BREAKING: PRESIDENT OBAMA ENDORSES MARRIAGE EQUALITY!

ProudProgressive 2012/05/09 19:20:20

BREAKING: Obama Embraces Marriage Equality
By Igor Volsky
May 9, 2012

President Obama has come out in support of marriage equality for gay and lesbian people in an interview with ABC News’ Robin Roberts this afternoon:

OBAMA: I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don’t Ask Don’t Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married.

His endorsement comes less than a week after Vice President Joe Biden embraced the issue during an appearance on Meet The Press and a day after North Carolina banned marriage equality and civil unions in its state constitution. During the interview, Obama stressed that he personally affirms same-sex marriage, but says the matter should be left to the individual states.

The president last made news on the freedom to marry 560 days ago, when he told progressive journalists at the White House that he is evolving towards greater acceptance.

Obama’s remarks today bring him full circle to his position in 1996, when he was running for the Illinois state Senate. In response to a questionnaire from Chicago’s Outlines gay newspaper, he proclaimed, “I favor legalizing same-sex marriages, and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages.” You can thank President Obama for completing his evolution here.

Read More: http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/05/09/481147/ob...

• Defend ... nofrills 2012/05/13 17:47:19
  • Buoyant Leadraft 2012/05/11 08:10:54 (edited)
    Buoyant Leadraft
    I don't see a federal law making it so. All he did was say he is for it. Big whoopy!
    When that day comes then I will celebrate!
  • Elizabeth Fine 2012/05/11 06:17:31
    Elizabeth Fine
    +1
    Go Obama!
  • nofrills 2012/05/11 04:05:12
    nofrills
    gays should have absolu.right to stick their priv.partsinto each orifices ..it is just that others with more serious aberration will take advantage of the law ...padeafile,bestial,fetish etc. ...like what they are now doing with small animals ...crushing and fliming for sickos to view and no damn stinking politician nor main stream american
  • Buoyant... nofrills 2012/05/11 08:13:25
    Buoyant Leadraft
    +2
    There is always one idiot in the crowd, and looks you're it.
  • nofrills Buoyant... 2012/05/11 11:42:18
    nofrills
    as you were saying..that you fit the 'profile of the village idiot!!! go for it..btw dont speak 'stupid'
  • Buoyant... nofrills 2012/05/11 17:28:45
    Buoyant Leadraft
    Ah, the old I know you are but what am I ploy eh? That was cleaver, for a second grader.
  • nofrills Buoyant... 2012/05/14 16:36:26
    nofrills
    confused what grade to put U in! maybe in the mentally challenged
  • Jeh nofrills 2012/05/11 11:03:45
    Jeh
    +2
    WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH SMALL ANIMALS??? JESUS CHRIST, BILLY BOB, FART OUT THE GERBIL AND LEAVE LEMMIWINKS ALONE!
  • nofrills Jeh 2012/05/11 11:44:00
    nofrills
    do u have a comp/internet..just look up 'crush videos' and Congress and maybe you might get educa...feel like i just drop in 'twilight zone' and all the ppl on this site are in 'stupidlandia'
  • Jeh nofrills 2012/05/11 12:25:21
    Jeh
    +2
    Thanks Dr. Grammar but I am not interested in what you or Rick Santorium watch in your spare time.
  • nofrills Jeh 2012/05/11 18:12:03
    nofrills
    a bunch of morons...'ignorance knows only ignorance..America is deep mess with the likes of these dem/inbred!
  • Jeh nofrills 2012/05/12 05:56:46 (edited)
    Jeh
    Okay, why not move to somewhere a little less liberal with more fundamental beliefs? Saudi Arabia should be perfect for you.
  • nofrills Jeh 2012/05/12 18:32:03
    nofrills
    sure!! as long asYOU come with us! we would put YOU into the 'third class area!!
  • Jeh nofrills 2012/05/13 06:13:00
  • VICTORIA nofrills 2012/05/11 16:46:43
    VICTORIA
    Cons are such perverts
  • voice_matters 2012/05/11 02:32:05
    voice_matters
    what did obama do to help gay marriage?
  • David Lindner 2012/05/11 02:11:29
  • Andalard 2012/05/11 01:34:02
    Andalard
    +1
    while I agree I'm 99% sure that this was done just for politics because he doesn't seem to care about any of us.
  • Todd~AFCL~PWCM~JLA 2012/05/11 01:10:24 (edited)
    Todd~AFCL~PWCM~JLA
    This is a political loser for 0bama. A large enough percentage of Americans are opposed to gay marriage to keep this from being voted into place and 0bama's response does not change a thing, except that the LGBT community has opened its collective checkbooks. While 0bama may say he is in favor of Gay marriage, the fact remains that it has been defeated 32 times when put to the voters. If this were as overwhelmingly supported as the left and the media try to claim, why can't it get passed by the voters?

