Should Harry Reid start asking people in the Democratic Party about their Cayman Island and Offshore accounts?

nbarton2 2012/08/26 04:44:41
Yes, all politicians should be treated equally no matter what position
No, I only want to see what Romney is hiding
I think....
Harry Reid has made the biggest stink about Mitt Romney's Tax records and particularly his off-shore accounts he was quoted in the Huffington Post as saying "Most Americans don't have the benefit of Swiss bank accounts or tax shelters in the Cayman Islands and Bermuda." While Romney has released two years of his taxes and has gone with the precedent set by McCain in 2008 of only releasing 2 years Reid wants Romney to release more with veiled attempts of claims that Romney has avoided paying taxes on his money in these locations. The only evidence that Reid had was that Romney hadn't released more than 2 years of returns.

Yet what of those in his own party?
"Some of the 'preposterously wealthy' Americans who do use such 'schemes' include Senators Dianne Feinstein (D., CA), Richard Blumenthal (D.,CN), Frank Lautenberg (D. NJ), and John Kerry (D., MA)." These people belong to his own party so perhaps in his quest he should find out how much tax money these extremely wealthy people have "hidden" in their accounts.

While some may say that these people are not running for President; remember just a few short years ago, one of the most wealthiest (well his wife is wealthy) John Kerry was running for President. These individuals enjoy those same "tax shelters" yet no cry of shame from Reid on his own party.

It is about equality there is no standard for releasing tax returns for Presidential candidates. Liberals and Democrats are making an issue of Swiss Bank Accounts and the Cayman Islands as these places where nefarious dealings and the rich hide their money and yet they use those same places so for Reid to go after Romney and not look into the tax returns of those in Congress who have off-shore accounts is duplicitous.

My thoughts are that the party is using this to put people in the mindset of what they see in the movies and TV about Swiss Banks and Cayman Islands, to make it sound as if Romney is hiding his money so that if he puts out his tax returns they can show that he only pays 13.6% on his investments since he hasn't had a "salary" in years and "showing" that he isn't pulling his "fair share"

Larry Sabato, a political
analyst at the
University of Virginia;
concludes that the Obama campaign has made the calculation that Romney, who
became wealthy in his years in private equity, won't release more returns.
"Every new complicated return gives Democrats and the media lots of
openings for negative charges and stories," (USA Today)

Read More: http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/314851/reid...

• BBLEE 2012/08/26 20:49:54
    BBLEE
    +1
    Democrats lie anyway Investigate
    Can you help me out here ... cause I don't understand this post. Perhaps the answer to few simple questions will make this clear.

Which presidential candidates have accounts in the Cayman Islands? Switzerland? other tax havens?
  • Howler Ken 2012/08/27 14:59:36 (edited)
    Howler
    You made something clear?....What?

Hasn't your question already been publicly answered?

The poll question is asking why Harry Reid is NOT publicly concerned about other Democrats, regardless of a presidential run about offshore accounts, tax shelter havens, etc., if it is in fact of any importance WITH a presidential candidate, and not just one who happens to be in the opposing party.

My oh my, what a political hack you are, Mr. Ken.
  • Ken Howler 2012/08/27 15:24:55
    I don't think you understood why I found the question is unclear. Does the poster think an individual's overseas accounts are a crucial piece of election information? If so, then they should expect their anyone representing them at a national level to reveal their overseas accounts. If not, why do they care if others reveal their overseas investments.

We are all, including Harry Reid, entitled to speak about what we think is appropriate from presidential candidates since presidential candidates are seeking to represent all of us. We are not entitled, and this includes Harry Reid, to insist that those who represent others reveal information. From my perspective, I expect my representatives and senators to reveal their tax returns and overseas investments. What you expect from your representatives and senators is up to you...not Harry Reid.
  • Howler Ken 2012/08/27 15:35:33
    Howler
    "What you expect from your representatives and senators is up to you...not Harry Reid."

Presidential candidates, representatives, senators -- ALL are politicians vying to represent a group of Americans in one way or another.

If Harry Reid thinks it is important to be concerned and suspecting about one politician, then he should be just as concerned and suspecting about them all, and at any political level.

And he could easily start with himself, as well as those whom he supposedly "leads" in the Senate majority.

