DO YOU THINK PARENTS SHOULD BE PUNISHED IF THERE KIDS SKIP SCHOOL WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION?

MININA 2007/05/09 19:12:15

• Lex 2009/12/06 00:49:53 (edited)
    Lex
    It wasn't the parent's decision, it was the kids. Kids have a conscious of their own, they can make their own decisions.
  • C0c0_2222 2009/08/20 14:58:14
    C0c0_2222
    what d hell no way da kids did it dey should b punished!!
  • Chris 2009/08/20 03:55:10
    Chris
    UUmm....NO! How ridiculous! Kids need to be held accountable for their OWN actions.......that's how they learn. This only shows the kid that if they screw up the parents will get punished instead. Who's is control here anyway? Parents have jobs, what now......they expect us to spend the day with them at school instead of working to support their families? Punish the wrong doer for petes sake! I get tired of parents get blamed for stupid stuff like this, no wonder we have a bunch of kids running around blaming everyone else for their own bad behavior.
  • prometheus 2009/08/20 00:10:57
    prometheus
    So it's alright if the kids skip school WITH the parents permission? :/

Blah, I think the parents should but the school system will fuck them over. Here in TX, you skip school more than 3days, youll be summoned to court. More than 8expelled. :/

As I a high school student, I don't really give a fuck about skipping and I'm 18.
  • Lex prometheus 2009/12/06 00:49:38
    Lex
    What's wrong with skipping with parents permission? My mom let me skip all the time in high school.

