Facebook Encourages Organ Donation: OK or Inappropriate?

SodaHead News 2012/05/02 20:00:00
If your Facebook account and organ donation are two of your favorite things, this is your lucky day. Inspired by the social network's unplanned role in keeping people connected while disaster ravaged Japan during the tsunami, Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is making it easy for users to spread their organs around by giving them an opportunity to share their donor status and link to donor registration sites.

Zuckerberg told "Good Morning America, "Dinner conversations [with my girlfriend] are often about Facebook and kids, and the kids that she's meeting. She'll see them getting sicker, then, all of a sudden, an organ becomes available, and she comes home and her face is all lit up because someone's life is going to be better because of this." So they're partnering with Donate Life America in hopes of lighting up the 114,000 people on waiting lists. But is it an appropriate partnership for Facebook?

facebook zuckerberg

• Ozymandias 2012/05/03 00:19:29
    OK
    Ozymandias
    +12
    Absolutely 100-percent okay! We need more organ donors, and I'm glad Facebook is taking a stand and doing something so prodigious.

• dallasjoe 2012/06/18 23:37:48
    Inappropriate
    dallasjoe
    Until they stop the two lists one for the 99% and the one for the 1 % like Dick Chenney
  • Mike J. Hirak 2012/05/15 21:00:45
    OK
    Mike J. Hirak
    I'm not a donor, but I can't see why it would be wrong for Facebook to promote it
  • Lerro DeHazel 2012/05/11 17:09:16
    OK
    Lerro DeHazel
    Yeah, there needs to be more Organ Donors.
  • S* 2012/05/11 15:05:30
    OK
    S*
    as long as you are dead, otherwise, it might be construed as unseemly.
  • tj ~(^-^)~ 2012/05/11 13:13:49
    OK
    tj  ~(^-^)~
    +1
    I'm all for the organ donating, as long as I'm not alive when they're taking it.
    If my organs are good to go and I die, I'm not gonna need them, but I could save someone else's life with them, why wouldn't I jump on the chance?
  • Cora 2012/05/07 02:43:56
    OK
    Cora
    As long as people are welling to help another human being and not be forced or coerced there shouldn't be a problem with it.
  • Username? What's that? 2012/05/06 21:04:57
    OK
    Username? What's that?
  • Tennessee3501 2012/05/06 20:39:11
    OK
    Tennessee3501
    +1
    All social media on the internet should encourage organ donation! As long as they do not start hiring "hitmen" to bring in the organs, they should continue the good work!
  • srinath 2012/05/06 03:51:49
    OK
    srinath
    advertising this will just give an awareness. the final decision is still private and to be done voluntarily. so no probs ;)
  • Gregaj7 2012/05/06 01:44:28
    Inappropriate
    Zuckerberg scares me.
  • Eoghan Gregaj7 2012/05/25 16:12:03
    Eoghan
    +1
    But is that really a reason to deny the people who need organ transplants urgently for having a better chance. What are your real reasons for flagging this as inappropriate?
  • Gregaj7 Eoghan 2012/05/25 16:55:41
    Might need to take a stronger look at the commercial nature of the 'organ-donor' "industry". If the price-paid is high enough, the folk running the 'black-market' on this will literally kill someone being compatible to take care of that "need". Usually that individual is in the "Elitist" category of power/$$/etc. This is where Zuckerberg wants to hang-out, as he went to Bilderberg in 2011, along with Jeff Bezos of Amazon.
  • Eoghan Gregaj7 2012/11/04 23:46:17
  • Rukasaki ~~ Hawkshadow 2012/05/05 21:30:44
    OK
    Rukasaki ~~ Hawkshadow
    +1
    whats wrong with being an organ donor?
  • Little Angel 2012/05/05 20:51:17
    Inappropriate
    Little Angel
    I am an organ donor but I think it is very inappropriate for FB
    to encourage it. This is a very private decision and some
    people are unable to do this.
  • stevmackey 2012/05/05 19:59:11
    OK
    stevmackey
    They get them however they can.
  • Earl Hickey 2012/05/05 19:07:43
    OK
    Earl Hickey
    well, if a person is dead, it doesn't make a difference if some of his healthy organs will be harvested. So I'm all for it.
  • Kitty Kat 'CARROT' 2012/05/05 18:10:43
    Inappropriate
    Kitty Kat 'CARROT'
    that was ment 2 be ok
  • Pinball Wizard 2012/05/05 15:49:47
    OK
    Pinball Wizard
    I have it on my DL anyway.
  • Eric S. 2012/05/05 14:53:42
    OK
    Eric S.
    I can't understand why people are so afraid of donating when they are gone years later while it helps people who are really desperately in need of it. When the person's dead, does he still need it in the burial? Startling to say this but the people who would certainly say and wish everyone would be generous and caring to donate are those who are already in need, either themselves or their family members. Anyhow, I think everyone should be generous and caring towards everyone who is greatly in need.
  • Prophet 2012/05/05 11:58:06
    OK
    Prophet
    Just in regards to a kidney. More could be available if there was not a law prohibiting the sale of this organ. We can thank Al Gore for putting the kabosch on that one. A person should be allowed to and have the freedom sell a kidney if they so decided to do so.
  • RJS 2012/05/05 08:09:36
    OK
    RJS
    Too many people die needing an organ just because most of us don't want to think about donating while we're alive and then our families can't bring themselves to think of others when we're freshly dead. We really need a new system.
  • Brian P 2012/05/04 22:45:19
    OK
    Brian P
    Can't see why this would even be a debate. Unless of course we want to reduce population size?
  • wgossett99 2012/05/04 22:00:11
    OK
    wgossett99
    Excellent idea. There already is a shortage of donated organs. Someone dies every 45 minutes for the lack of a donated organ.
  • the wizz 2012/05/04 18:37:04
    OK
    the wizz
    I am an organ donor and as a former member one of the worlds greatest search and rescue teams, the U.S. Coast Guard I fully support any idea that saves lives !!! That,s on of the miracles of the internet, it can improve and save lives like never before possible by those in need and those willing to give !!!!!
  • Marleneemm 2012/05/04 17:16:36
    OK
    Marleneemm
    Organ Donation is a personal thing.
    I would love to do it but since I suffer from Epilepsy since I was a child and have taken
    all kinds of medication for it and other ailments I would have to say that I'm innelegable
    to do so.
  • Nan 2012/05/04 16:33:45
    OK
    Nan
    I think it's a great thing he's doing..kudos to Zuckerberg.
  • relic 2012/05/04 16:06:33
    OK
    relic
    It's OK as long as NO donated organ goes to Mark Zuckerberg. Let him die.
  • Tamara McMillan 2012/05/04 16:01:01
    OK
    Tamara McMillan
    I see nothing wrong with it. FB is all about your personal stuff and donating your organs is darn personal so why not link the two?
  • GLaDOS 2012/05/04 15:40:34
    OK
    GLaDOS
    +1
    It's okay, but when you are an organ donor, you can't be certain where your organs are going. They might go to medical science, like for med students, but never help an actual life. Sad, really. I wish you could select individual options, like, "Yes, I want to donate these organs, but I don't want them to become a lab experiment for some guy in college."
  • jacktown kid 2012/05/04 15:15:55
    OK
    jacktown kid
    great Idea
  • mneiai 2012/05/04 14:48:09
    Inappropriate
    mneiai
    As others stated, those of us who can't donate organs are left in sort of an odd state because of it (I would think even some people with religious reasons might feel a little odd explaining that to everyone). I'm not sure what the choices are or what this involves, as I only use my FB when absolutely necessary, but it's not something I would share with anyone but my closest friends, so it feels useless to even have such an option. I guess there are a lot of people who aren't registered organ donors for no real reason or something, for this to be an issue that needs attention, but I'm not sure those sorts of idiots will honestly go out and register just because of Facebook, anyway. Also, it does feel just generally creepy and like something that's going to show up as part of a CSI ep or something lol
  • ariesheshelala 2012/05/04 14:39:45
    OK
    ariesheshelala
    On the back of my license,I got my organ donation sticker.I'm also a strong supporter and a registered organ donor. I've been since i was 18. This is a great ideal,I wish more people would consider being donors.
  • Tasine 2012/05/04 14:38:10
    OK
    Tasine
    It isn't only O.K. - it's admirable! My husband was an organ donor. When he died, they took his eyes, bones, tendons, ligaments, etc, including skin. His death was not a total loss. I lost, but numerous others gained from his donation.

