Akin's Rape Remark Draws Tea Party Pressure: Will Akin's Comment Cost Romney Missouri's Electoral Votes?

Fef 2012/08/22 20:00:00
Mainstream media has dog-piled on senatorial candidate Congressman Todd Akin (R-MO) for his comment about "legitimate rape." Akin has apologized for his comment, but the media will not let it pass, which has caused many Republicans and Tea Party members to put pressure on Akin to drop out of the race.

Some polls suggest that Akin's comment may adversely affect Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney in Missouri. Voters may show up to vote against Akin and Republicans may not show up to vote for Akin. Both of these actions could increase the votes for Obama and give Missouri's electoral votes to Obama.

"I've really made a couple of serious mistakes here that were just wrong, and I need to apologize for those," Akin said. Do you think Akin's comments will give Missouri's electoral votes to Obama -- and hurt Romney in the process?

ABCNEWS.GO.COM reports:
Pressure mounted on Rep.Todd Akin to quit his Missouri Senate race today despite his repeated refusals to step down over his incendiary comments about rape.
quit missouri senate race repeated refusals step incendiary comments rape

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/akins-rape-rem...

• KoAm 2012/08/22 06:09:13
    KoAm
    +17
    Romney is ahead in Missouri by at least 7 points in many polls ... and I seriously doubt this one particular incident, as regrettable as it is, is going to significantly change that. Especially in an election that will be predominantly about jobs.

In today's 24-hour news cycles, a lot will happen between now and early November that will push this whole Akin thing off the radar.

The liberals' attempts to score political points from this will not succeed. Is what Akin said any more despicable than what Biden said about Republicans wanting to re-enslave black people?

I don't think so. It was an atrocious accusation, and it was much worse than what Akin said.

Akin was just being stupid, and he's apologized for what he said. Biden was being absolutely hateful, and he hasn't apologized at all. Let's remember that, everyone.

• Diane Spraggs Yates 2012/09/01 07:15:51
    Diane Spraggs Yates
    It is the economy it just gave more ammunition for Dems looking for any crumb to blow up into a Crisis they never let go to waste !!!!!
  • YouSirName 2012/08/30 20:13:25
    YouSirName
    If they were ignorant enough to elect Akin in the first place, it is likely they will continue to be ignorant enough to vote for Romney.
  • commissioner 2012/08/29 16:57:12
    commissioner
    A week after "legitimate rape," Republican Senate candidate Todd Akin said Sunday that breastmilk can cure homosexuality in men.

something's wrong with that weirdo.
  • TheFightingPanties 2012/08/28 19:29:48
    TheFightingPanties
    the question here is if it will cost him enough to lose him the state.
  • kmay 2012/08/27 13:19:19
    kmay
    Aiken will soon be history.
  • les_gvt 2012/08/26 21:17:37
    les_gvt
    It may be that it cost them the Senate seat though.

Maybe Akin can continue to get funds from the Mc Caskill campaign, since they funded his primary run
  • freedom 2012/08/26 20:46:43
    freedom
    And I would not be surprised if Akin wins.
  • Bob 2012/08/26 19:01:00
    Bob
    Nah!
  • DM Twin 2012/08/26 18:31:07
    DM Twin
    Akin is a Moron who needs to drop out immediatley and another viable candidate replace him .

Mc Caskill MUST be tossed ... even as a write in
  • Just me ♥ 2012/08/26 17:28:04
    Just me ♥
    +2
    No, he'll make a clean sweep in MO. I, for one, will NOT be voting for Claire again.
  • SickOfBigGov 2012/08/26 16:52:31
    SickOfBigGov
    +2
    No, Romney swifty confronted the remark as ridiculous and preposterous. Funny thing, though, I don't recall the media make such a fuss about Al Franken's much more insidious rape comment.

Let us recall: “And, ‘I give the pills to Lesley Stahl. Then, when Lesley’s passed out, I take her to the closet and rape her.’ Or, ‘That’s why you never see Lesley until February.’ Or, ‘When she passes out, I put her in various positions and take pictures of her.’”...Really, Al? You are a true beauty...

