Obama Says Romney Wants to Raise Taxes on Middle-Class to Give Wealthy a Break: Does He?

Chris D 2012/08/01 20:00:00
The spin keeps on spinning. Now, it's Obama saying Romney will raise taxes on the middle class to keep the tax breaks going for the super wealthy. Sounds fishy to me. Is Obama right, or is it true that Mitt Romney is planning to raise taxes on the middle class?

ABCNEWS.GO.COM reports:
AKRON, Ohio – President Obama today pounced on a new report that found Mitt Romney’s economic plan would raise taxes on the majority of Americans and give tax breaks to the super wealthy, telling supporters in the battleground state of Ohio that his opponent wants them to pay more so that “people like him” can get a tax cut.
obama romney

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/08/obama...

• Daryl 2012/08/01 21:23:17
    Yes, Romney wants to raise taxes on middle class!
    Daryl
    +25
    Yes.

Romney knows that by pandering to the ultra-ultra-ultra-wealthy he will win the election.

They make up the majority of voters in swing states like Ohio, Indiana and New Mexico.

• SusanBaumgaertnerFentz 2012/09/01 02:42:36
    No, it's all just spin.
    SusanBaumgaertnerFentz
    The man has been saying over and over that it makes no sense to raise taxes in an economy like this. He promises NOT to raise taxes and anyone with a brain in his head knows raising taxes now will only hurt the economy. Obama's plan of "taxing the rich" will only raise 2% of the deficit. Just because Obama broke every promise he made, just because Obama is a LIAR, does not make Mitt Romney that way.
  • debra.f... SusanBa... 2012/09/03 01:51:34
    debra.faber
    No - Romney lying is what makes Romney that way. He's already established a habit of it, and I don't see that changing much if he wins the presidency.
  • ThickAzABrick 2012/08/19 23:27:41
    No, it's all just spin.
    ThickAzABrick
    Obama spins me round, round baby right round- like a record baby.
  • BBLEE 2012/08/19 07:52:03
    No, it's all just spin.
    BBLEE
    Doubling the cost of Gasoline has done more to hurt the middle class than anything else.then add Ten dollars a carton for those that can afford to smoke, higher electric bills etc. and don't say gas price isn't his fault, I heard him blame Bush before being elected.His policies are ruining the Country
  • Soundstorm 2012/08/13 12:10:48
    No, it's all just spin.
    Soundstorm
    +1
    Mitt Romney isn't raising taxes on anybody. His plan is as follows:

• Make a permanent, across-the-board 20 percent cut in marginal rates

• Maintain current tax rates on interest, dividends and capital gains

• Eliminate taxes for taxpayers with adjusted gross income below $200,000 on interest, dividends and capital gains

