20 Ways In Which Being Liberal Has Made My Life Better

ProudProgressive 2012/05/11 02:09:38
May 10, 2012
By Uzair Qadeer

Each of the statements below reference factual numbers, actual legislation, or true data. None of this is my opinion, all of this can be easily validated.

1. Since 1932, Democratic Presidents have created 73.4 million new jobs, Republicans have created only 34.8 million. Thus, Democrats created more jobs lifting my standard of living. (Source: International Business Times | Bloomberg)

2. Democrats got my mother, sister, and all other women a right to vote by fighting the GOP for 7 years (Source: Woodrow Wilson 1912-1919). Even 100 years later, Democrats fight Republicans as they introduced a law in Wisconsin that would criminalize single mothers. (Source 1 | Forbes)

3. Land Grant Institution funding triggered under Great Society Programs lifted me and many of my friends from lower middle class to upper earning brackets through affordable college education. (Sources: Colorado University | US History | Wikipedia)

4. Democrats got me a right to get married to the person I love while GOP made constitutional bans for same-sex marriage in almost all GOP controlled states. (Source: HRC Housing | Employment | Hospital Visitation)

5. Lyndon Johnson's Great Society Programs created "Work Study" which enabled me to work 20-hours a week in addition to classes to pay towards my college tuition and make a life for myself. (Sources: Colorado University | US History | Wikipedia)

6. Lyndon Johnson's Great Society Programs created Pell Grants, which helped me and millions of other people complete college education and go on to create new businesses and opportunities for ourselves and others. (Sources: Colorado University | US History | Wikipedia)

7. Democratic President Barack Obama repealed Don't Ask Don't Tell to empower me and other LGBT Americans to serve our country with self-respect and dignity, unifying our nation. (Source: White House)

8. While GOP governments have legislation in 12 states to ban Islamic faith called Sharia, Democrats created a nation where people of all faiths can freely practice under our first amendment right by never introducing legislation to ban an established faith. (Source: MSNBC)

9. In last 70 years GDP rose 12.6% under Democrats versus a GOP increase of 10.7%. From 1960 to 2012 the gross domestic product measured in dollars rose an average of $165 billion a year under Republican presidents and $212 billion a year under Democrats. Thus, Democrats made this nation more prosperous. (Source: Washington Post)

10. The Bayh-Dole Act, passed by a Democratic House and Senate and signed by Jimmy Carter, has created 5000 companies including Google. It created millions of jobs for me and my fellow citizens. (Source: Act | Wiki Information)

11. Democrats in 1967 legalized interracial marriage across the US, giving me and my friends a chance to find and marry the best person for us irrespective of race. The GOP opposed it. (Source: Wikipedia)

12. Democrats created anti-discrimination laws under Great Society Programs that protect me, and millions of other Americans from being denied housing, jobs, or other services on the grounds of race. The GOP opposed it. (Sources: Colorado University | US History | Wikipedia)

13. Lyndon Johnson enacted a massive expansion of Social Security (also created by a democratic, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt) and Medicare so older Americans that have worked hard and spent their lives making this nation great are not left alone in the dark. One day, I will also take advantage of such programs. (Sources: Colorado University | US History | Wikipedia)

14. Democrats created Medicaid under Great Society Programs to help enhance healthcare access for men, women, and children who otherwise couldn't afford it. The GOP still wants to dissolve it. (Sources: Colorado University | US History | Wikipedia)

15. Democratic Presidents hold the record for all of the following:

Greatest gross domestic product (GDP) growth: Clinton
Biggest jobs increase: Truman
Best after-tax personal disposable income rise: Carter
Highest industrial production growth: Johnson
The lowest Misery Index, which is inflation plus unemployment: Kennedy
The lowest inflation: Truman
The largest federal budget deficit reduction: Clinton

Each one of the above made this country a stronger and larger economy to make all Americans more prosperous. (Source: Washington Post)