Footnote: "Earlier this week, Senator Al Franken of Minnesota joined Vice President Joe Biden for a campaign event in Minnesota. " VP Joe doesn't find a problem with Mr. (Raper) Franken at all....
  • Nameless 2012/08/26 12:20:19
    Nameless
    +1
    One can only hope.
  • bryguy 2012/08/26 09:24:28
    bryguy
    +1
    I really don't think this will turn enough support away from Romney to cost him that state, but if Akin really wants to do what is best for his party he will drop out of the race. He was previously winning by a narrow margin of about 1% but now his support has dropped by 9 points. It's likely that as more people hear about his comments, especially women, his support will drop even further. I really don't see how he has a snowball's chance in hell at winning at this point and he is just going to continue hurting Romney's campaign as long as he stays in the election.
  • Butterfly 2012/08/26 02:10:11
    Butterfly
    +2
    Why should it? Mr. Romney didn't say these things. He does not support what was said. Those that believe it would, can not think independently. You all think, everyone is joined at the hip. "We are the borg. " "We are the collective"=liberal dems.
  • D~Presi... Butterfly 2012/08/26 14:28:54
    D~PresidentBarackObama
    But, should Romney be unable to complete his term we would be stuck with Ryan, and Ryan is holding hands with Akin on the legislation that would attempt to redefine the term rape. That's fact, and if you think that Ryan can distance himself from it in a sensible mind....well, I kind of answered that one in the lead up, didn't I?
  • DM Twin D~Presi... 2012/08/26 18:33:49
  • les_gvt D~Presi... 2012/08/26 21:21:05
    les_gvt
    +1
    I would much rather risk a Paul Ryan loving Akin presidency than a Joe Biden waking up from a nap one
  • les_gvt D~Presi... 2012/08/26 21:21:41
    les_gvt
    you mean like Wyden has suddenly distanced himself from his own bill?
  • D~Presi... les_gvt 2012/08/28 11:57:41
    D~PresidentBarackObama
    I'm going to laugh and shake my head sadly on your post but just let your friends know it's for you all. Make a point. Share a fact. I'm no sheep, I only respond to logic and information. Give me some.
  • les_gvt D~Presi... 2012/08/29 01:51:20
    les_gvt
    +1
    I am still waiting for Clinton to define the meaning of "is", and we will not mention Anthony's wiener. Edwards love child (who is Gary Hart?).

Maybe you need to join David Wu in a tiger suit, or join Chandra as a mistress for Condit?

It seems as if the Democrats are the ones with the problems
  • bpf 2012/08/26 00:17:28
    bpf
    +3
    But the looney left-wing socialist will try their best to make it look that way...my socialist brother already started with the evil right-wing wants to keep women barefoot & pregnant. .
  • Butterfly bpf 2012/08/26 02:14:05
    Butterfly
    +2
    You know they are looney. I have two in my family. That are "crazy making" people.
    They make up story's and believe their OWN LIES.
    They make up something about you, (not true) and will go to the grave believing their lies.
  • Hawkeye bpf 2012/08/26 13:24:11
    Hawkeye
    +2
    You KNOW what gets ME??

When Obama comes out and says something STUPID like "YOU have a successful Business?? YOU didn't BUILD that" or Biden points to a Black Man in the audience and says," THEY gonna put Y'all BACK in Chains",, EVERYBODY on the left,, including the MSM,, drags themselves out of their SEWERS to tell YOU that YOU didn't hear what you heard and THEY didn't say what they said.. THEN they'll come out and say that what they DIDN'T say was EXACTLY 100% correct..

Obama NEVER said it but you DIDN'T build that business.. Biden NEVER said it but Republicans DO want to put blacks BACK in chains..

NOBODY on the left is EVER held responsible for what they say..

On the OTHER hand,,

Akin,, or any OTHER Republican for THAT matter,, says someting Stupid and EVERY Republican on face of the Planet gets branded by the EXACT same people for thinking the SAME way EVEN if they're the FIRST ones to come out and denounce it....
  • D~Presi... Hawkeye 2012/08/26 14:26:49
    D~PresidentBarackObama
    +1
    Oh, please! The world is still mind-boggled at that whole, "it depends on how you define the word 'it'", fiasco. Don't try to even pretend that only one party latches on and then points a spotlight on the idiocy of the other party.
  • Hawkeye D~Presi... 2012/08/26 17:19:21
    Hawkeye
    +1
    I STAND by my comment and IT stands on the TRUTH of it's OWN assertion.. We ALL know that what I'm saying is true..
  • PurpleT... Hawkeye 2012/08/26 22:45:50
    PurpleTurtle
    But the real question is... what truth is in your comment? Well.. besides rebulicun... cans want to put blacks BACK into CHAINS. I suggest you stop thinking so ignorantly, it annoys me and my mother.
  • Hawkeye PurpleT... 2012/08/26 23:20:38
    Hawkeye
    +1
    Not that I care one whit what annoys you or your mother but if YOU think that anybody's looking to put anybody back in chains YOU have some serious growing up to do..

