Kathryn Stockett stole intimate details of a maid's life to write "The Help." Do you think making millions off someone else's experience is talent...or is it plagiarism is the purest form.

cate 2012/05/24 13:24:44
Related Topics: Life, Intimate
Yes.  Making millions without compensating the inspiration (or at least changing the name) is a form of plagiarism.
No.  You can't copyright a life or idea.
Undecided.  But clearly in writing, Kathryn Stockett needed some help.
The Help

Read More: http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/National_N...

• nothingbutthetruth 2012/05/28 04:33:57
    Yes. Making millions without compensating the inspiration (or at least chang...
    nothingbutthetruth
    +1
    If the writing is true, then yes, it's the form of plagiarism.
  • SlaveWaterNymph 2012/05/24 15:30:39
    Undecided. But clearly in writing, Kathryn Stockett needed some help.
    SlaveWaterNymph
    +1
    Hm i pick this one, as im still undecided on this. I think the author of this book, wanted more money as she saw how much money the movie made. And what is more sad, that the person, who directed or wrote the script for the movie, went out of their way, to say, hey its fiction, i didnt steal anything and so forth. Sigh, people these days, always wants more money and so forth. Sad sad world.
  • sockpuppet 2012/05/24 15:23:58
    sockpuppet
    +1
    Possibly, the whole 'lawsuit' thing is a publicity stunt to boost sales and interest.
  • cate sockpuppet 2012/05/24 20:48:33
    cate
    +1
    That is such a excellent possibility. The character Aibileen, in "The Help" was a wonderful, lovely, strong, determined, understanding woman. Clearly in life and in writing, she was loved. If painted in a less glowing light, I could understand the concern. But if I were written this way, I would be throwing hugs. Still...if true...the gray area remains and the question lies in the atmosphere. Was it right? Was it wrong? Legally, it wasn't wrong. But morally, was it right?
  • sockpuppet cate 2012/05/24 21:14:34
    sockpuppet
    +1
    I think she satisfied her moral obligations when she submitted a copy of the book to the Cooper lady last year. Even if she hadn't, it doesn't seem like much of a lawsuit-- but I don't know how these things work. Always something outrageous coming out of the courts.
  • cate sockpuppet 2012/05/25 01:16:07
    cate
    Whether right or wrong, there is no denying that she is a very talented writer. Hope her next venture offers less controversy.
  • sockpuppet cate 2012/05/25 01:26:49
    sockpuppet
    If I see it at the library, I'll pick it up. Always keen for a good read. :O)
  • cate sockpuppet 2012/05/25 01:29:22
    cate
    +1
    I think you may enjoy it. It is refreshing to read someone who can tell a good story.
  • sockpuppet cate 2012/05/25 02:11:39
    sockpuppet
    +1
    I know just what you're saying. I haven't been able to read much fiction for the past several years, but when I find a writer I like, I snap 'em up.
  • Jackie G - Poker Playing Pa... 2012/05/24 14:17:54 (edited)
    +1
    Good grief, she wrote a book and it succeeded - Most all books are based on some incident or person or event that a creative person sees or reads about. Ms Stockett stole nothing - absurd and juvenile premise - want to make millions, do something

It is fiction (based on facts) - anyone can do that about any thing - Jesus, grow up!
  • cate Jackie ... 2012/05/24 20:44:24
    cate
    +1
    The first rule of any writing course - "write what you know."
  • CREW grand 2012/05/24 14:06:22
    No. You can't copyright a life or idea.
    CREW grand
    +2
    If you could copyright ideas, I'd be the world's wealthiest man now.

Don
  • Jackie ... CREW grand 2012/05/24 14:21:29
    +1
    It is amazing that someone thinks that writing a book, fiction, is somehow theft of anything. I like your thought - copyright ideas - lol
  • Cuppajo 2012/05/24 13:36:49
    Cuppajo
    +1
    Plagiarism is too high a word for it; it's theft, pure and simple.
  • Jackie ... Cuppajo 2012/05/24 14:22:20
    +1
    Oh BS - the book is fiction and based on many people and events - nothing was stolen or plagiarized
  • Cuppajo Jackie ... 2012/05/24 16:45:49
    Cuppajo
    Did you write it? Are you friends or related to the author?
    Then don't worry about my opinion to a question that you didn't ask.

2014/04/19 05:54:12