Navy Seals Condemn Obama for Politicizing UBL Death! What say you?

Space Invader 2012/05/01 01:24:30
SEALs slam Obama for using them as 'ammunition' in bid to take credit for bin Laden killing during election campaign

By TOBY HARNDEN

PUBLISHED: 18:35 EST, 30 April 2012 | UPDATED: 19:34 EST, 30 April 2012

Serving and former US Navy SEALs have slammed President Barack Obama for taking the credit for killing Osama bin Laden and accused him of using Special Forces operators as ‘ammunition’ for his re-election campaign.

The SEALs spoke out to MailOnline after the Obama campaign released an ad entitled ‘One Chance’.

In it President Bill Clinton is featured saying that Mr Obama took ‘the harder and the more honourable path’ in ordering that bin Laden be killed. The words ‘Which path would Mitt Romney have taken?’ are then displayed.

Besides the ad, the White House is marking the first anniversary of the SEAL Team Six raid that killed bin Laden inside his compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan with a series of briefings and an NBC interview in the Situation Room designed to highlight the ‘gutsy call’ made by the President.

Scroll down for video

Taking credit: President Obama has used bin Laden's death as a campaign tool

Mr Obama used a news conference today to trumpet his personal role and imply that his Republican opponent Mr Romney, who in 2008 expressed reservations about the wisdom of sending troops into Pakistan, would have let bin Laden live.

‘I said that I'd go after bin Laden if we had a clear shot at him, and I did,’ Mr Obama said. ‘If there are others who have said one thing and now suggest they'd do something else, then I'd go ahead and let them explain it.’

More...

Ryan Zinke, a former Commander in the US Navy who spent 23 years as a SEAL and led a SEAL Team 6 assault unit, said: ‘The decision was a no brainer. I applaud him for making it but I would not overly pat myself on the back for making the right call.

‘I think every president would have done the same. He is justified in saying it was his decision but the preparation, the sacrifice - it was a broader team effort.’

Mr Zinke, who is now a Republican state senator in Montana, added that MR Obama was exploiting bin Laden’s death for his re-election bid. ‘The President and his administration are positioning him as a war president using the SEALs as ammunition. It was predictable.’

Target: Bin Laden, pictured in his compound in Pakistan, was killed a year ago

Mission: Senior figures gathered to watch Navy SEALs invade the compound

Mr Obama has faced criticism even from allies about his decision to make a campaign ad about the bin Laden raid. Arianna Huffington, an outspoken liberal who runs the left-leaning Huffington Post website, roundly condemned it.

She told CBS: ‘We should celebrate the fact that they did such a great job. It's one thing to have an NBC special from the Situation Room... all that to me is perfectly legitimate, but to turn it into a campaign ad is one of the most despicable things you can do.’

Campaigning in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, Mr Romney responded to a shouted question by a reporter by saying: ‘Even Jimmy Carter would have given that order.’

A serving SEAL Team member said: ‘Obama wasn’t in the field, at risk, carrying a gun. As president, at every turn he should be thanking the guys who put their lives on the line to do this. He does so in his official speeches because he speechwriters are smart.

‘But the more he tries to take the credit for it, the more the ground operators are saying, “Come on, man!” It really didn’t matter who was president. At the end of the day, they were going to go.’

Chris Kyle, a former SEAL sniper with 160 confirmed and another 95 unconfirmed kills to his credit, said: ‘The operation itself was great and the nation felt immense pride. It was great that we did it.

‘But bin Laden was just a figurehead. The war on terror continues. Taking him out didn’t really change anything as far as the war on terror is concerned and using it as a political attack is a cheap shot.

‘In years to come there is going to be information that will come out that Obama was not the man who made the call. He can say he did and the people who really know what happened are inside the Pentagon, are in the military and the military isn’t allowed to speak out against the commander- in-chief so his secret is safe.’

Rival: Mr Obama has questioned whether Mitt Romney would have done the same

Senior military figures have said that Admiral William McRaven, a former SEAL who was then head of Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC) made the decision to take bin Laden out. Tactical decisions were delegated even further down the chain of command.

