2nd Degree Sunburn When School Requires Doctor's Note for Sunscreen: Blame School?

Fef 2012/06/25 22:48:19
Related Topics: School, Weird News
Schools have to cover themselves from over-litigious parents. However, sometimes over-protecting students can lead to under-protecting them. Consider this case of a two girls Violet, 11, and Zoe, 9, in Tacoma, Washington. The girls suffer from a form of albinism and require sunscreen lotion when going in the sun. The school, however, requires a doctor's note for sunscreen. Who deserves the blame for the girls suffering 2nd degree sunburns.

FoxNews.com reports:A Tacoma, Wash., mom is seeing red after her fair-skinned daughters returned home from school severely sunburned. Michener says she did not give the girls sunscreen because it appeared to be an overcast day, but says that school officials should have been able to let them apply sunscreen when the sun came out--especially since both Violet, 11, and Zoe, 9, suffer from a form of albinism.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/06/25/sisters-suffer-sever...

wash mom red fair-skinned daughters returned home school severely sunburned

Read More: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/06/25/sisters-s...

• Melicious Kiss of PHAET 2012/06/26 01:06:21
    Don't Blame School
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +12
    My son has vitiligo, and also burns quite easily on the spots where he has no pigmentation. At the beginning of every school year, his doctor supplies the correct paper work and I send a bottle of sunscreen to school.

We also apply sunscreen every morning, every day. It is a habit. Overcast or not. As a parent with a child who burns easily it is MY job to educate myself, overcast days do not protect from UV rays. I am pro-active, and I make sure my son will not burn.

When he goes to a friends, sunscreen is with him. It's not hard to do any of this, it just needs to be a priority and habit.

In my opinion, this mother should have asked the school's policy at the beginning of the year, or during registration, and then there would have never been a problem.

• Brosia 2012/07/24 01:25:06
    Blame School
    Brosia
    Sunscreen is not a medication, it is a lotion specifically designed to prevent sunburns, and by being morons, they caused these kids to get burned.
  • Tallulah 2012/07/21 01:36:02
    Blame School
    Tallulah
    Err too hard to decide witch one to click. Why would you need a doctor's note? That's ridiculous. The mom should have gotten a doctor's note though. Lazy ass mom.
  • Carson 2012/07/12 07:07:08
    Blame School
    Carson
    Logic and human decency should out weigh policy.
  • Gene_In_Kabul 2012/07/12 06:19:00
    Blame School
    Gene_In_Kabul
    More specifically, blame the NEA for populating the schools with liberal wonks.
  • AguardianF 2012/07/11 22:56:03
    Don't Blame School
    AguardianF
    don't kids carry lotion with them anyway? i know alot of kids that carry lotions and perfumes of all sorts inside their school bags and well i don't really see it a problem. although if the school had at least called the child's parents after being told they need sunscreen, maybe the mother could have done something about the doctor's note. i wouldn't like it if my child (not that I have one yet) would get hurt at school, but its kind of school. we learn most of our lessons there, curriculum or not. they can learn from this too. don't go anywhere without sunscreen and put on sunscreen before you walk out of your house. simple as that. but still...the school should have at least called the child's parents. or the girl's themselves could have refused to do outdoor activities, i would and i have before. but i guess it depends on the person.
  • lucky 2012/06/28 13:38:25
    Blame School
    lucky
    +2
    Clicked wrong answer, maybe this school was different but I remember every single school my daughters attended sent home paperwork at the beginning of the year asking about medications, medical conditions, etc. I would have thought the parents would have noted that at the start of school and made sure that if a situation like that came up especially considering the children's condition that sunscreen would have been readily available at the school and a permission note on file instead of having to send one every time.
  • BongRipper 2012/06/27 09:49:36
  • frank 2012/06/26 20:04:57
    Don't Blame School
    frank
    +2
    It is 100% the mothers fault, she knew they were fair skinned and needed sunscreen; the school needed a doctor’s note for the sunscreen which she choose not to follow through with. Their for it can only be the mothers fault
  • MlssCue =Go Blue= 2012/06/26 17:56:14
    Don't Blame School
    MlssCue =Go Blue=
    Tough call. She should have called the dr & had that paperwork already faxed over & seeing how they have this known condition, had proper covering maybe? idk.

My daughter has asthma & she's not suppose to use her inhaler w/out a doctors note. I told her I don't care what anyone tells you, if you need your inhaler use it! What are they going to do, stop here midway? They'd have one hell of a fight on their hands if so.
  • ☆ElenaDiamond☆ 2012/06/26 17:41:28
    Don't Blame School
    ☆ElenaDiamond☆
    +1
    Don't blame the school. Blame the overly litigious society that has created stupid rules. Furthermore, her parents should've known better. Any fool knows that you can still get sunburn on an overcast day. Any child that suffers from albinism should wear sunscreen daily despite the "overcast" conditions. The parents lack common sense. To address the real issue though, needing a doctors note for something that is common sense to use, is ridiculous and overly cautious. Our society has become a haven for frivoulous lawsuits and people who sue for lack of their own common sense.
    Blame School
    +1
    More PC stupidity, if I were the parents I'd sue the school.
  • Melicio... none 2012/06/26 17:49:29
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +3
    Sue the school? Because as a parent you were not smart enough to put sunscreen on BEFORE school, or because you were too lazy to call the doctor and get a note?

