Do You Think Women who Stay in Abusive Relationships are Weak?

Izzy! 2010/08/26 11:54:49
Related Topics: Relationship
Yes.
No.

• K4itlyn16 2010/08/27 23:44:42
    No.
    K4itlyn16
    +5
    Not necessarily. I was in one and I am only eighteen. I am a very strong person. I always stand up for myself but my ex was something I had never encountered or experienced before. I became weak in the relationship because I did not know what to do or who to turn to. The relationship was also weak. I don't think we ever lasted more than 24 hours without a problem, confrontation, or a fight.

• Sam<3(: 2010/12/22 01:57:58
    No.
    Sam<3(:
    +1
    never in a million years. I was in one, sort of, and i am 14. He never really liked me, but he strung me along horribly. I never even dated him. He would call me names, like a f*cking retard and a b*tch. He would play me, saying i ws pretty and tht i was the coolest girl he had ever met, and then dated one of my friends. always. And then he'd come back when he broke up with them, begging me to talk tohim again. and i would. and fall for him all over again. i wasnt weak, i just didnt know how wrong it was. after a little while, 2 years, i eventually forcively broke us apart, and his so called "friendship" was over. That was 7 weeks ago exactly. I dont have a problem with it, but he is using all tactics to speak to me. He has been for weeks. I dont care about him trying, because i am stronger without him.

when a girl stays in a abusive relationship she isnt weak, she is slowly getting stronger.
  • royalguardian ►One Hit Rage... 2010/08/28 12:28:40
    No.
    royalguardian ►One Hit Rage Quit◄ ♠ BTEF ♠
    +1
    they could be threatened not to tell anybody
  • Diana 4 american rights 2010/08/28 09:14:56
    Diana 4 american rights
    +1
    yes and no i was in a abusive relationship only because without our combined income id be homeless.. the first time he hit me it was over..but where would i go and how would i survive...but you better believe the minute i got ahead i was out there in a flash. there were no shelters where i was at...nothing period only thing was the hospital ...and you cant live there...but i think ash the empress had a good point and in one side of it her statement was true. it all depends on the situation and god forbid children are involved its tougher dragging kids when you do not have any transportation and no one to turn too.
  • Sin 2010/08/28 07:07:59
    No.
    Sin
    +1
    ive been in one abusive relationship, its hard, you believe he'll stop, you believe he still loves you because you feel that you love him. you think he'll change and are willing to deal so it keeps happening, then it gets worse, then you get scared of him and between the false love, loneliness and fear, it makes a near unbreakable chain.
  • Katt 2010/08/28 05:43:56
    No.
    Katt
    +1
    I think women (in most cases) feel threatened by their partner, and therefore stay in the relationship because they are scared something worse will happen if they don't. I don't speak from experience though so I can't be sure.
  • Ash-the-empress 2010/08/28 05:21:23
    Yes.
    Ash-the-empress
    +3
    Its a mystery to me how women can stay in a relationship like that. Sometimes if you have grown up without feelings of self worth or confidence you can find yourself in a dominating relationship like that.
    I think those women are afraid to leave or (sometimes) women feel that they deserve to be yelled at and that it was their fault.
    I feel terribly sorry for those women and would help them in a heartbeat/ Do I think they are weak willed? Yes. That is not meant as an insult, it is the truth. If they were strong and confident and independent then they wouldn't have the problem in the first place. Men who are abusers in relationships look for weak willed, easily manipulated, self conscious women who they can order around and bully. They tend to steer clear of aggressive and strong women because there is no control there.
  • Katt Ash-the... 2010/08/28 05:47:04
    Katt
    +1
    I think that's a good point, Thanks for sharing your opinion. :-)
  • DANNY_B0i♛ 2010/08/28 04:15:25
    No.
    DANNY_B0i♛
    +1
    i think they feel there are no choices. especially if they have children. they probably think things like "how will i get out?" "if i leave will he find me and kill me?" "will my children have a father?" things like that. they arent ever weak just scared and feel they have no options. they are broken down by the men.
  • westsideamy 2010/08/28 03:04:43
    No.
    westsideamy
    +2
    not at all they are scared of what the guy will do if they end the realtionship. if he is abusing them then what would they do if they left them...
  • Surgeon ~The Egalitarianist~ 2010/08/28 02:34:06
    Surgeon ~The Egalitarianist~
    +1
    More like a cross between stupid, scared, delusional, and afraid for not only their life but possibly others.

If I were in one, and I've been any many abusive situations (just never a relationship) then either I'd get the hell out because of the sheer fact I'm impossible to control oooorrr depending on how I was being abused I do a variety of mutilating things to his body. But, hey, I'm not mean... I'd drug him to where he was aware of everything but just couldn't feel it.

No court would convict me either.

But more likely I'd just leave and then knowing the people in my family how all are strong and have really short tempers well he would get what's coming to him pretty damn fast.
  • Izzy! Surgeon... 2010/09/01 11:59:39
    Izzy!
    I would give em a ruffie (date rape drug thing) so he CAN feel everything..
    Just can't move to stop it.
  • La 2010/08/28 02:05:58
    No.
    La
    +1
    Not necessarily. Delusional? Obsessively in love? Submissive? Rightly afraid for their life?