Mr Kyle added: ‘He's trying to say that Romney wouldn't have made the same call? Anyone who is patriotic to this country would have made that exact call, Democrat or Republican. Obama is taking more credit than he is due but it's going to get him some pretty good mileage.’

A former intelligence official who was serving in the US government when bin Laden was killed said that the Obama administration knew about the al-Qaeda leader’s whereabouts in October 2010 but delayed taking action and risked letting him escape.

‘In the end, Obama was forced to make a decision and do it. He knew that if he didn’t do it the political risks in not taking action were huge. Mitt Romney would have made the call but he would have made it earlier – as would George W. Bush.’

Brandon Webb, a former SEAL who spent 13 years on active duty and served in Iraq and Afghanistan, said: ‘Bush should get partial credit for putting the system in place.

‘Obama inherited a very robust package with regards to special ops and the intelligence community. But Obama deserves credit because he got bin Laden – you can’t take that away from him.

‘My friends that work in Special Operations Command (SOCOM) that have been on video teleconferences with Obama on these kill or capture situations say that Obama has no issue whatsoever with making decisions and typically it's kill. He’s hitting the kill button every time. I have a lot of respect for him for that.’

But he said that many SEALs were dismayed about the amount of publicity the Obama administration had generated about SEAL Team Six, the very existence of which is highly classified.

‘The majority of the SEALs I know are really proud of the operation but it does become “OK, enough is enough – we’re ready to get back to work and step out of the limelight.” They don’t want to be continuously paraded around a global audience like a show dog.

‘Obama has a very good relationship with the Special Operations community at large, especially the SEALs, and it’s nice to see. We had the same relationship with George W. Bush when he was president.’

It was ‘stretching a little much’ for Mr Obama to suggest only he would have made the decision. ‘I personally I don't think Romney would have any problem making tough decisions. He got a very accomplished record of making decision as a business professional.

‘He may not have charisma but he clearly has leadership skills. I don’t think he'd have any problem taking that decision.’

Clint Bruce, who gave up the chance of an NFL career to serve as a SEAL officer before retiring as a lieutenant after nine years, said: ‘We were extremely surprised and discouraged by the publicity because it compromises the ability of those guys to operate.

‘It’s a waste of time to speculate about who would and wouldn’t have made that decision. It was a symphony of opportunity and intelligence that allowed this administration to give the green light. We want to acknowledge that they made that decision.

‘Politicians should let the public know where they stand on national security but not in the play-by-play, detailed way that has been done recently. The intricacies of national security should not become part of stump speeches.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2137636/SEALs-slam-Ob...

Obama stuck his foot in it...
    +11
    Quite frankly ..
    the SEALs are correct ..
    It is very much INSULTING .. and he should be slammed ..
    for the way he's 'using' them ..

• Quazimoto 2012/05/11 22:38:05
    Obama stuck his foot in it...
    Quazimoto
    The man can't even pronounce "corpsman" for crying out loud.

corpseman
  • Tin Man 2012/05/04 03:23:43
    Obama stuck his foot in it...
    Tin Man
    Taking credit for another's accomplishments can never be politically correct. If I tell someone to do a good job and they do, who deserves the credit?
    What's the big deal anyway?
    SO?
  • dasimon1 2012/05/03 00:55:57
    Obama stuck his foot in it...
    dasimon1
    There is a contravercy about Dear Barry Obama and HIS killing of Osama Bin Laden. I think the Seals really know what happened and why a portion of Team 6 perished not once but twice. The night OBL was supposedly killed a helicopter exploded and they said no casualties...... was a lie.... The seals were seen going back in the helicopter before it explode ........and sometime down the road a piece 20 more were killed when a taliban bazooka blew up another helicopter. If all that is true then Barry should keep his big mouth shut before the real truth surfaces. Also there is talk that the team 6 Seals were killed because they new too much. here say? maybe maybe not !
  • ruthannhausman 2012/05/02 14:55:09
    ruthannhausman
    +1
    Two things.

