Should Children Be Banned From Red-Eye Flights?

mrosen814 2012/08/09 18:00:00
Business travelers usually anticipate to rest during red-eye flights, so they're fresh for AM meetings. However, sleep-time often gets interrupted by crying babies and noisy children.

According to TimesUnion.com, “Malaysia Airlines this summer introduced a no-kids section some aircraft flying between Kuala Lumpur and London. And another Malaysian airline, AirAsia X announced it would create a ‘quiet zone’ in the first eight rows of the economy section of some aircraft starting early next year. Both moves seem designed to let passengers sleep on overnight flights.” Do you think children should be banned from red-eye flights?

kids

Read More: http://blog.timesunion.com/gettingthere/thursday-p...

• Jay Calderone 2012/08/13 17:13:03
    No, parents shouldn't be treated differently than anyone else
    Jay Calderone
    i don't care because i can just listen to music.
  • jeremyperryfranz 2012/08/13 16:33:08
    Yes, they keep other travelers awake
    jeremyperryfranz
    Other peoples kids (OPK's) are very annoying and should be drugged and stuffed in the overhead compartment during any flight peoples kids opks annoying drugged stuffed overhead compartment flight peoples kids opks annoying drugged stuffed overhead compartment flight
  • mac9 2012/08/13 15:10:55
    mac9
    Nuff said
  • don nh 460 2012/08/13 14:43:07
    don nh 460
    So what's next any teething kid that's on a flight must be checked with the luggage and family dog before a flight?
    What is the benchmark? Who decides? How do you initiate this?
    Quit your whinning, put on your eye sleeping mask, stick in some cotton in your ears and enjoy your friggen flight !
    Or better yet take a train and mind your own business .
  • Dickens 2012/08/13 14:43:06
    Yes, they keep other travelers awake
    Dickens
    ...they should ride with the baggage on all flights..
  • DizziNY 2012/08/13 13:53:48 (edited)
    Yes, they keep other travelers awake
    DizziNY
    It's unfair to people who want to sleep, especially if they have meetings to go to in the AM.
  • Katie 2012/08/13 02:20:08
    Yes, they keep other travelers awake
    Katie
    One of my few vacation nightmares involved a five year old slamming his entire body into the back of my seat on a red eye flight home - before we even took off. I can't count how many times I gave the parents the evil eye and asked them to watch/control their kid, but they continued to ignore him and let him keep me and the whole plane up with his yelling and kicking. A flight attendant finally took pity on me and let me move to an empty seat farther up the plane.
  • lmnlme10921 2012/08/13 01:05:58
    Yes, they keep other travelers awake
    lmnlme10921
    But in the controlled way that the article states. Don't throw them off the plane completely, but do allow a place for those who need some peace and quiet. I've been traveling on planes since before I can remember, with all of my family's moves and vacations. My parents made sure that I behaved. Sure, you can't really tell a baby to stop crying, but some parents won't even get on to their four year olds that are screaming at the top of their lungs. And the worst are those little ones who like to pretend the headrest of the seat in front of them is the perfect place for their action figure's hideout. A lot of parents know how to keep their child from disturbing others, but those who haven't quite mastered that skill ruin it for fellow travelers. So, yes, I think putting restrictions on children for overnight flights could be a good idea.
  • chrystal97 2012/08/12 23:00:41
    I'd prefer they ban anyone who snores or tries to talk to me for the entire f...
    chrystal97
    I think anyone who disrupts the flight should be banned. Weather it's the unruly children or inattentive parent. or if it's the person who won't shut the hell up. It should be at the discretion of the airline and at the passengers expense. I didn't have that child, why should i have to listen to it? Oh, and if you snore, i will wake you up every time just so i don't have to listen to it anymore.
  • Teresa 2012/08/12 22:00:00
    Teresa
    That also includes crying babies. I'm not into giving drugs to childs, but sometimes...
  • Bear 2012/08/12 21:32:18
    Yes, they keep other travelers awake
    Bear
    Though I like the idea of "quiet zones" and such if they have doors or some such to block noise.
  • Steelshrt 2012/08/12 21:07:45
  • addie 2012/08/12 20:47:06
    addie
    Children should always be banned from everything!
  • jeane 2012/08/12 20:34:05
    jeane
    +2
    No but some parents should be.
  • Ozymandias 2012/08/12 20:28:42
    Yes, they keep other travelers awake
    Ozymandias
    I don't know if they should be banned, but I think they should at least limit the number of children on red eye flights. Any responsible parent would make sure the child gets ample rest and not put them on a red eye flight.
  • ~Here Comes The Sun~ 2012/08/12 16:19:11
