Olive Garden And Red Lobster To Cut Workers Hours In Advance Of Obamacare. Will Obamacare force Business to use part time workers and reduce full time Jobs?

CAPISCE 2012/10/10 10:14:03
YES
no
The owner of Olive Garden and Red Lobster restaurants is putting more workers on part-time status in a test aimed at limiting the impact of looming health coverage requirements.

Darden Restaurants declined to give details but said the test is only in restaurants in four markets across the country. The test entails increasing the number of workers on part-time status, meaning they work less than 30 hours a week. Under the new health care act, companies will be required to provide health care to full-time employees by 2014. That would significantly boost labor costs for businesses.

About 75 percent of Darden’s employees are currently part-timers.

Bob McAdam, who heads government affairs and community relations for Darden, said the company is still learning from the tests, which was first reported by The Orlando Sentinel.

“We’re not at a point where we have results,” he said. McAdam also noted that Darden is not alone in looking at ways to keep labor costs in check, with companies industry wide prepping for the new regulations to take effect.
...

• Risk 2012/10/10 13:05:25
    YES
    Risk
    +20
    We are just witnessing the very start of what this very poor thought out health plan and the problems and effects it's going to have on our economy. It's going to prove to be one big A$$ boondoggle just like the hundreds of billions of dollars thrown away with Green projects ! This president hasn't a clue of the proper way to do anything when it comes to cause and effect and it gets more apparent everyday he's in office !

obamacare

• CAPISCE Rod 2012/10/11 12:46:17
    CAPISCE
    Yep
  • Tee Quake 2012/10/10 22:05:24
    YES
    Tee Quake
    +1
    I mean, that's what the story is all about. Unless businesses get a coveted ObamaScam waiver, the law is doing tremendous damage as a wealth redistribution mechanism a la Obonehead. The jig is finally up and Dems are running for the hills to escape being lumped together with Obama.
  • bob h. Tee Quake 2012/10/11 01:18:32
    bob h.
    When they passed Romneycare in Mass; Mass became the state with the highest number of Drs. in the country. By far.
  • Rich Matarese 2012/10/10 21:37:11 (edited)
    YES
    Rich Matarese
    +2
    Every effort made by politicians (at any level) to "regulate" economic activities of any kind invariably increases costs.

Were that not the case, businesses would not have to be REQUIRED by government goons to do the things that the regulations ordain.

Every time such government thuggery gets shoved down the throats of people who run businesses, two things are absolutely inevitable:

(1) Consumers (customers) suffer higher prices.

(2) Employees (and other people providing productive and intrinsically necessary services, supplies, etc. to those businesses) suffer lower rates of payment.

The effect on the economy is grindingly incremental, but always bad. It destroys productivity and profitability.

This makes it more difficult to improve quality of life for everybody while at the same time depriving investors and entrepreneurs of the incentive to do so.

Keep government out of the economy. Obamacare must not only be repealed but the politicians who enacted it must be hunted down and slaughtered.

(Er, in a figurative sense. Yeah, right; "figurative sense." Sure.)
  • AL 2012/10/10 21:33:32
    YES
    AL
    +2
    At least we all know what nuty pilosy was talking about, when she said,LETS pass it so we can find out whats in it
  • Rich Ma... AL 2012/10/10 21:51:24
    Rich Matarese
    +1
    No, what she meant was: "If you see what's in it, you'll never pass it. Your constituents will murder you."
  • AL Rich Ma... 2012/10/12 08:28:46
    AL
    +1
    Good point!
  • Tee Quake AL 2012/10/11 01:36:54
    Tee Quake
    +2
    Probably one of the stupidest, most dishonest idiots, to ever sit on Capitol Hill! She also used insider information to play the stock market and net herself a quick Three Million ($3,000,000.00) dollars. As far as I can tell, most of the Congressional fodder did not take advantage of Pelosi's loophole, which benefited politicians - allowing them to trade on info they learned while in office. It would have netted you or me 20 years in prison (had we tried to trade on the same info). Due to the public outcry, last summer, the loophole was hastily closed, but don't expect to see Pelosi giving anything back anytime soon. She is a national embarrassment and I'd love to see her get what's coming.
  • 3kidsandamom 2012/10/10 19:43:43
    YES
    3kidsandamom
    +3
    But this doesn't come as a surprise to those who read the bill and attempted to warn others that it would hurt more people than it would ever help! The economy will only go down from here, however it is not an unintended consequence but a plan intentionally put in place to ensure America has a fair and equal place in the global community! Other nations cannot be raised to our standard of living so we must be lowered to theirs, it is social justice at it's finest according to Barack Hussein Obama, enjoy!
  • kcoat 2012/10/10 19:38:07
  • Maddog 2012/10/10 19:26:52
    YES
    Maddog
    +1
    Yet again, another of the unintended consequences of Obamacare!

