Do You Feel It's Important to Go to College to Secure a Good, Well-Paying Job?

Is it just us or did summer swing by faster than usual this time around? With August just around the corner, "Back to School" is the thing on everyone's mind. Well, if you're a student, parent or teacher at least.

It's almost time to swap bathing suits for books. And while you don't have to complete any tests or do any homework quite yet, we think now's the optimal time to get your mind juices flowing with our quick, 8-Question "Back to School" Survey. Don't worry: No matter the answer, we'll give you an "A+" anyway.

Read More: http://www.sodahead.com/survey/featured/school-sur...

• Marcus Clark 2012/07/27 23:49:04
    Marcus Clark
    Unfortunately too many people think way too highly of a generic college degree. A college degree is needed for some specialized fields (such as engineering.)

Too many kids jump out of high school and right into college, and don't even know what they are going to college for. Going to college just to be going to college is a waste of time and a waste of money.

• WatchTheRhythm 2012/11/06 16:31:50
    Some people shouldn't go to college. If you don't want a career in a field that requires a degree, and you're not intellectually inclined, college is an unnecessary stress and money drain.
  • Piyush singh 2012/10/23 07:00:53
    Piyush singh
    It is'n important to go college daily for secure a good job, you can secure job by talen ,experience . A good company needs a talented person. .not you daily college experience.

Am i right ?. . .
  • Piyush ... Piyush ... 2012/10/23 07:04:21
    Piyush singh
    Yeah !!
  • Ari Ames 2012/10/11 00:40:45
    Ari Ames
    Whoever tells you that you absolutely must go to college is wrong. Today, many students go to college for the experience, which is a waste of time and money. Why rack up student loans for a university just to get a worthless piece of paper that you could wear as a hat to your fast food job? In the economy today, kids just graduating out of college can't find jobs and are in debt up to their eyeballs. There is the option of going to a 2-year community college which bills wouldn't really get racked up in and that would be okay too though.
  • P. Sturm 2012/09/14 22:56:37
    P. Sturm
    College, tech school, or an apprenticeship in most cases.
  • JustBeingAtPeace 2012/09/05 22:19:36
    Although I did well without doing so myself. I think it is just my worrisome self for the young ones in my family.
  • Carol P... JustBei... 2013/02/16 09:16:53
    Carol Powers
    Okay I can tell you all that college is worthwhile but I am ultimately so stressed about deciding to go back. I am 65 I am a junior about 12 classes away from graduation. I cannot manage algebra and have taken remedial math several times at several different campuses. I have a 3.75 GPA. I am thinking of giving the four year college the heist and going back to community college for a second associates degree in health information management. I am a psychology major and have $33K in debt already. I did this because I thought I lost something when I was younger but now I can say I am beginning to question it and staying up late and stressing over math tests is just no longer my priority.
  • Splashstorm 2012/09/04 03:46:25
    i couldn't get my career with animals started otherwise.
    career animals
  • Cory Mann 2012/08/26 11:51:43
    Cory Mann
    The more college grades a person gets means a better chance of getting employed into any job even if its not what you studied for, the more grades a person has shows a person is more committed to achieve.
  • GaolBlaze 2012/08/20 23:40:22
    It certainly helps, but it's not the only option.
  • Dave 007 2012/08/12 14:19:15
    Dave 007
    We needed the choice "Maybe".
  • Nudenz 2012/08/11 12:46:38
    It shouldn't be; but, unfortunately it is.
  • Crische 2012/08/08 20:22:16
    The world is your university, just have to look around. Live for yourself, most people have no clue.
  • Tessa Carpenter 2012/08/08 01:50:10
    Tessa Carpenter
    You need a education on how to do something you can't go for example into a office to become a secretary if you don't know how to do anything you'd make a lot of grave mistakes
  • kristin 2012/08/06 19:49:16
    Explore life for a bit, learn and gain experience, find out what you truly want to do, and then go to college or a trade school to learn it.
  • mjkowal 2012/08/06 19:06:28
    Absolutely!!! In this day in age, it is imperative to receive a minimum of a Bachelor's degree to receive a good job. Way too much competition to not have an education!
  • Tre 2012/08/06 14:14:27
    I guess it depends on the career you are attempting to take. Doctors, lawyers, pharmacists, and occupations like that will require it. But college is overrated now because it cost too damn much to go. If you go and don't get a good paying job which is possible, you just screwed yourself out of a lot of money and dug yourself deep in debt.
  • Jezebel 2012/08/03 17:05:46
    I think if you know what you want to do and where you want to go in life, college is an excellent choice to get further educated!
  • S. Gompers 2012/08/03 09:31:14
    S. Gompers
    I think competence and work ethic are more important, something many college grads seem to lack.
  • Karina Wells 2012/08/03 06:23:03
    Karina Wells
    Competence, not a diploma, is what is needed to succeed in finding and maintaining a job. Granted, graduating from a university says a lot for your intelligence, perseverance, and competence, but books will not prepare you for life the same way hands-on experience will give you. Learn from the best, alongside the best. I would rather trust someone with a lot of experience under his belt than someone with a piece of paper stating that he has knowledge. Public opinion has a lot to do with it, though. As long as the majority of the people in this country insist on hiring people with higher education, only college graduates will get the better jobs.
  • MS PRUD 2012/08/02 12:51:46
    You need either college or a tech school to get ahead at this time.
  • jacoby weiss 2012/08/02 03:23:32
    jacoby weiss
    it can get you a better one, but these days and back in the day, people without college education can, like, run companies
  • Any 2012/08/02 00:26:15 (edited)
    As a senior in an engineering program I know I have a guaranteed job offer when I leave. The company I'm doing an internship with right now is offering a very large salary not including sign on bonus. ENCOURAGE CHILDREN TO GO INTO SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING. It's well-paid and rewarding for those who are interested.

