Doctors are human and DO make mistakes but should any Doctor make this kind of mistake?

question 2008/03/23 15:13:48
No! he had to know by looking that it was the wrong kidney.
No! he should not have trusted the med chart a good Doctor would have notice it was the wrong kidney
Yes ! we all make mistakes.
No!
Yes!
Doctors removed the wrong kidney not the cancerous one! this was due to an Incorrect med chart. What kind of Doctors can not tell a healthy kidney from a unhealty one, should we look at this as oh well Everyone makes mistakes?

• Florida Keys 2008/03/23 15:29:55
    Florida Keys
    +5
    Sometimes I do not think they are able to tell. It begins at the chart where the information it written...It is up to the medical staff to make sure they put a tag on the person telling the doctor what to remove and where. In Tampa not too long ago they amputed the wrong leg on a person... I had surgery a year ago and before they put me under they asked me what are we doing today. I had to tell the doctor what the operation was and where they were going to operate. That is usually the procedure of the hospital.

• Gwynodd 2008/10/31 16:09:18
    No!
    Gwynodd
    Unfortunately this happens a lot. The doctor is definitely to blame and should be punished for his deed. However, cancer is typically within the kidney and will show no signs of disease. So, he good easily have made that mistake.
  • Foo Master Angie 2008/04/17 16:58:45
    No! he should not have trusted the med chart a good Doctor would have notice ...
    Foo Master Angie
    +1
    I think anyone going in for surgery should get a bullzeye tattooed on the part of the body that requires fixing.
  • Arel Foo Mas... 2008/04/17 17:48:26
    Arel
    They do. It is marked in permanent ink. However in this case it was wrong in the medical chart...............this is just a horrible thing to have happened.
  • Foo Mas... Arel 2008/04/17 18:00:19
    Foo Master Angie
    +1
    That's what I'm saying, if I ever need a kidney removed, I'm going to go and have the tattoo done myself, so there is no mistake.
  • Arel Foo Mas... 2008/04/17 18:09:56
    Arel
    +1
    Good idea and have someone there with you monitoring your health care once you are out of surgery. Seriously!
  • Eileen 2008/04/15 19:18:22
    Eileen
    It's something that doesn't happen to people who pay attention. When in a surgery room, there should be no dought about ANYTHING, and they should be totally focused, obviously they werent'
  • Dackelmommy 2008/03/30 06:51:38
    No!
    Dackelmommy
    +2
    Were there not test results, multiple notes within this person's chart, etc.,etc., etc??? I had left temporal lobe surgery, 5 years ago. If the chart/test results hadn't been followed, I just might not be typing this response, tonight. I'm not a fan of malpractice, however, this one comes about as close as they come to getting my approval!!!
  • fangsup44 2008/03/30 03:01:03
    fangsup44
    +2
    than what was the point of going to school for 8-10 years if you cant tell the difference between a healthy kidney and a cancerous one
  • Reese Cup 2008/03/26 15:20:15
    Reese Cup
    +1
    I don't know.
  • MQ-American Values Again (AVA) 2008/03/25 22:00:29
    No!
    MQ-American Values Again (AVA)
    +2
    Sounds like enough responsibility to go around in this case - but for sure, if I have to have an operation I'm going to mark the spot with a magic marker and tape a note on my gown before they put me out! This is scarey
  • 凸凹 2008/03/25 21:06:43
    凸凹
    The fault lies on the person who prepared the chart.
  • Dackelm... 凸凹 2008/03/30 06:53:47
    Dackelmommy
    Or, personS ... more than one person reviews a chart prior to a major surgery.
  • Bobbi Fleckman 2008/03/24 21:34:07
  • question Bobbi F... 2008/03/26 13:23:06 (edited)
    question
    +1
    Yes but A Good Doctor should have not only double checked to make sure what kidney he was to remove he would have triple checked so that he would not have made this awful mistake!
  • Bobbi F... question 2008/03/26 13:32:02
  • question Bobbi F... 2008/03/26 14:30:45
    question
    Yes but he is the main one doing the surgery and I do not feel there is any excuse for this kind of thing to happen! this thing with John wasn't the Doctors fault at all it was John's for not telling the Doctors everthing that was going on with him. this is not the same thing as taking out the wrong kideny or cutting off the wrong leg or taking off the wrong Brests! this kind of mistake should never happen!
  • Bobbi F... question 2008/03/26 15:07:34
  • question Bobbi F... 2008/03/26 15:19:13
    question
    +1
    This is True!
  • yola 2008/03/24 06:27:52
    yola
    +1
