Atheist "National Registry" Proposed by Florida Pastor Discovered by the Internet a Year Later from Broward Palm Beach NewTimes

Sean 2011/08/31 21:05:44
Religion
Atheist "National Registry" Proposed by Florida Pastor Discovered by the Internet a Year Later

By Matthew Hendley
Tue., Aug. 30 2011 at 7:31 AM

mike-stahl.jpg
pastorstahl.blogspot.com
"Pastor Mike" Michael Stahl
Pastor Michael Stahl -- or "Pastor Mike," as he's known on the net -- posted on his blog
about a year ago saying he was pretty sure he was going to start a
grassroots organization to keep a database of atheists called "The
Christian National Registry of Atheists."

"I mean, think about
it. There are already National Registrys [sic] for convicted sex
offenders, ex-convicts, terrorist cells, hate groups like the KKK,
skinheads, radical Islamists, etc.." Stahl writes. "This type of
'National Registry' would merely be for information purposes."

He probably thought that was a really great idea. That is, until the rest of the internet found out about his idea yesterday.

"Pastor Mike" was happy to let the rest of the interwebs know that
his website got tons of hits from angry people after somebody discovered
he'd just recently posted a link to the old post on his Facebook page
-- which he's since had to delete.

We'll also note that Stahl's
church, the "Living Water Church," isn't actually a church in Miramar.
Instead, it's an online church -- or an "I-Net" church, as he calls it
-- but he says he lives in Miramar.

A year later, though, Stahl
says he still supports his atheist registry, and if anyone were to start
a Christian registry, he says you could put him at the top of the list.

You can read all about Stahl's complaints with internet people here,
but let's focus on what's really important -- the "Atheist National
Registry" idea from Pastor Mike, as he says he honestly doesn't
understand why anyone would be against such a thing.

He says it would just be for informational purposes and wouldn't have addresses of those damned atheists, just their names and possibly a photo.

Here's
the brilliant explanation from "Pastor Mike," which includes all of his
errant spelling and grammar, as well as his choices of underlining and
italicizing words:

Now, many (especially the atheists), may ask "Why do this, what's the purpose?" Duhhh,
Mr. Atheist for the same purpose many States put the names and photos
of convicted sex offenders and other ex-felons on the I-Net - to INFORM
the public! I mean, in the City of Miramar, Florida, where I live, the
population is approx. 109,000. My family and I would sure like to know
how many of those 109,000 are ADMITTED atheists! Perhaps
we may actually know some. In which case we could begin to witness to
them and warn them of the dangers of atheism. Or perhaps they are
radical atheists, whose hearts are as hard as Pharaoh's, in that case,
if they are business owners, we would encourage all our Christian
friends, as well as the various churches and their congregations NOT to patronize them as we would only be "feeding" Satan.

Frankly,
I don't see why anyone would oppose this idea - including the atheists
themselves (unless of course, they're actually ashamed of their atheist
religion, and would prefer to stay in the 'closet.').

In
case you didn't read that, he didn't really come up with a reason for
the registry except for atheists being super bad and quite possibly
homosexuals.

We'll keep this one filed under "almost-great ideas."
case read reason registry atheists super homosexuals filed almost-great ideas

Read More: http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/pulp/2011/08/ath...

+1
    This "pastor" Mike is no pastor. He is a blatant huckster just like Romney.
  • jtfm 2012/05/03 15:01:53
    jtfm
    +1
    Okay then how about a hypocrite registry. Who is not on it? What a dumb idea.
  • ruthannhausman 2012/05/03 13:07:15
    ruthannhausman
    +1
    Bad idea. Leave people's religious leanings alone, unless they are doing something which jeopardizes our American freedoms, such as the Sharia law proposals.

Also, many so-called atheists really are agnostics. They just don't know what they believe.

Also, being an atheist doesn't make for a nasty person, contrary to popular belief. Although I've known a few atheists who were nasty folks, I've likewise known several atheists who were honorable, lovable people. I am a Christian and I try to promote my Christianity by example. I am not a preacher. Honesty, integrity, character -- you know, all those good qualities are very important to me, as a human being. If you do not believe in Christianity, as I do, it is not for me to judge you. Judgment is God's job, not mine.

