If Texas succeeded from the Union...Would you move to Texas?

EagleEye 2009/04/17 03:01:37
Quicker than a Horse with burr up his keester!
Hell no!
AUSTIN, Texas – In a state that once was its own nation, a Republican governor who talked about secession without completely dismissing the idea has Democratic lawmakers in an uproar. Gov. Rick Perry, in comments following an anti-tax "tea party" Wednesday, never did advocate Texas breaking away from the United States but suggested that Texans might at some point get so fed up they would want to leave the union.

That was enough to feed opinions for and against secession on Web sites, cable TV and talk radio across the nation.

At the Texas Capitol on Thursday, Rep. Jim Dunnam of Waco, joined by several fellow Texas House Democrats, said some people associate talk of secession with racial division and the Civil War and that Perry should disavow any notion of seceding.

"Talk of secession is an attack on our country. It can be nothing else. It is the ultimate anti-American statement," Dunnam said at a news conference.

State Sen. Rodney Ellis, a Houston Democrat, said that by not rejecting the possibility of secession out of hand, Perry "is taking a step down a very dangerous and divisive path encouraged by the fringe of Texas politics."

The Democrats are proposing a House resolution expressing "complete and total disagreement with any fringe element advocating the 'secession' of Texas or any other state from our one and indivisible Union."

Perry emphasized Thursday that he is not advocating secession but understands why Americans may have those feelings because of frustration with Washington, D.C. He said it's fine to express the thought. He offered no apology and did not back away from his earlier comments.

Perry's remarks Wednesday were in response to a question from The Associated Press as he walked away from the Austin rally, where some in the audience had shouted "Secede!" during his speech. The governor said he didn't think Texas should secede despite some chatter about it on the Internet and his name being associated with the idea.

"We've got a great union. There's absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, you know, who knows what might come out of that. But Texas is a very unique place, and we're a pretty independent lot to boot," Perry said Wednesday.

A day later, Perry said he found the fascination with the remark interesting.

"I refer people back to my statement and I got a charge out of it," he said. "I was kind of thinking that maybe the same people that hadn't been reading the Constitution right were reading that article and they got the wrong impression about what I said. Clearly I stated that we have a great union. Texas is part of a great union. And I see no reason for that to change."

Texas was a republic from 1836, when it declared independence from Mexico, to 1845, when it became a U.S. state.

Perry has been speaking out against the federal government lately over federal economic stimulus spending. He's also in a tough race for re-election against a fellow Republican, U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, whom he is trying to portray as a Washington insider.

Perry spokeswoman Allison Castle criticized Dunnam, saying he was "trying to distract from the fact that yesterday thousands of Texans, including many in his own district, expressed their extreme displeasure at Washington's rampant taxation, big spending and bloated government."

Dunnam suggested Perry is positioning himself for his political future.

"We all knew he wanted to be president. I just didn't know it was president of the Republic of Texas," he said to chuckles from onlookers.

