PUBLIC OPINION > There's No Need for Vibrating Tattoos

SodaHead News 2012/03/22 13:00:00
Nokia got some media buzz this week when Unwired View dug up a patent for a "material capable of detecting a magnetic field and transferring a perceivable stimulus to the skin," assigned to the Finnish communications corporation. For you technical types, you can read about the invention in all its gruesome detail here, but it all boils down to this: a vibrating tattoo you can sync with your cell phone. It was filed back in September, but didn't go through until March 15. Unwired thinks it's a little too creepy to fly, but we asked the public what they think about it.

sodahead vibrating tattoos

Maybe some of the technology behind this patent will have far-reaching benefits, but the potential for a vibrating tattoo is pretty limited. There were an assortment of arguments against it, ranging from petty to uncomfortable to just plain scary. The most daunting arguments were those that speculated where this technology would lead. Some of those fears were a little far-fetched ("off switches" and executions), while others are pretty much available now (implanted tracking devices). But generally the vibrating idea, especially as it relates to cell phones, was not very popular.

The Mark of the Beast

First, we'll address an obvious concern. The "Mark of the Beast" mentioned in Revelation 14:9-10 ("If anyone worships the beast and its image and receives its mark on their forehead or on their hand, they, too, will drink the wine of God's fury") definitely played a role in the dicussion. Naturally, Christians voted lower. However, more interesting than that was how high atheists voted. Half were for it.

Open-Minded Youth

Teens were still skeptical of the device, but there were much more willing than people 25 and up. We suspect the reasons are two-fold: Young people are more open to new technology, and young people are more open to tattoos. However, the drop-off age (25) was a bit younger than it typically is for either topic (closer to 35).

Smokers Aren't as Suspicious

One of the stranger correlations was with smokers. They were about 13% more likely to approve of the patent. The obvious explanation is that they're less concerned about what they put into their bodies, or that they're a little more precarious in general, but it wasn't a big enough difference to dwell on.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about vibrating tattoos. We'd love to hear from you!

• Mungu 2012/03/22 20:02:14 (edited)
    Mungu
    +13
    This reminds me of a joke (some could consider it in bad taste, but its funny)

An American, a Japanese and a Nigerian were sitting in the hot tub together.

The Americans arm beeps, he notices the other guys are surprised, the American just taps his arm and says "oh I just got a page".

The Japanese guy hand rings, he taps his palm, placing his hand to his head and says "excuse me, I'm must take this call".

The Nigerian feeling uncompetitive decides to leave the tub and go to the rest room. He comes back with toilet paper hanging from his buttocks. He tells the other guys "oh I'm just receiving a fax".

• Gone Away 2012/09/20 20:07:35
    Gone Away
    depends where it is!
    goosed
    But seriously......sounds silly!
  • SherriWishard-Mikeska 2012/03/25 05:22:14
    SherriWishard-Mikeska
    +2
    just plain stupid... I mean how am I supposed to tell my friend that calls and talks for hours , "I am so sorry I didn't hear the phone ring". and can you imagine breaking up with signifigant other and having them call every 3 minutes...lol
  • hippietim 2012/03/23 21:16:28
    hippietim
    +1
    I find much body art cool, and like the utility of a vibrating tattoo. The concept of that means of recieving notification of my calls/messages wherever in a completely stealth manner seems groovie 2 my mind. I just hope people would not blow up my tattoo~

Timothy

:o) you must be at least this high
  • Harry 2012/03/23 21:02:21
    Harry
    +1
    Paul Harvey was a very wise and prescient man. Even in 1965, there were troubling signs that the culture was unraveling, that the the nihilistic left was beginning to take over our nation's institutions and culture.
  • AM 2012/03/23 16:04:03
  • RoyDMer... AM 2012/03/23 16:39:55
    RoyDMercer - IFOTFD
    +2
    If I only had a dollar for every time I have been told that.
  • AM RoyDMer... 2012/03/25 16:26:33
  • SherriW... AM 2012/03/25 05:23:46
    SherriWishard-Mikeska
    +3
    hmmmm not the only one whose mind wondered to that place....lol
  • lufkincy 2012/03/23 14:45:34
    lufkincy
    +1
    I'll have to pass on this one. I'm from an older generation where tattoos were the realm of sailors and circus freak shows. I'm a little more receptive today than in years past, but must admit I do not find them attractive. While I attempt to be non-prejudicial, I do not believe I would consider hiring anyone, regardless of qualifications, who had numerous or large visible tattoos. Many customers judge a company by the appearance of the company's employees. There are some businesses where appearance is not a major factor, but in all I have ever owned or have been associated with, appearance is a factor.
  • hari 2012/03/23 13:57:55
    hari
    as per latest reports it attracts AIDS
  • ♠Jen♠ BN - 0 2012/03/23 07:12:06
    ♠Jen♠ BN - 0
    Slightly off the wall, and somewhat impractical, but I suppose it'd be nice if only for an impromptu massage wherever said tattoo would be!
  • MaryBoBerry 2012/03/23 04:53:21
    MaryBoBerry
    +2
    We talked about this in my media class today
    What if you like got it on your back and you were sitting in a chair and suddenly BRRRZZZZZZZGGGHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA
  • DeCaf 2012/03/23 03:03:53
    DeCaf
    +1
    this is toooo whacky
  • Patreco 2012/03/23 02:56:10
    Patreco
    Do u really care about it?
  • MixedMatching.COM❤Find the ... 2012/03/23 02:36:04
  • TheBorg 2012/03/23 01:48:46 (edited)
    TheBorg
    There were two really naughty and horribly bad tattoos I was going to post instead but then realized there are children here.