Having a "national registry" for atheists is a violation of their rights of religious freedom. Don't tamper with it. If you make a national registry for atheists, then the next step is to make one for Catholics and Jews and so on and so forth. Nix to that idea.
  • katy.isodo 2012/05/03 11:05:39
    katy.isodo
    +1
    All of the reasons for the list are the exact reasons it'd be an awful idea to begin with. Speaking as someone who is Christian - shoving my beliefs down others throats isn't winning anyone over or showing the love of God.. I attempt to be the best example of his love that I can - and often fail, a list isn't going to solve anything.
  • Stan Kapusta 2012/05/03 05:44:41
    Stan Kapusta
    +1
    Never volunteer for these things. I will bite you in the ass down the road.
  • kobidobidog 2012/05/03 05:34:25 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    +1
    The name atheist is misleading even as the other names. Names are external. Names do not say what the works of whoever is. The atheist is what they say because they see the devil thinking they see God. Don't observe the devil to long. It will draw whoever in like a singularity when whoever is at its even horizon. There is no saving truth in a religion that makes the looker get bittier. A looker at the perverted deception of the religions can literally become like they are wanting to oppress using the same method of persecuting quoting perverted scripture to try and support oppression of the same humans religion oppresse while at the same time calling themselves atheists. I know what the biblical truth is.
  • Jpetz 2012/05/03 04:36:41
    Jpetz
    +2
    Ugh. Face Palm -.-
  • Doreen 2012/05/03 03:48:17
    Doreen
    +4
    Hitler wanted the Jews to be registered. Remember were that got them? Is this man part of some branch of the KKK? Who is next Buddhists ( we do not have a deity either ). This man is dangerous.
  • Sean Doreen 2012/05/03 03:51:30
    Sean
    Doreen are you a Buddhist?
  • Doreen Sean 2012/05/03 04:17:20
    Doreen
    +1
    Yes I am.
  • Sean Doreen 2012/05/03 09:48:41
    Sean
    You say in Buddhism there is no deity, so does that mean that Buda is a verifiable real person?
  • unrelig... Sean 2012/05/03 15:04:43
    unreligious
    +2
    Buddha was Siddharta Gotama. He was born into a royal family in Lumbini (now Nepal) in 563 BCE. When he was 29 he came to the conclusion that wealth and luxury does not guarantee happiness. He went on to explore the different religious teachings and philosophies of the day. After six years of searching for the key to human happiness he found "the middle path" and was enlightened. He then went on to spend the rest of his life (he died at 80) teaching the principles of Buddhism-called the Dhamma or Truth. He was not and never claimed to be a God. Buddhists do not worship Idols, they pay respect to them. A statue of the Buddha with hands rested gently in his lap and a compassionate smile, reminds one to develop peace and love within ourselves. Bowing to the statue is an expression of gratitude for the teaching. Kind of like when at the end of a Tai Chi form, people bow in gratitude, to the ancestors who gave us the form.
  • Doreen unrelig... 2012/05/06 20:50:00
    Doreen
    Yes, I have read books on his life and teachings and have understood for a long time that the statue is just a representation of our teacher.
  • dekecds 2012/05/03 03:47:14
    dekecds
    +3
    I'm a Christian, but this guy is a nut job.
  • mustangluver 2012/05/03 03:39:06
  • dePSyChO 2012/05/03 03:19:30
  • blissful 2012/04/26 19:24:33
    blissful
    +1
    Something like that would definitely bring too-much Controvercy! What was this guy thinking?
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2012/04/26 17:10:30
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +6
    Modern Version

First they came for the Feminists
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Feminist

Then they came for the Athiests
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Athiest

Then they came for the Pagans,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Pagans

Then they came for me
    and there was no one left to speak out for me.
  • Sean ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/04/26 18:59:32
    Sean
    Great Post DAW! Thanks for that contribution to this thread.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Sean 2012/04/26 19:11:27 (edited)
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +1
    Im Pagan But i hope you know not all Religions are the same

the American Taliban are nothing like Buddhists or Pagans or Taoists

Quotes from the The American Taliban
    http://www.sodahead.com/livin...
  • D.C. Wi... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/04/26 22:06:37
    D.C. Willis
    +2
    Nice variation on the Martin Niemöller quote DAW!!!

