Companies plan massive layoffs as Obama Care becomes a reality

Birthpangs 2012/11/09 17:37:35

Welch Allyn

Welch Allyn, a company that manufactures medical diagnostic equipment in central New York, announced in September that they would be laying off 275 employees, or roughly 10% of their workforce over the next three years. One of the major reasons discussed for the layoffs was a proactive response to the Medical Device Tax mandated by the new healthcare law.

Dana Holding Corp.

As recently as a week ago, a global auto parts manufacturing company in Ohio known as Dana Holding Corp., warned their employees of potential layoffs, citing "$24 million over the next six years in additional U.S. health care expenses". After laying off several white collar staffers, company insiders have hinted at more to come. The company will have to cover the additional $24 million cost somehow, which will likely equate to numerous cuts in their current workforce of 25,500 worldwide.

Stryker

One of the biggest medical device manufacturers in the world, Stryker will close their facility in Orchard Park, New York, eliminating 96 jobs in December. Worse, they plan on countering the medical device tax in Obamacare by slashing 5% of their global workforce - an estimated 1,170 positions.

Boston Scientific

In October of 2009, Boston Scientific CEO Ray Elliott, warned that proposed taxes in the health care reform bill could "lead to significant job losses" for his company. Nearly two years later, Elliott announced that the company would be cutting anywhere between 1,200 and 1,400 jobs, while simultaneously shifting investments and workers overseas - to China.

Medtronic

In March of 2010, medical device maker Medtronic warned that Obamacare taxes could result in a reduction of precisely 1,000 jobs. That plan became reality when the company cut 500 positions over the summer, with another 500 set for the end of 2013.

Others

A short list of other companies facing future layoffs at the hands of Obamacare:

Smith & Nephew - 770 layoffs
Abbott Labs - 700 layoffs
Covidien - 595 layoffs
Kinetic Concepts - 427 layoffs
St. Jude Medical - 300 layoffs
Hill Rom - 200 layoffs
Beyond the complete elimination of a significant number of American jobs is another looming problem created by the health care law - a shift from full-time to part-time workers.

Read more: PICKET: Companies plan massive layoffs as Obamacare becomes reality - Washington Times http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2012/nov/8/pi...
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

• Quazimoto 2012/11/13 15:58:21
    Other
    Quazimoto
    +1
    People on the government dole don't care.
  • Birthpangs Quazimoto 2012/11/13 18:58:47
  • Quazimoto Birthpangs 2013/01/05 20:22:33
    Quazimoto
    or borrow more money and get farther into debt.
  • Ashley 2012/11/12 00:35:39
    Add this to the tax increase on small business and the unemployment rate shou...
    Ashley
    +1
    I voted for Romney
  • SoCalEx-Dem 2012/11/10 20:51:35
    SoCalEx-Dem
    +2
    Folks that voted for Obama aren't looking for work.
  • Jim 2012/11/10 08:09:30 (edited)
    Jim
    +3
    It has started already. The bread lines are yet to come. When socialism moves in, liberty moves out. Also another big loser with the election of Obama will be charities. The biggest contributors to charities are businesses and the wealthy.. Charity will be among the items that will be cut from spending. The middle class will be cutting back on giving to charity and the poor almost don't donate. The poor will be affected by charities being unable to help them.
  • Birthpangs Jim 2012/11/10 18:52:15 (edited)
  • Pedalpusher 2012/11/10 03:35:45
    Pedalpusher
    +2
    What cracks me up is looking at that map with all the green states on it, a lot of them were blue the night of the elections! The people that voted him in don't want to talk about it now!!
  • BIGK27 2012/11/10 03:06:36
    BIGK27
    +2
    Forward! To mass layoffs!
    By: John Hayward
    11/8/2012 07:58 AM

RESIZE:
    AAA
    Print480Obamanomics grinds grimly onward, as CNBC brings word that on the day after the election, “Boeing announced a major restructuring of its defense division on Wednesday that will cut 30 percent of management jobs from 2010 levels, close facilities in California, and consolidate several business units to cut costs.” It was sweet of them to keep that under wraps until after the election, wasn’t it?

And that’s not even the dreaded “sequestration” layoffs, which Obama broke the law to convince defense contractors to keep under wraps until after the election. Those are yet to come. The upside to living in a banana Republic with Party-dominated media is that life is full of “unexpected” surprises, to use the word that has come to dominate economic news in the Obama era.

Another round of layoffs announced on Wednesday came from Hawker Beechcraft, which announced it would close facilities in Arkansas, Arizona, and Texas, resulting in 400 jobs lost, while another 170 jobs would be cut from corporate offices in Kansas and Arkansas.

Also on the day after the election, the CEO of the Papa John’s pizza restaurant chain, John Schnatter, told a small community college audience in Florida that ObamaCare...

Forward! To mass layoffs!
    By: John Hayward
    11/8/2012 07:58 AM

RESIZE:
    AAA

Also on the day after the election, the CEO of the Papa John’s pizza restaurant chain, John Schnatter, told a small community college audience in Florida that ObamaCare would likely result in cuts to employee hours by franchise owners seeking to escape the law’s mandates by eliminating full-time positions, a move he described as “common sense” and “lose-lose.”