Yeah, sue the school, that's the answer. And what do you think suing will accomplish? Will it take the sunburn away? Will making your already broke school district, more broke, and maybe getting a bit of money solve anything at all??

No. It wont. All it will do, is insure that more things like this happen.
  • none Melicio... 2012/06/26 18:01:50
    +1
    If you read the article it appears as though the child had sun screen but wasn't allowed to apply it. What it will accomplish is stop schools from not allowing children with sun screen given to them by their parents from applying it when needed. All you have to do is look at the poor child and you can plainly see the results of the schools foolish decision.
  • Melicio... none 2012/06/26 18:03:57
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +3
    It should have been applied BEFORE school. Before she ever left the house. Every day. If she truly does have that condition, it should be a part of the morning routine. And, it's not hard to have your doctor write a note. Especially when your child has a medical condition.

The mother did not take the correct steps. Sending sunscreen without knowing the school's policy is lazy is at best.
  • none Melicio... 2012/06/26 18:05:31
    Sun screen has to be applied numerous times during the day, guess you didn't know that. The kid had sun screen but wasn't allowed to use it.
  • Melicio... none 2012/06/26 18:09:06
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +3
    Actually I did. Which is why I have a doctor's note at my son's school at the beginning of the school year, with a bottle of sunscreen. Every year. I do my job. I know the school's policies, and I am pro-active. The school is aware of my son's condition, and the doctor has no problem supplying the note, it takes all of five minutes.

Mom didn't bother to check school policy, or she would have taken care of it, long ago.
  • none Melicio... 2012/06/26 20:37:43
    +1
    That's supposed to forgive a very stupid school policy that resulted in the terrible sun burn?
  • Melicio... none 2012/06/26 22:30:20
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +1
    Yes.

A responsible parent checks school policy... especially a parent with a child with health issues.

Stupid or not, it is the policy and she never bothered to check.
  • jason.a.pyatt 2012/06/26 16:25:31
    Blame School
    jason.a.pyatt
    blame both of them, the school and the parents.
  • Odinsown 2012/06/26 14:09:22
    Blame School
    Odinsown
    Absofreakinlutely, if a school endangered my kids health that way we would fight, battle royal style.
  • Melicio... Odinsown 2012/06/26 17:50:21
    Melicious Kiss of PHAET
    +2
    The school endangered their health?? Mmmm... if you know your child has a condition, shouldn't you treat it before school, or oh my gosh, get a doctors note???
  • Odinsown Melicio... 2012/06/26 18:07:05
    Odinsown
    +1
    Should you treat before school, yes of course, you sound experienced at this so I won't argue with you, as a gut wrench reaction the school should not make it anymore difficult to care for a child than it already is. Keep in mind this is an emotional reaponse, I don't have kids, and I don't have any experience other than caring for my brothers. If you'd like I can come back with a reasoned libertarian argument for how both parent and school are at fault. If not, well then I guess you will have to let me love with my overly irrational response. ;)
  • mwg0735 2012/06/26 04:01:37
  • Pele Em... mwg0735 2012/06/26 11:01:43
    Pele Emerging
    +2
    The teacher would NOT have stopped you from putting sunscreen on your child. That's sort of the point. The school cannot let a kid take medication, even over the counter, which is what sunscreen is, without a note from the doctor. A parent, can, of course, give the child medication. It was the parent's responsibility. This parent waited all flippin' year to find out that her kids, who burn easily and should have been using sunscreen the entire year, have to have a note, unless she, herself, applies it? I thought republicans were great believers in personal responsibility?
  • mwg0735 Pele Em... 2012/06/26 14:51:41
  • Blunder... mwg0735 2012/06/26 19:08:19
    BlunderWoman ~ FTGOP~ BN 0
    The school does. Which is why the kids aren't allowed to apply it themselves.
  • Pele Em... Blunder... 2012/06/26 21:30:44
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    So does the FDA, which is what 49 states do not allow schools to apply it without a doctor's note.
  • mwg0735 Blunder... 2012/06/27 02:35:39
  • Pele Em... mwg0735 2012/06/26 21:25:46
    Pele Emerging
    +2
    I don't. The FDA does.
  • D.C.Verdone 2012/06/26 03:20:24
    Blame School
    D.C.Verdone
    Thats just stupid. Sunscreen is not a drug morons.
  • Pele Em... D.C.Ver... 2012/06/26 11:02:08
    Pele Emerging
    +1
    It's classed as an over the counter drug. Tell it to the FDA.
  • D.C.Ver... Pele Em... 2012/06/27 03:52:15
    D.C.Verdone
    +1
    I figured but schools know its not pills. Just saying.
  • Pele Em... D.C.Ver... 2012/06/27 07:10:14
    Pele Emerging
    The problem is that the FDA classed sunscreen as an OTC drug. 49 states have laws on the books that state that schools may not give or allow students OTC drugs without a note from a doctor. Every state but California includes sunscreen in that. So, the school could not legally either allow the student to use or put sunscreen on the student.

