Does the Constitution need updated?

Outtolunch 2009/09/01 12:45:53
I think......................
I think..........
Im doing a paper on the American Constitution in my American History class, relating to the below quote.

Can I have your comments please, in order to reflect the feelings of a section of the American people accurately, hopefully from both sides of the argument - which I intend to include in my finished paper

"It has been over 200 years since the Constitution became the law of the land. Since that time, the country and the American people have undergone immense changes that were not and could not have been foreseen by the founders. We are not the same people we were when the Constitution was conceived. Our culture has changed, our ethnic and religious mixes have changed, our technology has transformed the way we live and think, we are more tolerant and our status in the world has drastically altered. The size and structure of our government has grown far beyond its constitutional framework. And few of these systematic alterations to our scheme of government match the original Constitution anymore—a scheme that was developed for 13 isolated colonial states."

Thanks in advance.

• The Bantam Seditioner 2009/09/01 13:42:13
    I think......................
    The Bantam Seditioner
    +4
    The problem with the Constitution isn't its age or any alleged lack of relevance. The problem is it's never enforced. The U.S. Constitution, with its accompanying Bill of Rights is one of the most relevant, radical, and dynamic historical precedents in the history of civilization itself. Never before did a founding document so clearly and concisely make the case for inviolable individual rights and liberties, or for carefully restraining the federal government to a select few functions.

The charge is often made today that the founders lived in simpler times and couldn't predict the harsh political realities of today; the opposite is true. It was MUCH harder to stand up for individual rights in the era of the Founders, when to do so was grounds for a warrantless arrest with no due process, and a mock trial in a kangaroo court for a treason charge by the British Crown, which would have meant execution. No parole, no house arrest, just "off with their heads." When the Founders pledged their "lives, fortunes, and sacred honor", they were neither exaggerating nor speaking in hyperbole.

• Milk Maid 2009/09/02 22:55:38
    I think......................
    Milk Maid
    +1
    Change isn't always a good thing....I say leave it alone
  • Outtolunch Milk Maid 2009/09/03 16:57:15
    Outtolunch
    +1
    Thanks for that :)
  • Nick 2009/09/02 21:28:34
    I think......................
    Nick
    +1
    The basic principles of the constitution are the same today as they were 200 years ago. What I mean is that we are all still wanting the same things we did back then. It's like the Bible really, the laws of over 2,000 year ago should still apply today. It's the fact that we want to change the wording of both of these pieces of history to accomodate who we as individuals are. We are all so very different that updating either one would be total disaster and someone would STILL feel left out. I think in lieu of changing the constitution, we should strive to go back to the basics of it...life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
  • Outtolunch Nick 2009/09/02 21:31:35
    Outtolunch
    +1
    Thanks - a well thought out answer there :)
  • Nick Outtolunch 2009/09/02 22:10:11 (edited)
    Nick
    +1
    You're most welcome and best of luck on your paper. You've certainly come to the right place for mixed answers :-) Take care.
  • rebmama 2009/09/02 15:29:46
    I think......................
    rebmama
    +3
    The Constitution does NOT need to be "updated", it needs to be upheld!! It is the "systematic alterations to our scheme of government" that need to go!
  • Outtolunch rebmama 2009/09/02 16:06:40
    Outtolunch
    +2
    Thanks for your input
  • PartysOver 2009/09/01 15:53:15
    I think......................
    PartysOver
    +1
    Not under this congress or this president.
  • Outtolunch PartysOver 2009/09/01 16:00:48
    Outtolunch
    Thanks :)
  • Andy 2009/09/01 15:45:10
    I think......................
    Andy
    +1
    the think the right to bear arm is a bit out dated
  • Rall Andy 2009/09/01 18:02:36
    Rall
    +2
    good thing we dont pay you to think.
  • Andy Rall 2009/09/01 18:06:02
    Andy
    +1
    lol ooops lol i know

i'm glad ideots like me can't get guns
  • jdrusso Rall 2013/02/08 02:12:37
    jdrusso
    +3
    Andy is correct. The second amendment was based on a militia (slave patrol) that doesnt exist anymore.
  • Fidelito 2009/09/01 14:43:39
    I think......................
    Fidelito
    +1
    I think we (USA) should call for a Cosntitutional Convention and rewrite a completely new Constitution. The question would be; which states will reject the new union? or, will they all surrender their states constitutions and go along with this Twenty-First Century New World Order--a New World Order that will incorporate all of the North American Community or union?
  • Outtolunch Fidelito 2009/09/01 14:56:49
    Outtolunch
    Interesting reply - thanks for that
    I think......................
    The Bantam Seditioner
    +4

• Outtolunch The Ban... 2009/09/01 14:57:16
    Outtolunch
    +1
    Thanks for that
  • say what? 2009/09/01 13:34:59
    I think......................
    say what?
    +2
    Our constitution needs to be enforced.People have not changed.Power still corrupts and needs to be limited.Most of our countries problems today come from too much government interference and not enough education.
  • Outtolunch say what? 2009/09/01 14:57:23
    Outtolunch
    +1
    Thanks a lot
  • Skeeter -Hmm, Hmm, Hmm 2009/09/01 13:20:14
    I think..........
    Skeeter -Hmm, Hmm, Hmm
    +1
    There is a process for updating it in the Constitution itself. If enough people believed that certain things, whatever they may be, needed to be added, deleted, or altered, it would have been done. The 27th Amendment, which dealt with Congressional pay issue, took over 200 years to be added. If something similar was done today, it would probably set a record for being passed in the shortest amount of time.

The basic structure of 3 branches of government has not gone beyond what the Constitution says. The administrative bureacracy may have. The powers exerted by the three branches, however, have gone beyond what the Constitution allows and that is far more of a problem to be concerned with.
  • Outtolunch Skeeter... 2009/09/01 14:57:39
    Outtolunch
    Thanks for that
  • maggiemay 2009/09/01 13:11:13
    I think..........
    maggiemay
    +3
    . People always want to mess with a good thing. Leave it alone.

people mess leave
  • Outtolunch maggiemay 2009/09/01 14:57:48
    Outtolunch
    Thanks for that
  • Mr. Roc... maggiemay 2009/09/01 19:34:13
    Mr. Rock "n" Roll
    I remember a man saying we live in the greatest country in the world and we can change it or some sort of rubbish like that!
  • Mr. Rock "n" Roll 2009/09/01 12:48:58
    I think......................
    Mr. Rock "n" Roll
    +2
    We need to keep it just as it is and make sure we follow it to the letter. For 200 years it has served us well, you don't mess with a good thing.
  • Outtolunch Mr. Roc... 2009/09/01 14:57:58
    Outtolunch
    Thanks for that

2014/04/17 18:43:04