What Do I Give The Homeless People?

Abby 2009/11/02 21:29:31
Every year My mom and I make an extra thanksgiving dinner to give to the homeless. This year I want to make boxes, with the dinner, and other things. My mom said to sort out my thoughts and present her with them once I have it all figured out. So I thought granola bars, chips, blankets, bottled water, and a prayer card. Do you have any other ideas of what I can do? I would really appreciate it! Thank you.

• moomoof 2009/11/11 02:30:33
    You can...
    moomoof
    +5
    Some sweaters or mittens and scarves .... something they really need

I like to donate can foods and money .. plus good used cloths

• Mr.Goat 2013/01/20 00:38:16
    You can...
    Mr.Goat
    You can give them Gift Cards to Restaurants like Subway and they can pick out what they want to eat.Also you can give them warm clothes and mittens, hats, scarfs. Gift Cards allow them to actually choose what they like. :D " Whoever has a bountiful eye will be blessed, for he shares his bread with the poor."-Proverbs 22:9
  • sam Bright 2012/07/23 01:39:42
    You can...
    sam Bright
    I love the ideal!!! Let's do want the World wants us to do.
  • marcos melo 2012/03/14 23:24:47
    You can...
    marcos melo
    Food, Clothes......WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? GO AND GIVE THEM EVERY THING A HUMAN NEED
  • claire 2011/10/23 22:55:27
    You can...
    claire
    +1
    i think every saturday people should help the homeless, coz no one would like living on the streets at night, we should have a big dinner in every suburb to help feeded the homeless. i think their should be a place for them to sleep and be safe.
  • jamie 2011/03/27 09:43:13
    You can...
    jamie
    +1
    ummm....I'm a christian so I belive that giving them the gift of life which is the BIBLE, is the only way to restore life.without GOD we are only worthy to be dirt! But GOD sent his one and only son to die on the cross for us! all we have to do is accept. Our life is only NOTHING to entirnity, you have to choose wether you want to be in heaven or hell. Thats why I think that we should be giving the gift of LIFE!
  • Lauren ... jamie 2012/03/15 20:41:49
    Lauren Mulford
    +4
    And yet the BIBLE says, "If a brother needs food, give it." (paraphrased)

