Do You Know the History of Memorial Day?

U-Dog 2012/05/28 17:04:17
Yes I do but thanks for sharing (Here's another tidbit).
I did not know but thanks for sharing.
Sure, it's about partying, shiny bobbles, free stuff and pissing on America.
I am too bitter about modern politics to share in your appreciation for our troops.

Here's what you probably know about Memorial Day in the United States. It's a three-day holiday. People are expected to travel 50 miles (or more).

There will be barbecue and maybe, you'll spend a few moments to reflect on what Memorial Day is really about: remembering those who gave their lives in service. But the national holiday, celebrated since 1868, is more than just a long weekend to kick off the summer.

1. Memorial Day once went by another name. On May 5, 1868, three years after the Civil War ended, the head of an organization of Union veterans - the Grand Army of the Republic - established Decoration Day. It was meant as a time for the nation to decorate the graves of fallen soldiers with flowers.

2. The date was chosen to bring May flowers. Maj. Gen. John A. Logan declared that Decoration Day should be observed on May 30 because he thought it was at this point that flowers would have bloomed to be at their most beautiful. His order for his posts to decorate graves in 1868 read, “We should guard their graves with sacred vigilance. ... Let pleasant paths invite the coming and going of reverent visitors and fond mourners. Let no neglect, no ravages of time, testify to the present or to the coming generations that we have forgotten as a people the cost of a free and undivided republic.”

3. It started with Confederates. One of the first Memorial Day celebrations occurred in in Columbus, Miss., April 25, 1866, a full two years before it became an officially sanctioned holiday. A group of women visited a cemetery to decorate the graves of Confederate soldiers who had fallen in battle at Shiloh, were the graves were neglected because they were the enemy. There is even a hymn in honor of these women, "Kneel Where Our Loves are Sleeping." Nella L Sweet, who wrote the hymn, dedicated it "to the ladies of the South who are decorating the graves of the Confederate dead.”

4. Several Southern states celebrate Confederate soldiers. Many southern US states celebrate Confederate Memorial Day on the last Monday of April. Alabama celebrates on the fourth Monday of April, and Georgia on April 26. North and South Carolina observe Decoration Day on May 10. Both Louisiana and Tennessee call June 3 Confederate Decoration Day. Texas celebrates Confederate Heroes Day in January.

5. After World War 1, all American soldiers were honored. Up until this point Memorial Day only officially celebrated those soldiers who died in the Civil War. Since then Memorial Day honors all soldiers who served and died for the United States.

In 1915, Moina Michael wrote the following poem to honor Memorial Day:

We cherish too, the Poppy red
That grows on fields where valor led,
It seems to signal to the skies
That blood of heroes never dies.

It was from this reference that people wear poppies as a small honor to US service men and women lost in battle.

Do You Know the History of Memorial Day

Read More: http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/am...

• Kozmo 2012/06/08 07:40:35
    I am too bitter about modern politics to share in your appreciation for our t...
    Kozmo
    We remember our fallen on Armistice Day, on the 11th hour, on the 11th day, on the 11th month, we observe 2 minutes silence.
    Taken to wearing WHITE poppies (for peace) since the red (blood) ones have woefully failed to prevent further warfare.
  • Bob DiN 2012/05/31 08:20:53
    Bob DiN
    +1
    Yes it use to be called Decoration Day. It also not just an excuse for a 3 day weekend.
  • Chi~Cat 2012/05/28 21:27:44
    Chi~Cat
    +2
    Excellent, post. Thank you so much. I miss my great uncle who until the age of 95 would be at the Belmont Train Station in Chicago to get donations for Amvets and be more than happy to give a poppy to anyone. There were a few times that I was so busy to get through the station, I almost missed him. He always had a smile, and just the best. I truly miss him. Strange to not see him there anymore.
  • U-Dog Chi~Cat 2012/05/28 23:32:41
    U-Dog
    +1
    Thanks for sharing Chi~Cat, I always love stopping and talking to people like your great uncle, you usually hear some of the most fasinating stories from folks like him. Sorry to hear that he is gone.
  • Chi~Cat U-Dog 2012/05/28 23:34:52
    Chi~Cat
    +1
    ty, U~ me, too. An outstanding Man. Always with a smile! ; ) Megas.
  • DeborahLakeHelen 2012/05/28 18:35:02
    DeborahLakeHelen
  • U-Dog Deborah... 2012/05/28 19:33:43
    U-Dog
    +1
    Great song, thanks!
  • Deborah... U-Dog 2012/05/28 21:18:24
    DeborahLakeHelen
    +1
    You're welcome! I'm glad you liked it.
  • Kozmo Deborah... 2012/06/08 07:43:12
    Kozmo
    Bunk!
  • Deborah... Kozmo 2012/06/08 23:42:05
    DeborahLakeHelen
    Huh?
  • Aksana 2012/05/28 17:31:39
    I did not know but thanks for sharing.
    Aksana
    +3
    Thanks
  • U-Dog Aksana 2012/05/28 19:34:33
    U-Dog
    +1
    My pleasure, thanks for your comment ;-)
  • maggiemay 2012/05/28 17:25:41
    maggiemay
    +3
    Let's all take a moment, and give a prayer for peace.
  • Deborah... maggiemay 2012/05/28 18:40:35
    DeborahLakeHelen
    +2
    Good one!
  • maggiemay Deborah... 2012/05/28 18:42:59
    maggiemay
    +2
    Thanks. animated flag
  • Deborah... maggiemay 2012/05/28 18:50:22
    DeborahLakeHelen
    +2
    You're welcome.

american patriot
  • U-Dog maggiemay 2012/05/28 19:36:55
    U-Dog
    +1
    Thanks maggiemay-)
  • maggiemay U-Dog 2012/05/28 19:38:05
    maggiemay
    +1
    You're Welcome
  • gldynmd BTO-t-BCRA-F 2012/05/28 17:15:45
    I did not know but thanks for sharing.
    gldynmd BTO-t-BCRA-F
    +3
    You always have something great to say. Thank you my friend!
  • AmericanVirus 2012/05/28 17:09:22
    I did not know but thanks for sharing.
    AmericanVirus
    +3
    Very informative.

2014/04/16 19:21:12