Power Grid Collapse: Hundreds of Millions of People in India Without Electricity: Are You Ready for a Major Power Outage?

Daryl 2012/07/31 18:00:00
***UPDATE*** Second blackout means 670 million people without power.

NEW DELHI (AP) -- Northern India's power grid crashed Monday, halting trains, forcing hospitals and airports onto backup power and providing a dark reminder of the nation's inability to feed a growing hunger for energy as it strives to become an economic power.

india power outage

Read More: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AS_INDIA_PO...

• Pedro Doller ~Inc. 2012/08/07 09:50:50
    Pedro Doller ~Inc.
    +1
    India is in the shape it is because they cut corners. They want the end product but didn't put in the years of sacrifice to have something better. Their economic boom doesn't come from bringing something to the table, but from stealing something away from someone else. Once they have mastered basic sanitation I'll take the rest more seriously. Too bad US companies don't agree and they need to loose their asses before they wake up.

That was the Apples part of the question, now on to the oranges.

Our grid is vulnerable. It is antiquated and one thing could lead to a domino effect. The latest trendy thing the 0 and his EPA are doing is massively taking coal power generation off line.

Cool, Eh? Wrong!

This will over task the remaining generation and transmission, make the possibility of a black out much more likely. Never let a Lawyer, of even a fake Lawyer do anything.
  • marcuss LIBERALS ARE IDIOTS 2012/08/03 00:46:35
    marcuss LIBERALS ARE IDIOTS
    +1
    I have a diesel generator and I make my own bio fuel. My truck is diesel so I wont have a problem getting to where I need to go. The garden is coming into its own and the freezer is full of venison so I dont need a grocery store. If you are not prepared for possible bad times you will have to depend on others for your survival and times such as that will bring out the beast in most people.

Dont worry about the dog, BEWARE of the owner.
  • Marlene... marcuss... 2012/09/05 08:51:51
    Marlene Wilkins
    +2
    Push-to-shove, we'll fade into the woods and live very well and happily. But, aside from that, we're quite ready for when the SHTF.
    Water's not an issue, there's a good sized stream nearby, a small river, and we can flick a lever and divert the raingutters into collection tanks, through a filter-trap tank, in the basement, and backyard under the deck.
    Power, we're independent. Gas, don't use it. Food...farm country and wild game is a short walk away--or wait for a deer to wander through the neighbourhood.
    And if Edmonton gets nuked, we're far enough out that it's not an issue. :-)
  • jumpboots 187th PIR 2012/08/02 23:06:01
    jumpboots 187th PIR
    +1
    I can and have lived of the land.And I have enought supplies to last a long while.
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2012/08/02 20:37:16 (edited)
    MOMMA THOMAS
    ELECTRICAL OUTAGES HAPPEN EVERY SUMMER IN L.A. DURING VERY HOT TEMPS. ....EVERYBODY IN THE COUNTY TURNS ON THEIR AIR CONDITIONER FULL BLAST ALL DAY AND NIGHT. WE REMOVED OUR AIR CONDITIONERS, ..USE WINDOW FANS. WE HAVE A SMALL GENERATOR, A PROPANE GRILL OUT IN THE YARD, (BATTERY) LANTERNS, CANDLES AND LOTS OF MATCHES.
  • Bunk11 2012/08/02 20:06:42
    Bunk11
    I should buy a generator. My whole house runs on electricity. Even my oil & coal heat use electricity.
  • Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2012/08/02 14:43:17 (edited)
    Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Bad news America.These kinds of major power disruptions could very well happen in our future.Thanks to the Greenie Weenies at the EPA.

The EPA is shutting down a large number of America's coal-fired electric power plants,all over the country.,in the cause of reducing CO2 emissions.Without adding any significant electric power generating infrastructure to replace this major loss of electric power generating sources.

So we can now expect a bleak future of much higher electric bills.And the strained American electric power infrastructure will be hard-pressed to provide power to all American consumers.Without electricity rationing,brown-outs,rolling black outs & the occasional massive power black-out!
  • shadow76 2012/08/02 14:16:50
    shadow76
    +1
    Owebama is going after coal too. That is what we will have.
  • Stevern... shadow76 2012/08/03 16:24:13
    Steverno~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Yep...and he told Americans (At least the ones that were listening.) he was going to bankrupt anyone that construct a new coal-fired electric power plant,in 2008!

Obama  going to bankrupt   anyone that construct a new coal fired electric power plant
  • shadow76 Stevern... 2012/08/03 23:22:21
    shadow76
    +1
    And his followers love this monster...wanting to hurd everyone into cities then cutting their power, so he can have power!
  • Angelic Kitty 2012/08/02 11:50:22
    Angelic Kitty
    +1
    I go insane if the power is out just for even one day, haha. I would go crazy without my pc/internet.