Schnatter also predicted ObamaCare would add between $5 million and $8 million to his business costs (which is fine, because he’s an evil rich guy who supported Mitt Romney for president, and we all know that truly patriotic job creators happily pay for increased business costs out of their own pockets) and that it would add 10 to 14 cents to the cost of his pizzas, which is a bummer, but under Obamanomics theory is totally unrelated to the process of extracting that “fair share” from idle plutocrats. Then he headed off to help out with a telethon for Hurricane Sandy victims and write the Red Cross a million-dollar check, but we all know that private charity is irrelevant, as only Big Government can save us from big storms.

The Huffington Post relays the thoughts of Fox Business Network corresponded Charlie Gasparino, who says Wall Street executives are “in mourning” after Obama’s re-election, because “they know that Wall Street is going to lay off a lot more people.” About 10,000 of them by the end of the year, in fact, if the New York state comptroller’s estimate is accurate. It’s not a big deal though, because those people are evil. Everyone knows that investment capital and consumer loans should be redistributed by selfless government agencies, not greedy bankers.

According to Gasparino, things could look up if “Republicans and Democrats happen to reach a long-term budget deal similar to Simpson-Bowles,” which could mean “the market is going to go through the roof” to “Dow 20,000, easy.” But he knows perfectly well that’s not going to happen. We’ll more likely get the usual: big tax increases right now, combined with vague promises of largely symbolic spending cuts at some indeterminate point in the future.

Once the sequestration cuts and financial industry devastation are done, the real action to watch in the job market next year will be the transition of full-time workers to part-time. That’s a very attractive option for escaping from ObamaCare and reducing payroll costs, without producing headline-grabbing mass layoffs (executives don’t like giving the impression their companies are terminally ill) or depriving operations of needed labor altogether. As a New York Times article noted in October, it’s increasingly easy for service companies (which accounted for the bulk of job creation in the last pre-election employment report) to do, using “sophisticated software that tracks the flow of customers, allowing managers to assign just enough employees to handle the anticipated demand.” It’s a trend that’s been developing for a long time, but there are now powerful incentives accelerating it.

The result “has been a bane to many workers, pushing many into poverty and forcing some onto food stamps and Medicaid. And with work schedules that change week to week, workers can find it hard to arrange child care, attend college or hold a second job.” Fortunately, there are lots of food stamps to give away here in the New Normal, and it’s likely that pleas for more extensive government-provided child care to assist America’s part-time workforce would not fall upon deaf ears.

Update: An anonymous business owner in Las Vegas told talk-radio host Kevin Wall he fired 22 of his 114 employees on the day after President Obama’s re-election because “elections have consequences” and “at the end of the day, I need to survive.” He said this was necessary to “make sure I have enough money to cover the payroll taxes and the additional health care I’m gonna have to do.”

“Well unfortunately, and most of my employees are Hispanic — I’m not gonna go into what kind of company I have, but I have mostly Hispanic employees — well unfortunately we know what happened and I can’t wait around anymore, I have to be proactive,” the businessman continued. ”I had to lay off 22 people today to make sure that my business is gonna thrive and I’m gonna be around for years to come. I have to build up that nest egg now for the taxes and regulations that are coming my way. Elections do have consequences, but so do choices. A choice you make every day has consequences and you know what, I’ve always put my employees first, but unfortunately today I have to put me and my family first, and you watch what’s gonna happen. I’m just one guy with 114 employees — well was 114 employees — watch what happens in the next six months. The Dow alone lost 314 points today. There’s a tsunami coming and if you didn’t think this election had consequences, just wait.”

The entire conversation can be heard by clicking this link.

Update: FreedomWorks has an extensive list of even more post-election layoffs resulting directly from Obama policies. Among the bigger names: Welch-Allyn, Dana Holding Corporation, Stryker, Boston Scientific, and Medtronic. The confirmed post-election jobs death toll from this list stands at 5,263 jobs, but much more are on the way, including a 5 percent cut in the huge Stryker workforce, a probably comparable reduction of Dana’s even larger staff, and talk of jobs being sent to China. The transition to part-time labor I mentioned above is also discussed.

