Do Violent Video Games Negatively Affect Players?

AdriHead 2012/12/21 21:21:55
We hear it all the time: Violent video games are bad for you. They promote violence, they encourage slaughter and they mess with people's minds. And with a new report claiming that Adam Lanza -- the 20-year-old who killed 20 children and a handful of adults at Sandy Hook Elementary in Connecticut recently -- liked to lock himself in his room and play violent video games, discourse about the topic is starting up again.

People want to know why Adam Lanza did it. Was it because he was mentally ill? Was it because he worshipped the devil? Or maybe, it had to do with the fact that he sat for hours playing violent video games in his room? Though no one can be sure why Lanza decided to go through with such a horrific mass shooting, we want to know what you think about violence in video games, in general. Do you think it negatively affects its players?

violent video games

Read More: http://hollywoodlife.com/2012/12/20/adam-lanza-add...

• Kigan 2012/12/21 21:36:33 (edited)
    Kigan
    +39
    Here we go again with this. Unless the player has other serious problems, no a video game is not going to negatively impact him/her to any significant extent.

In fact, for many it allows them to work out stress, anger, negativity, etc. in a way that hurts no one. Most of my gaming friends that play games like this would never hut anyone.

The key is self control and the ability to separate the game from reality. Once again, without other serious problems to fuel it, video games are not going to cause someone to go on a shooting spree. Chances are, they were going to do it anyway.

• dina.kamara.7 2013/01/15 06:42:23
    dina.kamara.7
    will affect those who are prune to be affected
  • PBAB 2013/01/15 06:37:20
    PBAB
    +1
    Of course is does. Being exposed to and participating in violent gaming affects players. Some to a lesser degree than others but the impact is there nonetheless. Pavlov's dogs. We are mammals after all and can't help but be conditioned by extreme violence or any activity when exposed to it 20 hours per day. Those players with a predisposition to violent activity will be desensitized. This in turn makes decisions to kill in the real world that much easier.
  • AJPhoenix 2013/01/14 23:54:21
    AJPhoenix
    I should say it depends, but more than often the answer is Yes... My once best friend use to lock herself all day in her room playing Halo and what not... She drop out of school and became really hostile once anyone told her she spent too much time with her videogames... She became short-tempered and started yelling for no reason whatsoever. I know a bunch of people that, when they start playing videogames, turn into these sad, lonely or agressive persons... I must say I would never allow my kids to play some videogame that's considered too violent for their age...
  • cookie 2013/01/14 21:04:34
    cookie
    Kids will not go around shooting eachover they're not dumb and anyway if that's what u think stop ur child from playing it.
  • ClintAustin26 2013/01/14 20:20:05
    ClintAustin26
    If a violent game does affect a person, that person had other problems to begin with. There's been violence in society since the dawn of civilization. Games are irrelevant.
  • Aran Smeallie 2013/01/14 19:25:13
    Aran Smeallie
    they're no more affecting than crime dramas, and no one has questioned those since everyone loves em so much.
  • Oreo 2013/01/14 15:38:36
    Oreo
    I play COD, GTA, Gears of War, etc. Do I feel like going out and killing somebody just because I suck at COD? Hell no! I know a ton of people who play Call of Duty and whatnot and none of them want to pick up a gun and kill somebody. It is the person that is messed up in the head already. The games aren't the problem. If I play Nascar, does it make me want to go out and start driving 200 MPH around curves and rubbing up against other cars? Hell no it doesn't!
  • Domenica DiNino 2013/01/13 19:22:20
    Domenica DiNino
    its a game so what
  • Dave 007 2013/01/13 14:50:30
    Dave 007
    +1
    This is the usual item that gets the blame when something happens.
  • Xed0 2013/01/13 09:07:56
    Xed0
    +1
    However, I will say parents should REALLY not let anyone under 15 play ANY of the online shooters AT ALL if they shriek and squeal when they die.