First, it is understandable for a candidate to want to paint himself the prettiest picture for an election. Understood. But Obama could have simply made a generic type speech praising the men and women who came together, blah, blah, blah, and added something like, "I'm proud to have had this take place on my watch" or some such self-praising remark. But to single himself out and then place a totally unprovable challenge as to whether or not his opponent would or could have made the same decision is, in essence, simply doing dishonor to the entire mission. It was a bad decision to politicize that way.

Number two. Obama knows full well the extreme extent and total necessity for secrecy surrounding the Navy SEAL teams and everyone connected with that mission. Besides the obvious need to keep our covert methods secret, there is the life-and-death reality for those people and their families. I mean, face it, we're dealing with terrorists, fanatics here. And don't you think that the families of those warriors would just love to hop outside and tell everybody, "Hey, my dad/mom was on that mission and here's what they did," and just beam with total pride? But they can't and they don't. Because they know what they need to do and they know they can't jeopardize l...

Two things.

Number two. Obama knows full well the extreme extent and total necessity for secrecy surrounding the Navy SEAL teams and everyone connected with that mission. Besides the obvious need to keep our covert methods secret, there is the life-and-death reality for those people and their families. I mean, face it, we're dealing with terrorists, fanatics here. And don't you think that the families of those warriors would just love to hop outside and tell everybody, "Hey, my dad/mom was on that mission and here's what they did," and just beam with total pride? But they can't and they don't. Because they know what they need to do and they know they can't jeopardize lives for the sake of glory. You don't think those guys would just love strutting down the street like Rambo?

I personally had two occasions to read Top Secret commendations for my father. My mother and I were permitted to read them and then they were sent wherever those things get sent to, and I've never seen hide nor hair of them since. I cannot even recall the specifics of what I read, but I do remember how I felt when I read them and the impact of what I was reading. Like a good little girl, I made myself forget the contents of those awards but I will never forget the frustration I went through when my fellow students in school would tout their fathers' good deeds and sing their praises and I knew what I knew but had to sit there with my mouth zipped shut. I would imagine those men and women involved in the OBL mission would feel a whole lot better if they didn't have that videotaped campaign hype intimating the terrible burden the president undertook when, in fact, they were the ones who had to dodge the bullets and can't talk about it.

So out of at least consideration for the participants in that mission, Obama should have just stuck to the usual brief commentary and reminder to thank those involved, blah, blah, blah, and then sat down. He would have looked a lot better if he'd done that.
  • mr kalada 2012/05/02 06:17:02
    What's the big deal anyway?
    mr kalada
    it was probably just a facade, i cant believe that navy seals crashed their black hawk at the time of 0 enemy resistance.

i dont know what the actual ground position is.
  • blah 2012/05/02 00:22:20
    Obama stuck his foot in it...
    blah
    +3
    O lickers, bite me!!
    Been saying it all day and will again...The Seals deserve the credit.

147 148
  • 4dc 2012/05/02 00:03:20
    4dc
    he made the decision...well done...but don't take it too far.
  • Captain-Morgan 2012/05/01 23:25:01
    Obama stuck his foot in it...
    Captain-Morgan
    +1
    AGREE 100% WHY BRING UP THIS DEATH OF UBL AND POLITICIZING IT.. GIVES UBL FOLLOWER POWER..
  • Nanjing03 2012/05/01 22:57:57 (edited)
    Obama stuck his foot in it...
    Nanjing03
    +4
    Any president would have given the go-ahead -- or as in this case, not have gotten in the way. With that said, it is rather sad that the president decided to use an operation that was already in the works from the early days of the Bush administration and try to turn it around to aid him in his weak and desperate re-election campaign. The real credit goes to the original planners, the overseas intel operatives both Americans and foreign nationals, the broad net of State and Defense Department support from within the CIA and the DOD, and of course the Navy SEALs and their support components from all branches of the armed forces -- military and civilian -- throughout Central Command. This was an American effort with Coalition support over a broad geographical area -- that spanned a decade in duration.

