California's Taxes Are Affecting The Wrong People: Is Arnold The Problem?

socallocal 2009/04/01 16:59:17
Yes, Governor Arnold needs to get the boot!
No, Governor Arnold isn't the problem
Increasing taxes in California amid financial problems...
Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger believes that Americans in California are responsible for shouldering the $42 billion dollar deficit. With sales and income tax increasing as well as rising vehicle licensing fees, California taxpayers on average are expected to pay an extra $1100 this year. The only major financial breaks are going to large businesses saving them thousands. Is Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger responsible for making people here in California suffer even more?

• HILLBILLY 2009/04/01 17:04:31
    HILLBILLY
    +3
    ARNOLD WOULD HAVE MADE A GOOD LIBERAL.

• Lady 2009/04/29 19:53:35 (edited)
    No, Governor Arnold isn't the problem
    Lady
    not to be mean but I don't care much b/c I live on the other side of the country
  • Jack 2009/04/28 18:35:01
    Jack
    In 1987 stock prices went down 20 per cent in two months, then went down 23 per cent in ONE DAY. Financial panic ! But Reagan had cut income taxes 30 per cent and the economy was improving. There was no recession let alone a depression. In 1929 stock prices went down and then started to recover. But Hoover, Roosevelt, and Truman plus a Democrat Congress went to work. The result was a deep depression that lasted two decades. To benefit taxpayers, the national economy, and the nation we need tax reductions across the board, corporate, individual, and all. For example Reagan took over with a stagnant economy and 14 per cent annual inflation. He cut taxes sharply. At the end of his administration government revenues had INCREASED 75 per cent. We especially need to take the burden of taxation off small business men who are hiring and paying employees and providing goods and services at decent prices to the public. They have often sacrificed and worked to reach an income level of a few hundreds of thousands and now are able to expand, helping all of us. But members of our government have no understanding of this, how free enterprise works.
  • luke-jones 2009/04/20 19:03:21 (edited)
    No, Governor Arnold isn't the problem
    luke-jones
    Arnold would 'never' make California suffer.
  • Sodahead's Boring. 2009/04/08 22:37:39
    No, Governor Arnold isn't the problem
    Sodahead's Boring.
    Isn't that generally the way it's done to try and reverse a debt?

And it's not like he single-handedly passed it.
  • Lexie 2009/04/06 23:24:47
    Lexie
    isn't what we should be doing right now.

The debt needs to be paid, but not when we're in a recession. Wait for the economy to get better, then deal with it. If that means raising taxes, so be it. We need to pay the debt back soon, but now isn't the time to do it.
  • jonny man 2009/04/06 01:51:26
    No, Governor Arnold isn't the problem
    jonny man
    the problem is everybody, its start high up in the government n goes to the average joe on the street.
  • duck 2009/04/04 03:46:44 (edited)
    No, Governor Arnold isn't the problem
    duck
    ok what a stupid question
    1st of is not a person, is the Taxes, who raises the Taxes??
    arnold??? what he is no a legislator, who is in control of the state senate??? the democrats, then again is not them but what they are doing, rasing taxes in time of crisisssss! wth!!!!!!!
    hey i got an idea, why don't you REFORM!, there is a lot of money spent unwisely
    reform the legislation!
    about arnol i could care less, he's a liberal too
  • Queen B 2009/04/03 15:30:50
    Queen B
    Once again that is what you get for electing an Austrian body-builder/action movie star! WTF did anyone in California think he was going to do? Did you actually think based on his past occupations he would know how to govern? Look you got what you "paid" for - another celebrity playing a governor! Boot his ass out of office!
  • tdgymgirl 2009/04/03 13:00:13
    No, Governor Arnold isn't the problem
    tdgymgirl
    Idc I don't live in TX
  • Budge 2009/04/03 09:15:25
    Budge
    +1
    This may only make matters worse. Maybe some drastic measures need to be taken in the way of cutting spending.
  • Will 2009/04/03 00:00:37
    No, Governor Arnold isn't the problem
    Will
    +2
    No Arnold is a republican. That is trickle down economics or Reganomics. It
  • Luis 2009/04/02 17:10:44 (edited)
    No, Governor Arnold isn't the problem
    Luis
    Honestly I am an out and out liberal but I don't see that Arnold is doing things to make the economy worse. He has a few bad ideas like changing the pensions of teachers ,fire fighters and police to DC pensions. The type like many of us have in a 401K. They have pensions that won't evaporate because they are not invested in stocks. So they would have to be crazy to let that happen.

