Do guns prevent crime?

Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2009/12/31 15:42:24
Yes, this statistical fact has been proven over and over.....
No, I don't believe the FBI statistics or any other unbiased statistics, because.....
FBI Reports Huge Decrease In Murders As Firearm, Ammunition And “Large” Magazine Sales Soar

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Last week, the FBI issued its preliminary 2009 crime report, showing that the number of murders in the first half of 2009 decreased 10 percent compared to the first half of 2008. If the trend holds for the remainder of 2009, it will be the single greatest one-year decrease in the number of murders since at least 1960, the earliest year for which national data are available through the Bureau of Justice Statistics. Also, the per capita murder rate for 2009 will be 51 percent lower than the all-time high recorded in 1991, and it will be the lowest rate since 1963—a 46-year low. Final figures for 2009 will be released by the FBI next year.

According to gun control supporter dogma—“more guns means more crime”—the number of privately owned firearms must have decreased 10 percent in 2009. To the contrary, however, the number rose between 1.5 and 2 percent, to an all-time high. For the better part of the last 15 months, firearms, ammunition, and “large” ammunition magazines have been sold in what appear to be record quantities. And, the firearms that were most commonly purchased in 2009 are those that gun control supporters most want to be banned—AR-15s, similar semi-automatic rifles, and handguns designed for defense. The National Shooting Sports Foundation already estimates record ammunition sales in 2009, dominated by .223 Remington, 7.62x39mm, 9mm and other calibers widely favored for defensive purposes.

Also indicative of the upward trend in firearm sales, the number of national instant check transactions rose 24.5 percent in the first six months of 2009 compared to the first six months in 2008, the greatest increase since NICS’ inception in 1998. Through the end of October, NICS transactions rose18 percent, compared to the same period in 2008.

More Guns Means More Crime? Hardly. In 2009, more guns meant less crime, in a very, very big way.
http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/2009prelimsem/index.html

Read More: http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.asp...

• thetruth 2010/01/01 02:44:21
    thetruth
    +11
    I will never understand why any American would want to disarm fellow citizens of the Second Amendment, which in turn would put [more] guns in the hands of criminals!

understand american disarm fellow citizens amendment turn guns hands criminals

Blessings ♫ ........

• garydenton 2012/12/11 07:42:22
    garydenton
    The studies that show that guns reduce crime rates have been shown to be worthless. If you have a gun you are much more likely to be a victim of gun violence.
  • Matthew T. Webb 2012/02/05 22:50:25
    Matthew T. Webb
    Bad guys don't like armed victims. Because then they aren't victims. Ask any criminal.
  • freakoutnow... cuz mom's here 2010/01/15 06:48:45
    freakoutnow... cuz mom's here
    It depends on who has the guns. If the police carry guns, then the criminals also will. Gun control groups make it difficult for the law abiding citizen to defend themselves by owning and carrying guns, thus criminals have prey to devour and a means to trump the police. In this scenareio crime skyrockets, particularly when the justice system fails to keep sex offenders and the other types of criminals who will most likely repeat the same crimes on the outside that should have kept them in jail, in jail. If cops don't have as many guns, then criminals will have fewer guns. If citizens start packing heat in this second scenareio then overall crime plumments.
  • TrueRedWhite&Blue 2010/01/08 18:23:32
    TrueRedWhite&Blue
    +1
    To quote some one "If guns cause crime, mines defective." (Eric Shelton)
  • Jo 2010/01/06 16:20:13
    Jo
    Banning guns just gives criminals access to guns, leaving law-abiding citizens defenseless.
  • Steve Boston 2010/01/05 01:31:14
    Steve Boston
    One trend not noted but there is definite correlation to the election of President Obamuppet and the rise in privately owned firearms. hmmmm. I predict that the current trend will not only sustain but sharply rise over the next few years. You could say that one of his positions on our personal freedoms has back-fired.
  • DaHawk 2010/01/04 23:33:21
    DaHawk
    All I know is this...guns don't kill people....apes with guns kill people
    and they sure deter me
  • Fef 2010/01/04 23:17:42
    Fef
    Many credible studies have shown the number of times guns have deterred crimes far outweighs the number of times criminals used guns in crimes.

We need to enact stiffer penalties for violent crimes -- with or without a gun. Enforce three strikes-type laws. Enforce the death penalty if we have it. Do more pro-active policework to investigate leads of potentially dangerous people owning guns.

Regardless, unless we want to rewrite the Constitution, we have the right to keep and bear arms.
  • little bill 2010/01/03 21:45:52
    little bill
    more guns more crime or less crime it depends.
  • mikebyrd 2010/01/03 03:25:23
  • finalflicker 2010/01/02 18:42:49
    finalflicker
  • crstrode 2010/01/02 15:57:12
    crstrode
    +2
    Every valid report, study, analysis etc. says this is the case.

Where personal possession or ownership of firearms have been restricted, the violent crime rate invariably goes up.

