What's the closest you've been to a deadly tornado?

Chukroast 2012/04/04 06:39:28
I've only witnessed one close one in Pensacola, Floria circa 1960. I was standing watch as the Flight Duty Officer at NAS Sherman Field. We had grounded all planes when we got the severe weather warning, but, at that time, there was no Doppler radar. The storm hit and, as we watched out the window from the 2nd floor ready room, we witnessed the black funnel cloud touch down about 500 yards to the North of the East -West runway and travel East for about a mile before disappearing. No aircraft were damaged since all were parked South of the runway in front of the hangars, but a number of homes and other structures suffering extensive damage.

When I was a teenager, growing up in Missouri, every Spring there would be at least 3 or 4 tornadoes that would strike within a 75-100 mile radius of my home in St. Louis. Several times my buddies and I drove to the damaged areas just to witness the destruction for ourselves. It wasn't a happy sight-seeing trip. We'd leave, feeling empty and awestruck over the damage that any one of us could face at any time.

Here's a picture of the tornado that struck Rolla, Missouri:

Mo tonado

• Crime Time 2012/04/04 10:22:24
  • Chukroast Crime Time 2012/04/06 06:25:03
    Chukroast
    +1
    Continue to live in the Middlewest and you'll have your opportunity again.
  • Crime Time Chukroast 2012/04/06 06:32:45
  • caroline† 2012/04/04 07:38:45
    caroline†
    Pretty close within 2 miles.. Last April 27th we got hit by quite a few in North Alabama which knocked out our power for a week.. Worst storm I have ever experienced.
  • JustMe 2012/04/04 06:46:19
    JustMe
    The closest I have ever been to one was when I was coming home from work a while ago. I was going to stop where I usually got my cigarettes, but forgot to. I saw that it looked like rain, but gave it no thought until I got home and my dad asked me If I saw the tornado that went through and took out the museum in this little village on the way home. I told him that nothing happened to it and it was fine. We argued back and forth about it, until I finally told him that I drove by it ten minutes ago and it was fine, to which he said that his cousin called and said the tornado went through five minutes ago.
  • Chukroast JustMe 2012/04/06 06:21:43
    Chukroast
    With tornadoes, it's a toss of the dice whether it's you or your next door neighbor that goes.
  • User Deactivated 2012/04/04 06:40:54
    User Deactivated
    A few miles away. Far enough away from it not to see it, but close enough to be concerned that it could be coming my way. The weather alarm was going off downtown. I live in Michigan, so we get quite a few tornados at times

2014/04/21 09:40:43