Lanvin Uses Nine Real People For Fall 2012 Campaign: Do We Even Need Professional Models?

Fergie 2012/07/20 19:00:00

SLIDESHOW: Do We Need Professional Models?

1 of 8

Having done one semi-awkward professional photo shoot and watching countless reruns of America's Next Top Model on Virgin America flights, I can attest to the fact that modeling is not as easy as it looks. However, it's definitely not something that only highly trained professional models can do either.

Parisian fashion house Lanvin, proved this point with their new ad campaign in which they hired ordinary people to model their latest designs. So, it's got me thinking: Do we even need professional models -- or should "real people" be the "real models"?

BUSINESSINSIDER.COM reports:
They have real jobs, kinda.
businessinsider reports real jobs kinda

Read More: http://www.businessinsider.com/lanvin-uses-9-real-...

• Sterling 2012/07/21 16:34:24
    Sterling
    +15
    I never knew that models were "fake" people. Use your heads guys, they found people with a certain look (like the girl, who is very pretty), and then PAID them to do their photoshoot. How do you think professional models come into existence?

• Mj PINKYFINGERDOWN 2013/01/15 17:56:32
  • Sean 2012/10/11 09:52:38
    Sean
    So if we get rid of the professional models, and use real people, then continue using those people in future modeling gigs while paying them, what do those people become?
  • Ramón 2012/08/02 06:57:03
    Ramón
    Models? Models? The clothing fits them because they tape, sew, or photoshop them to look good in them. WE NEED REAL PEOPLE in the clothes!
  • rcardon 2012/08/01 16:20:09
    rcardon
    Personally, I'd rather see how the clothes look on real people, not on someone who spends more time at the gym and on the runway that I do at my job.
  • Dave 007 2012/07/29 12:03:32
    Dave 007
    +1
    Hell no. Maybe prices will good down when they don't have to pay millions to some broad just to walk.
  • Tom 2012/07/27 16:03:49
    Tom
    +1
    Super models get paid more in 1 session than a teacher makes in a year. Just for walking and not falling off the edge. Now that is talent.
  • sokoyah 2012/07/26 19:27:54
    sokoyah
    +1
    real people will wok for less and look just as beautiful when made up and dressed
  • Noor 2012/07/26 05:40:22
    Noor
    There is room for both in the fashion biz.
  • LunarRain 2012/07/26 02:16:14
    LunarRain
    +1
    They are to make the clothes look good. Just any person might not do this super tall and thin girls make the clothes look the best showing off the outfit as much as it can be. People will also hire professional models to use their fame to try to get people to pay attention.
  • Tennessee3501 2012/07/24 23:05:12
    Tennessee3501
    +3
    Just pick a pretty girl at random as she walks by!
  • LunarRain Tenness... 2012/07/26 02:17:27
    LunarRain
    +2
    They might not have what it takes or be photogenic.
  • Jessi S 2012/07/24 16:02:39
    Jessi S
    +1
    Okay, I may get some flack for this, but I actually like seeing beautiful people in campaigns, magazines ect. I mean, what's so wrong, exactly, about wanting to put a beautiful face in your ads? We all know that that person does not constitute average, and that some retouching has probably taken place. Hopefully we are all smart enough to deal with it.

That said, I do not support anorexia or unhealthy body image. I think it's fine to have someone with striking features model, but they should be a healthy weight. Not under or overweight. However, if a brand picks the skinnier of two perfectly healthy girls, that's their choice. It's okay as long as she's healthy.

We also need proffesional models because they make it easier for everyone else to do their job. They know what to do backstage, how to walk on a catwalk, how to pose without being awkward,how to behave at a photoshoot and so on. They also have to endure some pretty harsh conditions (imagine having to get into the sea in the middle of winter to do a swimwear shoot ) and also have to travel a lot, often without really enjoying the countries, and work long hours. Models are also not protected very much by the law, and it is easy for them to be taken advantage of. Many young girls get into negative cycles with their ag...

We also need proffesional models because they make it easier for everyone else to do their job. They know what to do backstage, how to walk on a catwalk, how to pose without being awkward,how to behave at a photoshoot and so on. They also have to endure some pretty harsh conditions (imagine having to get into the sea in the middle of winter to do a swimwear shoot ) and also have to travel a lot, often without really enjoying the countries, and work long hours. Models are also not protected very much by the law, and it is easy for them to be taken advantage of. Many young girls get into negative cycles with their agencies and end up owing them large amounts of money. The point I'm trying to make here is that their job is harder than it seems, and that just like in any other profession, they have to aquire a unique set of skills.

Also, as has been pointed out, they are people too.

And just too finish, I am including pictures of a great model, Barbara Palvin

aquire unique skills pointed people finish pictures model barbara palvin aquire unique skills pointed people finish pictures model barbara palvin aquire unique skills pointed people finish pictures model barbara palvin

She doesn't look too skinny to me.

