What would you do if your child one day came up to you, and said "I don't like this body, I want to be a *insert opposite sex*"?

oy 2007/10/23 04:50:12
Taken from: http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=3088298

"From the moment we're born, our gender identity is no secret. We're either a boy or a girl. Gender organizes our world into pink or blue. As we grow up, most of us naturally fit into our gender roles. Girls wear dresses and play with dolls. For boys, it's pants and trucks.

But for some children, what's between their legs doesn't match what's between their ears -- they insist they were born into the wrong body. They are transgender children, diagnosed with gender identity disorder, and their parents insist this is not a phase. (....) "

My Daughter's Brave Choice:
http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conway/TS/International/Germa...

Transitioning Early in Life:
http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conway/TS/TS-IIa.html#anchor1...

• Gramma Lil 2007/10/23 05:51:12
    Unconditional love. They're my babies, and I will be there for them no matter...
    Gramma Lil
    +8
    My children are grown and I have not had to go thru anything like this....but my grandkids are still little so you never know til they know. I'd love them no matter what they chose for their lives....male or female...they'd still be my babies.

• jer 2009/06/10 02:48:18
    jer
    god I hope I'm that strong should that day come but, I'll do it
  • person 2008/10/22 02:10:20
    person
    +1
    im too young to have children but if, in the future, this happened with my child i would still love them and let them wear/play with (toys) whatever they wanted. i feel like im in the wrong gendered body and i used to wear guys clothes and used to play with guys toys but my mum accused me of having a mental problem. so for years ive worn girls clothes and been unhappy, but when im an adult im going to just be myself and i wont have my mum to make my life any more miserable. im not sure about surgery though, for me or if i have a child. but its the childs choice when theyre older.
  • runningintriangles 2008/05/22 03:28:53
    runningintriangles
    +1
    If for some reason I had a child and this happened, I'd accept it. I'd encourage them to be themselves and help in any way possible.
  • Cassidy 2008/03/13 13:06:32
    Cassidy
    +2
    I'm 41 years old and I've lived in the wrong-gendered body all my life. It sucks. I'd help them with their transition in any way I could and encourage them not to make the same mistake I did.
  • oy Cassidy 2008/06/05 23:28:35
    oy
    *hugs*
  • chris 2008/02/14 14:51:29
    I honestly don't know, but I hope I would......
    chris
    be there for them. in whatever goes on. i wouldn't like it. But this life is way to short not to be happy.
  • Maria 2008/01/26 22:45:40
    Maria
    well really parents job to teach what is right and wrong, but don't give it okay all the time.
    need sit down and tell them the truth that there are crazy world of change and there are vareity of problems intend to pop up more. need to education kid before it too late.
  • Pat 2007/11/28 18:12:01
    There would be some long, deep discussions. Every girl who thinks she wants to be a boy at some time in her life doesn't always really want to be a boy and vise versa. When I was a child I wanted to dress & act like my brothers just because it seemed like more freedom to me. I got over that and found my own freedoms. This is most definately not something easily dealt with and age has a lot to do with the realities.
  • reed 2007/11/19 08:48:13
    reed
    +1
    really this is ridiculous - each sex has it's pro and cons hopefully a good shrink could help him/her see the way to enjoying the body god gave them!
  • Kitten 2007/11/13 20:35:50
    Kitten
    After vomiting, I would try to figure out a way to deal with it.
  • ThatGirl 2007/10/28 08:05:46
    ThatGirl
    +1
    Be understandable and help them to make an educated, well-planned decision. I don't have kids so it's not something I have to worry about... whew! :o)
  • deana 2007/10/28 07:50:03
    deana
    but it might just be a phase. i'd wait a few years, and if they still wanted a sex change i'd do what i could to help them. unless they're already an adult when they decide this. then i couldn't stop them even if i wanted to. so i'd help them if necessary, and hope that they don't change their mind after getting it done.
  • Brit 2007/10/25 03:24:57
    Brit
    My love wouldn't be conditioned on their desires, but I would, as a loving mother, try to understand and even help re-guide that desire. (so glad this is hypothetical)
  • ARMENTHIA 2007/10/25 02:19:22 (edited)
    ARMENTHIA
    I actually said that CENTURIES...ago.

I wanted to be a male because I thought males got away with saying and doing anything. They were justified.

They didn't get to actually care about things...and have their hearts broken....and they got to walk away from being daddys....so I thought hey...I want to be one of them.

NO CHANCE! (giggling)

God wasn't hearing from me. (laughing)

He said....uh...Armenthia....I wonderfully and fearfully made you......so....

I'm still a female...and oh well...life goes on. (laughing)

I'm good as is. (giggling)....and my son?

Well...he says....NO WAY would I ever wish to be a female.

You guys got it rough!

