In USA most families cope by having both parents work, but the rising number of single moms means that millions of households have just one possible worker. It's no wonder that 42 percent of single-mother families with children under 18 are poor.

Fariborz-Zak 2012/06/20 07:28:52

• DuncanONeil 2012/06/21 03:45:22
    maybe
    DuncanONeil
    Do you have a source for the supporting data?
  • PUUUUUSH 2012/06/20 14:03:46
    maybe
    PUUUUUSH
    Rising numbers of single moms are straining the Welfare System...
  • frank PUUUUUSH 2012/06/20 16:52:00
    frank
    I'm not sure if I agree with that. My youngest daughter (40) can't qualify for welfare for a number of reasons, she is white (not trying to be racist) and has a history of working plus I help supply the rent.
  • PUUUUUSH frank 2012/06/20 20:00:15
    PUUUUUSH
    I dont know of every case,, there are far too many tit suckers on the payroll now, I know people around here, Young Ladies(and I use that term loosly, who get 600 a month Food Stamps. 80 Percent of their rent paid.. Aid For Dependent Children. and they dont have a clue as to who their 3-4 babies daddy's is....

Dont know what state you live in and the qualifications from that state. Here You can apply for food stamps on the computer.....
  • frank PUUUUUSH 2012/06/21 00:24:40
    frank
    I daughter lives in CA. Would you agree that the Welfare System needs to be overhauled?
  • PUUUUUSH frank 2012/06/21 01:04:46
    PUUUUUSH
    Absolutey.. I spent a number of years in Europe, Germany to be exact.., When somone lost their job, they got 90 days assistance from the government,,, each 30 day period the government supplied them with 3 job interviews.. they didnt have to take the jobss, however after 90 days off the dole they came and the government gave the, a job as long as they were capable to work.. They gave them a canvas bag, a stick with a nail in it and 5 kilometers of road to keep the trash off of.. or they gave them 5 acres or forest land to keep the grass mowed and the fallen trees cleaned up,, they paid them a wage.. same as welfare but at least they were providing a Service...

I know people here that are on their 3rd generation of welfare... all living in the same houses.. Grandma, her daughter and her daughters kids... All able to work..

There are jobs out there if one wants to work. but many people have got the attitude "What me make beds in a Hotel" or 'I wouldnt wait on table"
  • frank PUUUUUSH 2012/06/21 15:59:53
    frank
    And they are called democrats today. lol
  • HelmetGirl 2012/06/20 13:35:15
    I believe this
    HelmetGirl
    This is a true statistic. But, what it fails to reveal is that some of these single mothers choose not to work. Those of us who do, do so because we take the responsibility for our children. I've worked seven days a week, two jobs, to support my daughter. My ex does provide support and medical coverage, but it's up to me to keep things going financially at home.
  • Kat ♪.BTO-t-BCRA-F~PWCM~ 2012/06/20 12:30:52
    maybe
    Kat ♪.BTO-t-BCRA-F~PWCM~
    Very few people starve to death in America. It should tell people to quit breeding irresponsibly. Divorcees can't help it but the single never married females have no business breeding for a living.
  • Flamingolady 2012/06/20 12:26:51
    I believe this
    Flamingolady
    +1
    Businesses are not hiring, and are laying workers off, due to the uncertainty of health care and it's premiums. Last year alone, the premiums went up a staggering 30% and more in some instances. It will only get worse if the Affordable Health Care Act comes into law.
  • HarleyCharley 2012/06/20 10:54:59
    I believe this
    HarleyCharley
    there are no good jobs out there...
  • Chukroast 2012/06/20 07:40:57
    I don't believe this
    Chukroast
    +1
    I'm a father of a single-parent mom and besides the $10,000+ she gets from me a year (plus a car . . . maintenance and insurance free from me), she also gets about $7000+ from her mom (we're divorced) and is receiving various government handouts that would probably give her $25000 a year if it were all exposed for publication. She is NOT in the minority of the poor. The majority of the supposed poor single-parents are living quite well off the largess of family, friends, charitable organizations and the good old American taxpayers.
  • America... Chukroast 2012/06/20 10:56:58
    AmericanVirus
    I don't agree that the majority of single parents are living like that. I've seen too many struggling to believe that.

2014/04/25 07:53:24