More to come, folks!
  • ☆FritzW☆ 2012/10/10 19:12:36
    YES
    ☆FritzW☆
    +1
    Obamacare is going to further destroy the economy as more and more businesses begin looking for ways to cut costs or increase prices to cover the added expenses. Easiest ways to do it? Cut hours or employees or increase prices to consumers. I'm so glad he likes having it called Obamacare; historically he'll deserve the attachment.
  • Tee Quake ☆FritzW☆ 2012/10/11 01:43:37
    Tee Quake
    I honestly believe that was the real purpose of Obamacare - to further decimate the economy leading to a total economic collapse. "Coincidentally", radical leftist's will tell you that facilitating an economic disaster is the way of choice to takeover a country without resorting to an armed rebellion.
  • ☆FritzW☆ Tee Quake 2012/10/11 12:50:53
    ☆FritzW☆
    I hear you! Well... got my mail in ballot and cast the vote! Now it's a matter for the rest of you. :)
  • joe dirt ☆FritzW☆ 2012/11/21 22:52:03
    joe dirt
    I think you have it wrong it is businesses trying to make more money by blaming it on Obama. Myself I will just quit eating at these big chains that pay the CEO's millions of dollars while paying the employees the least amount as possible so they get make more money. What is wrong with sharing the wealth a little by at least assisting in paying some of the cost. I CAN EAT AT HOME!
  • David 2012/10/10 18:43:28
    YES
    David
    +1
    But only if it's not gutted or repealed.
  • Tim Upham 2012/10/10 18:41:32
    no
    Tim Upham
    I have no idea. With how stagnant our economy is, anything is possible.
  • liz 2012/10/10 18:12:40 (edited)
    YES
    liz
    +2
    Not sure where Red lobster & Olive garden has been, but this has been going on for years. On a personal note ( During Clinton era) I worked for a large insurance comp. After 3 1/2 yrs being there I was laid off as many others( over 200 employees- some being there over 20 yrs) looking for work, I applied to manpower a temp service, Where MY job was listed & they wanted to place me at ( the one I was just laid off from) making 2$ more a hr, but no benefits or medical ......
  • bill.fleming.77 2012/10/10 17:46:08
    YES
    bill.fleming.77
    This was and is expected to happen. I can say it is tough on the workers which may be true but I do not know how many of these workers support Obama. This is similar to the lie, "if you like your healthcare provider, you will be able to keep your provider under this plan". This ,for anyone of intelligence, knows is BS. The plan is to push out private insurance and force Americans into the government health plan. It's all good because the only ones who will suffer are the citizens who are perfectly okay with the coverage that they have today. Let's call it straight. This was rammed through to fulfill the process of government dependency and for this Administration and party to secure votes in this election, similar to the immigration Executive Order that Obama signed a few months ago or relieving Student loans. It's all about the vote and staying in power any one who believe other wise is simply ignorant regarding politics or has drank so much Cool-aid that they are too far gone to use logic.
  • Jesferkicks 2012/10/10 17:41:19
    YES
    Jesferkicks
    Yes and no. Some companies will merely shove health care onto medicare, much like Walmart does today.
  • john brenni 2012/10/10 17:17:40
  • Just me ♥ 2012/10/10 17:15:23
    YES
    Just me ♥
    +1
    Yep, I called that one about 2-3 months ago and was laughed at for saying it on here. I've managed restaurants at the upper management level before, so I saw this coming.
  • StarWarsBob 2012/10/10 17:05:22
    no
    StarWarsBob
    The PPACA does not require employers to provide health insurance for their employees.

"Under the new health care act, companies will be required to provide health care to full-time employees by 2014."

This is absolutely FALSE. The PPACA does have an INDIVIDUAL MANDATE for health insurance coverage on January 1, 2014 for all American citizens, but it DOES NOT have an EMPLOYER MANDATE for employees health insurance coverage. What the law does do is it imposes a nondeductible penalty for employers IF any of their full-time employees qualify for and receive federal subsidies for health insurance. If no employees are receiving federal subsidies, there are no penalties for employers.