Maybe now David Axelrod will pick up on what I just wrote and try to save the president's butt.
  • joe ramirez 2012/05/01 22:57:24 (edited)
    joe ramirez
    +3
    He loves the limelight! If anyone should get the credit it should be 1. the seal team that put their lives on the line for accomplishing the mission. 2. President Bush who put everything in place so that he could be found and brought to justice! People complained about the money he was spending! He spent 4Trillion$$ in 8 years, and obama-nation has spent 6 Trillion $$ in less than 4 years! He is to self absorbed to get any credit! Any president would give the order that this president gave in this situation!
  • Hamilton 2012/05/01 20:52:20
    Hamilton
    +3
    The hypocrisy is mind blowing, but it is even more mind blowing that so few call him out on his hypocrisy.
  • Shirleywillow 2012/05/01 18:49:30
    Shirleywillow
    You and people like you are so full of hate for President Obama you can not give him an inch. He has given full credit to our brave seal team & knows full well that if things had gone wrong he would be risking their lives. He knows the seal team is the best of the best so that gave him the courage to go against his advisers & allow his seal team to do what they do best & it worked.
    Now all of a sudden Romney and his chorus states they could have done the same thing. Give me a break. By the time Romney figured out what he needed to focus on, Osama bin Laden would have escaped.
    Forward, Mr President. Do not look back!
    By the way, why is your print so tiny? I had to get a magnifying glass to read it.
  • Space I... Shirley... 2012/05/01 18:54:00
  • Shirley... Space I... 2012/05/01 19:05:51
    Shirleywillow
    Did you serve in the military?
  • Space I... Shirley... 2012/05/01 19:24:35
    Space Invader
    +3
    Ten-HUT!!!!
  • BackWoo... Shirley... 2012/05/01 20:36:35
    BackWoodsMike
    +3
    I did..

http://www.sodahead.com/user/...

Did you?

PS: As a Navy Veteran, I wouldn't vote for Obama if he was the only person on the ticket.
  • Space I... BackWoo... 2012/05/01 22:48:47
    Space Invader
    +3
    Ten-Hut; drafted 1970...
  • BackWoo... Space I... 2012/05/01 22:54:46
    BackWoodsMike
    +2
    Joined in 65..

Thank you for your Service Brother..
  • Shirley... BackWoo... 2012/05/03 21:56:39
    Shirleywillow
    +1
    Too young to be a Rosy the Riveter and to old to serve. Oh well, My husband served in WWII and I raised 4 daughters.
  • ohcomeon Space I... 2012/05/01 20:08:37
    ohcomeon
    +1
    When the last American troops left Vietnam, Obama was 14. Very cowardly, indeed.
  • Space I... ohcomeon 2012/05/01 22:49:27
    Space Invader
    +1
    so? not cowardly....picture was making a point..........
  • norman Space I... 2012/05/01 23:39:35
  • Space I... norman 2012/05/02 02:43:36 (edited)
    Space Invader
    funny ha ha ; not...why defend a man who is not what he appears...why do that; can you live with yourself when he turns out to be a fake? all these 4 years he's not been a legal resident of the WH?

And you trust that fake birth certificate that he keeps trotting around? What if he's allot older than he appears?

This summer the truth will come out about the Pretender...Brietbart made sure; no matter what happened to him; that all would be revealed.....
  • norman Space I... 2012/05/01 23:35:13
    norman
    That's just about the dumbest posting I've seen on SH in a while. You O-haters get more and more idiotic as the days go on.

Of course Obama has politicized his "triumph" (such as it is), he's a politician. They always try to take credit for any "successes" and avoid blame for any "failures."

This president is no different than any who came before him: I guess all of you O-haters' brains are too addled from hatred to remember little Georgie-boy's strut across the deck of the aircraft carrier in his flight suit with the "Mission Accomplished" sign behind him. And all of the "terrorist plots" his administration suddenly discovered and foiled every time one of their scandals erupted in the press but of course, they were never political.

You O-haters are a bunch of pathetic morons.

Btw, Obama was too young to serve in Vietnam - but Georgie-boy wasn't - oh yeh, I forgot, his daddy got him into the Texas National Guard (the favorite haven for all of those rich and connected snots who were desperate to avoid duty in Nam) ahead of several thousand other men waiting to get in. And he barely served then - being that he spent most of his time AWOL!