Now, why, when the mother should know that even on a cloudy day, sunburns are possible, particularly for sun-sensitive kids like hers, did she not slather her kids liberally before they even left, who knows? Also, why wait until the field day to find out? Her kids should have been using sunscreen all year, but she, the mother, is negligent, but wants to 'blame' someone, instead of taking responsibility for her own stupidity.
  • Lorelei Lee 2012/06/26 01:55:59
    Blame School
    Lorelei Lee
    I picked this choose because even though they can't apply sunscreen on them; however, I can't believe not one teacher couldn't see during the course of the day that the girls were burning. They could have took them inside or gave them some shade outside. They could have called the mother and told her the situation and I know she probably would have came and put the sunscreen on them herself. Even though they have that policy there were other things they could have done. Plus this article isn't giving much detail of what happen like the other article I read.
  • Selketskiss 2012/06/26 01:40:58
    Don't Blame School
    Selketskiss
    +2
    Parents are responsible to make sure teachers, nurses, principle etc. are aware of certain conditions that their child has. Now if the child asked to put on sun screen and say the coach said no or we do not have time for that the school is held responsible for these actions.
  • merlinskiss 2012/06/26 01:20:20
    Blame School
    merlinskiss
    +1
    I blame the rampant stupidity running wild in this country. Just exactly which idiot decided to take kids out in to the baking sun without any protection for long enough to get burns like this? Maybe they should have stayed inside you think? Duh!
  • Pele Em... merlins... 2012/06/26 11:06:23
    Pele Emerging
    +3
    Just what idiot sends a child who is sensitive to the sun ALL YEAR to school without sunscreen and then, on a school-wide field day, suddenly decides that the kids might need it? If my kid is that sensitive to the sun, you can bet your booties, I would have let the school know from day 1. I'm betting that the information about sunscreen is right in the student manual, given to all kids on their first day of school, and which parents sign that they've reviewed. These kids suffered the consequences of their mother's stupidity, but she wants to blame anyone but herself.
  • merlins... Pele Em... 2012/06/29 20:15:10
    merlinskiss
    I don't disagree. But reason, logic and common sense on the part of the school could have prevented it. That is my point. When do we hold everyone responsible for their stupidity including the school. Oh, that is not the American Way now is it?
  • Pele Em... merlins... 2012/06/29 20:55:17
    Pele Emerging
    The school is bound by the laws of the state which prevent them from applying or allowing students to apply sunscreen without a note from a doctor. Logic would state that whether or not they want to do it, they cannot break the law. Here is a parent who knows that her children will be outside ALL DAY. She knows they're sensitive to sun. Did she slather them up with sunscreen before school? No, because it was cloudy (though any idiot knows you can get a heck of a sunburn on a cloudy day). She didn't call the school to make sure that her children could use the sunscreen she tucked in their bags 'just in case', she just assumed it was fine. Now, according to her, one of her children has a form of albinism which means sunburn is a given. That being the case I cannot understand why this stupid woman didn't have the doctor's note AND the sunscreen at school from the first day.

My own daughter had allergies. Periodically, she'd break out in hives, though we could not figure out the trigger for it. I had a doctor's note AND a bottle of benedryl at school for her, even though benedryl is OTC, and I also worked at the school, so presumably, she could have come to me. I wanted to make sure that just in case I wasn't there, and she broke out in hives, she didn't have to endure...

My own daughter had allergies. Periodically, she'd break out in hives, though we could not figure out the trigger for it. I had a doctor's note AND a bottle of benedryl at school for her, even though benedryl is OTC, and I also worked at the school, so presumably, she could have come to me. I wanted to make sure that just in case I wasn't there, and she broke out in hives, she didn't have to endure the discomfort.
    Anytime your child has a condition which might even need a simple aspirin, you need to make sure you have everything in place before it is needed. Schools cannot give out meds, even OTC meds and sunscreen is classed as an OTC drug, without a doctor's note.

This mother was flat out negligent, but wanted to blame someone else for her stupidity. If she'd even called ahead of time, she would have understood the policy, based on state laws, which would not allow the school to either apply or allow her daughters to apply the sunscreen without a note. I imagine, too, that the daughters were given an option to go inside or stay out of the sun. They no doubt refused the offer.
  • merlins... Pele Em... 2012/06/29 20:58:00
    merlinskiss
    And just when does the BS stop? Parents have the first and foremost responsibility. But reason, logic and common sense belong to the school! They showed none!

2014/04/17 12:54:14