Making the dumbing-down of America complete? EEOC: High school diploma requirement might violate Americans with Disabilities Act

BlueMax372 2012/01/01 22:57:36

Employers are facing more uncertainty in the wake of a letter from the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission warning them that requiring a high school diploma from a job applicant might violate the Americans with Disabilities Act.

The development also has some wondering if the agency’s advice will result in an educational backlash by creating less of an incentive for some high-school students to graduate.

The “informal discussion letter” from the EEOC said an employer’s requirement of a high school diploma, long a standard criteria for screening potential employees, must be “job-related for the position in question and consistent with business necessity.” The letter was posted on thecommission’s website on Dec. 2.

Employers could run afoul of the ADA if their requirement of a high school diploma ” ‘screens out’ an individual who is unable to graduate because of a learning disability that meets the ADA’s definition of ‘disability,’ ” theEEOC explained.

The commission’s advice, which does not carry the force of law, is raising alarms among employment-law experts who say it could carry far-reaching implications for businesses.

Read More: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jan/1/eeo...

+10
    WHAT THE? Seriously?
    OH, good grief ..
    Guess now .. laziness is a /disability/?

And before anyone says anything ..
    I'm Service Connect Disabled Military .. now also Visually Impaired ..
    I raised MY Children (who have known disabilities .. including one child who is a High Functioning Autistic -- Asperger's Syndrome) ..
    EACH child .. completed .. with HIGH HONORS .. the High School Curricula and requirements for Diploma ..
    EACH child .. was dual enrolled in Collegiate High Too ..
    NO MATTER what legitimate disability .. CHILDREN who work hard will earn that Diploma .. (and there's alternatives for those who find it difficult ... not a standard diploma .. but it shows a training program and yes, helps transition into independent living too with JOBS .. )

Ay, yi, yi ..

TIME to stop the NONSENSE .. just tell these IDIOTS in Government .. NO MORE!

• Katherine 2012/02/01 03:50:10
    Katherine
    +1
    If you aren't qualified, you aren't qualified. It's their business!
  • Peewee ~PWCM~JLA 2012/01/13 14:10:23
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    I cannot hire a quadrapeligic to help bale hay, am I violating the ADA by not hiring one?
  • BlueMax372 Peewee ... 2012/01/13 14:11:38
    BlueMax372
    +1
    Probably.
  • STU~PWCM~JLA~POTL~AFCL 2012/01/13 10:46:47
    STU~PWCM~JLA~POTL~AFCL
    +3
    I don't think the EEOC's discussion letter makes alot of sense. While of course it may be true in some cases that a particular person might be well suited for a particular job without a certain credential (say, due to abnormally high IQ or knowledge), if it's true that people in general need this credential to competent, the hiring process becomes a nightmare, because the employer has to perform much of the vetting provided by the institution granting the credential. In order for the hiring process to be efficient, the field has to be narrowed before interviews begin.
  • BlueMax372 STU~PWC... 2012/01/13 14:01:21
    BlueMax372
    +2
    Precisely!
  • STU~PWC... BlueMax372 2012/07/11 14:15:14
  • RastaFan 2012/01/03 08:27:22
    RastaFan
    +2
    Another motivational force stripped from youth.

Even if the potential violation at this point seems restricted to disabled students, there is NO doubt in my mind that restriction will be revised incrementally to eventually include approx 51% of students.
  • beachbum 2012/01/02 23:27:56
    beachbum
    +4
    Good grief..............
  • Walt 2012/01/02 18:40:35
    Walt
    +5
    It appears that liberals want us to be a degraded non-society with people running around in loincloths, living in lean-tos, unable to manufacture anything of value.

We don't manufacture much of value to the world these days, but the ability is still there. Liberals want to make sure the know-how is gone along with our productivity.
  • Wolfman 2012/01/02 16:10:43
    Wolfman
    +2
    Sheeeeeeeeez!
  • Marty9957 2012/01/02 07:56:35
    Marty9957
    +3
    It is time to forget the whole PC thing and get back to some Common Sense.
  • WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA 2012/01/02 07:21:39
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Makes no sense, but why should I expect it to make sense?
  • Ramon 2012/01/02 05:52:00
    Ramon
    +4
    Yeah...they shouldn't require a doctor to graduate from medical school or a lawyer to finish law school either because you can't discriminate against the learning disabled. How dumb!
  • Rabbit 2012/01/02 03:20:11
    Rabbit
    +4
    More recruitment by the Left, because only a dumbarss would believe what they're selling.
  • TruBluTopaz 2012/01/02 02:07:41
    TruBluTopaz
    +3
    The Americans With Disabilities Act has created so much unnecessary spending that it is not funny. If you look at our public schools, many of them provide what amounts to nursing home level care in public schools because districts are so fearful of the ADA being used to extort millions in aid. If you don't believe me, go to your nearest public school. Ask how many special education students are in self contained classrooms. There are severely disabled and emotionally disturbed students plunged into public schools with the expectation that somehow schools will be able to educate these students.
  • reasontolive 2012/01/02 01:15:25
    reasontolive
    +4
    My son was in Early Childhood Intervention and Special Education classes from 3 years old until he was 21. He is mentally impaired and in a wheelchair. He received a diploma when he finished school. This would in no way eliminate or discriminate against him. I realize schools are different from state to state, but in Texas, that is not an issue.
  • Demonic Rat Hunter 2012/01/02 00:59:08
    Demonic Rat Hunter
    +6
    WTF !

