Pres. Obama: Pushing Congress to Create Jobs, Keep College in Reach for Middle Class

Mopeder 2012/07/09 16:19:41

President Obama in his weekly address discusses legislation he signed on Friday that does two important things: It keeps thousands of construction workers on the job rebuilding our crumbling infrastructure, and it stops interest rates on federal loans from doubling this year for more than seven million students.

• Jrogers 2012/07/20 07:13:35
    Jrogers
    He is always looking out for the little guy
  • SW 2012/07/16 13:34:18
    SW
    I'd really like to reply to voice matters but I'm prevented from doing so.. Is someone afraid of a rational debate? Looks like it.
  • SW 2012/07/16 13:32:44
    SW
    How come I can't reply to some people on here?
  • Call me Mark willya? 2012/07/11 03:50:22
    Call me Mark willya?
    +1
    Sounds a lot like he's trying to help dunnit???
  • Avenged7 2012/07/10 19:57:45
    Avenged7
    +1
    This bill he signed will not only create more construction jobs, but the workers will have more money to spend into the system, which in turn will create more jobs by the construction workers spending. So who are the job creators?? THE MIDDLE CLASS!!!! Not the wealthy that the right wing tries propagandize to Americans, as an excuse to give more tax cuts for the wealthy!!!!
    College in reach of the Middle Class?????? Shall I puke, Cry or throw stones at the likes of Obama
  • Call me... jackola... 2012/07/11 03:51:32
    Call me Mark willya?
    +1
    What are we second-class citizens? We're not good enough for college?
  • Phil_will1 2012/07/09 21:46:53
    Phil_will1
    If the President (or congress for that matter) were serious about creating jobs in America, they would pass HR 25/S 13 (the FairTax bill) into law ASAP. The fact that neither is doing so is clear evidence that they are there for self serving reasons, not to serve the American public.
  • voice_m... Phil_will1 2012/07/10 02:48:25 (edited)
    voice_matters
    libby can you tell me why you want the president to ignore the constitution?

oh yes because congress will never pass the UN-fair tax

can any libs tell me why they think creating jobs is done by taxes?
  • Phil_will1 voice_m... 2012/07/19 21:10:23
    Phil_will1
    "can any libs tell me why they think creating jobs is done by taxes?"

I am not a liberal, but I will be happy to answer your question.

Globalization is THE megatrend that is sweeping the planet. We are already seeing a much higher level of global competition than ever before in world history, and that trend is expected to continue for the next few decades. The experts who have studied globalization believe that it will rival the Industrial Revolution in its world impact by the time it has run its course. In the midst of that, the USA has probably the worst tax system on the planet from a global competitiveness standpoint. By that, I am referring to the structure of our tax system, not the overall level of taxation. For example, our tax system includes the following features:
    1. the highest corporate income tax rate on the planet - since Japan lowered theirs on April 1 of this year,
    2. No border adjustment element - no ability to relieve exporters of their tax burden - unlike all of the other 33 OECD nations,
    3. the most complex income tax system on the planet and astronomical compliance costs as a result. Dr Arthur Laffer estimated US tax compliance costs at $431 billion per year last year,
    4. Taxation of corporations on their world-wide income. This combines with #1 a...

4. Taxation of corporations on their world-wide income. This combines with #1 above to provide a powerful incentive for companies to locate elsewhere if their sales are global.

So we have a tax system that is, in all likelihood, worse from a global competitiveness standpoint than Namibia, Iceland, Thailand, Bangladesh, Belize and many, many others.