Grow up little boy.

P.S. My time was US Army 65-69 - and if you bother to check some facts (you do know what "facts" are, right?) you'll find that R...

Grow up little boy.

P.S. My time was US Army 65-69 - and if you bother to check some facts (you do know what "facts" are, right?) you'll find that Reagan (he's the slimy SOB who introduced "means testing" into the VA system), BushI and BushII all cut veterans programs and nearly every Congress - Dems and Repubs - since 1980 cut veterans programs as well.

In fact, the only president since that scummy Reagan who didn't cut VA funding was Bill Clinton.

You O-haters should try to get your tiny heads out of your oversized asses and learn something before you shoot off your mouths and expose yourselves as dimwits.
  • Nanjing03 norman 2012/05/01 23:54:53
    Nanjing03
    +2
    Can't let you get away with that one [N]orman. Department of Veterans Affairs received departmental status -- up from administration status during the Reagan/Bush administrations. Further, VA funding went up and VA only expanded. The means testing only meant that employed vets like myself who were not service connected could use our insurance policies (I had state employees Blue-Cross Blue-Shield) to help the VA offset their costs. I never paid a deductable except for $2 (currently only $5) per prescription. Meanwhile, under G.W. Bush, VA health care went from very good to "world class." I refuse to use any other health care provider and I gladly pay through insurance -- or accept excellent free care between policies. My wife is a disabled P&T veteran with seven years of service including the 91 Persian Gulf War and Bosnia and she is treated so well, that we wish everybody could get our care. Sorry to see a fellow vet be such a Bush hater, especially since the man had super-star satus among the troops, especially those of us down range. I guess LBJ did not fare so well with you guys.
  • BackWoo... Nanjing03 2012/05/02 00:49:56
    BackWoodsMike
    +2
    Thank you for your Service Brother, both in Military, and in law Enforcement.

thinblue
  • dasimon1 norman 2012/05/03 01:14:17
    dasimon1
    +1
    Well let me tell you how pathetic you are......In 2001 Osama BinLaden was already stricken with Marfan Syndrome. He was in a hospital fighting for his life. There is NO cure for this disease...so if you want to believe he was killed on May1 2011 you go right a head and kiss Obama's whimp ass........Bin Laden is said to have died 10 years ago! And i believe it...think of the evnts of 5/1/11 the body was gotten rid of imediately.No one saw pix,and where are the seals that did the mission.....DEAD!
  • BackWoo... Shirley... 2012/05/01 20:31:27
    BackWoodsMike
    +3
    Might I point out that those are the comments made by former and current Navy SEALS and Spec OPs personnel. Space invader only forwarded it.

What Obama did was give Admiral William McRaven, through Secretary Peneta a suggestion in a Memo that put Admiral McRaven in the position of decision maker.

Now don't get me wrong, CinC has the last word on a mission as important as that one, but as these brave men who were interviewed stated, any president, with the solid information that was given, would have given the go.

As far as Romney not doing it.. I'm sorry that you are brainwashed by the Obama propaganda team in believing that crap. Obama either doesn't have the courage in telling the truth about what Romney really said, or he is just being his good old dishonest self. It's probably a combination of both.

- - - -

Obama ad says Mitt Romney's view on killing bin Laden was 'it's not worth moving heaven and earth'

“An Obama campaign ad suggested Mitt Romney wouldn’t have agressively pursued Osama bin Laden by citing Romney's statement that, "It's not worth moving heaven and earth and spending billions of dollars just trying to catch one person."

The Obama campaign is right that Romney used those words, but by cherry-picking them, it glosses over comments describing his broader approach....