• KevinHip 2013/10/03 21:42:47
    KevinHip
    Both of us plus at least one of my daughters would be there in a heart beat. I'm done with all the fighting with leftist that are destroying MY country. Obama said he loves this country but wants to "fundamentally change it". If you told your wife or husband you loved them but wanted to fundamentally change them I don't think they would believe it either. Just give us Tx, Ark Ok. The other option might be to have another civil war which in someways we are having now.
  • Dead Mariner 2012/11/24 21:24:03
    Hell no!
    Dead Mariner
    What a bunch of complete idjits. Too blind to think for themselves, they need a "man of God" to think for them. News flash idjits, the magic underwear didn't work. If God has a will, he didn't want Robme for prez. Neither does anyone with an I.Q bigger than their shoe size. Keep reading, and believing those chain emails since y'all don't have enough sense to do 2 minutes of research. Really I hope the idjits get what they want. Then we should send all the prisoners there, pedo's and rapist first, so they will feel more at home. Then fence them off like the stupid sheep they are...
  • Muddytexan 2012/11/08 01:17:00
    Muddytexan
    Texas may have had a rough past but it has a power no other state holds. Secession in my opinion would be a great idea but I do think we would have a rocky start but once a true democracy is set forth as for a new constitution which doesn't need an electoral college so peoples rule would be true. We have oil, ports, land, educated citizens and experience plus the chance to improve the lives of thousands of people.
  • PatricioBridges 2009/08/23 20:18:04
    PatricioBridges
    If Texas succeeded in seceding, I'd move there in a minute.
  • EchoPsychotic 2009/05/28 22:23:40
    EchoPsychotic
    If Texas were to secede then WE WOULD FAIL!!! Our profits would crash andwe would fall into another depression. We joined the states for a reason. Protection. and better resources. Texas will not secede.
  • DG.= Political Athiest = An... 2009/05/20 01:13:14
    DG.= Political Athiest = Anarchist
    +1
    I am so glad you asked this question..........I would in a heart-beat! I am so ready to leave this police state I live in- it feels like I live in England here in IL. I am So sick and tired of the government watching, taxing and controlling everything I do, eat, make, sell...............This is complete tyrany....It has to stop.
  • GoTexas DG.= Po... 2009/05/22 19:36:36
    GoTexas
    +2
    Ditto. And please supporting the Texas Nationalist Movement. We will secede--it's an inevitability. Passage of cap and trade--which is very, very punitive to Texas--will push Texans over the edge for sure.
  • RicemanSTM ~POTL~PWCM~JLA~AFCL 2009/05/08 15:39:49
    RicemanSTM ~POTL~PWCM~JLA~AFCL
    Already here.
  • kahless 2009/04/30 16:03:05
    kahless
    +1
    God bless Texas....one state not afraid to tell berry to go piss up a rope.
  • triggerman_1 2009/04/27 16:06:44
    triggerman_1
    +1
    I am a proud resident of Texas and I will plan on staying here.
  • mu_linlin7 2009/04/25 01:47:15
    Hell no!
    mu_linlin7
    It's "seceded." "Succeeded" means something completely different. Just FYI. =)
  • Comrade Volizden 2009/04/21 13:56:44 (edited)
    Hell no!
    Comrade Volizden
    +2
    But I would Support Aeriel Bombing, and Sealing off the border to keep those damned immigrants out

Just Kidding

Maybe
  • DoorGunner 2009/04/21 01:25:56
    DoorGunner
    +2
    The Confederate States of America had every right to secede and defend themselves from Lincoln's invading army. I would hope that other states follow suit if Texas were to leave this dysfunctional union and its over-reaching Federal government and, yes, I'd move to Texas.
  • infinityorzero 2009/04/20 21:54:33 (edited)
    infinityorzero
    +2
    Wouldn't they build a fence to keep out all us damn illegal immigrants?
  • FLBabe 2009/04/19 22:54:26
    FLBabe
    +2
    HELL Yes!!!

quicker horse burr keester
  • infinit... FLBabe 2009/04/20 21:57:50
    infinityorzero
    Why do you hate America?
  • FLBabe infinit... 2009/04/21 02:25:30
    FLBabe
    +1
    I hate what's being done to not only America, but to future generations being born into tens of thousands of dollars in debt. I hate to see the political class thumb their noses at hundred of thousands of American voicing their opinion. I hate to see freedom of speech label a person as a terrorist. This is not the America I grew up in, and it makes me sad to see the ruination being foisted upon her.
  • infinit... FLBabe 2009/04/21 04:13:04
    infinityorzero
    It seems to me that these problems are improving.
    The direction of politics seems to be toward a more open and inclusive approach than it has been recently. There is much less demonizing of those who express an opinion counter to the ruling government. The question, "Why do you hate America?", is now asked sarcastically and ironically, not literally as it had been recently.
    And the huge spending and debt that is happening now fits with economic theory for this particular economic situation, unlike the huge spending and debt that accumulated recently. If this type of spending were to continue that would clearly be a horrible policy. But I haven't seen much indication that this is more than temporary.
  • xscd FLBabe 2009/04/24 19:31:55
    xscd
    FLBabe says the following, in quotes:

"I hate what's being done to not only America, but to future generations ..."
    That's how I felt under Bush

"I hate to see the political class thumb their noses at hundred of thousands of American voicing their opinion."
    That's how I felt under Bush, and I was called unpatriotic for it.