Lock and load!
    Shoot a criminal today. (Cap a socialist while you are at it)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group...

invariably lock load shoot criminal cap socialist httpgroups yahoo comgroup
  • Liberal... crstrode 2012/12/14 09:26:10
    Liberal Atheist
    +10
    None of those studies show a direct correlation to guns lowering the crime rate. Explain the lower rates in countries like Japan that have very strict gun laws.
  • beachbum 2010/01/02 15:53:35
    beachbum
    +1
    Crime is down because criminals no longer know who is packing and who isn't, therefore making their 'work' a lot more dangerous. I've never understood why some people think a criminal's 'work environment' should be a 'safe zone'.
  • Malachi 2010/01/02 15:39:48
    Malachi
    +2
    I believe that the Second Amendment, while it gives one the right to protect self and home, [ with this in mind ] may have also been written to protect Americans from a corrupt government?
  • beachbum Malachi 2010/01/02 15:54:59
    beachbum
    +2
    Exactly - that's why dictators-in-waiting take away the guns before they take total power.
  • Angelique ~ Pfffft! ;)~ 2010/01/02 10:45:22
    Angelique ~ Pfffft!  ;)~
    +3
    gun owner
    Proponents of more gun control confuse me....They choose to exercise their rights to NOT keep and bear arms; why must they feel that in order to do that they must infringe upon our rights to keep and bear arms.
    I promise that I will not take away their right to be victims if they so choose!
    liberty_belles_comebackb
  • Malachi Angeliq... 2010/01/02 15:46:48
    Malachi
    +2
    You have a point! l agree with you wholeheartly!
  • Angeliq... Malachi 2010/01/02 17:38:24
    Angelique ~ Pfffft!  ;)~
    +2
    Thank you....
    Now if they would agree......;-)
  • beachbum Angeliq... 2010/01/02 15:55:38
    beachbum
    +2
    That's the liberal mind-set...'I don't like them, therefore you can't have them'.
  • Angeliq... beachbum 2010/01/02 17:42:56
    Angelique ~ Pfffft!  ;)~
    +2
    That is a selfish mind set. "He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from opposition; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach himself." ~Thomas Paine
  • beachbum Angeliq... 2010/01/02 19:37:54
    beachbum
    +1
    Had to read your post twice...totally agree, it is a selfish mind set. Hadn't thought of it that way - I just seen it as 'control issues', and elitism - thinking that the average person doesn't have a brain in their head, therefore, they need someone (govt.) to take care of them.
  • Angeliq... beachbum 2010/01/02 20:08:18
    Angelique ~ Pfffft!  ;)~
    I think the selfishness and wanting to be in control go hand in hand.
    Hubby says says it best, "I don't want absolute control. I want control absolutely."
    It used to be funny. Until now. Now I understand what that really means. They are the masters at manipulation; and I thought my mother was a pro at that!
  • beachbum Angeliq... 2010/01/02 20:44:38
    beachbum
    +1
    Agree....am assuming that your husband does NOT have 'control absolutely'!
  • Angeliq... beachbum 2010/01/02 23:01:04
    Angelique ~ Pfffft!  ;)~
    No, God has control absolutely!
  • beachbum Angeliq... 2010/01/02 23:26:04
    beachbum
    +1
    Agree wholeheartedly with that statement!
  • ExfleetSailorRet2006 2010/01/02 10:09:56
    ExfleetSailorRet2006
    +2
    They help a little, even more if you show 'em.
  • ihatedemsandtaxeswithapassion 2010/01/02 03:01:43
    ihatedemsandtaxeswithapassion
    +2
    Well doesnt it say Dont Mess With Me better than an AR 15...
  • linny 2010/01/02 01:03:15
    No, I don't believe the FBI statistics or any other unbiased statistics, beca...
    linny
    +1
    No I don't think so.
    I do think however there are more poor than rich.
    And just being "Poor" might create crime.
    Also when Drugs and kreep are getting across the borders- will also create more crime.
    And it's good to have one.
    Sometime the cops just cannot get there in a nick of time.
    I think we should have the right to defend ourselves.
    I know many women that got a gun and a permit to use it and that is because they work in downtown Pgh.
    Yep a gun might just save thier very own lives.
    Even our cops are getting shot.
    Here.
    In the friendly city of Pittsburgh.
    And so much more to say about this.
    But to many words for others to read.
    I also think when you board a plane they should hand each passanger a gun!
    Maybe then we would be safe.
  • Gun665 2010/01/01 22:29:53
  • hook 2010/01/01 21:54:33
    hook
    +4
    arrrgh!! statistical proven arrrgh
  • thetruth hook 2010/01/02 02:19:27
    thetruth
    +3
    That lady's great! ... lol ... I can see her shooting it also :)
  • mach-1 ... hook 2010/01/02 12:17:08
    mach-1  BL-106
    +2
    Hook your a hoot...LOL!
    Cool gun! Cool granny.....
  • mach-1 BL-106 2010/01/01 21:51:59
    mach-1  BL-106
    +5
    In todays world .....we are only safe from this government if we bare arms...when they take that right away ..we are dead in the water...
    My house is armed with Smith&Wesson; and it is my right.
  • Edward Croy 2010/01/01 19:13:06
    Edward Croy
    +4
    However, is is not guns that prevent crimes. It is Americans exercising their Second Amendment right and wielding guns that prevent crime.
  • Racefish 2010/01/01 18:19:57
    Racefish
    +4
    Chew on that you liberal twits. There are two amendments that cover gun ownership. The 2nd and 4th.
  • Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA 2010/01/01 18:08:18
    Torchmanner ~PWCM~JLA
    +4
    Guess what? End run on Ex-Military gun owners!!!!:

http://www.sodahead.com/livin... statistical proven guess run ex-military gun owners httpwww sodahead comlivin
  • ALPEAUX 2010/01/01 17:47:56
    ALPEAUX
    +5
    After WW2 the Japan government mentioned the reason for NOT actively invading the USA. "They were armed, all of them, and dangerous", makes sense to me...Alpeaux
  • Pegasis 2010/01/01 17:03:38 (edited)
    Pegasis
    +5
    An armed population is safer from its government as well as its criminals!

2014/04/24 19:10:19