BREAKING: PRESIDENT OBAMA ENDORSES MARRIAGE EQUALITY!

ProudProgressive 2012/05/09 19:20:20

BREAKING: Obama Embraces Marriage Equality
By Igor Volsky
May 9, 2012

President Obama has come out in support of marriage equality for gay and lesbian people in an interview with ABC News’ Robin Roberts this afternoon:

OBAMA: I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don’t Ask Don’t Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married.

His endorsement comes less than a week after Vice President Joe Biden embraced the issue during an appearance on Meet The Press and a day after North Carolina banned marriage equality and civil unions in its state constitution. During the interview, Obama stressed that he personally affirms same-sex marriage, but says the matter should be left to the individual states.

The president last made news on the freedom to marry 560 days ago, when he told progressive journalists at the White House that he is evolving towards greater acceptance.

Obama’s remarks today bring him full circle to his position in 1996, when he was running for the Illinois state Senate. In response to a questionnaire from Chicago’s Outlines gay newspaper, he proclaimed, “I favor legalizing same-sex marriages, and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages.” You can thank President Obama for completing his evolution here.

Read More: http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/05/09/481147/ob...

• Brother Bo Mark 2012/05/11 00:13:24
    Brother Bo
    In other circles, I carry the title of "Reverend" in a church that allows for same sex marriage. We are admonished to "Do what is right", but we are to decide within ourselves, what is right. I will not perform a same sex marriage. I will perform a Commitment Ceremony if asked, but I will not name it a marriage.
  • Mark Brother Bo 2012/05/11 00:18:29
    Mark
    Now, I'm really confused. You're a reverend in a church that allows same-sex marriage, but you're against same-sex marriage? Doesn't that mean you're against your own church?
  • Brother Bo Mark 2012/05/11 00:45:51
    Brother Bo
    No, As I said, they leave it up to our own inner beliefs to decide what is right.
  • wildbill Brother Bo 2012/05/11 01:11:52
    wildbill
    So because there are fewer gays and lesbians than there are Anti gay voters he will LOSE votes by making this statement.

He knows that. So you agree that he is NOT PANDERING for votes.

Both Vice President Biden and Dich Cheney agree that same sex marriage should be law.
  • Brother Bo wildbill 2012/05/11 16:04:41
    Brother Bo
    This whole subject is just a distraction by the Obamites to keep attention off the economy and jobs. He doesn't give a rat's backside about you or your rights or your sexual preference. He just wants your vote and will say whatever he thinks will help him get it.
  • Grandbr... Brother Bo 2012/05/11 15:55:37
    Grandbrother
    +1
    Yeah, and back in the 50's, everyone had the same rights too - blacks had just as much right to sit in the front of the bus as long as they were white when they did so. And women had the same right as men did to vote as long as they had a penis when they filled in the ballot. Im with ya' - what's all the hubbub about?!?
  • Brother Bo Grandbr... 2012/05/11 16:12:35
    Brother Bo
    +1
    An Anecdote:
    I recall as a child in the late 50's, my mother and sister and I got on a bus. A colored man got on after us (people were colored or negro back then) and he was told by the driver to get to the back. I asked my mother why he had to get to the back of the bus and she replied that some people think that colored folks are bad and have to sit in the back. I looked back over my seat to the back of the bus and told my mother, "If they are that bad, I want 'em in the front of the bus where I can keep an eye on 'em." I just didn't understand Jim Crow.
  • lee 2012/05/10 22:23:14
    lee
    +2
    it was only a matter of time...

equality will ALWAYS find its way to the surface.

that's why democracy works.
  • Michael The Archangel 2012/05/10 22:20:02
    Michael The Archangel
    Zion or United States, May 10, 2012

What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 1:38)

THE EAST WIND OF DESTRUCTION.

Gay marriage: How Americans, like Obama, are ‘evolving’ on the issue
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/t...

This people of this country and all the nations of the gentiles and/or of the world that suffer these iniquities and abominations to be, should fear and tremble because they have no idea of the sudden destruction that awaits them unless they speedily repent and amend their ways.

The commandments of God are not suggestions or merely good ideas; they are the constitution of eternal life. And they are non negotiable and no amount of democratic support for wickedness will change that fact anywhere, at any time and in any place. For it is written that the LORD cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance and that even if the heavens and the earth shall pass away, but that the word of the LROD shall not pass away and that it shall be fulfilled. And it is also written that if the people sow filthiness they shall reap the EAST WIND, which brings about imminent sudden destruction in the form of the sword, plagues, famine and pestilence among other grievous and desolating judgments and scourges. ...

