Does The Proverbial Glass Ceiling Still Exist For Women In The Workplace?

KKP 2010/04/05 21:00:41

• Spud 2010/04/13 16:22:33
    Spud
    Listen... If a woman believes she is worth a higher paycheck, then she should prove it by doing the job with 110% effort. She will earn her money as men do because the opportunity is there for her to take. The brass ring is swinging and if a woman is smart enough to grab it, no one will stand in her way. If a woman does not have the moxy to grab the brass ring... its HER fault. Stand up for your rights and you will be heard. Quit crying and get to work is my advice... the time you spend crying is time wasted working for your goals...
  • Matt 2010/04/12 11:14:43
    Matt
    +1
    yes it does and its there for a reason. If women were to go up another level they would be walking around on the glass ceiling. And that would not be good for productivity on the floor directly below...
  • rox 2010/04/12 07:25:30
    rox
    yes. I get paid less than my co-worker and we've been working together for months! this is why they say it's against the rules to show each other your paychecks, BECAUSE THEY PAY MEN MORE!!! (in most cases -_-)
  • Dem0072 2010/04/12 06:50:28
    Dem0072
    Its all up to the women. Their fate and potential is their own choosing. I fail to see why minorities are still begging and groveling about what position they hold or who gets paid more.

Employment generally implies working at the lower level of corporate America. Corporate America cares about one thing - money. Want your power, your money, your fame? Go above your asstard of a manager, go above your district dickface. Hook a deal thats exclusive to your name & your name only, and slam it on an executives table with your list of terms. Make it worth at least 6 figures to the company and have all of the work already done for them in advance. If possible - protect your ideas intellectually without using company resources (so that little terms of employment paper you signed during orientation is now null and powerless).

If they don't appreciate you for it - I'm sure your employers competition will love you for it.

You want the power? Start acting like it.Start stacking the deck against the putzy pansies in Human Resources and take control of the situation.

But remember. Nomatter how many objects you must dispose of. You are accountable for what you do with the money. You can choose to keep it - or to do something the bastards youve been surrounded by are yet to consider. Pla...

But remember. Nomatter how many objects you must dispose of. You are accountable for what you do with the money. You can choose to keep it - or to do something the bastards youve been surrounded by are yet to consider. Play the game with the big boys & show the society around you your big heart. Nothing is more powerful or puts the fear of god into your associates like the collateral damage that comes with axing you once you have them hooked. Notice my choice of wording - your 'associates'. NOT your superiors - nobody is superior to you, nobody is inferior. Remember that.
  • stahlnacht 2010/04/11 08:35:41
    stahlnacht
    My mom earns more in month compared to my dad...
    My cousins earn more in a year than their husbands..
    I don't see that ceiling.
  • Caity stahlnacht 2010/04/12 20:26:36
    Caity
    There is still a pay gap, though, in our country. Women earn 80 something cents for every dollar a man earns.
  • Infidel for Freedom 2010/04/11 04:26:47
    Infidel for Freedom
    I don't know and I don't care, because if merit ruled, I'd be a millionaire!
  • stahlnacht Infidel... 2010/04/11 08:34:26
    stahlnacht
    that kinda rhymes!
  • Infidel... stahlnacht 2010/04/11 18:28:43
    Infidel for Freedom
    Thank you. Actually, I'm all for equal pay for equal work -- for other people, that is. For me, I'm looking for as much money as I can get without working, because while I sure as hell believe in MONEY, I don't believe in work.
  • stahlnacht Infidel... 2010/04/11 18:41:28
    stahlnacht
    Free Lotto
  • ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2010/04/11 00:53:50
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    Women make 77 cents to a man's dollar. Yes it still exists.
  • sasquat... ««Ginge... 2010/04/11 08:39:52
    sasquatchette
    But that 77 cents isn't corrected to compare apples and apples (i.e. equivalent positions, years of experience, etc.).
  • ««Ginge... sasquat... 2010/04/11 23:05:32
    According to the NY times, it is.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/0...
  • sasquat... ««Ginge... 2010/04/12 06:47:44
    sasquatchette
    Did you perhaps link the wrong article? It had nothing to do with equal pay for equal work.
  • ««Ginge... sasquat... 2010/04/12 16:14:01
  • sasquat... ««Ginge... 2010/04/13 03:16:27
    sasquatchette
    No thanks I'm married. :P
  • JoeBob Scruggs 2010/04/11 00:46:25
    JoeBob Scruggs
    +2
    Yup. I can see down yer blouse from up here.
  • Sid 2010/04/09 21:41:05
    Sid
    If it does, it wont for long. WAY more women go to college these days than men.
  • Alan_Scott 2010/04/09 20:45:27
    Alan_Scott
    In some industries perhaps, but there are a lot of female CEO's.
  • Franklin 2010/04/09 12:23:26
    Franklin
    ..its just another liberal myth to keep people distracted/separated/segregated and subjugated ! One need only look at the actual text of the so called “Equal pay for equal work” bill to see proof of the scam , it clearly out lines the exceptions a woman will receive “exempting” them from actually performing Equal work while still receiving equal pay ...liberal woman like this “idea” because they know it elevates them with out any effort on their part ....
  • michael 2010/04/09 05:36:37
    michael
    I tihnk in many ways both genders have a glass ceiling
  • mzemma 2010/04/09 04:49:50
    mzemma
    +1
    For sure! Women never make as much as men for doing the very same job! And guess what I heard about health insurance.. women's premium are higher. And insurance companies paid for erecitle disfunction medicine before it covered birth control for women.. yes! Believe it! It's still a man's world, ladies.. get use to it.. or kick some ass and make some changes!
  • Hebertprime 2010/04/09 04:48:32
  • joejoe 2010/04/09 04:06:02
    joejoe
    I think this is a myth. Men make more money and are more often in lucrative positions not because of discrimination, but because of several factors. Women are absent from work twice as often as men, put in more work hours, are more willing to relocate, and the list goes on. The glass ceiling is feminist propaganda. A good book to read is William Farrell's "Why Men Earn More". Farrell used to be the only male chair in NOW (National Organization for Women). He gave up his position because he was tired of the lies, hypocrisy, misandry, and so much more.
  • bill 2010/04/08 19:28:46
    bill
    Do people that think woman are being held back work in any major corporations or even at all?
    Ive worked for Fidelity,IBM,Microsoft,Putnam Investment, Bank of NY, Wachovia and many other companies. Im an IT consultant that is why so many places lol. Anyways in all those companies I see so many woman in powerful positions. Woman have achieved great things, and power. Do you really still need to be complaining?

