Monday Night Football Theme yanked after Hank Jr. Compares Obama to Hitler. Should Espn have pulled the song?

Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru 2011/10/04 13:01:16

Hank Williams Jr., the singer whose various videos for the hit song "All My Rowdy Friends Are Coming Over Monday Night" has served as the intro to "Monday Night Football" for 23 seasons, compared President Barack Obama to Adolf Hitler during a Monday morning appearance on "Fox and Friends." The statement led to ESPN pulling his popular intro segment, best known to fans for its "Are you ready for some football?" ending, for Monday night's game.

Read More: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/p...

• Telly Samba 2011/10/04 13:12:09
    Yes, they should have pulled it
    Telly Samba
    +12
    Regardless of the comparison Hank Jr. made a fool out of himself in that interview. He was semi-coherent, at best, and he was representing ESPN at the time. If any of my employees ever made such an ass of themselves while representing my company I would immediately sever all ties with them. Any rational person would.

• getu 2011/10/11 23:47:05
    I need to whine about your answer choices.
    getu
    +1
    It's not a "should have/shouldn't have" issue. If they don't like how he follows or doesn't follow their corporate image, it's time to part ways.

As to the remark he made, it was clumsy and unthinking. There actually are two real comparison points of these two men. Hitler was one of the biggest racists in Europe; Obama is one of the most racist presidents we've had in the White House... Hitler hated Jews; Obama hates whites... Both of them have ancestors from the races they hate(d).
  • kenan01 2011/10/11 18:14:55
    No they shouldn't have
    kenan01
    +1
    Who will they come for next, and who will stand up for you and your rights?
    Hank Williams Jr. was censored for making a comparison between Obama and Hitler, even though anyone with half a brain would know that what he said did not compare or imply that Obama was like Hitler. It's called a comparative analogy, the comparison of scenarios, not people. Idiots at ESSPN should go back to school and learn before they censor.

America is heading down the toilet if you support this kind of witch hunt by the likes of ESSPN.
    Vote with your choice of viewing, Boycot them. Watch anything else but ESSPN.

They could come for you next. Stand up for free speech!