Zion or United States, May 10, 2012

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 1:38)

THE EAST WIND OF DESTRUCTION.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/t...

The commandments of God are not suggestions or merely good ideas; they are the constitution of eternal life. And they are non negotiable and no amount of democratic support for wickedness will change that fact anywhere, at any time and in any place. For it is written that the LORD cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance and that even if the heavens and the earth shall pass away, but that the word of the LROD shall not pass away and that it shall be fulfilled. And it is also written that if the people sow filthiness they shall reap the EAST WIND, which brings about imminent sudden destruction in the form of the sword, plagues, famine and pestilence among other grievous and desolating judgments and scourges. Here is the law and the testimony:

For behold, the Lord hath said: I will not succor my people in the day of their transgression; but I will hedge up their ways that they prosper not; and their doings shall be as a stumbling block before them.

And again, he saith: If my people shall sow filthiness they shall reap the chaff thereof in the whirlwind; and the effect thereof is poison. And again he saith: If my people shall sow filthiness they shall reap the east wind, which bringeth immediate destruction.

And now, behold, the promise of the Lord is fulfilled, and ye are smitten and afflicted.

But if ye will turn to the Lord with full purpose of heart, and put your trust in him, and serve him with all diligence of mind, if ye do this, he will, according to his own will and pleasure, deliver you out of bondage.

(Book of Mormon | Mosiah 7:29 - 33)

And it shall come to pass that I will smite this my people with sore afflictions, yea, with famine and with pestilence; and I will cause that they shall howl all the day long. Yea, and I will cause that they shall have burdens lashed upon their backs; and they shall be driven before like a dumb ass.

And it shall come to pass that I will send forth hail among them, and it shall smite them; and they shall also be smitten with the east wind; and insects shall pester their land also, and devour their grain. And they shall be smitten with a great pestilence—and all this will I do because of their iniquities and abominations.

And it shall come to pass that except they repent I will utterly destroy them from off the face of the earth; yet they shall leave a record behind them, and I will preserve them for other nations which shall possess the land; yea, even this will I do that I may discover the abominations of this people to other nations.

(Book of Mormon | Mosiah 12:4 - 8)

Now it is not common that the voice of the people desireth anything contrary to that which is right; but it is common for the lesser part of the people to desire that which is not right; therefore this shall ye observe and make it your law—to do your business by the voice of the people.

And if the time comes that the voice of the people doth choose iniquity, then is the time that the judgments of God will come upon you; yea, then is the time he will visit you with great destruction even as he has hitherto visited this land.

(Book of Mormon | Mosiah 29:26 - 27)

HEARKEN, O ye people of my church, saith the voice of him who dwells on high, and whose eyes are upon all men; yea, verily I say: Hearken ye people from afar; and ye that are upon the islands of the sea, listen together. For verily the voice of the Lord is unto all men, and there is none to escape; and there is no eye that shall not see, neither ear that shall not hear, neither heart that shall not be penetrated. And the rebellious shall be pierced with much sorrow; for their iniquities shall be spoken upon the housetops, and their secret acts shall be revealed.

And the voice of warning shall be unto all people, by the mouths of my disciples, whom I have chosen in these last days. And they shall go forth and none shall stay them, for I the Lord have commanded them.

Behold, this is mine authority, and the authority of my servants, and my preface unto the book of my commandments, which I have given them to publish unto you, O inhabitants of the earth.

Wherefore, fear and tremble, O ye people, for what I the Lord have decreed in them shall be fulfilled. And verily I say unto you, that they who go forth, bearing these tidings unto the inhabitants of the earth, to them is power given to seal both on earth and in heaven, the unbelieving and rebellious; Yea, verily, to seal them up unto the day when the wrath of God shall be poured out upon the wicked without measure— Unto the day when the Lord shall come to recompense unto every man according to his work, and measure to every man according to the measure which he has measured to his fellow man.

Wherefore the voice of the Lord is unto the ends of the earth, that all that will hear may hear: Prepare ye, prepare ye for that which is to come, for the Lord is nigh; And the anger of the Lord is kindled, and his sword is bathed in heaven, and it shall fall upon the inhabitants of the earth. And the arm of the Lord shall be revealed; and the day cometh that they who will not hear the voice of the Lord, neither the voice of his servants, neither give heed to the words of the prophets and apostles, shall be cut off from among the people; For they have strayed from mine ordinances, and have broken mine everlasting covenant; They seek not the Lord to establish his righteousness, but every man walketh in his own way, and after the image of his own god, whose image is in the likeness of the world, and whose substance is that of an idol, which waxeth old and shall perish in Babylon, even Babylon the great, which shall fall.