Hug computer
  • chris.haynees 2012/08/02 05:31:05
    chris.haynees
    I got my bug-out bag to.
  • chris.h... chris.h... 2012/08/02 05:39:02
  • chris.h... chris.h... 2012/08/02 05:41:09
  • flowerlady112 2012/08/02 05:09:28
    flowerlady112
    I meant to vote YES I am ready! I have been prepping for emergencies for years and my family and I are good to go!
  • Tom 2012/08/02 02:37:35
    Tom
    Prep to Live
  • actionjksn 2012/08/02 02:23:49
    actionjksn
    I have a 7000 continuous watt Generac generator with 8750 surge watts. So yeah I'm ready for it. Though I would hate to have to run it for much more than a couple of days, but I would.
  • Maiko 2012/08/01 21:54:58
    Maiko
    Many of us are hardly prepared for any kind of disaster. Hence why I have recently started to make a disaster kit. It's not that expensive to create one. I think everyone should have one. We never know when something can happen.
  • Louisa - Enemy of the State 2012/08/01 21:40:59
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    +1
    I'm not ready but I know that it could happen here. Our infrastructure is aged and crumbling. Four years ago obama promised that the stimulus money was going to be applied to roads, grids, bridges, etc. Never happened. And where's the money? Oh, not "the" money......where is OUR money!!
  • Bill 2012/08/01 19:51:58
    Bill
    +1
    Oh, the humanity. I did contribute one AAA battery to thier cause. I can only hope it helps. However, I did save one for myself, just in case Obama's energy policy gets through.
  • dragon88 2012/08/01 18:17:08
    dragon88
    +2
    I guess this means that U.S. tech support is down.
  • Louisa ... dragon88 2012/08/01 21:42:31
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    That's what I assumed but I got through a couple of times. ; }
  • David 2012/08/01 17:58:14
    David
    You are right, I should invest in a back up generator!
  • Sperry23 2012/08/01 16:25:32
    Sperry23
    +1
    Back up generator, extra fuel, and low power electrical devices.
  • Louisa ... Sperry23 2012/08/01 21:43:36
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    All of our neighbors have generators.......very LOUD ones! We don't. But I think it's on our list for next year if we still live here in America or Amerika.
  • actionjksn Louisa ... 2012/08/02 02:35:45
    actionjksn
    +1
    I have a big loud generator too. If you want one that isn't so loud and also uses a lot less fuel, then get the new high tech type called an "inverter generator" It also uses about 1/3 less fuel and is smaller. The only real downside is that they are much more expensive still. And probably will be for quite some time to come. A regular generator runs full throttle no matter how much juice you're using while an inverter generator will idle lower when there is less electricity demand.
  • Louisa ... actionjksn 2012/08/02 15:27:10
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    +1
    Thanks! I copied and will give to my husband. But yes, they are probably much higher than they will be. Remember computers in the `80's. Very expensive $3,000.......now you can get one for $400!
  • Firefly 2012/08/01 16:10:34
    Firefly
    I'm a pretty adaptable chick, and

can do without a lot of things,

so yeup, no worries here ~

bring it
  • Grabitz 2012/08/01 16:06:58
    Grabitz
    +1
    Yeah , solar isn't so bad I use it daily.
  • CatX3 2012/08/01 15:57:50
    CatX3
    I'm always ready for any kind of disaster. ;-;
  • ♌βļąƈʞƦơșƐ3033♌ 2012/08/01 15:48:45
  • Osk 2012/08/01 15:13:16
    Osk
    Already went through a major outage in 2003 here in NJ...

• Picasso's Cat 2012/08/01 15:00:45
    Picasso's Cat
    +2
    Pretty much so, Yupp.
    I have a Solar Power Generator that will run my entire home without fule.

solar dont need gas
    Solar don't need gas!
  • Marlene... Picasso... 2012/09/05 08:24:10
    Marlene Wilkins
    +1
    5 billion year fuel supply!! :-D
  • the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA 2012/08/01 14:56:01
    the judgebigdogeagle-~PWCM~JLA
    Went through one during Hurricane Ike.
  • bye 2012/08/01 14:49:21
    bye
    +1
    Nope and the President and his gang of do gooders are currently forcing coal out as an option without nothing to replace it with. More regulations, thus less new power plants and our grid is very old..so it could happen here
  • politicalsoldier 2012/08/01 14:20:26 (edited)
    politicalsoldier
    +2
    Yep, I'm ready to protect my keep.

The ant and the grasshopper, baby. The ant and the grasshopper.

It's amazing, China has heavy rains and "roads and bridges" (you know those things that create businesses) wash out and tens of thousands die. In India, they start buying in to the Global Warming scare and closing down coal-fired power plants, and now what is equal to twice the entire U.S. population is without power. Yet these are the same places that the democrats have been lauding as the wonderful infrastructures we should be mirroring. LOL!
  • Franklin 2012/08/01 13:58:30
    Franklin
    +1
    I have had 6 years to get ready ! anyone who did not start stocking up after the 06 election is a fool and they can just starve for the good of the future-
  • susan 2012/08/01 13:53:54 (edited)
    susan
    Thanks for your question. You just reminded me that I need to fill jugs of water and put them in the freezer. I said yes, but it won't be easy. The worst would be if it happens in winter, though our fireplaces are designed to circulate the heat.

There are only two of us in the house, and we have camping equipment and battery powered devices. If we had children, I suspect the problems would be more difficult.

Don't forget that ice and wind storms in the past few years have left many people here without electricity for many days. They have experienced what can happen.
  • Redneck 2012/08/01 13:42:22
    Redneck
    I'll be fine. we cook with propane and have a 500 gallon tank that will last us a year or better. I grew up without air conditioning and can get used to being without it again. No lights, we'll just go to bed earlier. Only problem is that my well pump runs on electricity, so I'll have to hook up the generator to take showers and such.

2014/04/20 13:30:32