16. Democrats spend far less; spending breaks down as $35 billion a year under Democratic presidents and $60 billion under Republicans on average. If you assume that it takes a year for a president's policies to take effect, Democrats have raised spending by $40 billion a year and Republicans by $55 billion. Thus, the GOP is more responsible for the debt that we have amassed, lowering our credit rating. (Source: Washington Post)

17. While giving people of faith a full free choice to do what they deem fit, Democrats made access to birth control available to all women so those suffering from PCOS, ovarian cancer, ovarian cysts, and hormonal disorders can save their lives by using it. The GOP still fights that. This made lives of people close to me better. (Source: Detailed Affordable Care Act | Graphic | Related Blog)

18. Democrats have created anti-discrimination laws to protect LGBT individuals from being denied housing or jobs based on their sexual orientation which is similar to providing protection for people who choose to affiliate with a certain religion of their choice. This has created an America where my friends and I can thrive based on our work not our race, religion, or sexual orientation. 31 GOP states have still refused to follow this trend enacted in 19 liberal states to protect LGBT Americans in a diversity bucket. (Source: HRC Housing | Employment | Hospital Visitation | State Laws |Interactive)

19. Out of 18 states that produce more wealth than what they take in from the Federal Government, 16 are liberal, one swing (FL), and only one Republican (TX). On the other hand, of 32 states that take in more money than what they produce, aka welfare states, 4 (MD, ME, HI, VT) are liberal, one swing (PA), and an astonishing 27 are full-out conservative. (Link) Thus Democratic legislature and fiscal policies have created a better living environment for me, conservative legislatures have failed to do the same for its loyal base. (Source: Tax Foundation)

20. A Democratic legislature and President Obama in 2010 enacted HealthCare Reform that eliminates discrimination for insurance against people with preexisting conditions, prevents women from being charged twice as much, makes preventative care available, enables young adults to stay on their parents plan till 26, and removes lifetime caps to make sure that children born with serious conditions are not left out to die. The beauty of this was that the reform is not a government takeover, relies on private insurance, and expands coverage for all my fellow citizens making all of our lives better. (Source: Lifetime Caps | Women Pay More | Detailed Affordable Care Act |Graphic)

Now, take just 5 minutes. Imagine an America where only one religion dictates the law of the land like Rick Santorum suggests. Where things like the Patriot Act and Guantanamo Bay-style camps that enable no right to fair trial are created. LGBT Americans cannot only not serve in the military but have their children confiscated. Women cannot vote. Blacks cannot marry whites. You can be fired for being Hispanic. Muslims cannot worship freely. There are no Pell Grants to put your child through school. There is no Medicare for your parents. There is a government that spends twice as much on average ($60B vs. $35B) and creates half as many jobs (73.4MM vs 34.8MM). Imagine it… having trouble? It is called Iran. Afghanistan. Pakistan. Saudi Arabia. It is called America without Democratic Presidents and their legislation. Take away all what Democrats have achieved in last 100 years and you will get an America not too different from places you fear the most.

America, wake up. Facts are staring right at you. Wake up!

Read More: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/05/10/20-ways-in...

• ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2012/05/14 14:58:41
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    150 Achievements That the GOP Seek To Destroy

http://www.sodahead.com/livin...

150 achievements gop seek destroy httpwww sodahead comlivin
  • D D 2012/05/11 19:13:01
    D D
    You no longer live in reality. Reality is tough. Not all of us can handle it.
  • Luxxie 2012/05/11 18:08:11
    Luxxie
    +1
    Very interesting post, maybe some people can learn something from it !
  • Golanv (Raven) 2012/05/11 17:54:01
    Golanv (Raven)
    +1
    Long live Liberals! Great post; thank you!
    liberal
  • Sgt Major B 2012/05/11 15:05:07
    Sgt Major B
    +3
    Number 2 is an outright lie!