Yet, he masquerades himself more than you do on this site.
  • Ken Howler 2012/08/27 15:52:40
    Harry Reid has no business telling my representative what to do or how to vote. My representative works for me not Harry Reid. I vote against anyone who represents a political party rather than their constituency.
  • Howler Ken 2012/08/27 16:01:23 (edited)
    Howler
    Harry Reid has no business singling out ANY representative for ANY political office for ANY political motive, unless he himself FIRST makes himself an exposed open book relative to his own concerns about others within the political scene.

But, apparently he does not agree with that, nor do you.

Again, he is a political masquerader, and so are you....But, at least he doesn't claim to own/manage several, suddenly (since Obama came into office) financially successful small business ventures that allow him more free time than if he was in retirement (wink, wink).

You are a fun hack, Mr. Ken.
  • Ken Howler 2012/08/27 16:14:01
    It sounds like you and I agree.

Harry Reid has been making a big deal of Romney's offshore accounts and therefore should be expected to reveal his personal information. But Harry Reid has no business asking Democratic (or Republican) Representatives and Senators to reveal their Cayman Island and other offshore accounts.
  • Howler Ken 2012/08/27 16:29:27
    Howler
    You and I Mr. Ken will probably NEVER agree.

If Reid were to request his ENTIRE Democrat Senate to come out of any potential offshore account closet, or any similar kind of tax shelter, it would set an example unheard of in today's political game.

Of course, no one should hold their breath.

Now get to work with all those "businesses" of yours..(wink, wink).

mutley laughing gif
  • Ken Howler 2012/08/27 20:56:25
    You said and I quote "Harry Reid has no business singling out ANY representative for ANY political office for ANY political motive, unless he himself FIRST makes himself an exposed open book relative to his own concerns about others within the political scene."

I agree with that statement in its entirety....so if you are not retracting your statement, we are in agreement.
  • Howler Ken 2012/08/27 22:17:24 (edited)
    Howler
    You said, and I quote, "We are all, including Harry Reid, entitled to speak about what we think is appropriate from presidential candidates since presidential candidates are seeking to represent all of us."

I disagree with that statement in its reference to Harry Reid....so if you are not retracting your statement, we are in disagreement.
  • Ken Howler 2012/08/28 02:03:46
    I never would suggest we agree on everything. If we agree on everything the Creator wasted time making two of us. I only suggested we agree on some things.

If you don't think Harry Reid, an American citizen, is entitled to speak out about the Presidential candidate, IMO, you are denying your own right to speak out about a presidential candidate. Any rights you deny Harry Reid you deny yourself. Any rights you grant Harry Reid, you grant yourself.
  • Howler Ken 2012/08/28 02:21:47 (edited)
    Howler
    "Rights" are not the issue here...Political games are...You know that about as well as anyone.

Harry Reid is not speaking out as an American citizen...Harry Reid is speaking out as a Democrat Senate majority leader with a BIG microphone and an even BIGGER political motive against his political opposition.

BIG difference in this situation.

Hard work day?...(wink,wink)...I just don't know how you do it all.
    mutley gif
  • Ken Howler 2012/08/28 02:53:53
    I had a good day....had a conference call/web meeting with my team in India to start the day, completed a client assignment a day ahead of schedule, prepared a proposal based on the completed assignment, and negotiated a payment plan with a tenant to avoid an eviction. After finishing work, I took a friend to a BYOB place we hadn't tried. ... and now I am winding up the day with a glass of Merlot.

It was a good day with enough work to avoid boredom and enough pleasure to enjoy life. I missed my bike ride, however, and will need to be sure to do that tomorrow.

It has been a while since I had a hard workday although some are much longer than today...still there is normally time to enjoy a good dinner and glass or two of wine.
  • Howler Ken 2012/08/28 03:36:01 (edited)
    Howler
    Wow...Just WOW!!...(wink, wink).

Sounds just peachy...teehee.