Wherefore, I the Lord, knowing the calamity which should come upon the inhabitants of the earth, called upon my servant Joseph Smith, Jun., and spake unto him from heaven, and gave him commandments; And also gave commandments to others, that they should proclaim these things unto the world; and all this that it might be fulfilled, which was written by the prophets— The weak things of the world shall come forth and break down the mighty and strong ones, that man should not counsel his fellow man, neither trust in the arm of flesh— But that every man might speak in the name of God the Lord, even the Savior of the world; That faith also might increase in the earth; That mine everlasting covenant might be established; That the fulness of my gospel might be proclaimed by the weak and the simple unto the ends of the world, and before kings and rulers.

Behold, I am God and have spoken it; these commandments are of me, and were given unto my servants in their weakness, after the manner of their language, that they might come to understanding. And inasmuch as they erred it might be made known; And inasmuch as they sought wisdom they might be instructed; And inasmuch as they sinned they might be chastened, that they might repent; And inasmuch as they were humble they might be made strong, and blessed from on high, and receive knowledge from time to time. And after having received the record of the Nephites, yea, even my servant Joseph Smith, Jun., might have power to translate through the mercy of God, by the power of God, the Book of Mormon.

And also those to whom these commandments were given, might have power to lay the foundation of this church, and to bring it forth out of obscurity and out of darkness, the only true and living church upon the face of the whole earth, with which I, the Lord, am well pleased, speaking unto the church collectively and not individually— For I the Lord cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance; Nevertheless, he that repents and does the commandments of the Lord shall be forgiven; And he that repents not, from him shall be taken even the light which he has received; for my Spirit shall not always strive with man, saith the Lord of Hosts.

And again, verily I say unto you, O inhabitants of the earth: I the Lord am willing to make these things known unto all flesh; For I am no respecter of persons, and will that all men shall know that the day speedily cometh; the hour is not yet, but is nigh at hand, when peace shall be taken from the earth, and the devil shall have power over his own dominion. And also the Lord shall have power over his saints, and shall reign in their midst, and shall come down in judgment upon Idumea, or the world.

Search these commandments, for they are true and faithful, and the prophecies and promises which are in them shall all be fulfilled. What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same. For behold, and lo, the Lord is God, and the Spirit beareth record, and the record is true, and the truth abideth forever and ever. Amen.

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 1:1 - 39)

These things I say not of myself but as the LORD has spoken he shall also fulfill. Therefore, as one having authority, I now seal up the testimony and bind up the law among the Lord’s disciples and I do it I the sacred name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Attentively yours from an unworthy servant in the hands of Christ

Miguel Angel Tinoco Rodriguez

Behold, I sent you out to testify and warn the people, and it becometh every man who hath been warned to warn his neighbor. Therefore, they are left without excuse, and their sins are upon their own heads.

He that seeketh me early shall find me, and shall not be forsaken. Therefore, tarry ye, and labor diligently, that you may be perfected in your ministry to go forth among the Gentiles for the last time, as many as the mouth of the Lord shall name, to bind up the law and seal up the testimony, and to prepare the saints for the hour of judgment which is to come; That their souls may escape the wrath of God, the desolation of abomination which awaits the wicked, both in this world and in the world to come.

Verily, I say unto you, let those who are not the first elders continue in the vineyard until the mouth of the Lord shall call them, for their time is not yet come; their garments are not clean from the blood of this generation. Abide ye in the liberty wherewith ye are made free; entangle not yourselves in sin, but let your hands be clean, until the Lord comes.

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 88:81 - 86)
  • Buoyant... Michael... 2012/05/11 08:08:23
    Buoyant Leadraft
    I see you cut and paste the same crap on every SodaHead post you visit.
  • Michael... Buoyant... 2012/05/11 17:16:06
    Michael The Archangel
    IT IS NOT CRAP, I am posting to warn crap of its final fate an dI am gathereing in bundles as we speak sop they can be identified and burned as chaff before the fire.