- - - -

The Obama campaign is right that Romney used those words, but by cherry-picking them, it glosses over comments describing his broader approach. Romney said he wanted to pursue all of al-Qaida, not just its leaders.
    The reporter quoting him in April 2007 said he instead "endorsed a broader strategy to defeat the Islamic jihad movement." And he said just over a week later that he would "get Osama bin Laden and track him wherever he has to go, and make sure he pays for the outrage he exacted upon America … he is going to pay, and he will die."”
    http://www.politifact.com/tru...
  • Space I... BackWoo... 2012/05/01 22:50:04
    Space Invader
    +4
    good shot across the bow BackWoods!!
  • norman BackWoo... 2012/05/02 00:02:08
  • BackWoo... norman 2012/05/02 00:13:03
    BackWoodsMike
    +2
    Well, I'm so glad you could get that all out...

Feel better now?
  • Space I... norman 2012/05/02 02:45:09
    Space Invader
    you really dislike the Military as much as Obama ; don't you?
  • Space I... norman 2012/05/02 02:47:34
    Space Invader
    +1
    No wonder you are so angry; you have no base core belief system...an atheist never does..they trust they are here by a big bang; or your ancestors crawled out of the primordial ooze and you evolved from a monkey or a lizard or something.......it must be sad; not having faith in anything except yourself...
  • Nanjing03 BackWoo... 2012/05/05 16:11:16
    Nanjing03
    +1
    Well said BW. Osama bin Laden was being hunted and even tracked since 2001 -- even since 1994 during the Clinton administration. While he was a priority target, he was not the only target. When I was in western Iraq as far back as 2006 and 2007, U.S. /Multi-National Forces and special operatives -- including Iraqi military operatives -- where taking out al-Qaeda agents and top leaders by the bushel load. That is not including rank and file suicide bombers, assassins and other misguided "local talent," most of which had stood down or later joined the Coalition against al-Qaeda. At that time, more top al-Qaeda personnel were killed or captured there -- in Iraq -- than even in Afghanistan and the rest of the world combined. If there is any one campaign that decimated al-Qaeda and finished them as a viable force in the immediate Arabian peninsula/Persian Gulf region, it was the Iraq War prior to and during the 2007-2008 Surge. Meanwhile, there will still be the ever shrinking circle of conspiracy thinkers from the old “Grassy Knoll Club” who will find lies and plots behind every memo and every garbled phone conversation. Just gotta let ‘em fly into their own mountain. Thanks for the rave and response brother.
  • pamela 2012/05/01 18:33:41 (edited)
    They'll be Hell to pay..
    pamela
    +1
    Oh yeah. Obama just doesn't realize how far he is sinking himself. Go ahead let Obama continue with his campaign, and doing it in every way except say what he will continue to do for America. Really we all know what he will do to America, and continue us on the road to Socialism. As long as Romney keeps his mind focused on the months ahead to the Nov. vote and only along the guidelines on letting us know what he will do as president, and not attack the opposition, like they are doing to every republican candidate, then Romney will make his mark and win this election by a landslide. Romney has his special team to help guide him on every aspect of everything he needs to know about all topics within running for the presidency, and sticking to what can be done to better job growth, the economy constitutionally , compared to the idiot in charge we have now. Romney is not a user or abuser like Obama is. Obama will say everything and anything he will to try and win over new voters, because we older voters already hate all he has done to constitutionally rip America apart. The liberals continue to look through these because they worship a dumbass. rose colored glasses
  • norman pamela 2012/05/02 00:09:55
  • pamela norman 2012/05/05 21:36:50
  • JessyBear 2012/05/01 16:59:16
    JessyBear
    +3
    Everything Obama does is a calculated risk to win re-election. The day after he won the election he was back campaigning. There are two things going on here. One Obama is working behind the curtain to destroy American and two he only cares about re-election so he can continue his real agenda.
  • OPOA912 2012/05/01 14:02:36 (edited)
    Obama stuck his foot in it...
    OPOA912
    +3
    That's it?? That's all he has to show for 4 years?????? Big deal. Anyone would have taken out this guy. Let's see failed economy, failed leadership, failed healthcare plan, failed immigration, HOWEVER; succeeded in golf games, vacations, dividing the Country, OH, and yes he gave the order to kill OBL. What a bunch of crap that 40% of America thinks he's still doing a great job.

2014/04/21 04:50:09