I love that guy. (laughing) He knows truth. (laughing)
  • Darling Biscuits 2007/10/25 01:36:50
    Darling Biscuits
    +1
    I'd try and explain how hard it would be to make that sort of transition, and I would make sure that there was plenty of research and therapy done beforehand. But I would support and love them no matter what.
  • Glenda 2007/10/24 14:47:40
    Glenda
    But my children seem to be the way they are "supposed" to be right now. As a child though, I specifically remember my dad telling me, after helping him lift a refridgerator up the stairs of one of his apartment buildings, "ya know, you have the right body but the wrong plumbing." I've always been a large boned German girl. That comment always stuck with me. Thank God I was able to find a man that loves me for me!
  • Dawn 2007/10/24 04:01:21
    Dawn
    +1
    I would support my childs decision the best I can. To me it would be their choice. If my child felt that she/he could not live in their bodies as they are, then they should be allowed to change. In the end it's not going to change my love for either of them.
  • Milk Maid 2007/10/24 02:20:23
    Milk Maid
    +2
    I watched Transamerica....it helped me understand a little more....I wouldn't prefer it that way but if one of my children was like that then I would support and love them no matter what...I may not understand it deep in my head but love is stronger that understanding.
  • Bear 2007/10/24 01:00:31
    Bear
    +1
    be able to listen.
  • Patty Ann 2007/10/24 00:38:33
    Patty Ann
    +1
    They're your children, no matter what. Why would you not continue to love them unconditionally?
  • Regulus [99 - INSHALLAH] 2007/10/23 22:54:56
    Regulus [99 - INSHALLAH]
    They have free will.
  • NICKI70 2007/10/23 19:03:25
    NICKI70
    +1
    I am not saying I wouldnt be shcoked or cry or scream I WOULD but when they day is done life is too short and I love all my kids no matter what.
  • MandaPanda 2007/10/23 18:01:17
    MandaPanda
    It would be kinda hard to get used to, but I WOULD get used to it because I always want to be supportive of my son, and would never want to alienate him for something as harmless as that.
  • Stephanie K 2007/10/23 17:53:22
    Stephanie K
    I don't think there's anything my child could say or do, to question my love for them.
  • Kanaka Rican - Now's the ti... 2007/10/23 17:27:29 (edited)
    Kanaka Rican - Now's the time for ACTION
    +1
    not react negative. I already have good relationships with my kids and the only thing to do from there, besides love them and talk to them, would be to pray and then pray some more for guidance and know that God is in control.
  • La Saria 2007/10/23 17:21:39
    La Saria
    Thats cool. Whatevah floats ya boat
  • Emily MCRmy [FTDM!!!!] 2007/10/23 17:17:15
    Emily MCRmy [FTDM!!!!]
    Exactly what it says.
    I'll support them and love them forever.
  • Corey 2007/10/23 16:38:35
    Corey
    +1
    I guess it'd be time to go wig shopping/mustache shopping (depending on the sex)
  • Smokey 2007/10/23 16:20:04
    Smokey
    ask why they want to be different.
  • chilton~T~ 2007/10/23 16:10:00
    chilton~T~
    +1
    I would just love them. If they wanted to dress differently that would be fine. No surgery, though. That is a decision for an adult to make. A child would just need love and a mom they could talk to.
  • Cassie 2007/10/23 16:00:08
    Cassie
    First we would go to therapy and if they thought it was just a phase and not something serious, I'd let my kid dress up and act however he /she wanted in the house. If the doctor thought that my child actually had a genuine gender identity crisis, I'd let my child live the life that they want with all my support.
  • taurnguard 2007/10/23 15:33:02
    I'd find someone who could fix them! Not MY child!
    taurnguard
    I'd be worried if my child was having thoughts like that THAT early in his or her life.
  • HAIRMD..Slingin' hair and t... 2007/10/23 14:41:04
    HAIRMD..Slingin' hair and takin' names!
    I can't imagine it happening. So I have no idea.
  • dakotayont 2007/10/23 14:18:41
    dakotayont
    Yes all children deserved unconditional love...that's a guarantee!!! I think this question should require an age....what would you do if they were between this age.....and this age. A child in their early years I would say how would you know? You haven't lived yet? If it's an older child, I would sit down with them and listen to what they say. Try to keep my ears open and be objective. Then I would educate myself. Investigate. Then try to be the best parent that I can be for them with support and love.
  • GEMINII : queen of hope 2007/10/23 13:26:15
    GEMINII : queen of hope
    that right i will stand behind my kids no matter what
  • Sufferer ♏ⒶRGⒶR☝†E 2007/10/23 13:15:46 (edited)
    Sufferer ♏ⒶRGⒶR☝†E
    But I would also try to convince them otherwise. I was a tomboy for the longest time and thought other girls were so boring to play with. I also admit that I find some attractive just as I do for men. When I had a nightmare about having a very large dick a friend started saying I'd be the first person to change their gender and become a homosexual, which I argue that the last wouldn't be true because I would still be XX not XY. It also upset me along some statements in the Bible and wished I was a guy because they seem to have it good and I didn't think much like the girls. I even imagined what it would be like to be male in all aspects because I'm just weird. But in the end, I realized that it doesn't matter what gender I am, I am me and I think however I think no matter what anyone else thinks I should think. Understand?
    Edit to Add: I'm not paying for it though and they aren't getting it while they are under my roof. My home, my rules.
  • Debbie 2007/10/23 12:22:03
    Debbie
    I definately wouldn't be happy about it, but i would love my kids and stand by them no matter what.
  • whatever 2007/10/23 10:54:43
    whatever
    +1
    I love my children and would be there no matter what, BUT we would start off with a long talk and go from there.
  • Michael, Arrivederci e amore 2007/10/23 10:15:44
    Michael, Arrivederci e amore
    +2
    Great poll Marianne. A parents unconditional love is essential for all children. Especially those that are different and misunderstood.
  • Tiff 2007/10/23 09:43:35
    Tiff
    +1
    But I'd be like "are you sure?" What's so wrong with being a boy/girl

2014/04/19 19:51:40