"I hate to see freedom of speech label a person as a terrorist."
    That's how I felt under Bush, and with his administration shredding the Constitution with impunity I had some real fear about the possibility of being called an "enemy combattant" or sympathizer even if I exercised mere free speech.

"This is not the America I grew up in, and it makes me sad to see the ruination being foisted upon her."
    That's how I felt under Bush, and am so relieved that the U.S. is at least going a new direction than the road to ruin foisted upon us by Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld et al.

It depends on what side of the political fence you're on, and in this case, the grass always looks greener on one's own side.
  • FLBabe xscd 2009/04/25 00:53:00
    FLBabe
    +1
    I don't have a "political fence". I am not a Democrat or Republican, just an American who is fed up with this Administration destroying my country. I don't think Bush was a great president either, but I at least felt safe in my own country. I felt that I could criticize him without Homeland Security calling me a domestic terrorist because I disagree with the administration. The last good president I think we had was Kennedy, who was a Democrat I believe. Don't try and paint me into one of the two bought and paid for political parties running my country into the ground. You don't know me. You don't know anything about me. Sorry I don't cum in my pants over this FRAUD and his teleprompter being foisted on America, I didn't drink the kool aid. I didn't drink it with Bush, and I didn't drink it with Obama. But I will say Obama has in 100 days done a worse job than Bush in 8 years. And that is saying something.
  • xscd FLBabe 2009/04/25 02:31:42
    xscd
    FLBabe says: "I don't have a "political fence". I am not a Democrat or Republican ... Don't try and paint me into one of the two bought and paid for political parties running my country into the ground. You don't know me."