19th Amendment vote results:

Senate
    Yea: D- 20 R- 36 Nay: D- 17 R- 8
    House
    Yea: D- 102 R- 200 Nay: D- 70 R- 19

Looks like Dems for: 122 of 263, Repubs for: 236 of 258

This is what you find when you do actual research instead of posting garbage from ill-informed blogs. Considering your track record with the bulk of the drivel you post, reading any farther wasn't worth the effort.
  • ««Ginge... Sgt Maj... 2012/05/11 15:38:45
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    So now Democrats of the 1910's and 20's were liberals? Lol! You have no idea what you're talking about.
  • Sgt Maj... ««Ginge... 2012/05/11 16:11:40 (edited)
    Sgt Major B
    +1
    OK, slowly now.... go back to paragraph number 2, re-read the opening of the sentence... "Democrats got my mother, sister, and all other women a right to vote..."

Does the author use the word Democrats? Did I mention liberals? How long have you suffered from this comprehension problem? Check with the local High School, I'm certain they offer a remedial reading course.

I actually research claims such as the above instead of being a mindless, illiterate drone. I also take the time to ensure I comprehend what I read.

Now, which one of us foolishly opened our mouth without knowing what we were talking about?
  • dave b 2012/05/11 14:43:15
    dave b
    +4
    This is all very well and good....except for leaving out information that would create a "bigger picture".
    The first item for example:

This doesnt account for facts like there was no EPA until 1970. Regulations werent nearly as harsh as they are now. California, as Liberal as they come, drove over 200 businesse out of the state in 2010 due to high taxation and harsh regulations. Also, it doesnt mention that many of those jobs were "created" out of necessity, not because some Liberal thought it was a good idea. World War II is an excellent example of millions of jobs needing to be filled for the war effort.
    I would like to see a graph timeline from 1932 to today. I bet it would paint a different picture of reality instead of just some abbreviated blurb designed to misinform people about how great Liberalsm is.
  • findthelight2000 2012/05/11 13:44:51
    findthelight2000
    +1
    Now that's telling it like it is!
  • Bastion 2012/05/11 13:04:32
  • Raymond Allamby 2012/05/11 12:05:05
    Raymond Allamby
    +1
    agreed on the factually challenged remark.
  • Jimbo 2012/05/11 11:28:08
    Jimbo
    +3
    One side is cavemen, the other side is modern man.

cavemen modern
  • CAROLYN NTARWNJBS 2012/05/11 10:55:09
    CAROLYN NTARWNJBS
    +3
    Facts!
    +3
    Excellent post!
  • Pm 2012/05/11 06:39:24
    Pm
    +2
    Those accomplishments were made by true Democrats, not extremists (liberals). The Far right and left wing are creating the division in this country. We need the moderates of the past. The last moderate was Reagan. The latter have been all about partisanship.
  • Lady Wh... Pm 2012/05/11 10:14:40
    well said
  • RogerCo... Pm 2012/05/11 10:38:21
    RogerCoppock
    +3
    "Those accomplishments were made by true Democrats, not extremists (liberals). "

All of the listed Democratic accomplishments were originally called extreme and liberal by Republicans. Many, like interracial marriage, Republicans labeled Communist.
  • Pm RogerCo... 2012/05/12 20:02:07
    Pm
    Many democrats owned slaves and the KKK is a democratic party...Many republicans supported interracial couples. Many democrats did nothing about women's right. Republicans helped pass the the equal rights bill. Some republicans didn't agree with it. Some democrats didn't either...
    What is your point?
    The type of partisanship you spew is the reason why this country is so divided.
  • RogerCo... Pm 2012/05/12 21:00:07
    RogerCoppock
    Southern racist Democrats, the "Dixiecrats," were forced out of the National Democratic Party at the 1948 convention. After trying and failing to make it as a third party they migrated to the Republican party. President Johnson's civil rights measures completed their move.
  • Pm RogerCo... 2012/05/12 23:09:47
    Pm
    And interracial marriage isn't "condemned" by the republican party either. SO why did you even bring it up?
  • RogerCo... Pm 2012/05/12 23:23:13
    RogerCoppock
    Interracial marriage was condemned by the National Republican Party up until the mid 1960's. It was in numerous state and national GOP platforms. There are still Republicans who do not believe in 'race mixing.'