ESSPN  Hitler  Nazis  free speech  Obama  Chickens
  • Paradox25 2011/10/08 01:56:43
    Paradox25
    Bring back Rush as a sportcaster, he can comment on Monday Night Football this time, what a brainstorm! I'm sure Hank would be happy then!
  • ☆stillthe12c☆ 2011/10/06 22:08:02
    No they shouldn't have
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +1
    I think they should have given a few days off and a reprimand. I think firing him was a little harsh. But in the end it more than likely does not hurt him.
  • mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2011/10/06 16:39:22
    No they shouldn't have
    mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    This tells me any advertizer can sway the media to sau what they want them to Are you sure thats ok> Im not sure. Ithought channels were not supposed to choose sides like that. I dont see this as a freedom of speech thing I see it as that station and will not even pay attention to it any longer. I hear too much about tv channels and readio stations being bought ---now this. WHICH ONE IS IT ? SHOULD THE CHANNELS BE ALLOWED TO BE BOUGHT LIKE THIS?
  • Assassi... mg's ha... 2011/10/16 13:04:52
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +1
    Of course they can and are. If a channel losing their advertisers they will go under. Its like saying you shouldn't do things you don't want to because its not right to be bought, when referring to your boss or your paycheck. They have to get paid.
    No they shouldn't have
    +1
    Hank williams on Monday night is more a culture Icon than Obama!
  • sylviaplatt 2011/10/06 03:27:41
    sylviaplatt
    +1
    Famous people put their feet in their mouths evertime they discuss politics. Unless they actually think they are qualified to do a better job they shouldn't discuss individual politicians!
  • Q 2011/10/06 00:04:15
    Yes, they should have pulled it
    Q
    +3
    Yes there are repercussions for being an ignorant hate monger on national TV, he pissed off a sizable share of Monday Night Football's audience so ESPN acted accordingly to protect their image and revenue stream.
  • CAROLYN NTARWNJBS 2011/10/06 00:03:40
    Yes, they should have pulled it
    CAROLYN NTARWNJBS
    +4
    Freedom of speech can be pretty pricey for some people.They have every right to throw him out on his ass.
  • William 2011/10/05 23:54:26
    Yes, they should have pulled it
    William
    +2
    It's their network. Laissez faire.
  • foxhound BN0 2011/10/05 23:37:43
    Yes, they should have pulled it
    foxhound BN0
    +7
    It's up to them. I'm glad they did. I love Hank's music but he sounded like a nut on that interview. Sort of Beckish. Glenn Beckish.
    hank williams jr glenn beck glenn beck
  • scbluesman13 2011/10/05 22:00:45
    Yes, they should have pulled it
    scbluesman13
    +10
    Private companies you work for are not republics or democratic organizations. They're just that... private companies. If you publicly make comments while representing your company - and your management does not agree with what you've said, then they have every right to fire you, or otherwise sever all ties with you. It's not about the constitution or free speech. It's about private companies acting in their own best interests. Boo hoo for Mr. Williams... He acted like a di**head and got fired for it. Move on.
  • DOCTOR JOE 2011/10/05 21:53:47
    Yes, they should have pulled it
    DOCTOR JOE
    +4
    I never got what was so good about him and that dam song . THE red hot chillis, KILlers, MuSe and many more would do a great job. Hank jr it's time to do something on your own like get a life you hairy animal
  • abycinnamon BN-1 2011/10/05 19:02:58
    Yes, they should have pulled it
    abycinnamon BN-1
    +4
    It's nice to see that even the fox people can be overwhelmed with hate and insanity, and there is a bottom to how far they will go. It is also nice to see standards, and consequences for horrendous behavior including speech.
  • AL 2011/10/05 09:21:44
    No they shouldn't have
    AL
    +1
    He never compared Oblamer to Hitler in the first place! He was using the example of Hilter playing Golf with a Jewish leader instead-to focus on the golf game the speaker of the House had with Oblamer in fact
  • Ramon 2011/10/05 05:32:22
    Yes, they should have pulled it
    Ramon
    +3
    I probably would've too, even though I'm not an Obama supporter. That goes to show that any entertainer should stick to what they're good at and stay out of politics. Like Jeaneane Garafalo saying that Republicans are racist for liking Herman Cain.
  • ThorsSmith 2011/10/05 03:49:05
    ThorsSmith
    +1
    The idea that you pull a song because the singer is an old cranky dude who says stupid stuff is retarded. If they were worried about image maybe they should have listened to one of hank jr's albums, enough there to offend plenty of people.
  • Sir Bud. 2011/10/05 01:01:38
    Yes, they should have pulled it
    Sir Bud.
    +7
    Shows he is ignorant and hasn't got a rats ass clue about Hitler's Nazism.
  • Jeremiah 2011/10/04 23:47:12
    Yes, they should have pulled it
    Jeremiah
    +7
    They definitely should have pulled it, and I hope the suspension is permanent. I get tired of worn-out has beens or never wases like Williams and Ted Nugent saying idiotic things on Fox. When was Williams' last song of any consequence?
  • gladdays 2011/10/04 23:43:51
    Yes, they should have pulled it
    gladdays
    +5
    THey made the right decision to PULL it FOREVER.. Standards need to be set..The tea party will take Hank to the TOP of the Charts NOW..But, keep his ready for football song OFF TV.
  • DiViews2014 2011/10/04 23:34:07
    Yes, they should have pulled it
    DiViews2014
    +4
    He gives country a bad name. Entertainment wise, nobody would even know who he was if it had not been for his father the real singer in the family.
  • Zolfie™ 2011/10/04 23:29:04
    Zolfie™
    +2
    I didn't know how to answer this. (I probably should of said no to it... anyways too late now). But honestly i didn't hear about Hank's comments until this happen... so really their actions to pull him just made the words spread more. So maybe it would of been better letting him stay on until they had something good to replace it?

Also it's Hank Williams Jr. ... right or wrong he's gonna have an opinion and ESPN should of known that before getting him to do it in the first place. And yes others have been punished for such things (such as the dixie chicks) but just because it happened before doesn't mean it was right in the times before...

Personally both Hank and the Dixie Chicks have their opinions... but those opinions aren't gonna change my opinion on weather I like their music or not... and I'm not a fan of ether getting punish musically for expressing their opinion.... though I understand their is also the other side of it... which what they stand for blah blah blah... but I think both have played some very good music.
  • Brenda 2011/10/04 21:42:09
    No they shouldn't have
    Brenda
    +1
    The lamestream is miscontruing the actual contents of that interview. And as usual, they try to make the conservative side appear to be attacking. Hank Jr. spoke his honest opinion and he is an American. That is his right. I watched the interview live and although maybe I did not agree with Hank Jr's analogy, Fox & Friends asked him the questions and he answered them with his opinions. I blame the liberals and the lamestream media for forcing ESPN/ABC/Disney to pull Hank Jr's opener. It was not without bashlash because many many were angry that they did. I made my choice about ESPN and it is my right. I will not watch ESPN until they correct this and apologize for disappointing the majority (and yes, it is the majority) for doing this. Also I feel that Hank Jr deserves an apology from ESPN. Hank Jr does not need ESPN, but Monday Night Football needs Hank Jr!
  • Zolfie™ Brenda 2011/10/04 23:40:13
    Zolfie™
    First realize I'm not talking or taking political sides.

Ummm football doesn't need a signer... it just doesn't.... though I really like Hanks intro into it.