The vast majority of large employers offers health insurance to their employees, and the HMO Act of 1973 required those employers that offered health insurance to offer federally certified HMO options.
  • Tom 2012/10/10 17:00:05
    YES
    Tom
    Hopefully these people vote.
  • Rust 2012/10/10 16:44:39
  • dispatcher 2012/10/10 16:40:31
    YES
    dispatcher
    +6
    famous reagan quotes about government
    *** OMG = OBAMA MUST GO !!!!!!!! *****
  • Susan 2012/10/10 16:28:00
    YES
    Susan
    +2
    Consequences of big government.
  • Centurion~PWCM~JLA 2012/10/10 16:17:22
    YES
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    +5
    I see it possibly happening.

It will be a real kick in the arse when the only people able to work full time are government employees.

Fire obama!

Repeal obamacare!

Take our country back!
  • Fashionable60s 2012/10/10 16:15:35
    YES
    Fashionable60s
    +3
    This is just the beginning of what will come about once Obamacare is funded. Next, the Independent Payment Advisory Board in Washington (aka the death squad) will decide that old people should not get treatments that they need because they might die sooner than if the treatments were given to younger persons. Baby boomers, pay attention and vote Obama out of office in November.
  • mustangluver 2012/10/10 16:04:12
    YES
    mustangluver
    +7
    My town started laying off and firing and cutting hrs over a yr ago..A full time job is rare here. I have a friend who traveled 20 miles each day back and forth to work and then her hrs were cut and with the price of gas, she had to quit..and she's not alone.
    obamacare death panel
    friend traveled 20 work hrs cut price gas quit shes
  • Centuri... mustang... 2012/10/10 16:24:52
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    With a Master's Degree I'm still working part time at six different employers. Even the lowest paying goes to great lengths to keep anyone from exceeding 39 1/2 hours a week. With one contract ending, hours are going to reduce to about 20 or less each week.
  • bill.fl... Centuri... 2012/10/10 17:50:26
    bill.fleming.77
    +1
    THAT IS REALLY MESSED UP ARE YOU IN A POSITION TO PICK UP AND FIND ANOTHER REGION OF THE us WERE JOBS MAY BE EASIER TO COME BY?
  • Centuri... bill.fl... 2012/10/10 20:40:51
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    Not really,

I'm licensed for one profession in two states and licensed in another profession in one. Hopefully with a change from a regime to an administration, jobs will improve, the taxpayer base will increase, schools will be built and opened and teachers will be hired. Somewhere in that progress will hopefully have permanent employment for myself. There were two jobs which came up which I was "highly qualified" for, unfortunately, one had a requirement of fluent Spanish, the other required fluent Russian. My second language is German.

I've also applied to perform this profession overseas in the Department of Defense. Next year perhaps? Turkey? Japan? Korea? Germany?

I did just get a call for an interview a short time ago. That may have me on my way.
  • bill.fl... Centuri... 2012/11/11 23:28:56
    bill.fleming.77
    +2
    Well with the results of last Tuesday I wish you and everyone luck. The DOD may be your best option but still a bit questionable
  • frank 2012/10/10 15:43:03
    YES
    frank
    +4
    Obama's plan to destroy America is working. With businesses going to part-time workers instead of full time it just means that more people will be working for less and then qualifying for low income food stamps. The more people that rely on the government the better for Obama’s plan.
  • Centuri... frank 2012/10/10 16:29:06
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    I see your point Frank but there are some people who will be forced to go onto assistance who have the good judgment to see "what" put them there and won't vote for obama. Only the absolutely stupidest ones will vote obama just to keep getting "free stuff" mainly because they are the ones who are too lazy or irresponsible to earn it themselves.

i only got to vote once
  • frank Centuri... 2012/10/10 17:35:18
    frank
    +2
    They are the ones getting the 'Obama dollars'
  • Centuri... frank 2012/10/10 20:43:14
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Somehow they think that they have "earned" them by voting for obama.
  • bill.fl... Centuri... 2012/10/10 17:51:41
    bill.fleming.77
    +1
    And this is why this and other entitlement programs are being promoted by Obama. It is a way to basically buy votes
  • Centuri... bill.fl... 2012/10/10 20:42:36
    Centurion~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Exactly. Trust me though, not everybody employed by the federal government is tricked by this Charlatan.

2014/04/20 08:26:28