More women get killed from leaving their abusive partners than from staying with them.
  • Izzy! La 2010/09/01 12:00:10
    Izzy!
    really? I did not know that.
  • La Izzy! 2010/09/01 12:23:34
    La
    +1
    Yeah they do. Something like 60% of women who are killed by their husbands/boyfriends are killed after they leave or break up with them.
  • Shockice 2010/08/28 01:30:11
    No.
    Shockice
    +2
    I think they want to believe the guy loves them and will believe it when he says he's sorry for hitting her, and believes it won't happen again, but it will, repeatedly. Other reasons like financial security, being afraid, etc may also play their part in her decision to wait it out. Or it could be the reality that our legal system doesn't protect battered people as well as it should from abusive partners. So I don't think it's a matter of being weak, but of being too trusting or too afraid, not being able to see he's just another beater and leave him or being afraid he will kill you for leaving. I'm not a battered person so I can't say for sure, just guessing.
  • iFatal 2010/08/28 01:19:08
    Yes.
    iFatal
    +1
    Get the hell out of there when he is gone. Witness Protection. Shelters, Hell, My close friend put herself in jail to get away from the bastard.
  • La iFatal 2010/08/28 02:06:50
    La
    +1
    We don't all want to go to jail....
  • Katt La 2010/08/28 05:50:10
    Katt
    +1
    No, We don't. but if its jail or 'heaven' wouldn't jail be a better choice? But that's also why they have shelters and things like that for this kind of stuff.
  • iFatal Katt 2010/08/28 20:24:52
    iFatal
    +1
    Like I said earlier, It's just the extreme my close friend went through.
  • iFatal La 2010/08/28 20:24:25
    iFatal
    +2
    I'm not saying you should do it, I'm saying that was the extreme my close friend went to.
  • Izzy! iFatal 2010/09/01 12:01:34
    Izzy!
    Put herself in jail!!! Damn. Must have been bad!
  • volley15 2010/08/28 00:16:54
    volley15
    +2
    I think it depends on the situation.
  • K4itlyn16 2010/08/27 23:44:42
    No.
    K4itlyn16
    +5
  • Izzy! K4itlyn16 2010/09/01 12:02:36
    Izzy!
    wow. Well you're okay now?
  • K4itlyn16 Izzy! 2010/09/01 14:06:21
    K4itlyn16
    +1
    Yeah definitely. It's been almost 6 months since I got out of it. I'm doing well thanks for asking :) :)
  • Izzy! K4itlyn16 2010/09/01 14:07:56
    Izzy!
    That's great to hear.
  • daddySEAL 2010/08/27 22:58:43 (edited)
  • Ash14 2010/08/27 22:22:34
    No.
    Ash14
    +2
    No sometimes they are just scared or have mental problems or they have kids and are staying in it for they child or children.
  • BloodMist 2010/08/27 21:43:47
    No.
    BloodMist
    +2
    They actually suffer from a psychosis that makes them almost think that it's normal to get abused all the time, Battered Wife Syndrome.There are many different, negative effects of it.
  • Michaela 2010/08/27 21:37:48
    Michaela
    +1
    Well I guess you have to be in the situation to understad and I haven't but my older sister has. I guess at first I thought they were, but now Im not sure.
  • giggity giggity 2010/08/27 21:28:47
    No.
    giggity giggity
    +1
    hujfhgfgklhlk
  • @LunnaLadiess 2010/08/27 21:20:38
    No.
    @LunnaLadiess
    +1
    no just cant get out of it
  • Damaris 2010/08/27 16:00:58
    Damaris
    +1
    sometimes if they leave the man and then go back to him then yes.
  • Sam 2010/08/27 15:10:13
    Yes.
    Sam
    +1
    A lot of women are weak when it comes to men; they beleive that they can't do it (life) on their own, who's going to help look after the kids, or the bills? They need to know that they can be strong enough to look after themselves and their kids on their own, and that there is other help out there. I personally beleive that these women should wait untill these men are asleep and then get the kitchen knife and show him just how "weak" she can be.
  • La Sam 2010/08/28 02:09:50
    La
    +1
    My boyfriend's mum is in an abusive relationship and she is one of the strongest women I know. Her husband has three ex-wives. When one of them left him, he kidnapped their daughters and took them overseas and she didn't see them for six years. Hence wife number four not leaving.

He should have been in jail a hundred times over and I hope he is soon, so his current wife and two sons can be free of him.
  • SeánMurphy La 2010/08/28 02:28:46
    SeánMurphy
    +1
    God, that sounds effing awful! Almost LOL awful, no joke like. I was reading this thing a few days ago, that invoked the same sort of feeling, when I read that a black guy got attacked with the pointy end of an American flag by a mob of whites. I just started laughing, it was so, SO, backward and wacky, that I just started laughing! I'll say a prayer anyhow.
  • Sam La 2010/08/28 18:04:57
    Sam
    +1
    Well with that kind of history she married him because?
  • La Sam 2010/08/29 00:30:40
    La
    +1
    I don't think she found out about all that until later, and by then she had a kid with him...
  • Izzy! La 2010/09/01 12:06:31
    Izzy!
    That is so terrible.
  • Izzy! Sam 2010/09/01 12:05:44
    Izzy!
    Then, she would go to prison.

2014/04/18 18:32:18