    no,he should not trusted the med chart a good doctor would have notice it was wrong kidney.
  • Laugh Lines = L. L. L. 2008/03/24 03:51:35
    Laugh Lines = L. L. L.
    +1
    Not good.
  • aace 2008/03/24 02:21:40
  • Carole 2008/03/24 02:07:52 (edited)
  • crystal 2008/03/24 01:39:00
    crystal
  • Feline 2008/03/24 01:17:14
    Feline
    +1
    That is why doctors take so many years studing so that they won't make these kinds of mistakes and are able tell from one healthy organ from another.
  • byebye ,I love you,gotta go 2008/03/23 21:17:52
    No!
    byebye ,I love you,gotta go
    +1
    No ,Its his responsibility to know what he is doing befor he gets to the or....This is life here and too many mistakes are being made in the or.
  • Steve 2008/03/23 20:54:52
    Steve
    +2
    he should have chesked it twice, that is horrible!!!
  • Angel 2008/03/23 20:50:29
    Angel
    +1
    thats terrible, true doctors and nurses are only human , but they are in a specialized profession and should be intelligent enough to know a cancerous kidney from a healthy one
  • Magzilla 2008/03/23 19:49:02
    Yes ! we all make mistakes.
    Magzilla
    +1
    it sucks but shit happens. If the chart was wrong and he didn't have a personal relationship with the patient I could see something like this happening. If you need a major surgery it is your responsibility to make sure the doctor has the correct information. When you go in to have surgery you should have a discussion before anything is started.
    Also, the cancer may not have been obvious. It could have been killing the kidney from the inside out giving the kidney a normal appearance. I don't know, it is sad.
  • Carole Magzilla 2008/03/24 02:20:53
  • Magzilla Carole 2008/03/24 16:20:30
    Magzilla
    +1
    So what you are basically saying is that the patient has no obligation to make sure that the information the doctor has is right? The patient is just as responsible for the mistake as the doctor is because they didn't check the information. Hey, if you are the type of person that won't make the effort to ensure your safety in dangerous situations that is up to, just don’t bitch about what happens to you when things go wrong. Be responsible for your body. I don't think the doctor or the hospital should get off, I just feel everyone needs to take responsibility for their part.
  • Carole Magzilla 2008/03/24 19:52:36
  • Magzilla Carole 2008/03/24 21:26:57
    Magzilla
    +1
    I don't think most doctors are money grubbers, but regardless if they are or not we need to make sure they have the correct information. Sorry to hear that happend to you. Thankfully I learned at an early age to check and question my doctors.
  • nltsierra 2008/03/23 17:52:17
    nltsierra
    I wouldn't wish this on anyone, it's horrible. I think if the cancer was contained inside the kidney they might not know until it too late that they removed the wrong one. It is NOT excuseable, to say we all make mistakes though, that is why there are several people on a surgery team
  • MadHatter 2008/03/23 17:23:38
  • princessinadump 2008/03/23 17:02:12
    princessinadump
    It sounds like in the inhuman hours that doctors put in as an intern it's no wonder that they make mistakes. But please if they could do their jobs the insurance rates wouldn't be so damn high.
  • &hearts leslybooツ &hearts 2008/03/23 15:58:55
    &hearts  leslybooツ &hearts
    if they make a mistake and you are really sick you could DIE or get hur really bad!
  • jackrorabbit 2008/03/23 15:39:59
    jackrorabbit
    I cannot answer any medical problems, since I have neither the films, the reports, or the look inside. Perhaps the tumor is inside the kidney and thus the kidney looks normal to the eye. Then an clerical error would cause a major issue. Did the doctor ask before the surgery? If they did not talk to the person, or the primary decision maker to confirm the kidney that is to be removed, that would be a major problem.
  • rnvtach 2008/03/23 15:33:20
    rnvtach
    +3
    We, (health care providres) are required to take a "Time out" before all invassive procedures and document, Right procedure, right patient, right consent and RIGHT LOCATION. This obviously was not done. The surgeon and his team were wrong. The other thing is the nurse is the patient's last line of defense and the patient advocate and should have interceeded. Both the surgeon and the RN are responsible and accountable and should be held as such.
  • Florida Keys 2008/03/23 15:29:55
    Florida Keys
    +5
  • question Florida... 2008/03/23 15:46:45 (edited)
    question
    +1
    This Doctor Should have done the Same thing as your Doctor. Ask the patient so that threy can be sure the charts are correct!

2014/04/18 18:18:17