Can you see it now. Help wanted ad for Banker, Accountant, MD, Nurse
    Applicant - Eyes can't read, rite, or whats that thing you do with numbers but eyes gonna sue youse if you don't hire me. I be disabled because no one gifts me brains and drive.
    +6
    screaming

Stop the world, I think I need to get off
    +6
    these idiots will not quit until they have destroyed America.
  • BlueMax372 Ken 2012/01/01 23:58:38
    BlueMax372
    +7
    That's the ultimate agenda of the 0v0mit administration.
  • Cliff 2012/01/01 23:37:51
    Cliff
    +5
    Not having a high school diploma from a government run school could be interpreted as a possible sign of higher intelligence.
  • Freedom4 2012/01/01 23:30:51
    Freedom4
    +4
    Yet another way the democrats are attacking businesses. Personally, I think that not even having a free hs diploma shows an inability to take any ownership for personal responsibility and an inability to follOw through on even the most basic tasks. What business is it of the government to tell me I am wrong and who I need to hire.
  • Striker 2012/01/01 23:29:43
    Striker
    +7
    The more words they write in D.C., the more insane that place becomes.
  • BlueMax372 Striker 2012/01/01 23:59:24
    BlueMax372
    +4
    Time to declare it a nuclear test zone?
  • Striker BlueMax372 2012/01/02 00:17:30
    Striker
    +4
    that's fine with me! test, baby, test!
  • cynsity 2012/01/01 23:04:58
    cynsity
    +6
    I don't see the problem I tell my students all the time that stupid is a disability and one you can choose to have or not. But if you are going to be disabled by stupid then be 100% and no getting driver licenses, no buy adult beverages, no owning anything.... the villiage idiot doesn't get the same socital privileges as everyone else because they are stupid. And as it goes with anyone who claimes a disability you have to tell everyone what your disability is so... get those signs outs
  • Turings... cynsity 2012/01/01 23:16:39
    TuringsChild
    +5
    Then maybe we can put a stop to stupidity in electoral voting too!
  • Striker Turings... 2012/01/01 23:23:47
    Striker
    +6
    To do that, the candidates must be banned from entry!
  • cynsity Turings... 2012/01/02 05:39:09
    cynsity
    +2
    wish...
  • Israel cynsity 2012/01/01 23:25:46
  • cynsity Israel 2012/01/02 05:38:35
    cynsity
    +2
    Never said it did if you had READ my statement I said stupid is a disability as in it makes life harder. i teach i even teach students with massive IEPs ones who take so many meds tehy are more stoned then not, but learning disabilites can not be limited to the classroom, if you are to incapable of learning to read, write and do basic math then you do not need to have any of societies privileges like driving.
    Learning disabilies are not anywhere equal to physical ones or even mental ones, many many students who are willing to put in an effort will garner the teachers attentiona nd be successful in the classroom the problem is taht society wants everyone to have a pass and to feel good about themselves and that doesn't do anyone especailly teh student any good.
    I not only made it through HS with a learning problem I also managed to master 3 military specilities nad obtain a BA and an MA with a3.89 GPA.... It took will It took struggle and it took no one giving me a pass....IQ has nothing to do with it you can be a gifted studet and still not do well in school... maybe if you taught in one you would know that
  • Israel cynsity 2012/01/02 12:00:17
  • cynsity Israel 2012/01/02 19:25:05
    cynsity
    +1
    There is no such thing as "mainstream" teaching. every teacher teaches different, every teacher has a different philosophy about learning, every teacher uses all methods (tactile, audio,visual, physical) when presenting material, every student with problems can get a IEP which mandates how that student will be accomidated...
    Again its up to the student, a teacher and the education process alone will not create a successful student. AND the family has to work as well, if a parent won't even show up to a meeting or return a call then teh teacher can do nothing.
    This notion that students shouldn't have to finish HS is just another attempt to make people dependant. There is no excuse for not getting a HS degree not with so many ways to now complete HS. Students do not have to go to traditional schools tehy can go to charter schools (like where I work) tehy can go online, they can do it through coraspondence course and they can study and get a GED.
    Its bad enough HS degrees are basicly worthless as is but to say they are not to be required is beyond studpid police its dangerous. especially because society is paying teh bills. There is no way you can justify paying someone $9 an hour to filp burgers when teh kid can't even read teh menu himslef.
  • Israel cynsity 2012/01/03 17:06:43
  • cynsity Israel 2012/01/03 18:00:37
    cynsity
    well we're not even talking about england, and stand cirriculum is NOT the same as standarised teaching or enducation.
    Every student has to have math, reading, language arts, history/government Pysical ed and electives... but students have choices they can take classical lit or tehy can take mod lit, they can take algerbra or accounting they can take current events or american hist... and they can take most of those from several different teachers so again they can find tew method that suits.
    This is an issue for AMERICAN schools and as an American educator all I can say is its too bad your system is so far behind.
  • Israel cynsity 2012/01/03 18:57:53
  • Peewee ... Israel 2012/01/13 14:13:17
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Effort matters...I would hire you.
  • Israel Peewee ... 2012/01/13 15:18:46
  • Peewee ... Israel 2012/01/13 15:24:33
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    I am dyslexic too.
  • Israel Peewee ... 2012/01/13 15:30:23

2014/04/17 09:30:51