Thanks Obama I need a Job
  • mac9 2012/11/10 02:29:02
    mac9
    +1
    Duh.......we knew that!
  • robinswebnest 2012/11/10 01:48:29
    robinswebnest
    +2
    It is already over 15%. The problem is that many people just quit looking for work. They are not counted as they are not collecting unemployement. Among minorities (you know the ones who supported obama) the unemployement figures are over 20%. And, they will get worse.
    companies cannot afford the 'taxes' in obamacare, so they will turn to temporary employees. Because they don't have to pay insurance. So, that will mean that these people will get health care for free? Nope. why? Because NOTHING IS FOR FREE. Someone is going to have to pay for it.
  • Birthpangs robinsw... 2012/11/10 02:12:44
  • robinsw... Birthpangs 2012/11/10 23:34:20
    robinswebnest
    +2
    Yes it will. I am working for a company that contracts with other companies. They already told us that this project may last through the end of the year.....but, after that? Who knows.
    Companies are not going to hire permenant employees, because of obamacare. They may hire temps, that way they won't have to pay the new 'taxes'.
    Which means more and more people will use it and no one will be paying the taxes to support it....
    I read an article that liberalism is a mental illness. This past election proves that it is true.
  • RICK 2012/11/10 00:12:15
    Other
    RICK
    +1
    Not really a surprise
  • KilrQueen 2012/11/09 21:16:00
    KilrQueen
    +2
    Obama cares so much about you people that he is jetting of to Asia now. He has no time to worry about this pettiness.
  • D Hanes 2012/11/09 20:04:31
    D Hanes
    +2
    Barry doesn't care.. he got elected. Well |I hope some of those idiots that voted for him lose their jobs and starve to death. He will never help you.!
  • Birthpangs D Hanes 2012/11/09 22:16:12
  • Jim Birthpangs 2012/11/10 08:42:16
    Jim
    +1
    Ya think! Of course he did.
  • dominic garcia 2012/11/09 18:06:41
    Other
    dominic garcia
    +4
    Not only that but, Obama has to add the jobs of the companies who did not report layoffs, before the elections at Obama's request. Obama thinks that he can hurt all the companies and get away with it. No more "Bush's fault" excuses. He has inherited his own mess. Doctors are going to quit. People are going to quit working to get more of Obama's help. The Country will continue to get divided as critical problems arise from his policy's dominos effect. More people on welfare. More people on unemployment. The companies are going to revolt big time. Obama is just not going to have it easy.
  • Racefish dominic... 2012/11/09 18:36:41
    Racefish
    +4
    Oh hush. You're just spreading facts now.
  • dominic... Racefish 2012/11/09 19:45:53
    dominic garcia
    +4
    Spread the truth around. Obama plays very dirty, funny thing is, he uses our dollars!!!!!!! http://patdollard.com/2012/10...
  • HOMBRE 2012/11/09 18:03:12
    HOMBRE
  • Birthpangs HOMBRE 2012/11/09 18:09:46
  • Dave**Gay for Girls** 2012/11/09 18:01:52
  • Birthpangs Dave**G... 2012/11/09 18:07:42
  • Dave**G... Birthpangs 2012/11/09 18:13:08
  • Pedalpu... Dave**G... 2012/11/10 03:25:04
    Pedalpusher
    +2
    Beat me to it! I was going to say that none of them have jobs, they voted for him to get the money from us that he keeps promising!
  • DS in Oak Ridge NC 2012/11/09 17:53:17
    Other
    DS in Oak Ridge NC
    +1
    Welcome to "Recovery Winter"... pick up free mind-altering drugs at the nearest Federal Bldg
  • Birthpangs DS in O... 2012/11/09 17:55:14
  • tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA 2012/11/09 17:53:00
    tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA
    +4
    The reality of this bad law will soon be apparent to all.
  • Howler 2012/11/09 17:50:55 (edited)
    Howler
    +4
    All in the strategy of the left-wing Progressive "nudge" to condition the mind towards a major favorability by the people to look to the government to save them - simply because there is about to be no other choice...

Yet in the midst of it all, the government MUST destroy what has been first.

The Cloward-Piven strategy has been beautifully executed by the Obama admin with major help from the dumb masses, aka, useful idiots.
  • Birthpangs Howler 2012/11/09 17:54:10
  • Howler Birthpangs 2012/11/09 17:57:08
    Howler
    +2
    Sure he will...and he will back out of it, and he will get away with it...Benghazi and Staten Island has shown that he can get away with anything as along as he falsely promises stuff to those whom he disgracefully exploits politically.
  • Birthpangs 2012/11/09 17:39:19
  • Howler Birthpangs 2012/11/09 17:54:03
    Howler
    +2
    We will all suffer as a result of this election...I must say I will suffer with a smile on my face as I see those who thought Obama was their savior actually take them down to nothing along with me.

I know it sounds heartless...I intend it to.
  • Pedalpu... Howler 2012/11/10 03:31:21
    Pedalpusher
    +2
    I'm damn sure not going to let the ones that I know forget all the things they said about how good he was "Give him another chance, he has to finish it to make it work!" Right!!! Just like they had to pass Obama care with out even reading it to see what's in it!!
  • momma-o... Birthpangs 2012/11/09 18:08:46
    momma-on-the-hit-list
    +1
    We need to have pity, the suffering is for everyone. The people who were duped to thinking he was their savior have the greatest need of the real Savior.
  • Birthpangs momma-o... 2012/11/09 19:14:51
  • momma-o... Birthpangs 2012/11/09 20:16:54
    momma-on-the-hit-list
    +1
    I know, but just think if they were taught like some of us "old schooled" folks. I was raised in my Grandparents home (upper apt) Boy if my parents got "to hip" with their rebellious foolish thinking they got a whooping just like we did, lol These things have to be taught instilled, they are not pre programmed in a new born individual.
  • Birthpangs momma-o... 2012/11/09 20:21:24

2014/04/17 06:57:51