http://www.esvbible.org/searc...
  • ~HopelessRomanticM17~ 2010/06/05 22:47:08
    You can...
    ~HopelessRomanticM17~
    +2
    Donate clothes
  • whiskey 2009/11/12 15:13:36
    You can...
    whiskey
    +1
    give hope hope
  • turtledove123 2009/11/12 15:06:06
    You can...
    turtledove123
    +1
    What you want to give them sounds fine with me. The granola bars are more filling than the chips, though. Socks and mittens are great, too. Bless your heart, sweetie. You and your mom are awesome.
  • tooner259 2009/11/11 18:27:42
    You can...
    tooner259
    +2
    rent them a room,so they can get cleaned up and have a secure place to sleep,for a change.Maybe start a program where people pool their money for this.Clean clothes,especially underwear.
  • Foxylady 2009/11/11 16:26:25
    Foxylady
    +3
    That is a beautiful thing you are doing.. I've done the same thing here in Los Angeles. There is a place here in LA called skidrow, where my friends and I feed the homeless.. It's great feeling giving to the need.. It breaks my heart when there are children there, so small.. Just by you being there sweetie is more then enough.. Good Job
  • beda 2009/11/11 16:00:02
    You can...
    beda
    +2
    normal things like salt and sugar, a warm hat and cloves..
    But hey, Abby, I wish everyone of us could do the same thing that u're doing with ur mum! Amazing! I love that! I don't even have words to discribe how happy i'm that you're doing such!
  • ShahnazRoxs(: 2009/11/11 15:51:56
    You can...
    ShahnazRoxs(:
    +1
    give them love and support.
  • Kiss my Bean 2009/11/11 15:16:54
    You can...
    Kiss my Bean
    +2
    We have a place here called "Ladies of Charity." their clothing room is free, they do not sell things at ridiculous prices like the Salvation Army. I give EVERTHING I don't want to them, people need the oddest things sometimes. I gave them CDs,. DVDs, books, clothes, hangers, cloth, etc.
  • Scars Remain (aka Vicki) 2009/11/11 03:30:51
    You can...
    Scars Remain (aka Vicki)
    +2
    Socks are always a good choice, along with mittens, hats, scarves. Most of a person's heat is lost out of their head, also if their feet are warm, the rest of the body will feel warm. You have a great idea with blankets. Anything to keep them warm.
    Also I have found peanut butter and bread to be a great thing to give. Peanut butter will hold up after the jar is opened. A whole grain bread will also be good for fiber and nutrition.
    Jerkey, dried fruits, cereal bars are also good choices. Fresh fruit if possible. Bottled water.
    One thing to remember, a homeless person does travel a bit, and must be able to carry these items with them. You can get some good information for homeless shelters on items that would be beneficial. I also think of my own son with the Boy Scouts and what he needed for survival, you may want to check out those items.
  • Angelique ~ Pfffft! ;)~ 2009/11/11 03:06:46
    You can...
    Angelique ~ Pfffft!  ;)~
    +2
    Socks, gloves, scarves, again, socks. You'd be surprised at how much a few pair of socks mean to people who don't have any.
  • artist1963-Progressive Patr... 2009/11/11 02:50:13 (edited)
    You can...
    artist1963-Progressive Patriot for Change
    +2
    Canned goods...hygiene items, diapers and clothing. When I have a rummage sale, whatever does not sell, we donate to our local Christian Outreach Center. Everyone has something they're no longer using or need that another w/b grateful for.
    Edit to add: You are very kind to think about those less fortunate to do this for them. I should have said that FIRST.
  • Razia 2009/11/11 02:33:29
    You can...
    Razia
    +2
    The least you can give thm is respect. It never fails.
  • Moderated 2009/11/11 02:31:42
    You can...
    Moderated
    +3
    I wish I knew how to get a hold of people like you in the Dallas area. We always need volunteers to help, during holidays, at our detox facility. They appear to be pretty scarce.
  • Mrs. Pea Moderated 2012/10/08 01:30:10
    Mrs. Pea
    +1
    I know this was written a very long time ago but I live in Dallas and am wanting to help the homeless. I'm making bags this week and looking to go out and find some homeless ppl to give them to. Please let me know if you get this message
  • moomoof 2009/11/11 02:30:33
    You can...
    moomoof
    +5