Amidst this crisis, our Presidential candidates are arguing over whether or not Romney was in charge when Bain Capital outsourced jobs. And why would Bain outsource jobs? So they can maximize their profits, which is what any rational business manager is going to do!!! DUUUHHHH.
  • voice_m... Phil_will1 2012/07/19 21:43:50
    voice_matters
    and blocked. sorry libby but you proved you are a lib. i do want to thank you for showing that no jobs are created by taxes.
  • clasact 2012/07/09 20:18:30
    clasact
    +1
    They are not going to do it and many have already said they will not vote on anything this president wants untill after the election.I just hope the people of this country see its not all Obamas fault that growth is not happening,congress is holding the people in hostage and blamming him for it
  • happyman 2012/07/09 19:50:30
    happyman
    OB1 2012
  • Lefty 2012/07/09 19:28:40
    Lefty
    +1
    Hate to say this, but he can push all he wants, the republican congress won't buy into it.
  • Lady Wh... Lefty 2012/07/09 19:44:13
    +1
    Sad but true.
  • ray 2012/07/09 19:20:58
    ray
    What bull crap. Just more false promises.
  • SW 2012/07/09 19:01:39
    SW
    +2
    WE'VE CREATED MORE JOBS IN THE LAST 2 YEARS THAN IN 8 YEARS of BUSH AND REPUBLICAN CONGRESS FOR 6 OF THOSE. Say it with me Obama-haters.
  • Anonymo... SW 2012/07/09 19:58:52
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    Yes, because so many jobs were lost. You're still only at about 2/3 the 2004 level.
  • SW Anonymo... 2012/07/16 13:29:10
    SW
    Right after 8 years of record job growth under Clinton's liberal communist policies and no Bush tax cuts.
  • cap3m SW 2012/07/09 23:08:52
    cap3m
    Governments do not create jobs.
  • SW cap3m 2012/07/16 13:31:41
    SW
    +1
    Really? Go find a job where there is no government. Good luck with that. There is no Government and Private Sector when it comes right down to it's all one big complicated thing really the lines between them are illusions.
  • voice_matters 2012/07/09 18:50:50
    voice_matters
    so he hasn't created any jobs or lowered the cost of college. can you tell me what you think obama has done
  • voice_m... voice_m... 2012/07/09 18:53:45
    voice_matters
    I SEE HOW IGNORANT LIBS ARE BY THIS THREAD ALONE. IF OBAMA SIGNED THIS INTO LAW THEN THE GOP SUPPORTED IT AND THEY SHOULD BE GIVEN THE CREDIT JUST AS MUCH IF NOT MORE THAN OBAMA
  • Michael Hertel 2012/07/09 18:46:29
    Michael Hertel
    +1
    The United states might with help from Mexico be able to set up a power station in Death Valley with water from the Pacific ocean- gulf of California., Might be a good way to provide energy and more water to the country to the East of where it is simply allowed to evaporate.
  • ETpro 2012/07/09 18:28:33
    ETpro
    +3
    Wonder of wonders. Congress actually did something. Could it be some of them still have a modicum of shame left?
  • jdemme 2012/07/09 18:12:13
    jdemme
    +1
    But that's socialism! Equal opportunity, fairness, all Marxist thinkings.
  • Anonymo... jdemme 2012/07/09 18:28:05
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    +1
    Equal opportunity isn't socialism, equal outcome is.
  • SW Anonymo... 2012/07/09 19:02:12
    SW
    Yep.
  • jdemme Anonymo... 2012/07/10 16:28:34
    jdemme
    'twas a joke.
  • SW jdemme 2012/07/09 19:03:56
    SW
    +1
    So the founding fathers were Marxist when they said "all men are created equal" and we were Marxist when we put the equal protection clause in the constitution? Wait... are you being ironic? It's very subtle. I might not be getting it....
  • jdemme SW 2012/07/10 16:28:11
    jdemme
    Yes, it was sarcasm. I'm not crazy...lol.
  • Lady Wh... jdemme 2012/07/09 19:45:13
    +2
    LOLZ!!! To the republicans that is....
  • Keeping It Real 2012/07/09 17:50:45
    Keeping It Real
    +5
    Good for him and the country and I hope he keeps the pressure up!
  • gracious43 2012/07/09 17:47:26
    gracious43
    +1
    Women who really want to work outside of the home should not major in Women's studies.

If they really don't want to work outside of the home, they should get married, stay home and quit blubbering about Women's Rights, and Work Discrimination. In that case there is no reason to spend thousands of dollars on a Woman's Study degree, and then blubber about how no one will hire them, and how expensive student loans are.

MS what to do with a woman s studies degree

women's studies | WORK

-----------------------------...

Transform The World
    What you can do with a degree in women’s studies.

by Nikki Ayanna Stewart

a) Become the first woman president of Harvard University
    b) Win a Rhodes Scholarship to study sexual civil rights
    c) Advocate for domestic-violence survivors while starring on TV’s Survivor
    d) Teach the next generation
    e) All of the above, and more

It's a typical question from parents, fellow students and even faculty: What can you do with your college degree? In an era of conservative impediments to progressive liberal arts education, a field such as women’s studies seems a particularly common target for that query.
  • Paul 2012/07/09 17:45:32
    Paul
    +1
    Keep writing those letters and sending those emails, tweets, ect. "They do make a difference" how much effect did those letters have actually have, but Congress finally signed off on something. I hope Congress got the message, their jobs are on the line if all they do is stall all efforts Obama makes.

Take advantage, if your not working and can't find a job, get yourself an education. Whether or not some of these colleges are worth the money they charge might be questionable, but in today's job market, that college degree or certificate means everything to get the better paying jobs, so take advantage if you can. If the repugs get back in the White House, that may not be an available opportunity anymore.
  • Joel 2012/07/09 17:44:16
    Joel
    +3
    Excellent!
  • 912er 2012/07/09 17:32:07
    912er
    +3
    Maybe he should talk to the colleges that charge outrageous admission fees instead of congress. If the schools didn't charge so much maybe more middle class folks could go...
  • Paul 912er 2012/07/09 18:03:56
    Paul
    State Colleges are your best bet when it comes to cost. The money some of these kids owe in student loans is incredible amounts of money. It is the least the government can do for them is keep the interest on those loans at reasonable rates. For some of these young people, their college loans amount to numbers similar to what you might pay on a mortgage. I'd like to see those kids be able to consolidate and lock in at 3-4% like being offered on home mortgage loans.

It seems like nothing for a college grad to owe 100k by the time they graduate. What interest are they paying these days?
  • voice_m... 912er 2012/07/09 18:52:14
    voice_matters
    should the government tell private business how to charge for their goods and services
  • Paul voice_m... 2012/07/09 19:20:09
    Paul
    +1
    considering the Federal government is paying for the education of so many people, and most colleges accept plenty of grant and subsidies, yes, it is a National concern how much these institutions charge. If a private business is filling government contracts or accepting any government money, then also, yes the government has a right to dictate what they feel proper charges should be for services rendered, just like any other paying customer. Of course the private business or school also has the right to set their own fees. But like anything else, if those fees are too high and your largest customer tells you so, and if they can't compete to the customers satisfaction, let them wither away like so many businesses with overpriced products.

2014/04/19 19:41:45