• Eliminate the death tax

• Repeal the Alternative Minimum Tax

Of course in liberal logic if you don't raise taxes on the rich you are 'stealing' government services from 'the poor' and so you will have to raise taxes on the middle class to fulfill Congress' irrational base line budget which is always expanding. It never occurs to them in their myopic thinking that it's the base line budgeting process that allocates more funds to departments and agencies that deliberately purge their budgets in order to automatically qualify for more funding that must be changed.
  • Ozzyboy 2012/08/09 03:13:47
    No, it's all just spin.
    Ozzyboy
    +2
    0 and camp usually accuse others of what they are trying to do themselves.
  • gocar 2012/08/08 21:55:07
    gocar
    +1
    Let's say "yes" just to be contrary. Politics is a knock down dragged out fight to the finish. I was devastated when GW won a second term after all the lying and the wars. The fact is George Bush DID NOT KEEP US SAFE but people voted for him anyway. He told us he earned "capital" in the election and promptly turned out our pockets until many went broke. His buddies made out like bandits. Some of us saw it coming but what can you do? People vote on feelings not facts. They got c arried away with patriotic nonsense and flag waving.
  • Soundstorm gocar 2012/08/13 12:13:18
    Soundstorm
    Do you day dream all this up yourself or do you get all your knowledge of the world from Saturday morning cartoons?
  • Kat ♪.BTO-t-BCRA-F~PWCM~ 2012/08/08 21:15:43
    No, it's all just spin.
    Kat ♪.BTO-t-BCRA-F~PWCM~
    +3
    BS Obama at it again.
  • Bearish~PWCM~ 2012/08/08 21:08:17
    No, it's all just spin.
    Bearish~PWCM~
    +6
    Only a mind numb moron would believe a word Obama says..
    obama lies
  • debra.f... Bearish... 2012/08/09 15:27:27
    debra.faber
    Yes, Bearish. Just keep repeating it. and repeating it.
  • Bearish... debra.f... 2012/08/10 10:47:32
    Bearish~PWCM~
    +1
    Thank You for making my point
  • debra.f... Bearish... 2012/09/03 01:52:41
    debra.faber
    And thank you for making mine.
  • Grandbrother 2012/08/07 00:27:26
    Grandbrother
    +2
    All we can go by is the plan Romney has been touting, which will provide tax breaks to the wealthy and tax hikes to the middle class and poor. If he wanted to lower taxes for the middle class, he'd have presented a plan that does it.
  • Soundstorm Grandbr... 2012/08/13 12:14:29
    Soundstorm
    You haven't been paying attention then.
  • Grandbr... Soundstorm 2012/08/13 14:57:34
    Grandbrother
    I sure have.
  • Soundstorm Grandbr... 2012/08/14 05:04:37
    Soundstorm
    Getting your yuks from the Daily Show doesn't qualify as paying attention.
  • Grandbr... Soundstorm 2012/08/14 07:06:24
    Grandbrother
    Agreed. Nor does watching FOX, or listening to Limbaugh, or Beck, or Palin, or any of their ilk.
  • Soundstorm Grandbr... 2012/08/14 07:11:02
    Soundstorm
    How would you know since you never watch or listen to any of them? How are you paying attention by insulating yourself from information the mainstream news avoids broadcasting?
  • Grandbr... Soundstorm 2012/08/14 07:23:38
    Grandbrother
    I don't? Huh. I thought I did.
  • ☆astac☆~PWCM 2012/08/06 23:14:50
    No, it's all just spin.
    ☆astac☆~PWCM
    +5
    All obama can do is lie. Nothing he says is fact
    fgt
  • Grandbr... ☆astac☆... 2012/08/07 00:38:18
    Grandbrother
    +1
    Well, according to the Tax Policy Center - an organization who's work Romney has described as "Objective, Third-Party Analysis" - Romney's tax plan "would provide large tax cuts to high-income households, and increase the tax burdens on middle and/or lower-income taxpayers": http://www.taxpolicycenter.or...
  • ☆astac☆... Grandbr... 2012/08/07 00:52:45
    ☆astac☆~PWCM
    +2
    We have this about the tax policy center
    The Institute was established in 1968 by the Lyndon B. Johnson administration to study the nation’s urban problems and evaluate the Great Society initiatives embodied in more than 400 laws passed in the prior four years. Johnson hand-selected well-known economists and civic leaders to create the non-partisan, independent research organization. Their ranks included Kermit Gordon, McGeorge Bundy, Irwin Miller, Arjay Miller, Richard Neustadt, Cyrus Vance, and Robert McNamara.[3] William Gorham, former Assistant Secretary for Health, Education and Welfare, was selected as its first president and served from 1968-2000.

Gradually, the Institute's research and funding base broadened. Today, federal government contracts provide about 55% of the Institute’s operating funds, foundations another 34%, and state and local governments and private individuals the rest.[4] Some of the Institute’s more than 100 private sponsors and funders include The Atlantic Philanthropies, the Annie E. Casey Foundation, the Ford Foundation, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation, the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation, and the Rockefeller Foundation.

Sounds like a bunch of progressive doubletalk
  • Grandbr... ☆astac☆... 2012/08/07 16:44:23
    Grandbrother
    +1
    "Sounds like a bunch of progressive doubletalk"