• James 2009/11/11 02:29:55
    You can...
    James
    +1
    A bible.
  • Asher 2009/11/11 02:29:19
    You can...
    Asher
    +3
    do this...
    this young boy is dying of cancer. his last wish is to recieve alot of christmas cards....anyone and everyone send them to this address for this little boy
    Noah Biorkman
    c/o Scott Biorkman
    3480 Petosky Way
    Milford, MI
    48380
  • Suzie 2009/11/11 02:05:47
    Suzie
    +3
    Seriosly people? Have a heart!! Homeless people don't want old raggedy clothes!! People don't want your leftover pizza crusts!! They want food stamps, gift cards to local resteraunts, bus tokens, bedding, clothes, pajamas, suitcases, toiletries, books, art supplies, watches, silverware, plates, cups, alarm clocks, tv converter boxes, brown paper bags, shampoo and conditioner, toiletries, supplies, diapers, folders, school supplies, books, long distance phone call tokens, bikes, scooters, sleeping bags, toothbrushes, etc. Also, if you have kids, you probubly have millions of Halloween costumes, kickballs, soccer balls, footballs, and jump ropes that are rotting in your attic, garage, or basement. DONATE THOSE!! If they are in GOOD SHAPE, the people you're donating to would really appreciate it!! Go to www.google.com and type in "local homeless shelters" There are more things you can do to help than you think!! Go, make the world a better place!
  • girlygi388 2009/11/03 14:24:53
    You can...
    girlygi388
    +1
    give some old raggedy clothes that don't no longer fit u
  • WithEyesClosed 2009/11/02 23:36:43
    You can...
    WithEyesClosed
    +1
    Do not give them money! There is a huge percentage of people on the streets who are not homeless and are in fact packing money who just use that as a way to get extra cash. Who doesn't have some old raggedy clothes in the back of their closet? Give them food or food stamps. Give them an extra jacket or shoes. Give them physical things other than money. That money could carelessly go to drugs or alcohol just for them to still be homeless. You can also tell them about the nearest shelter if it's winter or you don't have the money to buy them food. Or, if you really feel that uncomfortable, don't give them anything. It's 'heartless' but better than giving a druggie money for drugs.
  • Mmetcalf WithEye... 2011/12/30 02:29:36 (edited)
    Mmetcalf
    +1
    You can give them scarves,blankets,leg warmers, hats, food stamps, blanket, food, clothes and a tiny pillow. Don't give them money because anyone has raggedy clothes in the back of their closet an have money with them and just try to get extra money. For Christmas I got a knitting machine and I am making leg warmers, scarves , hats and pot holders. We are going to find a place down town and take it to a place for people that need stuff and the good thing is that everything there is FREE!!! I hope you can take stuff to help the homeless too!!! Sweetie I think what me and you are doing is
    great we can make the world a better place!!!WithEyesClosed it is true don't give them money!!!
  • Richie 2009/11/02 23:17:41
    You can...
    Richie
    +1
    directions to the homeless shelter and medication
  • <--That guy 2009/11/02 23:10:10
    You can...
    <--That guy
    +1
    You could give them houses. I'm sure that would make them really happy.
  • Angela Jonas 2009/11/02 22:31:00
    You can...
    Angela Jonas
    +1
    well at school we have canned food drives and stuff
    but one time my dad saw a homeless man when we were walking to our car coming out of old chicago so he gave the man the left over pizza we had!
  • WithEye... Angela ... 2009/11/02 23:37:07
    WithEyesClosed
    +1
    Perfect! Good job!
  • Team Jonas and Team Jacob 2009/11/02 22:10:01
    You can...
    Team Jonas and Team Jacob
    +2
    you can give them canned vegitables,fruits,meats,and maybe some.....you know,grains/breads.And then for Thanksgiving,maybe send them some stuffing maybe,and some turkey,and then for Christmas like give them a couple of usefull things like you know,nice WARM jackets,and maybe a stuffed animal or 2.Thats sweet that your giving away things for the homeless.You are so thoughtful
  • WithEye... Team Jo... 2009/11/02 23:37:39
    WithEyesClosed
    +1
    Sounds good to me!
  • Team Jo... WithEye... 2009/11/04 00:03:51
  • Abby Team Jo... 2009/11/03 01:15:57
    Abby
    +1
    yeah just cuz they're homeless doesn't mean they don't need their grains! haha and thanks!!! : )
  • kevracer 2009/11/02 21:56:13
    You can...
    kevracer
    +3
    give a couple of pairs of new socks pair socks
  • kmay 2009/11/02 21:37:17 (edited)
    You can...
    kmay
    +1
    Give money to the Rescue Missions for the homeless or give items and they will distribute to most needy. At our mission we can buy dinner [s] at a cost of 2.97 each at Thanksgiving and other holidays. They will also give your suggestions.

Save sample toiletries you get at hotels and donate them.

Buy can goods at stores like Cosco and donate them.

Give toys and books at Christmas.

Donate all your old clothes.
  • tammerz/zɹǝɯɯɐʇ 2009/11/02 21:32:36
    You can...
    tammerz/zɹǝɯɯɐʇ
    +2
    You can think about including baby food and diapers if you give the boxes to homeless people with children. You could also think about including trial size mouthwash, toothbrushes, etc.
  • Abby tammerz... 2009/11/02 21:33:42
    Abby
    +2
    oh yeah toiletries! than you!
  • *hollywood_undead* 2009/11/02 21:31:25
    You can...
    *hollywood_undead*
    +1
    give them canned food in a basket and give them a can opener

2014/04/18 01:41:04