Who did you vote for in the two presidential races that preceded Obama's election?
  • FLBabe xscd 2009/04/25 18:19:54
    FLBabe
    Libertarian candidates, ever heard of them?? I think the d's and r's in congress in particular, are responsible for the mess we are in right now. They have ruined my country. I think every incumbent should be voted out. All of them. I don't give a rat's ass what initial they have after their name. They are all crooks and have dug our country in such a hole it will take generations to get out of it. Personally, I don't think Bush was smart enough to ruin the country this badly. Congress is where the real rats lie.
  • xscd FLBabe 2009/04/25 19:36:20
    xscd
    FLBabe-- Thanks for answering. You have a very interesting point of view. I like what Libertarians stand for, but have not voted for them (except on local and state level) because of the seeming impossibility of electing a Libertarian for president. My votes have mainly been votes _against_ a certain candidate rather than for him. Maybe the Libertarians will gain in prominence now that there are so many disenchanted people tired of the same ol', same ol'.
  • DG.= Po... xscd 2009/05/20 01:26:28
    DG.= Political Athiest = Anarchist
    Bush sucks beyond belief....... AND Obama sucks even more! It's all old school, the two party system is OVER, honey.
    The NEW party system is upon us...........WE MUST ALL get with it.Time to stop watching CABLE NEWS ND START USING THE GRAY MATTER THAT GOD GAVE US. Vote out ALL incumbants (except Ron Paul)!!!!!!!!!
  • justin 2009/04/19 01:56:51
    justin
    +1
    I have had it with the liberal commies spending moremoney then they have in fort Knox (now rumered to be an empty building)
  • infinit... justin 2009/04/20 21:56:52
    infinityorzero
    How do you feel about conservative free-marketers spending more money than they have in Fort Knox? Or I should say, how did you feel when they did?
  • DG.= Po... infinit... 2009/05/20 01:32:22
    DG.= Political Athiest = Anarchist
    Bush spent soooooooo much money it was almost incoprehensible. But then O stepped in and out spent him in his first 100 days-not to mention the socialism he's bringing into commerce which is at complete odds with our Constitution. It really could not get any worse. I'm begining to think even 100 more years in Iraq may have been better than what we have going on here now! Both parties are corrupt-their hands are RED with the blood of our son's- time to vote for a new party!
  • Spider20 2009/04/18 03:03:50
    Spider20
    +1
    Actually, I have been giving it some thought....a few high school friends want me to move there like yesterday.
  • princess 2009/04/17 23:57:06 (edited)
    princess
    +1
    Fortunately, I'm already here and wouldn't live anywhere else....and yes, I'm hoping we do secede.
    fortunately live hoping secede
  • infinit... princess 2009/04/20 21:58:05
    infinityorzero
    Why do you hate America?
  • DG.= Po... infinit... 2009/05/20 02:32:20
    DG.= Political Athiest = Anarchist
    +1
    I just have to answer this.........I have seen you pose this same question to others. I do not think anyone who is for Texas seceeding hates America/ I think they actually love it even more than most poeple. The people who are in support of secession are patriots in the truest sense of the word, these are the ones who truly love the constitution. These would be the people who believe government should be out of their business and their pockets. And if you want to say "why do you hate America" and if they reply to your very stupid question........the answer would have to be because it is a ghost impression of the America it once was. And not that long ago, either. Just 30 years ago there was ten-fold the freedom there is now. This new global America is tyranical presently and is a closer resemblence to socialism than a republic......for which it (was intended to) stands.......This America was FOUNDED upon Christian values. And I am not going where you think with this....what I mean is it is Christian to give a days wages for a days work, In this new America you do not see employers keeping the interests of their employees in mind and heart. Also, It is not Christian to charge your brother usery......This new global Ameria is all about gain and cutting the financial throat of the ...
    ''
    I just have to answer this.........I have seen you pose this same question to others. I do not think anyone who is for Texas seceeding hates America/ I think they actually love it even more than most poeple. The people who are in support of secession are patriots in the truest sense of the word, these are the ones who truly love the constitution. These would be the people who believe government should be out of their business and their pockets. And if you want to say "why do you hate America" and if they reply to your very stupid question........the answer would have to be because it is a ghost impression of the America it once was. And not that long ago, either. Just 30 years ago there was ten-fold the freedom there is now. This new global America is tyranical presently and is a closer resemblence to socialism than a republic......for which it (was intended to) stands.......This America was FOUNDED upon Christian values. And I am not going where you think with this....what I mean is it is Christian to give a days wages for a days work, In this new America you do not see employers keeping the interests of their employees in mind and heart. Also, It is not Christian to charge your brother usery......This new global Ameria is all about gain and cutting the financial throat of the other to further ones self.
    The people for secession are not America haters- they are globalism-socialism haters. Do you see? can you understand? The America that Is right now, is not the same America that was just a short time ago and since it's founding. It's nothing but dry bones!
  • Chuck 2009/04/17 16:42:02
    Hell no!
    Chuck
    +1
    What is the most unpatriotic thing you can do for your country, other than becoming a traitor?
    Leaving it.
    What the hell does Texas want to do?
  • Bear 2009/04/17 16:40:53
    Bear
    +1
    If Texas succeeds in seceding, the odds against which are more than astronomical, I'd visit my Mom and sister from time to time, but wouldn't move there. The US would invade soon enough to protect whatever oil is still accessible.
  • Shylee 2009/04/17 15:56:27
    Shylee
    +2
    hey yawl
    texas just turns purple and now yawl pesky republicans are comming to invade Texas.wth.........LOL
  • A314 Golden Dragon 2009/04/17 15:28:51
    Hell no!
    A314 Golden Dragon
    Not sure about the question. If they succeeded from the union would that be better or worse than seceding?
  • EagleEye A314 Go... 2009/04/21 00:26:07
    EagleEye
    smart-ass....I already took flak for that....but once you enter your question it does not allow you to correct stupid mistakes (not my first one either)
  • A314 Go... EagleEye 2009/04/21 00:37:15
    A314 Golden Dragon
    +1
    Sorry that was a smart ass remark and I deserve to be blasted for that. I was just flustered and took it out on you. Again EagleEye my apologies for a smart ass remark to a legit question.
  • EagleEye A314 Go... 2009/04/22 23:02:27
    EagleEye
    Apology accepted, no harm no foul...don't be too concerned about being a smart-ass---I appreciate them much more than dumb asses! :=)
  • *EXtremest* redneck4life 2009/04/17 14:34:32
    *EXtremest* redneck4life
    +1
    same with montana
  • irish 2009/04/17 14:32:34
    irish
    +1
    sorry but as a spelling correctly nut i have to do this!! secede ,secede from the union. i would but its not economically possible now.plus its too hot in texas.

2014/04/20 18:48:15