Of course it would to a right wing extremist.
  • debra.f... ☆astac☆... 2012/08/09 15:28:51
    debra.faber
    Just repeating this lie without proof, is just another lie. Perhaps you think if you continue to repeat it, it will become the truth. It just doesn't fly.
  • ☆ElenaDiamond☆ 2012/08/06 23:08:21
    ☆ElenaDiamond☆
    +1
    Yes of course. That will help him win. Voters are all very wealthy.
  • Okie Lady ☆ElenaD... 2012/09/01 14:07:35
    Okie Lady
    I am a retired teacher. Never made great money while working, but I was forced to retire and now I make half what I did. I will vote for Romney because Obama is skinning me and others like me! It's awful to be 70 and scared you can't even pay your bills because the current administration is giving a good part of my promised social security, which I paid in for 30 years, to a bunch of illegals who just stay home and have baby after baby. As it is, Obama will probably be sending a death committee to see me, but he doesn't need to because when I run out of money I have to die. One hospitalization, even for something minor, will ruin me and I'll have to die at that time! So do people wonder why suicide is up among senior citizens? Just our only option at some point.
  • debra.f... Okie Lady 2012/09/03 01:59:07
    debra.faber
    Let's just be honest here - you were never going to vote for Obama. There is no such thing as a death committee (or death panel) as the right wingers like to term it. This has (again) been repeatly debunked. Obama passed a bill that will help you with healthcare, and address exactly the issue of "one hospitalization, even for something minor, will ruin me." And you folks don't even look at it because crazies in your party call it socialism. Oh the rhetoric is so tired.
  • Pearlie Momi♥Patriot Warrior♥ 2012/08/06 19:52:09
    No, it's all just spin.
    Pearlie Momi♥Patriot Warrior♥
    +9
    Obama lies.....Romney don't want to raise Taxes period. .Get it...
  • debra.f... Pearlie... 2012/08/09 15:30:30
    debra.faber
    Right wing baloney. Keep denying and voting against your own interests. Oh yeah, and watch Fox news
  • Pearlie... debra.f... 2012/08/09 22:03:45
    Pearlie Momi♥Patriot Warrior♥
    +2
    Keep listening to Obama lies..Keep drinking the Kool aid.
    Keep being an idiot ....I don't wan to talk to radical libs who are big idiots.
    Good bye...Left wing baloney idiot...Keep on believing Obama lies.
    Obama lies
  • Soundstorm debra.f... 2012/08/13 12:15:54
    Soundstorm
    You're describing your own thought process.
  • Rich 2012/08/06 19:11:23
    Rich
    +1
    More Robin Hood in reverse.
  • ComeOnNow Rich 2012/08/06 22:14:01
    ComeOnNow
    +3
    Nonsense. You are just a petty thief trying to steal from your neighbors
  • Rich ComeOnNow 2012/08/07 04:48:40
    Rich
    +1
    By favoring a progressive tax system? If that's the case, then every republic in the world is run by thieves. What a mindset you wingnuts have!
  • ComeOnNow Rich 2012/08/07 14:22:24
    ComeOnNow
    +2
    Stealing through government is still stealing. The corrupt politicians simply use the money to buy votes. Demanding others money is stealing. What the hell kind of mentality do you left Wing nuts have?
  • Rich ComeOnNow 2012/08/07 15:25:22
    Rich
    +1
    You are mischaracterizing the philosophical difference between the two sides. Liberals believe those who benefit most in an organized society have a greater obligation to assist those who don't. Right-wingers disagree and are driven by a belief social darwinism. We just don't see greed and selfishness and virtues whereas you don't agree.
  • ComeOnNow Rich 2012/08/07 23:12:36 (edited)
    ComeOnNow
    +2
    Not really, liberals feel they should be able to live irresponsibly and that they should be able to steal from others when they have nothing to do with your personal choices. This whole "benefit more from society" philosophy is nonsense. They benefit from working harder and smarter than you tools and that in no way entitles you to what they have. Right wingers actually believe in personally helping others and being responsible for themselves. Remember obamas own brother lives in a shack and Obama does not give a damn about him or you. How is that for Darwinism?
  • Rich ComeOnNow 2012/08/08 02:47:09
    Rich
    +1
    Your stereotypes are too absurd to waste my time. You personify why, while I used to occasionally vote for a Republican, I no longer even consider that option.
    As one example of the GOP's hypocrisy, it claims to be the party of self-responsibility while opposing a health care mandate, thus allowing people who can afford insurance to get medical care and foist the cost on to the rest of us.
    I'm not sure further conversation would accomplish anything as we could not agree on the time of day. Perhaps we can agree on one thing: the core values of the two sides are so far apart that it's little wonder we have perpetual gridlock.
  • ComeOnNow Rich 2012/08/08 11:40:09
    ComeOnNow
    +2
    How is it hypocrisy for a pro freedom guy to not want the oppressive government to use brute force to mandate something that I already pay for because I am personally responsible, while killing millions of jobs. The only things the left is consistent on is a lack of personal responsibility, stealing from their neighbors, and punishing those that are responsible in favor of those that are irresponsible.

2014/04/16 04:12:27