    ~Here Comes The Sun~
    So parents cant travel ? wth
  • S.Lewis 2012/08/12 13:22:53
    S.Lewis
    Any disturbances should be banned, including children who are prone to get restless.
  • The heartless 2012/08/12 11:49:50 (edited)
    Yes, they keep other travelers awake
    The heartless
    Kids are a pain the ass anywhere you go! It's even worse if you are in a confined space ie a bus. When we went on a holiday a few years back and we took a bus...it as the longest trip ever and these kids ,they kick your seat and they scream, whine and cry and moan and unless you give them something to do they will always cause a scene. Children should be seen and NOT HEARD PERIOD.
  • TKramar 2012/08/12 08:45:16
    TKramar
    +1
    If you want to sleep, then you'll sleep. In fact, they'll probably be sleeping themselves.
  • You Know IT 2012/08/12 07:46:16
    You Know IT
    just keep em quiet and it's good, plus i swear airlines give like free headphones or something, listen to some crappy music and go to sleep.
  • Kingarthurup 2012/08/12 04:34:06
    Yes, they keep other travelers awake
    Kingarthurup
    I would like to be banned also
  • Gwen 2012/08/12 03:20:34
    Gwen
    Also, people with a bad cough or those that seem annoyed when you sit down next to them. I don't mind being quiet throughout the trip, but a easy going demeanor is going to make me feel better about myself sitting next to you.
  • venus 2012/08/11 22:47:49
    venus
    and besides if they annoy someone then it's their problem
  • Gwen venus 2012/08/12 03:21:51
    Gwen
    Have you ever flown?
  • venus Gwen 2012/08/12 04:19:23
    venus
    yes i've flown
  • Portholus venus 2012/08/12 20:23:46
    Portholus
    +1
    Obiviously not enough it seems. It is NOT the problem of the person being bugged by the kid it is the parents for not taking better control. I am sure the parent would raise the roof if you turned around and yelled at their child for being a nusience
  • venus Portholus 2012/08/13 03:30:27
    venus
    your right i don't travel alot and your also right that the parents would't like me yelling at their kids but you don't you realize that theirs kids in everywhere theirs , in the mall , in the cinema , in restaurants and cafes , theirs are kids that are annoying and theirs kids that are adorable and quiet , you just can't ban children from flying because some kids are annoying .
  • Rob 2012/08/11 17:59:24
    Yes, they keep other travelers awake
    Rob
    +1
    Unless they are sedated, please keep them at home.
  • no1ymfan 2012/08/11 15:02:11
    Yes, they keep other travelers awake
    no1ymfan
    Well actually I don't mind I just put on headphones and block the little snots out. But can't you just go first class to avoid them? Haha just kidding times are tough to flying like a king
  • ♥K14 2012/08/11 14:58:07
    Yes, they keep other travelers awake
    ♥K14
    +2
    They should just ban children from all flights. And buses. and restaurants, cinemas, shops...
    Children just shouldn't be allowed in public. Too damn annoying.
  • Josh Robinson 2012/08/11 13:27:45
    Josh Robinson
    +4
    That's why i keep a morphine lollypop in my baggage... '' Miss... Miss... may I give the child a candy''..? morphine lollypop baggage child candy
  • Curmudgeon Josh Ro... 2012/08/12 02:54:45
    Curmudgeon
    If you had a business selling those you for sure would not need a job. ;)
  • ~Here C... Josh Ro... 2012/08/12 16:22:00
    ~Here Comes The Sun~
    +1
    HAHA!!!
  • Witch.Nikki.Jo 2012/08/11 08:01:33
  • BOUNTYQUEEN 2012/08/11 05:47:21
    Yes, they keep other travelers awake
    BOUNTYQUEEN
    +1
    Even tough I flew with my 2 kids a lot when they were very young, I didn't have the problems that are going on now. I made sure they had toys, books, etc and what every finger food they could eat. Never had a time when they screamed or caused a scene on a plane...lucky I guess. But now many parents just ignore the "bad" behavior and don't care how their kids effect others around them. People are too afraid to discipline today.
  • Witch.N... BOUNTYQ... 2012/08/11 08:10:12
  • emoanimegirl1000 2012/08/11 05:38:02
    emoanimegirl1000
    +1
    -_-... They are children, They are obviously going to be noisy. You were like that once let them have a turn
  • BOUNTYQ... emoanim... 2012/08/11 05:49:39
    BOUNTYQUEEN
    +2
    But don't you think the parents should keep the kids under control instead of allowing rude and loud behavior. There is a difference between playing/talking and screaming and constant crying.
  • emoanim... BOUNTYQ... 2012/08/11 05:56:20
    emoanimegirl1000
    +1
    And a difference in Ages. I can agree but if its like a kindergardener I cant stand it sometimes, But im a student mentor so Im getting use to it. But if its a baby I can understand
  • ~Here C... BOUNTYQ... 2012/08/12 16:24:38
    ~Here Comes The Sun~
    +1
    Thats why parents should keep them amused and discipline them....

2014/04/20 03:40:17