The problem is not Arnold but several things. Prop 13 made it so property taxes can only be no more then 2%. What happens is many wealthy areas are not paying enough to support the schools and infrastructure around them. Poor areas are paying less. When a new development is built they now use a Mello-Roose tax that allows a seven year tax to create schools roads ect. The schools lost a lot of funding and real estate in California became overpriced, because the taxes did not keep the home owners in line with what they could afford.

Then there is the Lottery. Little if any of this money that was earmarked for education goes to education. Much of it goes for roads and other needs. Next was the idiotic proposition on the ballot to make electricity competitive. This sounded like a great idea but the public did not understand that power is a limited resource. So you had Edison and PGE selling power to star...

'''

'

'

'

'

'
    &

Then there is the Lottery. Little if any of this money that was earmarked for education goes to education. Much of it goes for roads and other needs. Next was the idiotic proposition on the ballot to make electricity competitive. This sounded like a great idea but the public did not understand that power is a limited resource. So you had Edison and PGE selling power to start up companies who since, they had no means to distribute it to the customers, sold it back to Edison for more money. This caused a economic crash. Grey Davis took the heat but it happened under Wilson.

Arnold's big problem is he is a Democrat in Republican clothing. He just needs to become a Democrat and he would fair much better. The Democrat's in the assembly are somewhat crazy. They are angry at Arnold for running against Grey Davis and knocking a legitimately elected governor out of office on a recall election. So they won't work with him and he is a moderate.

Much of what he says is the same as Obama. The Democrats need to see that he is a moderate and work with him.

He did raise the sales tax but so what? It won't effect anyone except those buying cars and he raised the fee for registering a vehicle. These are things that got Grey Davis recalled.

The people of Orange County, the San fernando Valley and parts of San Diego county are so right winged they think paying tax is the worst thing they could do. Yet many of these millionaires are just stingy greedy people. They won't pay but expect the government to run on fumes. Actually in California the tank is empty and they borrowed to keep it running.

California is the 5th largest economy in the World. If it were a Country it would be 5th or 6th. It takes money to run a government that size. The wealthy folks of Ranch Bernardo and Dove Canyon,Coto de Casa and Pelican Bay, can afford thousands to belong to a country club and

golf but pay taxes so that people in cities like Indio or Inglewood could have streets they could drive on that were not so ruined you could not ride a bike on them, Never. They won't help with education their answer is build more prisons,Tent prisons in the desert.

They don't see that by education we create a better society and reduce crime.

The fact is Arnold is being attacked on both sides the conservatives think he is a liberal and the liberals think he is a conservative. He is neither. He is a Moderate.

