
    yes, I have - I've been married before and I've lead women in the military and they can only be so pissed off before I put my foot down and stand my own ground
  • Buoyant Leadraft 2012/06/01 01:58:06
    Buoyant Leadraft
    +3
    If they are as good and as strong as the guys of course.

2014/04/17 04:03:38