Neil Armstrong Dies at Age 82: Were You Inspired by the 'First Man on the Moon'?

On Saturday, at the age of 82, Neil Armstrong died of complications from cardiovascular procedures. Forty-three years ago, on July 20, 1969, he became the first person to set foot on the moon, declaring, “That’s one small step for man; one giant leap for mankind.” In addition to his historic steps on the moon, which were watched intently on TV by an estimated 600 million people worldwide, Armstrong will be remembered for his strong character and deep humility.

“While we mourn the loss of a very good man, we also celebrate his remarkable life and hope that it serves as an example to young people around the world to work hard to make their dreams come true, to be willing to explore and push the limits, and to selflessly serve a cause greater than themselves,” said the Armstrong family statement.

The statement went on, “For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink.”

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-neil-...

• alw_ays 2012/09/25 06:01:36
    alw_ays
    "Sure, I'll let you swing me mysteriously into the darkness of space. Who knows? I may die in that space suit." Yes. Inspirational.
  • mikeeonly 2012/09/08 21:28:01
    mikeeonly
    of course
  • Larry777 2012/09/02 07:48:00
    Larry777
    He was a great explorer. He would have wanted us to go out and explore some more, to go on an adventure, to leave everyday life and go out and do something exciting. Yet here we are, all of us, sitting at our cubicles, lounging around in our homes at the computer, doing nothing. We should be out there, not in here! We should go do something productive, like Neil did, we should follow his footsteps and go do something awesome and adventurous!
  • tikiteek 2012/08/30 16:24:18
    tikiteek
    RIP Neil.
  • Spider20 2012/08/30 05:16:04
    Spider20
    I was 13 , into things like space and astronomy - had a school notebook with the solar system on it, I still have a telescope and look at the stars often.....amazes me every time

Isn't it interesting that the Cold War space race eventually provided a venue for 2 enemies to become more friendly with each other....
  • Dan5280 2012/08/30 05:09:01
    Dan5280
    +1
    I remember it all. It was great to watch history in the making
  • Apache 2012/08/29 19:02:14
  • Spider20 Apache 2012/08/30 05:11:11
    Spider20
    +1
    Glad you came back from Nam.....
  • Larry777 Spider20 2012/09/02 07:48:53
    Larry777
    In one piece...
  • alex 2012/08/29 16:01:47
    alex
    +2
    A True AMERICAN HERO!!! I actually spoke with him about his accomplishments. He was a very humble man. He never took credit for what was a great collaborative effort. Rest in peace. The world may never know another quite like you.
  • DizziNY 2012/08/29 11:11:13 (edited)
    DizziNY
    +1
    I remember I was a real little and my brothers and I watched this on TV. I was like 3. I am happy I got to see history in the making. I love America and I pray for her because she is in a bad way right now.