(4 decades ago, a Republican public school administration threw me and my school dance date out of school for half a year. I am white, she is black.)
  • Pm RogerCo... 2012/05/13 03:39:28
    Pm
    And in the 60s The democrats said they would do something about women's rights. JFK didn't even bring it up once after he got elected....The Republicans pushed through the equal rights bill.
    IN the 4 decades ago both democrats and republicans were against interracial couples. 40 years later, there is no politician who exhibits such behaviour. WE have moved on as a nation, Why cant the libs?
  • RogerCo... Pm 2012/05/13 10:10:23
    RogerCoppock
    "IN the 4 decades ago both democrats and republicans were against interracial couples. 40 years later, there is no politician who exhibits such behaviour. WE have moved on as a nation, Why cant the libs?"

We haven't moved on. Both Santorum and Perry backers were against interracial marriage. Preachers at Rick Perry's prayer event railed against it.
  • Pm RogerCo... 2012/05/14 06:42:30
    Pm
    And many Obama backers are racist against whites...Why does this matter?
  • Tom Pm 2012/05/11 15:27:59
    Tom
    GWB wasn't just moderate on domestic policy, he was left-of-center.
    Spent more money furthering the nanny state than any Republican president in history.
    (Medicare Part D, No Child Left Behind)
    The libs. only hate him because he was right of sanity on foreign policy(interventionist).
    Really, both sides have reasons to think Bush was a horrible President.
    Isn't that the very definition of moderate?
  • Pm Tom 2012/05/12 20:03:05
    Pm
    If I said GWB was moderate, I would of gotten myself into arguments from all the haters. I, for one, think Bush did a good job.
  • Tom Pm 2012/05/14 19:32:36
    Tom
    I don't; but everyone has a right to their opinion...even if it's WRONG:D
  • Elizabeth Fine 2012/05/11 06:32:53
    Elizabeth Fine
    +2
    Thank you.
  • DavidK 2012/05/11 06:24:36 (edited)
  • Jimbo DavidK 2012/05/11 11:31:22
    Jimbo
    +4
    Your post is dumb with a graph that shows GDP problems becoming worse under GOP presidents for 50 years.
  • DavidK Jimbo 2012/05/11 19:07:28
    DavidK
    +1
    More lies from the left. Its how they see it.
  • DavidK Jimbo 2012/05/11 19:15:46
    DavidK
    +1
    shows how the left tries to make themselves look good! Nobody's buying it.
  • jdemme 2012/05/11 03:36:37
    jdemme
    +12
    Great post. Too bad the majority of Soda Headers are factually challenged.
  • Lady Wh... jdemme 2012/05/11 10:15:32
    +3
    hear ya
  • wtxwoman 2012/05/11 03:23:12
    wtxwoman
    +4
    Excellent post!
  • luvguins 2012/05/11 03:08:18
    luvguins
    +5
    Oh, those merciless facts should make some righty heads explode. Plus the socialism the right enjoys daily.
  • Metaldane 2012/05/11 03:01:25
    Metaldane
    +4
    Lol gotta love 19 shows why I dislike the GOP
  • ὤTṻnde΄ӂ 2012/05/11 02:59:52
    ὤTṻnde΄ӂ
    +7
    I love the articles on addictinginfo.org. This is a great one but you know you'll get the batty right wingers saying you're lying but they will never have facts to back up their lies.
    Good post, Progressive...
  • tommyg - POTL- PWCM-JLA 2012/05/11 02:43:06
  • ὤTṻnde΄ӂ tommyg ... 2012/05/11 03:01:23

2014/04/20 08:43:54