thumb
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... D.C. Wi... 2012/04/26 23:34:45
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2012/04/26 17:08:47
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +2
    First they came for the communists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
  • MellaD 2011/11/28 19:36:54
    MellaD
    +3
    WOW. So, if I don't believe in a god, I'm a criminal????
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... MellaD 2012/04/26 19:46:43
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +1
    no it just makes you smart
  • Algor. Mortis. - ҎԊǢɬ Physician
    +2
    National registries of non-criminals? That's what a police state does.
  • dlsofsetx 2011/09/23 00:15:14
    dlsofsetx
    +2
    This is un-Christian.Being an atheist is not a crime.The other groups are criminals or potentially dangerous.
  • GOD 2011/09/20 04:42:29
    GOD
    +6
    where do I sign up at BUT in return I want a National Registry of christians Oh wait there is one
    http://www.sexualoffenders.com/
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... GOD 2012/04/26 17:09:12
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +2
    oh GOD that was hillarious
  • Willie 2011/09/04 05:57:08
    Willie
    +3
    I'd be proud to have my name on a registry of atheists. I have no qualms about anyone knowing that I live my life as a rational, thinking person, and not a deluded sheep.

I'd worry a little about some Christian kook setting fire to my home, and I'm sure I'd get tired of the good intentioned attempts to recruit me into the various cults, but I'd survive.
  • Sean Willie 2011/09/04 13:40:36
    Sean
    +1
    Willie, I like your answer.
  • brutusin~ Proud Apetheist 2011/09/03 19:46:47
  • life's big ? 2011/09/02 23:50:39
    life's big ?
    +4
    OH MY what a back water, sister humping, nimrod this man is oh my oh my.
  • Einstein's Firecracker 2011/09/02 13:14:06
    Einstein's Firecracker
    +4
    What is this? The Spanish Inquisition? How many have died because an athiest lead a crusade to the Holy Land or declared a jihad on all non-believers? None! It's easy to ignore the blood on your own hands as long as you can paint a target on someone else's back. The registery is for information purposes only? Yeh, right. Pastor Mike is no better than a Nazi. Here are my requirements for anybody to have religion: first take an I.Q. test so you can understand what your'e saying, second, get physical proof of your diety. Then, you can fall on your belly and pray for all sorts of things, while the rest of us get the job done.
  • Sean Einstei... 2011/09/02 18:37:48
    Sean
    +1
    LOL! Well you're certainly standing behind your screen name Einstein's Firecracker LOL. I'm glad to see that there are folks like you and others who are worked up about this like you are, and you made a profound point, when you study the most tyrannical politicians of human civilization history you'll find that all except for 1 that I'm aware have been religious people. Stalling (Russia) is the only one I'm aware of who claimed to be an atheist. Chancellor Hitler, President Amin, Mao Se Tong, those were all religious people, Chancellor Hitler was Roman Catholic, So was Idie Amin, I forget what Mao Se Tong was, he did practice some kind of religion, and very devoutly.
  • Jules 2011/09/01 23:42:17
    Jules
    +5
    As an atheist I honestly take offense to this guys religious-related idiocy. I honestly CAN NOT....well actually I CAN believe this guy would do something like this. Comparing me to a sex-offender or a criminal just because I don't support your beliefs? unbelievable. Now honestly, this is why Atheists just cant get along with some Christians, or any part of religious belief really ( only some, not ALL. Not everyone from a religious belief is bad ) because they push and they PUSH because they think that their belief is the only correct wrong and that you are a 'Satan worshiper' or 'sinner' or whatever just because you disagree with them on their beliefs. Honestly, I have told people that are christian that I am an atheist and the first thing they ALWAYS ask me is 'oh so you believe only in hell and Satan then.' Like oh, so if you don't believe in God then you MUST believe in the devil and Satan and worship or something like that. Really? that's just ridiculous, and so is this man's idea. He's just a religious idiot who wants to have the atheists register themselves so him and his little religious friends can burn down their houses and attack them and ruin their lives.

Honestly.
  • Noel16161 2011/09/01 21:28:51
    Noel16161
    +2
    History does have a bad habit of repeating itself. I am sure that a few have mentioned the Nazis. Enough said.
  • mind-pilot 2011/09/01 19:11:10
    mind-pilot
    +2
    Isn't an atheist registry Gods job? And what determines an atheist, anyway? And is a true Christian suppose to pigment the skin?
  • Lady Yui 2011/09/01 16:42:39
    Lady Yui
    +6
    Just one more example of Christian bigotry.
  • Sadisticon 2011/09/01 16:00:30
    Sadisticon
    +3
    Wow. Just wow. And there's probably some comment in this thread that thinks it's a great idea....

2014/04/18 18:29:04