R.I.P. Neil
  • Lucy 2012/08/29 04:09:52
    Lucy
    +1
    I thought he was a great man, brave and so smart.
  • Bilingual required sucks 2012/08/29 01:09:58
    Bilingual required sucks
    +2
    RIP Neil, and thank you for the enormous risks you took for your country and for mankind.
  • Dan 2012/08/29 00:10:19
    Dan
    +2
    An amazing person and accomplishment.
  • Kerri Mackenzie 2012/08/28 23:44:08
    Kerri Mackenzie
    +2
    He was a true American hero. Rest in peace, Mr. Armstrong.
  • Marek 2012/08/28 23:18:08
    Marek
    +4
    I was. I am still inspired but also great deal of sadness that he died without seeing the American landing on Mars. I blame Clinton, Bush and obama administartions for wasting the opportunities by gutting NASA in the name of "greater good" of more welfare spending and attempting to help with muslim democracy, both being futile efforts.
  • Lucy Marek 2012/08/29 04:12:22
    Lucy
    +1
    Oh, boy, Marek, you just said everything my husband i think. What a stupid waste of talent and great minds for proping up deadbeat, worthless jerks who do absolutely nothing for the good of anyo
  • Apache Lucy 2012/08/29 19:03:29
  • Lucy Apache 2012/08/29 21:27:01
    Lucy
    +1
    Ha-ha. I am sorry; my computer would not let me finish, anyone.
  • johnqpu... Marek 2012/08/31 02:39:13 (edited)
    johnqpublic
    I understand your disappointment. but your blame is unwarranted if not misdirected.The space shuttle technology was over 30 years old. As far as the past and present administrations being to blame, I can think of plenty of things to blame on one of those in particular. (care to guess which one?) And yes priorities did change over the years but welfare spending ? If by "helping Muslim democracy" you mean the sham war that that jackoff Baby Bush started, then yes, that certainly drained money away from lots of other things including NASA. Ultimately the stagnant technology was what killed NASA. We hadn't advanced much in as far as "deep space" exploration since the last lunar landing.We didn't have and still don't have the technology to advance beyond the moon. And research and development costs $$$$. And that sham war is costing some $30 billion a month. And we're still what? two years from pulling the rest of our troops out of there? Of course there will still be troops there.More $$$$. Consider several very costly natural disasters including Katrina and now Isaac. So while I share your disappointment about NASAs demise, I also think that advancement in the area of space travel and exploration will come from private companies. When you think about it, that might be the bet...
    I understand your disappointment. but your blame is unwarranted if not misdirected.The space shuttle technology was over 30 years old. As far as the past and present administrations being to blame, I can think of plenty of things to blame on one of those in particular. (care to guess which one?) And yes priorities did change over the years but welfare spending ? If by "helping Muslim democracy" you mean the sham war that that jackoff Baby Bush started, then yes, that certainly drained money away from lots of other things including NASA. Ultimately the stagnant technology was what killed NASA. We hadn't advanced much in as far as "deep space" exploration since the last lunar landing.We didn't have and still don't have the technology to advance beyond the moon. And research and development costs $$$$. And that sham war is costing some $30 billion a month. And we're still what? two years from pulling the rest of our troops out of there? Of course there will still be troops there.More $$$$. Consider several very costly natural disasters including Katrina and now Isaac. So while I share your disappointment about NASAs demise, I also think that advancement in the area of space travel and exploration will come from private companies. When you think about it, that might be the better way to go. Yes NASA was our undeniable symbol to the world that we were the the most advanced country in the world. It was something we could point to. No one, not even Russia or China could say they had landed on the moon! I heard Kennedy's challenge as a kid. I watched the landing as a young man.It was an incredible achievement. I think there will be advancements in the near future that will bring us closer to to landing a man on Mars. But that's still I think, a decade off. It would be a great thing if we were the first to do it. I'd like to think I'll be around to see it.
  • .:Princess.of.Pain:. 2012/08/28 22:14:10
    .:Princess.of.Pain:.
    +2
    Rest in peace.. <3
  • jerry 2012/08/28 21:38:09
    jerry
    +2
    Absolutely, and to this day NASA has been an inspiration until the current administration made their number one priority "Islamic Relations". WTF?
  • William Major 2012/08/28 20:02:43
  • Dr. John 2012/08/28 19:41:52 (edited)
    Dr. John
    +4
    But more so for his combat experience as a Navy pilot in Korea. Also, as a test pilot he flew the Bell X-1 and X-15. Now, THAT took guts!!!

Thank you, Neil! RIP. xxxxxx
  • Jaiheena Star 2012/08/28 19:12:25
  • DavE 2012/08/28 16:26:18 (edited)
    DavE
    +3
    Absolutely YES !

The Apollo program was truly "a giant leap for mankind".

How ironic that people answer "No" in 2012 because they claim Apollo was faked.
    The best thing I can say about them is that they "choose to be confused".
    The truth I can say about them would violate SH's TOS.
    Obamunism does love them though, for they are a BIG part of Obama's Socialist idiots.