http://www.redstate.com/erick...
  • Whitney 2012/05/11 00:34:07
    Whitney
    +2
    This is such the right thing to do. It wasn't all that long ago in our history when we were violating cilvil rights of another group. I have never been able to understand why a persons sexual orientation is the only thing that some people use to judge that person. And the bottom line is why is it the business of anyone else if 2 people who love each other want to get married?
  • voice_m... Whitney 2012/05/11 02:32:46
    voice_matters
    what did he do?
  • Kattie 2012/05/11 00:33:01 (edited)
    Kattie
    +2
    Wow, some party the liberals are having, you are all happy about this historic event. Yaaaa, WAIT.. Maybe we better tone this down to a golf clap.. yes nice and quiet now. Did anyone hear what Obama said? I thought I heard him say if the states will allow it.. MMMM If Obama was true to his word, well wouldn't he just sign an executive order for it to happen, and get it over with? I mean he has signed so many now, why would one more matter? What he said, will not do anything for this to happen, other than to be voted on by the people of a state to allow same sex marriage. I wonder if he did this maybe for donations? No. How about this Romney story maybe, how Mitt cut the hair of a maybe, supposed Gay Student? Oh, this is not looking good for Obama, I know this will backfire on him again, yes that means Mitt will start pulling away from Obama in the polls. I love it, Party on now. Oh, before I forget, Muslims do not support Gays......LMAO..........Period. That's why Obama will not ever let it happen on a Federal Level. ROTFLMAO
  • voice_m... Kattie 2012/05/11 02:33:03
    voice_matters
    what event?
  • wildbill 2012/05/11 00:06:05
    wildbill
    +3
    It may upset bigots, but they have always hated President Obama anyway.

Equal rights for ALL citizens.
  • voice_m... wildbill 2012/05/11 02:34:04
    voice_matters
    marriage is not a right, but if you think it is then show it in the consitution. simple for you i am sure. so what is the section and article?
  • wildbill voice_m... 2012/05/11 06:25:46
    wildbill
    +2
    We have many rights that are not listed in the Constitution.

Marriage has been a religious right since the beginning of civilization. With so many disparate religions seeing marriage as a crucial part of the religious life of their adherents, with so many benefits, it was inevitable that government would also see these same benefits. In the end, the goal of good government is maintaining order and providing for its members. Secular marriage is seen in this light.

If when you wanted to get married the government would say: "No marriage is not in the constitution so you are not allowed to get married."

Would you be deprived of a right if you were not allowed to do what others CAN do?
  • voice_m... wildbill 2012/05/11 14:12:41
    voice_matters
    thanks for showing marriage is not a right in the constitution.
  • wildbill voice_m... 2012/05/11 23:09:18
    wildbill
    +2
    The definition of marriage as being between a man and woman is not in the Constitution either.

However, the Bill of Rights specificallty states that the rights we have should not be denied just because it is not mentioned as a right in the Constitution.

Article the eleventh…
    (Ratified as the
    Ninth Amendment
    on Dec. 15, 1791) The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

http://www.thirty-thousand.or...
  • VICTORIA wildbill 2012/05/11 23:22:33
    VICTORIA
    +1
    REALLY well said!
  • wildbill VICTORIA 2012/05/12 01:22:53
    wildbill
    +1
    Thank you, Victoria. ;-)
  • VICTORIA wildbill 2012/05/12 01:26:26
    VICTORIA
    You are more than welcome. I see there is no comeback.
  • voice_m... wildbill 2012/05/12 03:07:10
    voice_matters
    thanks for showing marriage is not a right in the constitution
  • VICTORIA wildbill 2012/05/11 23:22:06
    VICTORIA
    Well said.
  • Angus 2012/05/10 22:57:12
    Angus
    Just another meaningless political maneuver. Only people dumb enough not to see this would believe his statement. It is an election year after all and Barry would pimp his children if it would bring him votes.

• Brainfart " Bane of the Col... 2012/05/10 22:39:45
    Brainfart " Bane of the Collective "
    +2
    This is not Obama decision.. get real ..It was a Reelect Obama focus group that weighed the pros and cons for weeks watched the polls and assessed that this might pander a few votes .. facepalm
  • Brother Bo 2012/05/10 22:34:03
    Brother Bo
    Everyone already has the same right, to marry someone of the opposite sex. Some people want special rights, and since Obama wants their vote, he will pander to them. But by doing so, he will lose a lot of votes from people who don't agree with his view.
  • Mark Brother Bo 2012/05/10 22:43:54
    Mark
    +1
    So, you consider it a "special right" to marry someone you love? If so, then that should eb the case across the board. Ban marriage, because right now it panders to those who feel entitled to their fearmongering and hatred towards those they don't understand.
  • Brother Bo Mark 2012/05/10 23:27:15
    Brother Bo
    You are right, I don't understand you. I also don't fear you or hate you, I also don't think there should be politicians using me and you for their own gains when they really don't give a rat's backside about either of us as long as they can keep their power.
    PS: I don't have the right to marry someone of the same sex so you shouldn't either.
  • Mark Brother Bo 2012/05/10 23:42:30
    Mark
    +1
    I never said that you do fear or hate me. I don't know if you fear or hate anyone, but those who are vehemently against same-sex marriages most assuredly are. I also agree that politicians should not be using others for their own gains, but you know, as well as I do, that this happens all the time by ALL politicians.

Oh, and the Constitution is for religious freedom. Why are you so against it? There are many religions in the US that allow same-sex marriages, after all.

2014/04/18 13:33:22