I for one will vote for Arnold again and I never vote Republican, except for Nixon and that was a horrible mistake that I did not repeat. I wanted Bobby Kennedy and got Mc Govern who couldn't even stand up for his VP Eagleton, who only suffered from depression. Big disappointment but not as bad as that crook,liar and just plain evil, Nixon.
    If I was Arnold I would tell these people of California go F@&%K your self and make movies. The job of Governor does not pay much compared to movies.
  • Jimbo 2009/04/02 15:16:56
    Jimbo
    +1
    ...are the result of decades of liberal politics and catering to illegal aliens. The Governator is as RINO (Republican in Name Only). He is on the right track with cutting business taxes in order to attract new investment, but your state also has to curb spending tenfold. The assembly is going to have to say "No" to handout after handout, especially to illegal aliens. It's time for the federal government to close up the border with Mexico and place troops there to defend border patrol agents from being fired upon by the Mexican military, (an act of war if I'm not mistaken).
  • Luis Jimbo 2009/04/02 17:28:32 (edited)
    Luis
    I think you are a bit over the top on this. I have been to Baja Mexico several times this year and there were no military firing on our border patrol. There were not even gangs there that were visible. While there are organized Mexican mobsters running drug cartels and killing mostly Mexicans, They are Mexicos problem and, our problems do not stem only from illegal immigration. They stem from many sources. The Utilities fiasco voted in during Wilson's tenure and blamed on Grey Davis was probably the worst. The lack of taxes to support the areas of growth and new home infrastructure as well as old areas like Villa Park, are another. Arnold jumped in to eat all the sh*t Grey Davis was going to have to eat.
    The liberal Senate in the California do not help matters by not trying to find a solution and the conservatives are so far right they are just plain worthless. The only moderate is Arnold. Here is some advice for Arnold..."Run while you still have legs!!!!"
  • Jimbo Luis 2009/04/03 20:48:17
    Jimbo
    Moderates are just liberals afraid to identify themselves. The shootings from the Mexican military that I heard about were in Texas and New Mexico. I just assumed they had the same policy where illegals were crossing into California. However illegal aliens are casuing a drain everywhere in this country including where I live in Indiana. I have stood in the emergency room of Indianapolis's county hospital and seen for myself the throngs of illiegals clogging up the system coming in for a sniffle. Closing up the borders would help all of us.
  • Just MEH....Piwan 2009/04/02 15:03:57
    Just MEH....Piwan
    Politicians mouths are like assholes...the longer they are open the more shit comes out!!!
  • ♥ tommie kaulitz ♥ 2009/04/02 14:10:32
    No, Governor Arnold isn't the problem
    ♥ tommie kaulitz ♥
    no i dont think that governor arnold is the problem cause the taxes was getting higher and higher before he stepped in so i dont think so and whoever came up with this its stupid (sorry)
  • Luis ♥ tommi... 2009/04/02 17:32:18
    Luis
    While I agree with you on the fact it is not Arnold's fault,I do believe the question is valid.
  • ♥ tommi... Luis 2009/09/09 18:25:37
    ♥ tommie kaulitz ♥
    thanks
    i know right
  • KJMAX 2009/04/02 12:57:18
    KJMAX
    Frankly, I don't give a damn. I'm in Michigan and we're suffering the most right now. Californians drive more foreign cars than most of our other states. Let them fight their own battles.
  • Luis KJMAX 2009/04/02 17:57:15
    Luis
    While it's not your fault that GM,Ford and Chrysler did not build safe or gas friendly cars don't expect California to buy that junk. I had 18 Americans cars with a life expectancy of two years at most.I won't mention the 55 Plymouth or 62 Bel air. One was a car that ran on steam and the other never ran. 1965 Chevy Malibu leaked water into the car when it rained right through closed windows engine blew in three months or less. 1964 Oldsmobile 98 star-fire broke down on every date and finally caught fire. Ford Pinto... Need I say more.. engine blew up in three months despite changing oil. Water pump went and it took about three minutes to blow the engine. Another Chevy rusted from the top down in California! Grand Torino fried transmission in one month fixed it and it fried again. Left on the side of the road for dead. I bought my first Toyota for 300 bucks from a friend and it ran forever. I bought a Truck and it was great and the service people did not rip me off. Got a Nissan truck in 87 and it is still running perfect. I had a new 93 Camry and it was simply wonderful not one problem ever. Bought a Chevy Blazer and it would slide on the road and fail to stop with new tires at ten miles an hour.The window on the driver side fell down for no reason and it could not pass smog insp...
    '
    While it's not your fault that GM,Ford and Chrysler did not build safe or gas friendly cars don't expect California to buy that junk. I had 18 Americans cars with a life expectancy of two years at most.I won't mention the 55 Plymouth or 62 Bel air. One was a car that ran on steam and the other never ran. 1965 Chevy Malibu leaked water into the car when it rained right through closed windows engine blew in three months or less. 1964 Oldsmobile 98 star-fire broke down on every date and finally caught fire. Ford Pinto... Need I say more.. engine blew up in three months despite changing oil. Water pump went and it took about three minutes to blow the engine. Another Chevy rusted from the top down in California! Grand Torino fried transmission in one month fixed it and it fried again. Left on the side of the road for dead. I bought my first Toyota for 300 bucks from a friend and it ran forever. I bought a Truck and it was great and the service people did not rip me off. Got a Nissan truck in 87 and it is still running perfect. I had a new 93 Camry and it was simply wonderful not one problem ever. Bought a Chevy Blazer and it would slide on the road and fail to stop with new tires at ten miles an hour.The window on the driver side fell down for no reason and it could not pass smog inspection at all. My Honda was OK and fun but I went back to a 98 Camry and sold it for a good price when I was done. I bought a Jaguar X-type a Ford product. The blind leading the blinder was what my mechanic called it. Thank God it was under warranty. Replaced gas tank twice. Replaced transmission once and the battery leaked, aso replaced under warranty. This is with constant maintenance. The engine is a Taurus block. Now it leaks some fluid. No thanks my next car will be a Toyota. When you guys stop building crap and that should be soon,maybe 60 days, I might buy an American car but not likely. My sister does own a Saturn and while not the best car I have driven it was OK. So GM wants to dump the only thing they got. I say their brain dead. In 60 days we will see if they shut off all life support.