Damn, ya'lls schools system is way more strict. Ours was after 7 days, you go to court and then possibly held back or unable to graduate.
  • Darkend 2009/08/18 19:31:06
    Darkend
    School is over rated. Elementary school serves its purpose, however i think high school is pointless.
  • prometheus Darkend 2010/01/01 17:49:00
    prometheus
    All schools are pointless
  • Mandee 2008/02/25 03:26:01
    Mandee
    I do think the parents should be warned, however... there does come a point when the child is going to do whatever they want and the parent no longer as control of them.
    years ago I had a friend who was ordered by the court to make sure her son attended school. she drove him to school every morning and let him out at the front door, watching him enter the school before she pulled off. by the time she left the neighborhood her son would leave school, going out the back door. she had no control of him attending school, even though she tried.
  • Roz 2008/02/19 17:48:07
    Roz
    You can't keep track of a kid in every waking hour of the day. But if it's obvious that no parent intrevention is taking place then I would have to say yes in some cases.
  • mika 2008/02/06 07:09:36
    mika
    i believe once you have sent them to school they need to be in school and they didn't go school;didnt know they was not ther until later that day or the next day until teacher leta you know they were not in school at all.
  • Darkend mika 2009/08/18 19:30:12
    Darkend
    I think you might need to go back to school, work on that English, grammar, and spelling.
  • dazzy 2007/11/08 00:50:16
    dazzy
    i think i skipped once and told my mom it was senior skip day and we went to the beach and had no reasonable excuse for a sunburn. the rest of the time i skipped was with friends and my now husband on 420 lol
  • Chris dazzy 2009/08/20 03:57:21
    Chris
    I skipped as a kid to and my mom wasn't to blame, I did it with my friends and cuz I just wanted to!
  • John 2007/06/13 18:09:40
    John
    Public school bus system does not make it a parents fault that there kid aint in class!
  • breath4soul 2007/06/13 08:43:27
    breath4soul
    +1
    Only if there is also some type of warning and support program also. I think it will mostly end up causing more stress for single mom's who have to work a lot. It doesn't really solve the problem of neglectful parents.
  • Pat 2007/06/02 02:57:16
    +1
    It is the parents job to teach their children right and wrong. It is also the parents job to teach them responsiblity. But NO parent can be with their child 24/7. When a child skips school one time they should get detention and the school should notify the parent. If the child skips school over and over and the school has brought it to the attention of the parent without results then yes the parent should be punished because they are not doing their job.
  • Ozzy 2007/05/22 02:02:01
    Ozzy
    +2
    I sure hope this hasn’t happened. But if it is up here I can only imagine some school somewhere has thought up this dumb idea. So if you let your kid out in front of the school you leave to go to work they dont go in its your fault. Saying the kid is 15 or better. What the heck. I would think if you get the kid on the school grounds its the kids fault. GEE when I was in school that was called skipping school and guess who got in trouble THE KID. HMM THE PERSON THAT DID IT GOT IN TROUBLE DANG ISNT THAT ORIGINAL.
  • Irene 2007/05/20 22:09:36
    Irene
    +2
    If you have hard working parents or parent try are trying to support you if you are to be in school then damn it be there.
  • mackymac55 2007/05/19 18:42:45
    mackymac55
    +1
    If it comes to light that the parents have no control over their own kids, then perhaps they should lose custody. Punishment in that manner would be the only way I might agree.
  • Cat 2007/05/18 04:12:21
    Cat
    +1
    The law in Oklahoma which is a darn good one and has cut skipping down by a HUGE amount. IF YOUR KIDS SKIP YOU HAVE TO SPEND A DAY SHADOWING THEM to make up for the time they skip. Boy it works too!!!!
  • Noelle 2007/05/17 05:23:28
    Noelle
    +2
    This one is pretty tricky...it is easy to see from both sides. On the one hand, parents don't have complete control over what thier kids do. You can be the most amazing parent and do all the things you are supposed to, and your kid will still have a mind of his own. But as a parent and a teacher, I can see this from many angles. One of the most important jobs parents have is instilling good morals in their children, and teaching them to make good decisions. If parents talk to their children and help them learn how to be a "good citizen" and do what they are supposed to do, then this kind of thing would never be an issue. Unfortunately, there are too many parents out there that are not setting good examples for their children. Kids today are also learning that they don't have to be accountable for their actions. Ugh...I can't seem to decide which way I am leaning on this one!!
  • dras 2007/05/15 13:25:20
    dras
    With out knowing the facts it's hard to say. This reminds me of a girl that I grew up with. She was so great looking that she was elected School Queen in her high school sophomore year.
    Less then twenty years later the Fire Department had to remove a window from her house to remove her body when she passed away. Fattening and a case of beer a week did her in and I see a lot of kids heading down the same road.
  • True~Male 2007/05/15 00:52:26
    True~Male
    +1
    And also if the kids vandalize or grafitti the school
  • kellley 2007/05/13 19:46:55 (edited)
    kellley
    +1
    It is primarily the parents job to see that the child makes it to school. Parents tend to shuffle the blame and make the school responsible. When to parents take the blame for their poor child raising skills and not providing consequences or better yet promoting positive behavior. Granted I know that once they are in schoolit then becomes schools job, but even if a parent has to drag their kid into school, that their job as parents. If a parent is unable to control ther child, than the courts step in and file a CHINS. This is why they need to be made responsible or even be forced to do so. Where I live, (Mass) Parents can be fined $500.00 for every time the child misses school, or better yet they may even attach owned property, ie house, wages. Is this proper, maybe.
  • #1Misty 2007/05/13 04:52:38
    #1Misty
    +1
    Truancy is so high here where I live, it is so hard to keep some of these kids in school, every time you turn around they are closing more schools down and then you have to crowd all these kids into the schools that are left, overcrowding of class rooms-- at least 40- 42 kids in a class room, how is a teacher to cope with this? let alone the kids. You put kids together with different beliefs and ways of doing things and crap starts to happen. You have kids that come to school every day because they want to learn and then you get the kids that are so turned off of school that they turn to skipping. My son [16] called me on Earth Day and said he wanted to join other kids that were skipping school and going down to the river to clean it up I said okay , my son happened to get his picture taken and it appeared in the city newspaper the next day, it proved where he was, but he still got in trouble with his school- detention- I served it right along with him, I skipped school twice in my young years and I did not see the harm in my son doing it, If he asked me again for permission I would not hesitate to say yes.
  • byebye ,I love you,gotta go 2007/05/11 23:58:53
    byebye ,I love you,gotta go
    +8
    the state doesn't want you to discipline your children but they want you to be accountable for thier neggative behavior
  • Rox 2007/05/11 11:48:38 (edited)
    Rox
    +3
    No, I went through this. The court would tell me I had to drive and wait for her to go in the building. So I did and she would walk out the back. But I was lucky my dear daughter told them , that they should not punish me (they were going to put me in jail), for she was going out the back door. That her mum couldn't be in two places at the same times. So they put her in Juvinile. But I will say this it still did not conveince her to go to school. DT all it di was help her make new freinds for more troubled the her. So I pulled her out and home schooled her. I had to quit my job. To school a child that would not go. Reason she didn't want to, was the other kids were making fun of her. Beating her up in the hall ways. The teachers were no better at treating her right.
  • Jan 2007/05/09 22:32:25
    Jan
    +2
    been there...dropped my daughter off at school, watched her go in the
    class room and she skipped out to the beach, by bus or the mall..Just
    so much control you have....very little actually....
  • Hank 2007/05/09 19:51:34
    Hank
    +2
    If the parents are not aware the child is away from school, hold the child accountable first. Advise the parents of the child's truancy. Then it is up to the parent(s) to have the child conform to school attendance. It's all part of responsible parenting. In Florida we have the compulsory attendance law, until the child is 16. If a parent knowingly allows the child to "skip" school, the parent can be arrested for failing to comply with that statute.
  • Chris Hank 2009/08/20 04:06:13
    Chris
    At some point the child must learn responsibility and if the parent is held accountable for what the child does, then the child does not learn. The child must be the one to suffer the consequences so he can learn to be responsible for his own behavior. I know of no parent that allows their child to skip school.
  • NexusKitten 2007/05/09 19:32:56
    NexusKitten
    +1
    I skip sometimes cause I'm tired and want to watch t.v. I don't my parents to get in trouble for that though!
  • Duff 2007/05/09 19:27:32
    Duff
    +1
    Why would the parents be punished and in what way? Would the parents receive demerits and have to go to detention?
  • MININA Duff 2007/05/09 19:43:47
    MININA
    no theres fines that can cost you up to 500.00 dollars if you don't keep your kid in school.
  • kellley Duff 2007/05/14 01:29:11
    kellley
    More than just detention, parents can be fined each time the child is late or the courts may attach thier wages or property. Even more a scary though they may take the child away.

2014/04/20 15:51:41