So, now you're full of fertilizer AND wine..lol

A man, his web meetings, his team, his clients, his assignments, his proposals, his goodwill, his friends, his drink, his wine, his bike ride, and last but not least - his Sodahead...You go guy..lol

mutley gif
  • nbarton2 Ken 2012/08/27 20:16:53
    nbarton2
    +1
    I think that anyone who represents We the People should be "above board" in all their dealings. Harry Reid has publicly gone on record and stated that having off-shore accounts is a "tax haven" therefore if this is the case then why isn't he concerned with those in his own party who have these tax havens and shelters and only with Romney.
  • Ken nbarton2 2012/08/27 21:22:58
    The founders designed this country as a "federal republic". Under this design, the President represents "We the People"; Senators represent a specific state and the government of that state; representatives represent the people of a specific district. Subsequent amendments have created a situation in which Senators represent the State and the people of that state. If the people of a state are unhappy with a Senator or their representative, they are free to replace them at the end of their term. If the legislature of the state is unhappy with a Senator (and perhaps representatives) they are free to remove them from office under certain narrow conditions.

An individual's voice therefore is meaningful when he is speaking about the behavior of the President, Vice President, their 2 Senators, and their representative....and of course candidates for these offices. Comments made about any other Senators or Representatives should be recognized for what they are. Of course the first amendment gives us the right to spread as much fertilizer as we wish but let's not pretend it is anything but fertilizer.
  • Howler Ken 2012/08/27 22:22:22
    Howler
    Mr. Ken...You are FULL of fertilizer.

And not only with your political commentary.

How's work? (wink, wink).
  • No nonsense NanC...don't BS... 2012/08/26 17:42:27
    No nonsense NanC...don't BS me!
    +1
    "Larry Sabato, a political
    analyst at the University of Virginia;
    openings for negative charges and stories," (USA Today"

Since we know that 0bama has never won a campaign with using racism and
    dirty tricks, we know he is desperately searching for some so-called "dirt"
    on the squeaky clean Romney.

In Chicago, to win the US Senate seat, the second time he ran during his 8 years in the Illinois legislature, his campaign was able to get his opponent's court divorce papers opened and published by the Chicago Tribune. His opponent and his wife, the actress Geri Ryan didn't want their child subjected to public mud slinging; so he withdrew from the
    senate race, where he had been ahead, to protect the boy. Alan Keyes entered
    the race, was labelled a carpetbagger, and 0bama won.

Romney doesn't have any personal scandal, or any scandal in his professional and
    public life to exploit....... so 0bama is desperately searching for something, anything,
    anything to discredit Romney. Because 0bama is running a campaign focusing
    on race/class warfare, he is despera...

"Larry Sabato, a political
    analyst at the University of Virginia;

on the squeaky clean Romney.

on race/class warfare, he is desperate to find something in those tax returns to
    help in his class warfare campaign tactic. He has nothing else. He sure as h*ll
    can't run on his achievements......... The economy is worse than it was
    when he took office, and the CBO predicts unemployment will go up if the tax
    increases are allowed to become law. Everyone knows you can't raise taxes during
    a recession...............but that is what 0bama is running on doing.
  • Matt 2012/08/26 13:54:44
    Matt
    They all need a safe place to hide the bribes and money that they are stealing. That is why they start foreign wars, give foreign aid, and pass job killing "free trade" agreements. Once money leaves our shores it becomes untraceable. Who knows how much of it comes back to them ? If they need money in the U.S. there is other ways to hide it.
    Book Deal

Feds: Lawmaker Hid Bribe In Freezer

A congressman under investigation for bribery was caught on videotape accepting $100,000 in $100 bills from an FBI informant whose conversations with the lawmaker also were recorded, according to a court document released Sunday. Authorities say agents later found most of the cash hidden in his freezer.

Rep. William Jefferson, D-La., who represents New Orleans, has not been charged and denies any wrongdoing.

According to the court document, Jefferson - in one audiotaped meeting - chuckles about writing in code to keep secret what the government contends was his corrupt role in getting his children a cut of a communications company's deal for work in Africa.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-2...
  • ed 2012/08/26 11:22:58
    ed
    I said no in a very sarcastic manner ,because we know that won't ever happen.
  • doc moto 2012/08/26 04:57:01
    doc moto
    +1
    http://www.sodahead.com/unite... Check on/with the kids, they know the whole story!
  • Rust 2012/08/26 04:45:44

2014/04/20 15:55:03