As far as pay goes, benefits are factored into your salary, I think woman may get a little less because:
    1. Maternity leave, while ideally this is not fair granted, it does make business sense.
    2. Men are more aggressive at obtaining higher salaries, some also feel they should make more than woman, and with woman getting such great jobs now, men become more aggressive trying to keep the gap further.

I had a decision between 2 people for a promotion, the male wanted 20k more than the female.
    Later after promoting the female I asked her why she did not ask for more money, her response was "the promotion meant more to me than the money".

My point is if the majority of women were as aggressive as the men in salary negotiations ther would be no gap, well maybe the men would be less.
  • joejoe bill 2010/04/09 04:08:20
    joejoe
    Have you heard of Warren Farrell? You're going to love his book "Why Men Earn More". It dispels all the feminist propaganda crap about its theories about the wage gap.
  • thefatguy 2010/04/08 19:14:50
    thefatguy
    +1
    To the extent that a barrier exists to female advancement in business, it is self-imposed by career choice. The "pay gap" is a huge lie.
  • I am the FIRST BLACK PRESIDENT 2010/04/08 14:53:33
  • I am th... I am th... 2010/04/09 12:24:01
  • Derek I am th... 2010/04/11 02:05:18
    Derek
    +1
    please STFU
  • I am th... Derek 2010/04/11 13:35:37
  • Derek I am th... 2010/04/11 16:53:54
    Derek
    Of balls? I already have
  • I am th... Derek 2010/04/11 23:39:58
  • Derek I am th... 2010/04/12 00:20:04
    Derek
    Your initial comment about what women should be doing lowered my respect for you to the same level of respect I have for the trolls of ED.

Who am I to question your opinion? Well, as I have gathered, this site is dedicated for everyone to give your opinion and challenge ideas. You gave your opinion, and from it I gather the conclusion that you're a moron. Just like you are entitled to your misogynistic ideas, I'm entitled to think the worse of you for it.

You can challenge my opinion about how stupid you are by offering a well-thought-out discussion about women in modern society, but I doubt my opinion will change. If you had any good reasons to think that women are underachieving, I think you would have stated them in your original response, rather than a one-sentence inflammatory comment.
  • I am th... Derek 2010/04/12 01:57:50
  • Derek I am th... 2010/04/12 02:07:09
    Derek
    You're suggesting that women are completely incapable of balancing a career and a family life?

And who says all women want to have children? Oh but I suppose that's all women are for after all, popping out babies.
    Based on that logic we should kill about 75% of all the men, because one man can father many children and the sole purpose of our existence is reproduction, RIGHT?
  • I am th... Derek 2010/04/12 02:13:47
  • Derek I am th... 2010/04/12 02:19:08
    Derek
    In case you haven't looked at my profile, I'm a guy too.

Wow, a feminist man! What's the world coming to?

Even in primitive societies where hunting and gathering were the major sources of food, women still played a bigger role than just "mothers". Your argument is invalid.
  • I am th... Derek 2010/04/12 02:19:48
  • Derek I am th... 2010/04/12 02:24:21
    Derek
    Way to be mature

2014/04/18 18:31:15