Should Courts Block Information About the Trayvon Martin Case From the Public?

SodaHead News 2012/05/29 22:57:10
It's been a while since we've heard from the Trayvon Martin case. Last we heard, George Zimmerman was charged with the murder and turned himself in peacefully, but there are still a lot of questions on the table, and for every bit of information that come out in Zimmerman's favor, another seems to contradict it. However, the State and the media are at odds over certain information regarding the case.

According to The Orlando Sentinal several Florida news outlets are trying to block motions from the State "seek[s] severe restrictions on the right of public access in this case." A judge will hear the arguments for and against the motion on Friday. Some of the information the State wished to withhold from the public include statements Zimmerman made, which could be used against him in court. Do you think the court should block public access to the information until the case is closed?

zimmerman court

• Groundskeeper Willy 2012/05/30 14:56:06
    Groundskeeper Willy
    +13
    The fact that the media in typical fashion was quick to charge and convict Zimmerman, before the evidence was presented. Personally I think Zimmerman should be able to get a PRO(permanent restraining order) taken out against the media, Black Panthers, Eric Holder, Al Sharpton, and Ferret--khan.(yes I know how to spell his real name but won't.)

Once the dust settles and it is shown Zimmerman did act in self defense, I believe he will have the ability to sue several people including Rev Al, into personna non grata status.

• dallasjoe 2012/06/07 15:54:48
    dallasjoe
    Everything the Govt does should be open to the public
  • Bob DiN 2012/06/04 07:32:07
    Bob DiN
    Why stop now. The media let out Al Sharptons lies. Now that evidence has come out in favor of Zimmerman why put restrictions.
    +1
    If I told you the truth I'd be called a racist so firgive me if I deckine
  • Jeri 2012/06/02 18:36:37
    Jeri
    +2
    NO !!! Too many lies out there now it looks like the court is trying to set Zimmerman up so they can appease the black racists. What happened to the Martins young man was a tragedy, but the young man was not totally faultless it needs to come out so we can make sure everyone knows what really happened.
  • Dave 007 2012/06/02 15:00:31
    Dave 007
    +2
    NO!!!! Let the public know everything so we can judge Zimmerman better. Maybe the Martin kid, who all we see is a photo from 5 years ago, isn't as sweet as they try to make him to be.
  • Tin Man 2012/06/02 14:28:46
    Tin Man
    +1
    So much of this case has been tried in the media for both sides of the question on guilt or innocents, factual info from the court may best serve clarity to help stem the tide of so much reactionary responses by the public. Tho' at this point it seems nothing much will help.
  • Pat 2012/06/02 13:35:17
    +1
    no,who are they trying to protect,certainly not Trayvon Matin.
  • jennifer.wales.104 2012/06/01 21:22:49
    jennifer.wales.104
    +1
    Putting too much info out there can hurt the case bad, take a look at the west memphis three, the whole community was so angry over that they were looking for blood and they didn't care who it was all because of the media
  • jennife... jennife... 2012/06/01 21:23:21
    jennifer.wales.104
    sorry was supposed to hit the yes. lol
  • stevmackey 2012/06/01 20:29:25
    stevmackey
    +1
    The whole thing should be dropped.
  • Mike J. Hirak 2012/06/01 19:14:54
    Mike J. Hirak
    +1
    The public deserves to know
  • MS PRUD 2012/05/31 23:26:03
    MS PRUD
    +2
    The news media make a blown out guilty trial and now Zimmerman is getting a trial - just the way it should be. The media should only give the news - NOT THEIR OPINION
  • pops 2012/05/31 20:08:45
    pops
    +1
    They should make the prosecuter release all evidence related to the case open to public! Not what the racist AG Holder dictates.
  • LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH 2012/05/31 16:49:54
    LADY LIBERTY SILLY WORDSMITH
  • Lady Yui 2012/05/31 16:31:15
    Lady Yui
    +1
    Zimmerman has a right to a fair trial, which who knows if that's even possible at this point. The media is just trying to keep fanning the flames, and they need to shut up and leave the issue alone until after a verdict has been reached. Seriously...if they (the media) keep pushing and selectively editing the information they disseminate, they should be charged with jury tampering.
  • Meljahun 2012/05/31 14:47:04
    Meljahun
  • HarleyCharley 2012/05/31 13:53:09 (edited)
    HarleyCharley
    +1
    yes until a jury is selected....
  • Bob DiN HarleyC... 2012/06/04 07:33:02
    Bob DiN
    Too late now.
  • katywon 2012/05/31 11:05:54
    katywon
    +2
    This is one case where it should be open.
  • Sav 2012/05/31 06:32:29
    Sav
    +1
    the President & Presstitute made such a big issue out of it, & then try to manipulate the story, so why not
  • Stan Kapusta 2012/05/31 06:03:56
    Stan Kapusta
    +1
    Why give an opportunity for people to say ther has been a cover up or a backroom deal. Keep it open and honest. Before the trial how many were designating the sinner and the saint. Don't hide a thing!
  • blissful 2012/05/31 05:48:15
    blissful
    +1
    Yes! I really think that they should. The more we hear, the more upsetting it gets for both sides..
  • beach bum 2012/05/31 05:44:14
  • Edie 2012/05/31 04:18:44
    Edie
    +1
    I think the public needs to know what happened so many were so fast to jump on board about how a poor child was mudered. One less doper out of the way.
  • mikeyllo 2012/05/31 03:22:48
    mikeyllo
    +1
    Part of the problem with this incident thus far is the lack of transparency as to how things have progressed since it occured. At this point, they really need to handle things openly and fairly. It's not my personal business, but in order to establish and maintain the necessary false sense of trust, they shouldn't block the information from going public.
  • Dave Ruble 2012/05/31 03:06:06
    Dave Ruble
    +2
    The truth must finally be heard.