But then again, everything I've said is just my own opinion.
  • Jessi S Jessi S 2012/07/24 16:13:18
    Jessi S
    Also, proffesional model does not = anorexic
  • MrWheezer 2012/07/24 13:18:05
    MrWheezer
    +2
    I need 2 or 3 to come by and clean my house twice a week.
  • Chaya2010 2012/07/24 09:19:57
    Chaya2010
    +1
    Models are needed to keep us neurotic and remind us just how inadequate we are.
  • jlott069 2012/07/24 08:51:58
    jlott069
    +1
    As apposed to what? Fake models? See, this does not work for me. People complaining about models not being realistic, when the realistic view is that in the U.S. - obesity is at nearly 40%. So what? now they start putting fat nasty people in magazines instead? You know, I would rather someone emulate an athlete or a model, rather than not care what they look like, and be nasty, fat, and lazy.
  • dzzshadz 2012/07/24 08:40:09
    dzzshadz
    For every day Jc Penny's or kohl's every day people are fine. Now for high fashion we need pros.
  • brian 2012/07/24 05:48:37
    brian
    As an Artist I think it shows some creativity in the Fashion world. If it doesn't work then you know you need a professional. I'll bet a lot of Trained models are P Oed though.
  • nina 2012/07/24 05:42:01
    nina
    +1
    Seeing as it is normal everyday people who buy the clothes they should be displayed by people who don't look super skinny with extra long legs and flawless bodies
  • emoanimegirl1000 2012/07/24 03:42:47
    emoanimegirl1000
    +1
    I'm sorry but they are just rich snobs who get surgery and all that crap.
    thumbs down
  • tootsie 2012/07/24 03:03:19
    tootsie
    +2
    Professional models know what they are doing, Photographers don't have to manually position them before a shoot. But I would like to see the professional models not so terribly thin. They look like they are about to die from lack of food. It is so sad knowing what they have to do just to stay that thin. Next time you watch professional models take a look at how pale they are. They could use some natural sunlight, use sun screen of course, instead of fake lighting and the lack of proper nutrition can cause them (black or white models) to have poor skin tone. Whether the models are professional or people off the street you never see them smile. Why is that. They all look like they have a knife to their backs.
  • JuJu 2012/07/24 01:24:15
    JuJu
    +2
    WE DONT BULL LEGED MODELS MODELING IN CLOTH
  • Christine 2012/07/24 00:55:53 (edited)
    Christine
    Not only are professional models useless, but they can be harmful as well. Growing up looking at genetic freaks (6 foot tall women who weigh 110lbs) makes women self conscious at best and can cause body dysmorphic disorder or suicide at worst. Modeling clothing should be done by random people that the designer knows. What is the purpose of putting your clothing on models who don't have an average body shape? I'm not saying that models have to be fat and ugly, but some curves wouldn't hurt.
  • DANNY59 2012/07/23 22:16:36
    DANNY59
    +2
    Except for hand and face models, I don't care for the model look. If your holding a beautiful diamond ring and are presenting it for sale, I think a good looking hand is necessary. On the other hand why do we have to starve women so their bones are showing, just to show off a dress, and they always have them look like they are mad at the world. They probably are mad, they're starving. Women look so much better with some curves.
  • HipJipC 2012/07/23 21:40:06
    HipJipC
    +1
    I had no idea that professional models weren't "real" people, lol.
  • Twilight Fan 2012/07/23 20:57:14
    Twilight Fan
    +2
    The girl in photo 6 of 8 looks like Lady Gaga.
  • Michael 2012/07/23 20:29:58
    Michael
    +4
    The only thing that separates a "professional" from amateur is $. These people are being paid, therefore they are professionals. I doubt that they will ever work again in that field however, they are hard to look at.
  • HipJipC Michael 2012/07/23 21:41:45
    HipJipC
    Hard to look at ?
  • DANNY59 Michael 2012/07/23 22:10:38
    DANNY59
    I agree with you at the models being hard to look at. Not hand models or face models, but the skin and bones look creeps me out. I'm a married heterosexual man, and I have never liked the look at these so called super models.
  • cynical... Michael 2012/07/30 17:15:08
    cynical.not.sinister
    Some of the models are quite pretty and could actually start a career in modeling. The point where I agree is that money is the only thing that separates amateur from professional.
  • Elaine 2012/07/23 19:19:10
    Elaine
    We need nothing of insignificance!
  • Professor Wizard 2012/07/23 19:08:05
    Professor Wizard
    +2
    amateur ones are more fun to watch though! And affordable.
  • Rdtourist 2012/07/23 18:58:02
    Rdtourist
    +1
    N ah, just go down to the beer hall or bar and poolroom and scrape a few slutty females or ersatz females off their bar stools or off the floor and call them models.
  • Elaine Rdtourist 2012/07/23 19:21:00
    Elaine
    +1
    Gee Warren ...Is that really true for you, that they all get prettier at closing time?
  • Rdtourist Elaine 2012/07/24 16:03:47
    Rdtourist
    +1
    Considering I drink MAYBE three beers in a good month, that is not likely. I never drink cocktails or hard liquor, ever.
  • Patric 2012/07/23 18:51:58
    Patric
    if the event is about the clothes ,, then no to the actors on the runway....
  • ZERO 2012/07/23 18:22:03
    ZERO
    +2
    It's easier for photographers and fashion houses to work with professional models. It's not just about looks, it's about time and not having to babysit your models.
  • The Inc... ZERO 2012/07/23 19:55:44
    The Incurable Pessimist
    +1
    Most professional models are such divas that you do nothing else but babysit them and cater to their every need just for one measly mediocre photograph.
  • ZERO The Inc... 2012/07/23 19:58:30
    ZERO
    +2
    I think that's an unfair stereotype, most professional models are just that - professional.
  • Alexander T Steward 2012/07/23 17:59:27

2014/04/23 10:03:17