Therefore, let the wheat and the tares grow together until the harvest is fully ripe; then ye shall first gather out the wheat from among the tares, and after the gathering of the wheat, behold and lo, the tares are bound in bundles, and the field remaineth to be burned.

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 86:7)

And again I say unto you, the Spirit saith: Behold, the ax is laid at the root of the tree; therefore every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit shall be hewn down and cast into the fire, yea, a fire which cannot be consumed, even an unquenchable fire. Behold, and remember, the Holy One hath spoken it. And now my beloved brethren, I say unto you, can ye withstand these sayings; yea, can ye lay aside these things, and trample the Holy One under your feet; yea, can ye be puffed up in the pride of your hearts; yea, will ye still persist in the wearing of costly apparel and setting your hearts upon the vain things of the world, upon your riches? Yea, will ye persist in supposing that ye are better one than another; yea, will ye persist in the persecution of your brethren, who humble themselves and do walk afte...

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 86:7)

And again I say unto you, the Spirit saith: Behold, the ax is laid at the root of the tree; therefore every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit shall be hewn down and cast into the fire, yea, a fire which cannot be consumed, even an unquenchable fire. Behold, and remember, the Holy One hath spoken it. And now my beloved brethren, I say unto you, can ye withstand these sayings; yea, can ye lay aside these things, and trample the Holy One under your feet; yea, can ye be puffed up in the pride of your hearts; yea, will ye still persist in the wearing of costly apparel and setting your hearts upon the vain things of the world, upon your riches? Yea, will ye persist in supposing that ye are better one than another; yea, will ye persist in the persecution of your brethren, who humble themselves and do walk after the holy order of God, wherewith they have been brought into this church, having been sanctified by the Holy Spirit, and they do bring forth works which are meet for repentance—Yea, and will you persist in turning your backs upon the poor, and the needy, and in withholding your substance from them?And finally, all ye that will persist in your wickedness, I say unto you that these are they who shall be hewn down and cast into the fire except they speedily repent.

(Book of Mormon | Alma 5:52 - 56)
  • jimmy d 2012/05/10 20:13:49
    jimmy d
    +1
    He wasn't sincere in the least with his delivery in the interview. He said it through his teeth. Any intelligent person would know what he's up to here as he received a cool million bucks about 90 minutes after his announcement for his campaign. He can be bought and sold easily the whore that he is!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see the deal he strikes for us with Russia!!
  • JosephTruth 2012/05/10 20:10:41
    JosephTruth
    +4
    Is love not love? love love
    The bible also says that you shouldn't get your haircut, you shouldn't get tattooed, you shouldn't have sex before marriage, but do most people do all of these? Yes. I am a believer in god, a god who loves and cherishes love. Jesus accepts all; if you fear gay marriage, your church doesn't have to marry homosexuals. Simple as that. If you believe that you are a true Christian and say gays have no rights, you're one from hell. A devil’s advocate. I wish to have a beautiful family, with a wife, why shouldn't gays wish the same with their partners? Tell me.
  • nofrills JosephT... 2012/05/11 04:07:26
    nofrills
    gays should have the right to be wrong..so let them do what they wish for..and they are adults to know of the consequences..SO BE IT..who cares??
  • MayaAng... JosephT... 2012/05/11 19:29:33
    MayaAngelou0524
    Thank you so much for this. You are so right.
  • JosephT... MayaAng... 2012/05/11 19:31:28 (edited)
    JosephTruth
    +4
    It was originally my post on Facebook to a kid who said gays are a disgrace. I changed many peoples mind with that post.
  • MayaAng... JosephT... 2012/05/11 19:35:00
    MayaAngelou0524
    +1
    That's good. My friends are very close-minded because we are in a single gender program and two of my friends are bi. Everyone's sorta rude to them and it drives me up the wall. And when the discussion comes up, they say the most ignorant things! I hate it. I think I might show them this. :)
  • MayaAngelou0524 2012/05/10 19:56:16
    MayaAngelou0524
    I think this is great! I mean, why shouldn't they be allowed to get married? What happened to equal rights and all that bull?
  • jimmy d MayaAng... 2012/05/10 20:16:25
    jimmy d
    +2
    It's immoral, not natural. Why can't same sex folks procreate?
  • MayaAng... jimmy d 2012/05/10 20:20:14
    MayaAngelou0524
    +1
    There are some straight couples who can't have children. Their marriages and relationships are not validated or defined by that. And who are you to judge immorality... God?
  • Mark jimmy d 2012/05/10 22:45:21
    Mark
    +1
    What does procreation have to do with love? Are you saying that the only reason for people to love each other is to have children?
  • nofrills jimmy d 2012/05/11 04:08:47
    nofrills
    but they dont care about 'moral or health issue' only their immediate pleasure..So not everyone understand this..
  • JosephT... jimmy d 2012/05/11 19:28:36
    JosephTruth
    +1
    Love isn't about the ability to procreate. Love is a necessity. Love is a powerful force that is so hard to explain. It's immoral of you to think that love is not natural. Change is natural for progress. Deal with it.
  • voice_m... MayaAng... 2012/05/11 02:35:00 (edited)
    voice_matters
    they are already allowed to get married libby, in all 50 states.
  • MayaAng... voice_m... 2012/05/11 19:28:19
    MayaAngelou0524
    Yes thanks for the update. But what's the difference between a straight marriage and a gay marriage, BESIDES the obvious?
  • voice_m... MayaAng... 2012/05/12 03:08:25
    voice_matters
    they are already allowed to get married libby, in all 50 states
  • cupcakes 2012/05/10 19:37:06 (edited)
    cupcakes
    thats great and all but actually do something about it
  • voice_m... cupcakes 2012/05/11 02:36:12
    voice_matters
    obama can do nothing about it. congress wil need to pass a law that will never pass the house or the senate right now.
  • chgo 2012/05/10 19:26:25
    chgo
    +1
    That's great.
  • Merry☆ 2012/05/10 18:40:07
    Merry☆
    +2
    About bloody time, Mr. President. Now I'm just wondering how this is going to factor into his politics.
  • jimmy d Merry☆ 2012/05/10 20:18:31
    jimmy d
    +1
    It's all about politics. I'm sure that his strategists came to the conclusion that he can only help him especially in the campaign fund department as he amassed a million bucks in 90 minutes after the announcement. We should make him pay 70% of that in tax's!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • voice_m... Merry☆ 2012/05/11 02:36:39
    voice_matters
    what did he do?
  • gldynmd BTO-t-BCRA-F 2012/05/10 18:08:30
    gldynmd BTO-t-BCRA-F
    +1
    Well obama you just sealed your demise.
    I guess his gay lover's memory got to him lol lol
  • Calm down! 2012/05/10 17:54:56 (edited)
    Calm down!
    +5
    It will hurt his overall re-election. It destroys the true meaning of marriage and the whole family institution. Marriage is for a man and woman only. Romney needs to start picking out paint swatches for the White House. This can’t be good for re-election.