I suggest that you spend more time paying attention in school and LESS time watching the Smurfs..
  • PurpleT... Hawkeye 2012/08/26 23:33:20
    PurpleTurtle
    Was that HONESTLY, the best YOU can DO? You can't prove to me that everything else you said in YOUR comment was true? I guess you knew that everything in your comment is wrong then. Thanks for making my job easier.
  • Hawkeye PurpleT... 2012/08/27 08:25:12
    Hawkeye
    +1
    WHat's to prove?? Obama DID say EXACTLY what I said that he said.. Biden DID say EXACTLY what I said that he said and the left DID come out and make excuses for them.. They DID come out and try to convince everyone that they never heard what they heard..

NOBODY disputes that Akin came out and said something equally stupid and the Republican were the FIRST to come out en masse to both CONDEMN what he said and DEMAND that he leave the race.. Nevertheless,, the LEFT insists on blamming ALL Republicans for having the same opinions..

THESE are not things that I have to prove..THEY are simple FACTS..
    You might just as easilly demand that I prove that WWII happened..

YOU say that I proved your point.. I say that you don't HAVE a point...
  • PurpleT... Hawkeye 2012/08/28 00:19:44
    PurpleTurtle
    YET I'm asking YOU to give me some sort of MEDIA to prove your CASE and YOU still WON'T do IT. You NEED a CREDIBLE source in order to prove this CASE.
  • libaretardstoo 2012/08/25 23:22:48
    libaretardstoo
    If Romney's victory in Misery is so tenuous due to Akin's comments then he's sunk anywhere a Republican candidate forgets to walk on egg shells. I wish Republicans would stop obsessing about it and leave those problems to Democrats.
  • Robin B 2012/08/25 19:06:40
    Robin B
    +2
    Not that the democrats won't try to pin it on Romney and Ryan !
  • Cordingly 2012/08/25 18:04:40
    Cordingly
    +2
    Not really, though the months leading up to the election will be full of comments that either side will try and exploit.
  • jay 2012/08/25 18:00:46
    jay
    +2
    Aikin certainly is advocating for "legitimate" rapists while Romney is still comfortably ahead in MO. Akin will go down in flames, but the Democrats will, too, for trying to capitalize on this moron's comments by trying to link them to the presidential campaign or the GOP Party Platform. Democrats always overreach, but this time they just look like idiots.
  • D~PresidentBarackObama 2012/08/25 17:53:09 (edited)
    D~PresidentBarackObama
    +1
    ...if they are paying attention to the fact that what Akin said is in line with the party goals.

republican rape quotes
  • SickOfB... D~Presi... 2012/08/26 16:55:28
    SickOfBigGov
    It didn't seem to hurt Senator Al Franken: “And, ‘I give the pills to Lesley Stahl. Then, when Lesley’s passed out, I take her to the closet and rape her.’ Or, ‘That’s why you never see Lesley until February.’ Or, ‘When she passes out, I put her in various positions and take pictures of her.’” Oh, he's a liberal....of course it would never be a cause of outrage.
  • Bob S 2012/08/25 00:22:40
    Bob S
    Like the Presidential polls....very close. It was a terrible opinion and his Demoratic opponent went from -10 to plus 10 in the polls. It was or seemed to be the one safe seat in the coming election.
  • JustTheFacts 2012/08/24 23:58:30
    JustTheFacts
    +3
    How?

Mainstream, lying, influence could be the only delusional reason.
  • Bilingual required sucks 2012/08/24 23:47:19 (edited)
    Bilingual required sucks
    +2
    Akins comment will likely have a lot of independents that were sitting on the fence, jumping on Obamas' side.
  • Lanikai Bilingu... 2012/08/25 14:53:35
    +2
    Since most people understand that abortion is established law and NOT in danger of being changed, most people will still vote for Mitt, because they hate the direction obama has taken the nation.

2014/04/19 17:19:03