Hopefully, people will read the FACTS instead of Sharpton's raving.
  • Bob DiN Dave Ruble 2012/06/04 07:33:57
    Bob DiN
    Good point.
  • NancyR1 2012/05/31 02:17:07
    NancyR1
    +1
    ...and even then it will be spun. Remember the McDonald's coffee case...or what was made of that? Knew a friend (very conservative) who went to a mock trial of that case with all the evidence from the case and was astounded at what she found out ~ the women deserved to win the case and was horribly burned. There had been lots of others burned prior to her and nothing was done. That McDonald's had many MANY opportunities to take action to fix and did not. But who knows that...and the information is probably available. Yes, we deserve the truth, I believe.
  • locoheaven 2012/05/31 01:41:29 (edited)
    locoheaven
    +1
    Personal information regarding travyons family should be blocked but I don't see why this case is different from any other like the Casey Anthony oj Simpson exc
  • daniel wayne 2012/05/31 01:11:52
    daniel wayne
    +2
    the public needs to see trayvon the way he looked when he and g.z. had their encounter, not the pix of him when he was just 12 that the media has been showing us, so as to create a black/white problem. im not taking sides, just saying the truth and facts of that night need to be known by all.
  • Commander Pyle 2012/05/31 01:09:55
    Commander Pyle
    +1
    Florida should amend its statute and create some exceptions for what (in court documents) can be revealed.

Personally I feel that they shouldn't since it will contaminate the jury pool. The new information will just be manipulated to present whatever the media wants. It serves no other purpose.
  • cass 2012/05/30 22:53:46
    cass
    +1
    It doesn't really make any difference if they do or not,One way or another it will be published almost instantly...
  • JAA 2012/05/30 22:20:39
    JAA
    +2
    If Blacks are going to riot & kill Whites & Hispanics over the outcome, then John Q. Public has a right to know the details of the trial. If stuff is going to be ransacked in my place of business, or my life threatened, I deserve to have the information that led to the unreasonable assaults. Thanks.
  • barby k... JAA 2012/05/31 01:43:04
    barby karring
    Are you serious' you're not afraid are you?
  • JAA barby k... 2012/05/31 02:15:44
    JAA
    Yes & nope.
  • T 2012/05/30 22:17:07
    T
    +2
    Up to a point. I want the case details to come out after the verdict is made. If he is found guilty and if sentencing is postponed for a later date, I think that will be a fair time to release the trial details. I think all people want is for the truth to be given to the public at some reasonable point in time. I think it's fair to label that reasonable point in time as after the verdict is given.
  • barby k... T 2012/05/31 01:57:59
    barby karring
    Its going to boil down to exactly how zimmerman came face to face with someone walking down the street minding their business trying to get back to where he was staying and ended up dead because he was wrongfully stalked by george zimmerman who shot this kid. Riots may ensue all over america because no one believe that the kid started anything with zimmerman; it was the other way around. Zimmerman can make up stuff as he go, but the real truth will prevail in the kid's favor.
  • Dave Ruble barby k... 2012/05/31 03:17:33
    Dave Ruble
    +1
    Looks like you proved T's point!
  • Michael S Smith 2012/05/30 21:31:47
    Michael S Smith
    +2
    I voted yes if it means statements made by the accused (George Zimmernan) because he has the right of not incriminating himself so those statements have to be kept confidential under the law.
  • cc 2012/05/30 20:13:37
    cc
    I think that this case should be treated like any other case. There are details that need to be kept confidential, there are others that need to be clarified.
    The press is of little concern to me as they have been almost criminally negligent and one sided in reporting this case. They were on it like a cockroach on a dirty microwave oven until things started looking less racist and more like self defense. I think that when the main stream media starts reporting a story like it's over and done with and "so and so" is guilty, racist, murderer and editing evidence for reporting purposes...then further details need to be sealed until it's over.
    There is a LOT of things about Zimmerman that nobody knows because they don't want to know, or don't care. I think he's a good man, I'm sure he handled the situation wrong and he shouldn't have been patrolling alone. I hope he gets a fair trial.
    The most important group to give ALL of the information to is the JURY!

2014/04/18 13:20:21