Neil Armstrong Criticizes Obama Space Plan (from NPR) http://www.npr.org/templates/...
  • Dr. John DavE 2012/08/28 19:14:05
    Dr. John
    +1
    Lumping those that question the moon landing as Obama loving socialists is rather naive. One does not have to be a socialist to question something their government tells them. I tend to believe we went there. BUT, sometimes even I wonder. My biggest question is, why have we never gone back? They only had the computer power of what today would be a basic hand held calculator. Since then we have far better rockets, stronger and lighter weight materials, FAR more knowledge and computers with millions of times more power.
    Oh, and, not all disbelievers are democrats.
  • observer Dr. John 2012/08/28 20:18:15
    observer
    +2
    "My biggest question is, why have we never gone back?"

Are you saying this seriously, or just kidding?
    You are not aware of 5 expeditions that landed on the Moon after Apollo 11?
  • Dr. John observer 2012/08/28 23:08:22
    Dr. John
    +1
    Sorry bout that. I guess I should have asked why we haven't been back - IN THE LAST 40 YEARS!!
  • Lucy Dr. John 2012/08/29 04:14:11
    Lucy
    +2
    Why didn't we go back? Because the democrats gutted NASA and there was not enough money behind another attempt.
  • DavE Dr. John 2012/08/29 05:39:41
    DavE
    +2
    Well I stand by my words here because I didn't use absolutes and people who have an axe to grind with America's exceptionalism and achievements can count Obama among their numbers, or haven't you noticed?

Since the sixth and last Apollo manned lunar landing in December 1972, no man has even ventured out of low earth orbit. At its height in the '60s NASA consumed 3.45 percent of annual federal expenditures. The estimate for 2012 is 0.48 percent. We had a national goal then, we don't now. Expect the Chinese to launch the next manned lunar mission, but they will orbit only and not conduct a manned landing.

The moon is terribly desolate and inhospitable. IMHO the lunar poles are the only locations of potential value warranting further manned exploration today. IF water-ice exists in the permanent shadows at the poles (and there is one estimate of 1.3 trillion pounds of water-ice at the north pole alone http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/... ), those locales will someday be the most valuable pieces of real estate in our solar system. Why? At the poles, very slowly rotating solar collection arrays on vertical masts produce energy 24/7, electrolysis breaks that into H2 and O2 for fuel, and the moon's low gravity (16.7 percent of Earth's) makes space launches from the moon or moon orbit to points beyond much more efficient.
  • Owen 2012/08/28 16:06:55
    Owen
    +3
    A man from an era when America used to dream big.
  • Team ~ I like to piss peopl... 2012/08/28 16:00:20
    Team ~ I like to piss people off! ~
    +1
    Because I'm just not inspired by him. Plus, the moon and space is a scary place. Good on him for going there if he actually did.
  • 4gotten Israelite 2012/08/28 15:35:13
    4gotten Israelite
    Yes I am, but I have wonders if it really happened. We landed a man on the moon in 1969 and haven't touched foot there since. Also I'd like to know who was the camera man already on the moon to film the landing and the astronauts bouncing around on the moon. But I do admire the theory of us being the first to land on the moon.
  • observer 4gotten... 2012/08/28 20:22:34
    observer
    +2
  • DavE observer 2012/08/29 05:44:36
    DavE
    +2
    Some people choose to be confused !
    http://www.popsci.com/technol...
  • 4gotten... DavE 2012/08/29 14:43:18
    4gotten Israelite
    Maybe some people don't believe everything man dangles in front of their face.
  • DavE 4gotten... 2012/08/29 14:56:42
    DavE
    +2
    Seriously, you are the one putting shackles on your own hands.
    Liberate yourself.
    Good luck !
  • 4gotten... DavE 2012/08/29 16:48:52
    4gotten Israelite
    C'mon Dave, I'm just being real. Why is it that people want you to believe and accept without cause? I don't just believe what I hear or see. Maybe the moon landing was real or maybe it wasn't. I see things about the landing that just makes me wonder,is that wrong? do you believe everything you see or hear?
  • DavE 4gotten... 2012/08/30 05:40:22
    DavE
    I sure don't believe everything I see or hear.
    But the six Apollo manned landings on the Moon were as real as the sun that's going to rise tomorrow morning.
    It is truly sad to see people who doubt the Apollo lunar landings. And I know for a fact that a lot of those people (not all) have an axe to grind with America or worse, and I don't care for their agenda at all.

2014/07/10 09:38:18