I'm not sure but I'm guessing Hank could care less about an apology and probably doesn't want one. (mainly because the apology would be BS... and Hank doesn't like BS (at least of the fake apology type)

"lamestream media" is seriously the lamest catch phase out there (at least that I know of) ... why not just say the media (which would fit since your talking about the mainstream media?

as for what Hank did or didn't say... I could care less... he has an opinion... he expressed it... no big deal...

also no clue where major stance... my guess is they don't care at all... as long as they have a good intro in the future.
  • Brian ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮ 2011/10/04 20:02:52
    No they shouldn't have
    Brian ☮ R P ☮ 2012 ☮
    +1
    This is my own personal opinion, as I have no association with ESPN whatsoever. But, it is also my opinion, that any company in America should be free to cultivate whatever image they so desire, by employing whoever they desire to help cultivate that image.

The fact that ESPN chose to distance themselves, from remarks made by the guy who sings the theme from one of their shows, is perfectly within their right, but really makes them look like a bunch of PC nutbags.
  • Rogue_L... Brian ☮... 2011/10/04 21:22:13
  • Liberaltarian 2011/10/04 19:56:25
    Yes, they should have pulled it
    Liberaltarian
    +5
    It's business. He's free to say what he wants, but if he poorly represents a company with whom he has a contract, that company has every right to break ties. If I were ESPN, I wouldn't want to be associated with an incoherent, babbling musician who makes an arse of himself on television.(even though that song was cool.)
  • Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of ... 2011/10/04 17:40:48
    No they shouldn't have
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +2
    They shouldn't have, but they did and that is life. He has the right to say what he wants and they have the right to not like it. Lets go down the line of people who were pillaged for their opinion....... dixie chicks
    For speaking against Bush

nappy headed ho

For the nappy headed ho comment

ludacris

Fired from Pepsi endorsment after, Bill O'reilly critize his music

http://www.mtgnews.com/attach...
    For ripping a picture of the pope...was fired from her label and wasn't hired ever again, after angering catholics
  • Latti I... Latti I... 2011/10/04 17:44:00
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +1
    They shouldn't have, but they did and that is life. He has the right to say what he wants and they have the right to not like it. Lets go down the line of people who were pillaged for their opinion.......
  • Sir Bud. Latti I... 2011/10/05 00:58:01
    Sir Bud.
    +3
    This is life too though;
    Slander;the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person’s reputation:
    Libel:a published false statement that is damaging to a person’s reputation; a written defamation:
  • Darnel 2011/10/04 17:32:25
    Darnel
    1. Neither here nor there - both HWJ and ESPN were exercising their rights.
    2. The right needs to get off the "enemy" Kick. We are all the same country and at worst all concerned should be see as political opponents.
    An "enemy" is someone who means you harm. Obama by no stretch wants to "hurt" Boehner. It's also hypocritical to call him "the enemy" yet whine about his general statement of who he (Obama) considers an enemy, (In a speech he outlined behavioer and beliefs that he considered bad/wrong that too many conservatives took personally even though they didn't qualify.)

TSK.
  • Assassi... Darnel 2011/10/04 17:57:33
    Assassin~ Badass Buzz Guru
    +4
    So you have no opinion. Well good, but why bother to post if you have no opinion?
  • Darnel Assassi... 2011/10/04 18:25:14
    Darnel
    ???
    I had an opinion.
    1. Pulling the song in response to his comments is a non-issue.
    2. Using the term "enemy" and comparing a political party to "hitler" is stupid.

........ I just said it better than that.
  • Liza Jane 2011/10/04 17:25:17
    Yes, they should have pulled it
    Liza Jane
    +5
    Why not? They're a private enterprise and can do what they like.

Hank has the freedom to say what he likes and ESPN has the right to no longer associate with him.
  • Chuck 2011/10/04 16:57:43
    No they shouldn't have
    Chuck
    +2
    He said enemies shouldn't play golf together and used Hitler in the analogy. What is wrong with all you oversensitive babies?
  • Pet Rock Whisperer 2011/10/04 16:45:56
    Yes, they should have pulled it
    Pet Rock Whisperer
    +4
    He made an a** of himself so ESPN has the right to distance themselves from him if they want.
    How about those Lions? Two weeks in a row coming back from at least 20 pts down to win! That was great how they shoved it up the Cowboy's a** and broke it off!

Go Lions!
    lions nfl
  • Latti I... Pet Roc... 2011/10/05 03:33:29
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +1
    the lions suck the lions suck the lions suck the lions suck

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Ramon Latti I... 2011/10/05 05:35:44
    Ramon
    +2
    Detroit blows....that's hilarious!
  • Pet Roc... Latti I... 2011/10/05 17:35:18
    Pet Rock Whisperer
    +1
    Wasn't long ago they did blow. But there's no denying they have made the biggest and most spectacular turnaround in NFL history and they are now certainly a force to be reckoned with!

So your comment shows you are either uninformed, very jealous or both.

2014/04/16 07:26:28