    The problem with Michigan is you can't put all your eggs in one basket. Like Pittsburgh found out when the steel mills closed but they rebuilt and did something else. The same will happen in Michigan.
  • John Wayne 2009/04/02 06:16:42
    No, Governor Arnold isn't the problem
    John Wayne
    +1
    Arnold has been trying to cut the budget for years. The general assembly of CA is the one who should take the blame. I'm sure they were just as quick to put the blame on him.
  • Tessaprn 2009/04/02 05:49:08
    Tessaprn
    He is a politician so that makes him part of the problem.
  • Joves the Instigator 2009/04/02 05:38:13
    Joves the Instigator
    Hey it is the usual government solution. All governemtn wether state/local or, Federal think the people should pay for their wrecklessness. If we as common people ran our finances like government we would be in jail for fraud or, whatever they could hang on us. But for them it is OK because, they arent really the ones suffering under the burden.
  • t.u.r.o.k 2009/04/02 05:33:26
    t.u.r.o.k
    my home is in germany....hehe
  • Luis t.u.r.o.k 2009/04/02 17:59:21
    Luis
    Home of the Nazi Party? Hitler did a lot for you guys. Ruined your reputation forever. It's a shame but your not the only people who looked away while evil prospered. We had Bush.
  • Sodahea... Luis 2009/04/08 22:36:04
    Sodahead's Boring.
    That was completely unnecessary.
  • Bippsy 2009/04/02 05:11:37
    Bippsy
    Make Mexico pay it. It belongs to them now.
  • PInC 2009/04/02 02:11:33
    PInC
    ...are symptomatic of a liberal government that welcomes illegal aliens and pays the tab for schools, medical care, over-crowded jails, and massive pay-outs because of people who put nothing into the state coffers. If liberals and especially Hollywood love illegals breaking the law so much, then they deserve the consequences. As for the rest of the country having to pay to keep those who have contempt for us, American law, and ethics, I say ... go hang yourself. I don't support your ideology and sure won't support your hard-headed socialist practices.
  • loudelk99 2009/04/02 01:32:40
    loudelk99
    Is a massive mistake.
  • moomoof 2009/04/01 23:46:46
    moomoof
    well they voted for him twice...so now what ?
    well the problem could be him or more
    i dont know the politics of cali so i reserve any judgement
  • Congrats Obama! 2009/04/01 23:32:21
    Congrats Obama!
    Arnold should be doing what he does best. Making movies.
  • Nadrasta 2009/04/01 22:22:57
    Nadrasta
    I really can't say that Arnold should get the boot because i live in New york not California but paying an extra 1100 each year does seem ridiculous for me
  • Gregaj7 2009/04/01 22:20:10
    One has to comprehend the "money" system and who owns it before this question can adequately be answered.
  • Common Sense 2009/04/01 21:47:10
    Common Sense
    I just don't understand how California is drowning financially. We have the 10th largest economy in the world, and we are bankrupt!!! I want to know where all of my tax money is going. Forget my tax money, where is all of my parking ticket money going?
  • Luis Common ... 2009/04/02 18:07:59 (edited)
    Luis
    +1
    I thought it was the 5th. But hey the other nations are bankrupt too. Including the USA and Iceland, China is hurting.
    California's problems all stemmed from a con game in the Utilities where the people voted in competitive energy. The problem was these guys bought the energy from Edison and PGE and then sold it back to them at high prices causing the utilities to go up and the whole Ponzi scheme crashed. This made California have to bail out the Utility companies. It happened under Wilson and Grey Davis stepped right into the mess. Arnold to the rescue and now he is in a pit of sh*t. People love to blame it on illegal immigration but all of these people from mexico pay taxes and social security they will never collect. So that is BS. There are many Gangs here from there but most of them are Americans of Mexican descent. Actually most of California is Mexican because it was Mexico and these families have been here for centuries. By the way many of them don't like the illegals here at all. They often are the most vocal about it. It makes all Mexicans look like hillbillies. I know I am Puerto Rican but I get lumped into it and I don't like those loud Brooklyn Puerto Ricans who can't act like civilized humans. They don't do that in Puerto Rico. The same is true of Southern Mexico. Nortinos tend to be cowboys. So they act like our rednecks hollering and getting drunk while listening to their music they love. I call it Polka with Western influence.
  • Common ... Luis 2009/04/02 18:18:52
    Common Sense
    It could be the 5th now, since other economies are dropping like flies. Thanks for the info!
  • cf 2009/04/01 21:44:42
    No, Governor Arnold isn't the problem
    cf
    Local business are leaving California going either overseas or to neighboring states. They need to do what ever is necessary to keep business there and the people employed other wise it could get worse.

It is definitely a bad time to be a politician right now.
  • cjs810 2009/04/01 21:03:24
    No, Governor Arnold isn't the problem
    cjs810
    +2
    obama is the PROBLEM
  • Luis cjs810 2009/04/02 18:14:34
    Luis
    +1
    That is a stupid remark. Hardly.

2014/04/19 15:00:54