Gay Austrian athlete says fuss over Russia law is exaggerated

KoAm 2014/02/09 11:39:48
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/gay-austrian-athlete-says-fuss-o...

ROSA KHUTOR, Russia (Reuters) -
Lesbian Austrian ski jumper and gay rights advocate Daniela
Iraschko-Stolz says public reaction to a Russian law banning homosexual
propaganda among minors had been exaggerated and that she wants to focus
on sport at the Winter Olympics.

Russia has come under heavy international criticism for a law banning the spread of "gay propaganda" among minors.

Asked ahead of her competition whether she
was worried about the law, Iraschko-Stolz replied: "No, on the
contrary, I think everything is being blown up bigger than it is. I had a
very good welcome like every other athlete. There were absolutely no
problems."

Moscow says the law is needed to defend young people but activists say it is fueling anti-gay violence in Russia.

"Naturally you have to look at it from a different point of view and
always be critical, but especially in my situation, I don't want to talk
too much about it," said the Austrian, who is one of the leading
contenders for a medal in Tuesday's normal hill event.

"I only want to focus on sports and I think if you're tolerant towards
everyone else they treat you the same way and it gives you a lot of joy.
I think you can make a statement by jumping well."

"Living in the Olympic village is much better than I'd ever imagined.
At the moment I'm living like a fairy tale because as a child I always
wanted to take part in the Olympics Games," she said.

• KoAm 2014/02/09 11:43:20
    Russia has a law protecting minors from having homosexuality pushed on them -...
    KoAm
    +4
    If you believe some people, including the U.S. President, you'd think Russia was rounding up homosexuals and throwing them in prison or something. (Or executing them, which is what Islamic countries do without a peep of a protest from Obama.)

Seems to me the Russians simply don't want minors being propagandized with a lot of "gay is okay" stuff. (I don't blame them, either.) That seems about the extent of their so-called "anti-gay" laws. Not exactly the stuff of "raging homophobia" or anything.

If this lesbian athlete from Austria says there's no problem, then all the other "pro-gay activists" out there ought to pipe down and just enjoy the Games. Or at least just pipe down.

• cheeze 2014/03/06 20:34:05
    cheeze
    The law was about sexuality being pushed in children's faces, not just homosexuality.
  • Half-breed 2014/02/11 03:25:40
    Other: ___
    Half-breed
    +1
    It is a law that prohibits homosexual propaganda to minors, and there are pros and cons to that. But if this gay Austrian ski jumper thinks it is overblown I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt and I wish her luck.
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2014/02/10 14:28:56
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Only 3-4% of the population here behave gay. It hasn't changed for decades because it is repulsive to the majority. Even with the MSM pushing the fatal behavior, it will never become acceptable to the vast majority - anywhere.

What NEEDS to happen is for media to make everyone aware of how AIDS is a pandemic and that anal sex is the reason. MSM does not do anything in the best interest of our children.
  • kay simmers 2014/02/10 00:55:00
    kay simmers
    +2
    Too bad America doesn't protect her children.
  • ChiTownGirl 2014/02/09 22:30:38
    ChiTownGirl
    I agree with Daniela Iraschko-Stolz. Militant gays always make it about themselves and not the Olympics, as it should be. Putin is probably gay himself.
  • Not A Crybaby Richard <3Fre... 2014/02/09 18:58:56
    Other: ___
    Not A Crybaby Richard <3Freedom!
    Agreed. Boycotting Sochi because of the gay laws is just stupid. There are better reasons to do so.

Wish you great luck Daniela Iraschko-Stolz <33 Go for gold!
  • Trish 2014/02/09 18:56:49
    Trish
    In the USA, everything is exaggerated.
  • Red Branch 2014/02/09 18:47:02
    Red Branch
    +2
    The media, as the media does, blew the whole issue out of proportion at best and maybe even created the controversy at worst. 0bama's social immaturity sets his course of action.
    I am not at the games, so I will take the word of an expert. A gay athlete who is participating in the games.
  • tytyvyllus Red Branch 2014/02/09 20:04:43
    tytyvyllus
    +1
    there is nothing the media will not exaggerate believing that is what the public wishes to here; how about some facts; too boring?
  • CKarliner 2014/02/09 18:36:38
    Other: ___
    CKarliner
    +1
    Lame and overblown...this is Obama sticking his face into things like Beer summit to so many Treyvon like issues that merely divide and force division...get real Mr wanna-be king who sent three homosexuals to Russia pre Sochi!
  • jeane 2014/02/09 18:20:49
    jeane
    +3
    Overblown as expected.
  • henry.sasser.III 2014/02/09 13:00:37
    henry.sasser.III
    +2
    That's not quite it...but at was the gist of the law. It is anti-gay advertising, but it was not the extreme "Anti-Gay Law" everybody keeps talking about.
  • RH 2014/02/09 12:50:34
    Other: ___
    RH
    +1
    I honestly don't care about the laws in Russia. They affect me... none. They don't. They don't affect anyone that doesn't live there. As for the homosexual laws there... yes lets make that more important than the Olympics.... It is SO more important!
  • robbychadwilson 2014/02/09 11:57:40
  • KoAm robbych... 2014/02/09 12:01:29
    KoAm
    +2
    To me, "how people choose to get off" isn't the point of this story.

The point is that some people who have never even been to Russia are somehow convinced that it's the worst place in the world for gay people -- and yet here is a lesbian athlete in Sochi saying it's no problem.
  • robbych... KoAm 2014/02/09 12:04:13
  • KoAm 2014/02/09 11:43:20
    KoAm
    +4

2015/04/19 06:33:54