Romney for president 2012
  • Grandbr... Calm down! 2012/05/10 19:06:56
    Grandbrother
    +2
    What exactly IS the "true meaning of marriage" that you feel is being destroyed? 50% divorce rates among hetero couples? Shotgun weddings? Drunken Vegas weddings? Marriages that last only months, weeks, days, or even hours?

And how do you determine which definition of marriage is "true" when it's constantly shifted in both form and function since it first came into being before recorded history ever even began?
  • Calm down! Grandbr... 2012/05/10 19:25:51
    Calm down!
    +2
    Read the Bible.
  • JosephT... Calm down! 2012/05/10 20:18:08
    JosephTruth
    +4
    The bible preaches love for all. Love is love. No matter what, you can't fix it, you can't change it, and you can't limit it. You're just a close minded, 40 to 60 year old man who doesn't understand times have changed. 20 years from now, when my generation is leading this country, freedom will ring from the east to the west. People like you have held back this country and I am stuck to fight for progress. One love. It's not hard to understand.
  • Calm down! JosephT... 2012/05/10 20:23:10
    Calm down!
    +1
    That does not mean that men should be sticking their D@*# in another guy's smelly A@# holes!
  • JosephT... Calm down! 2012/05/10 20:27:52
    JosephTruth
    +3
    Is it really about sex? The bible preaches against sodomy. "Sodomy: (N) Sexual intercourse involving anal or oral copulation." I'm sure you've received oral you devil loving demon. Anal and Oral copulation have been happening since the beginning of time with straight people, it's a sin, and people still do it. People have been getting haircuts and tattoos since the beginning of time, people have sex before marriage and you aren't speaking about that.
  • Calm down! JosephT... 2012/05/11 00:01:42
    Calm down!
    What ever floats your boat dude! That's just my opinion. If you like other men's hairy, stinky butt's, then good luck with all of that! Excuse me while I go throw up!

2014/04/21 04:47:21