Liberty vs. Security

bags 2011/04/13 19:58:46
Related Topics: Liberty, Security
Does anyone remember this Benjamin Franklin quote: “They who can give up
essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither
liberty nor safety”.

What does this mean to you? How does, or should, it apply to us as people and as a nation?

• reasontolive 2011/04/13 20:12:07
    reasontolive
    +5
    It means we should not change the rules in times of war or a threat to the country, ie putting the Japanese in internment camps, taking away the need for a search warrant in some instances as allowed by the Patriot Act., etc.

• foxhound BN0 2011/04/25 15:04:02
    foxhound BN0
    +1
    It means demand your rights and the rights of others and don't support stupid things like the patriot act.
  • Boulder Sue 2011/04/14 18:42:26
    Boulder Sue
    +1
    Old Ben was a smart guy with a lot of foresight. He knew human nature very well. Take his word, for it He also said, when leaving the Constitution agreement to a womenstanding outside who asked what kind of government they would have, "A Republic, madam, if you can keep it".I want warrants before arrest, reasonable cause as detemined by an impartial judge, habeas corpus, right to a speedy trial before my peers, the right to an attorney, the 5th Amendment, NO torture in any form or forced confessions, the right to get on an air plane without the assumption that I must be a criminal (which to me amounts to having to prove your innnocence, rather that a court proving you guilty, or even being arrested without reasonabl grounds and/or a warrant) and therefore "cleared" first. It meanns legitimate police profiling as you would for a serial killer, not based on ethnic background (that happened in a way to my Father-losing out on a Federal Judge because he had a great uncle, who, unknown to us was a real, card carrying communist labor organizer, though he never caused any trouble or came close to converting his steel mill, let alone the city of Gary, Indiana into a communist outpost. He was never even arrested, but the FBI didn't want any of his relatives in the government. The fact ...
    Old Ben was a smart guy with a lot of foresight. He knew human nature very well. Take his word, for it He also said, when leaving the Constitution agreement to a womenstanding outside who asked what kind of government they would have, "A Republic, madam, if you can keep it".I want warrants before arrest, reasonable cause as detemined by an impartial judge, habeas corpus, right to a speedy trial before my peers, the right to an attorney, the 5th Amendment, NO torture in any form or forced confessions, the right to get on an air plane without the assumption that I must be a criminal (which to me amounts to having to prove your innnocence, rather that a court proving you guilty, or even being arrested without reasonabl grounds and/or a warrant) and therefore "cleared" first. It meanns legitimate police profiling as you would for a serial killer, not based on ethnic background (that happened in a way to my Father-losing out on a Federal Judge because he had a great uncle, who, unknown to us was a real, card carrying communist labor organizer, though he never caused any trouble or came close to converting his steel mill, let alone the city of Gary, Indiana into a communist outpost. He was never even arrested, but the FBI didn't want any of his relatives in the government. The fact that they also turned up a great uncle who fought with the White Russians against the Reds and was forced to come to this country as a refugee or die, made no difference to my Father's job chances..Bad profiling!)
    +1
    those that rely .. desire an intrusive Governmental Presence in one's life (from cradle to grave) .. are those that are enslaved to the Government .. the system .. and have totally GIVEN UP their Freedoms .. their rights ...

I'll take Freedom .. the ability to choose .. anyday ..
  • Captain Sticky 2011/04/13 21:44:42
    Captain Sticky
    +3
    Russia is a good example. While under the Soviet regime, Russia was a very safe place with little crime. Now it's entirely different.
    I'll take freedom over security every time.
  • OneOpinion 2011/04/13 20:42:47
    OneOpinion
    +2
    To me it simply means that without freedom I have no liberty.
  • reasontolive 2011/04/13 20:12:07
    reasontolive
    +5
  • bags reasont... 2011/04/13 20:23:29
    bags
    +2
    Interesting. Thanks for responding, reasontolive.
  • foxhoun... reasont... 2011/04/25 15:04:34
    foxhound BN0
    +2
    I totally agree.
  • Rakohammas 2011/04/13 20:00:03 (edited)
    Rakohammas
    +4
    I love that quote....I relate it always with the coup of 2009 in Honduras, my country
  • bags Rakohammas 2011/04/13 20:10:47
    bags
    +3
    I can understand. This must have deep meaning for you.
  • Rakohammas bags 2011/04/13 21:24:12
    Rakohammas
    +2
    it does

2014/04/19 01:53:47