I have authorized my organ donation as well. I see it as a tremendous waste NOT to donate.
  • Bastet 2012/05/04 14:23:24
    Inappropriate
    Bastet
    I think it's morbid and kinda risky. There are people who are desperate enough to do something crazy with this kind of system. If people are willing to pay thousands of dollars and go to shady clinics for donations, what's to stop them fro stalking you, ending your life, and then getting a doctor to agree to the donation??? Personally, I don't want anyone to know if i'm willing to donate or not.
  • Jean 2012/05/04 14:20:41
    OK
    Jean
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with using Facebook or any other social media outlet to spotlight the need for organ donations and to facilitate matching donors with those who need organs. I'd like to see some stats on how many lives have been saved every year thanks to this partnership.
  • Elizabeth Dupree 2012/05/04 13:58:17
    OK
    Elizabeth Dupree
    I think if we can post stupid random bull on Facebook , and this might actually be a good thing to come out of the social network then why not :)
  • Kathy Lasee 2012/05/04 13:46:05
    Inappropriate
    Kathy Lasee
    I would not be able to indicate organ donation since I'm a cancer survivor....I think it's a little too personal to put on your page. Having registrations sites is fine, though.
  • Cookie 2012/05/04 13:22:41
    OK
    Cookie
    I think it's just fine.I'm an organ because if somebody can use my organs after I'm gone then they can have them because i have no use for them anymore.
  • wulfsong 2012/05/04 12:39:20
    OK
    wulfsong
    Kudos to Zuckerberg. Great way to take social networking to a higher level of morality. There are too many people out there who die while waiting for an organ donation. If facebook can be used to network donor registration then it has finally risen above the frivolousness of social networking.

2014/04/17 21:47:45