As for stability, that's not as solid of a factor so engineering does have it's downfalls.
  • James 2012/07/31 21:33:37
    It seems as though it is. I got an Associates degree in drafting and CAD. I studied what I wanted to do for a living without all the general liberal arts BS. I can't get a job, but if I had a bachelor's in underwater basket weaving or liberal women's studies, I could get any job I wanted.
  • weenyboy 2012/07/31 19:59:05
    It's NOT an opinion BUT A FACT! College graduates DO HAVE lower unemployment than NON- College Graduates! They make more money and have greater job security. Sure, there are good jobs if you are a great mechanic or tradesman BUT overall..... you can't beat a good education as it's something NOBODY can ever take away from you!
  • DissidentRage 2012/07/31 17:57:57 (edited)
    Only because Corporate America is trying to weed out working-class individuals for jobs in favor of people who have enough to support themselves already. It's about making sure that those who are born poor die poor.
  • Windy 2012/07/31 17:53:13
    One need not attend college to get a good paying job, because some of the best paying jobs are blue collar, construction trades -- plumber, electrician, carpenter, asphalt crew, roofer, etc. -- these kinds of jobs generally have fairly high wages and decent bennies and one can learn them from a trade school or on the job training.
  • addie 2012/07/31 16:06:53
    It sort of depends on what you want to do with your life, but you will always have a lot more choices if you have an education. People without one do not always realize that and will reference Edison, but unless you are an Edison...
  • Chris D 2012/07/31 15:31:40
    Chris D
    Go to college, get educated, then start your career - it will be a hole in your life if you don't
  • RageFury 2012/07/31 15:19:46
    Many places now require some college for even getting past the "submit application" phase for the work I do.
    So in my experience, yes but not always.
  • Mattisadoormatt 2012/07/31 12:55:32
    It depends. Neither of my parents went to college and both have well paying jobs. My father is a boss of many at his job, but he also has a boss. And my mother has a very good job in engineering that ships machines around the world and without her, the whole company would crumble. But, my mother is only a draftsman.
  • DizziNY 2012/07/31 12:38:37
  • chris 2012/07/31 12:04:22
    It depends a lot on the job.
  • Pinball Wizard 2012/07/31 11:45:55
    Pinball Wizard
    Technical College, yes.
  • Stan Weinstein 2012/07/31 11:00:16
    Stan Weinstein
    College is only necessary if you're going to be a doctor,scientist, lawyer or a pole dancer.
  • Skye 2012/07/31 09:17:43
  • Xinea 2012/07/31 08:43:22
    The first half of the question. Not the second, necessarily. For me, college forces you to get going with your life - but it's not always directly related to your job. It also looks good on your resume, but there are surprisingly few people who know what their passions are and have the initiative to as far as they want with themselves without college.
  • LUFXIII 2012/07/31 08:04:57
    i think so
  • ThinkAboutIt! 2012/07/31 07:30:42
    Total myth. College is merely a ploy to suck the money out of your pocket for many years.
    Liberal progressives do their best to use the college system to indoctrinate young minds into the socialist way of thinking.
  • Trish ThinkAb... 2012/07/31 13:23:14 (edited)
    Exactly. I think college is a big waste of money. I'd much rather spend 4 yrs reading all the books in a library. Why not, its free education right?

2015/11/28 13:07:17