• kobidob... TheBorg 2012/03/23 04:59:34 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    +2
    If you think naked things are naughty you had better keep them from seeing trees, and dogs,etc because they are totally naked with out a stitch of a man made thing on them.
  • TheBorg kobidob... 2012/03/24 03:42:27
    TheBorg
    Not the nudity that I don't think kids should see, it is the horrendous tattoos. I don't want to encourage some young person to get a horrible looking tat. Too many young people have really stupid looking tats. Guy in previous picture looks like a genius compared to most young people get.
  • kobidob... TheBorg 2012/05/12 20:20:05
    kobidobidog
    It is all nude.You relax, and they will relax. They will imitate you. I can't make out heads or tails what he has on his skin.
  • BJAAddict 2012/03/23 01:06:08
    BJAAddict
    What's the point? Can't see it myself, but maybe I've missed something.
  • ♥Bribri♥ ~Killjoy!~ IchLiebeDichCody(: {08.13.09}
    +1
    Haha. Thats wierd in a cool way. I'd never get one..but hey. Whatever floats your boat :)
  • lol justin bieber lol 2012/03/23 00:56:20
    lol justin bieber lol
    +1
    There is no need for them at all
  • ladyjane 2012/03/23 00:34:22
    ladyjane
    +1
    Just plain stupid. Are people really that easily led around by people that probably don't have a tattoo anywhere on their bodies? Only a fool would do this...
  • Tannenberg1993 2012/03/23 00:19:20
    Tannenberg1993
    +1
    Why would you want your body modified in order to suit a cell phone? I know I wouldn't.
  • Catch224u 2012/03/22 22:40:43
    Catch224u
    A vibrating tattoo? I don't want a tattoo, especially one that vibrates.
  • Vitalani 2012/03/22 22:40:05
    Vitalani
    +1
    I feel like people are getting the wrong idea about this....
    This is obviously just Nokia's way of safeguarding future technology.
    It's not like this is going to be happening any time soon and honestly no one knows what they could even be used for....
  • Werewolfgirl1995 2012/03/22 21:43:19
    Werewolfgirl1995
    +1
    Creepy
  • Red_Horse 2012/03/22 20:45:32 (edited)
  • Mungu 2012/03/22 20:02:14 (edited)
    Mungu
    +13

• Gracie ... Mungu 2012/03/23 16:23:41
    Gracie ~Gun Totin' Gracie~
    +1
    good one.lol
  • Gilbert 2012/03/22 19:15:37
  • Angela Chambers 2012/03/22 18:52:31 (edited)
    Angela Chambers
    +1
    I like them.

I have three. I may get three more. My kids names, a phoenix, a Japanese symbol
    spelling "hope", and a koi fish.

• Pixie·Ÿ... Angela ... 2012/03/22 19:01:37
  • Angela ... Pixie·Ÿ... 2012/03/22 19:08:00
    Angela Chambers
    +3
    Thanks. I really want a Koi Kish on my arm.

koi kish arm
    koi kish arm
  • Bingo's Faddah 2012/03/22 13:15:47
    Bingo's Faddah
    +2
    I had several impure thoughts when considering this issue. Think about it!!

impure issue
  • kobidob... Bingo's... 2012/05/12 20:22:01
    kobidobidog
    An impure thought leads to doing to a human what Jesus would never do.
  • Bingo's... kobidob... 2012/05/13 11:46:26
    Bingo's Faddah
    +1
    Well; maybe. As I believe the "devil" resides in us all, it's our job to consider the consequences of what we think about and either act or not. I think Jesus would have said that that's OK.
  • kobidob... Bingo's... 2012/05/13 19:04:02
    kobidobidog
    +1
    The devil indeed reside in all.That is why all things die, but the devil is not in your soul. You want nothing to do with him. You judge yourself. What makes a tattoo vibrate? Nano bots?
  • Bingo's... kobidob... 2012/05/14 12:08:37
    Bingo's Faddah
    +2
    I have no idea and that's one thing I'm not curious about. If you have a vibrating tattoo on your weenie....... Sorry; never mind!

Thw world certainly has changed in the last 50 years!

2014/04/23 13:55:36