But when they are taught that everyone is a winner, they don't know how to take a loss and grow from it.
  • Dark Dragon Goddess 2013/01/13 08:07:24
    Dark Dragon Goddess
    +1
    So I guess me playing Halo 4 and killing aliens makes me want to kill aliens... Just need to wait to be invaded and all that good stuff lmao
  • exdec 2013/01/13 01:02:55
    exdec
    if video games/simulators did not work the military would not be building them.
  • Curtis Silva 2013/01/12 00:16:59
    Curtis Silva
    NNnNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO
  • Alex 2013/01/11 17:02:04
    Alex
    Only because people want to be like the people in video games.
  • Lady Aiyanna 2013/01/11 15:23:49
    Lady Aiyanna
    As a professional gamer as part of my job profile, I went through phases wherein the game became my personality and it was something that shocked me a lot as I used to literally eat,sleep and behave like the game at that point and this created an altered personality until I decided that I wanted to have my own life back and regained everything using perseverance and self control.
    Here is a fact, the game used to make me want to strike people and also made me quite short tempered around that particular era because of this.
  • Nicholas DeShane 2013/01/11 13:48:21 (edited)
    Nicholas DeShane
    +2
    Anything to not blame the parents I guess. I played supper Mario as a kid and hey guess what when I visited my Uncles and played by his pond I did not jump on any turtles, and I play Gta now and do not go around gunning people down. Games at worst might give an already deranged person new ideas but it will not make them a deranged killer in the first place.
  • craptonian 2013/01/11 07:13:26
    craptonian
    you see... it makes the mistake of making us violent, but makes up for it by making us fat and shows how much easier it is to do it in games than real life,so it has not much effect of society XD
  • Capitalism4life 2013/01/11 04:10:44
    Capitalism4life
    +1
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO boy let's do this dance again.
  • Jordan Wardell 2013/01/10 19:07:42
    Jordan Wardell
    +2
    I love this argument, it completely ignores the millions of other gamers just to show one exception. Its like saying Hitler was Austrian so all Austrians are Nazis.
  • Capital... Jordan ... 2013/01/11 04:11:28
    Capitalism4life
    Agreed.
  • Veinallinius 2013/01/10 17:18:47
    Veinallinius
    +2
    If your a screwball the buzz is already there ...
  • CorrectOpinion 2013/01/10 01:56:30
    CorrectOpinion
    Well, there are players and there are addicts. Basically, the mentally disturbed will be negatively effected by these games. But banning the games doesn't solve the problem of mentally disturbed individuals doing bad things. Banning guns. Banning movies and TV? There were numerous murders before media that were ascribed to "accident" when in fact is was a husband or father or son, or daughter that was the murderer. It is part of humanity. Defective brains. No morality.
  • Zexion 2013/01/08 12:06:57
    Zexion
    i have played violent video games for almost my whole life and i have no once had the urge or thoughts to go on a murderous spree.
    In my opinion if the person has some serious psychological problems that are being suppressed then the games will be his own little fantasy world but it wouldnt make him necessarily actually do it. But that's only my thoughts.
  • XXMr.Scare99XX 2013/01/07 01:47:34
    XXMr.Scare99XX
    yes and no it depends on who it is,if it is a very gullible person then yes if it is a sane person then most likely no,
  • *SmileS* =) 2013/01/06 23:28:51
    *SmileS* =)
    i think if you don't have the mentally to realize its just a game then maybe you shouldn't be playing the game at all. video games should not be blamed there ment to be fun and not taken serious
  • honorguard117 2013/01/06 21:59:16
    honorguard117
    +1
    Only the ignorant believe in such assumptions. Everything around us influences us for the good or bad, so why particularly blame videogames? It's because videogames are a rising, popular new form of entertainment that society hasn't truly accepted yet. Videogames have only been around for at least 50 years, so of course people are going to blame something they don't truly understand yet.The only ones that do understand are those born in the 90's as we're the ones truly experiencing the rise of videogames as a powerful, popular source of entertainment. There are millions of gamers around the world, and you see these gamers in conventions and such, dressing up as their favourite characters from their favourite videogames, and I can't imagine such individuals going about town on a 'killing spree' (Get it? Sorry if that is a bit offensive...). I am a gamer myself, having played many violent videogames that do glorify killing, but I don't feel inside me the urge to go to a nearby kindergarten school and kill young, innocent children. I'm sure the millions of players who have played Gears of War and Call of Duty would agree with me. If they didn't, why aren't there more mass shootings in America? Does that make sense? If videogames DO make people violent, why isn't there more killin...
    Only the ignorant believe in such assumptions. Everything around us influences us for the good or bad, so why particularly blame videogames? It's because videogames are a rising, popular new form of entertainment that society hasn't truly accepted yet. Videogames have only been around for at least 50 years, so of course people are going to blame something they don't truly understand yet.The only ones that do understand are those born in the 90's as we're the ones truly experiencing the rise of videogames as a powerful, popular source of entertainment. There are millions of gamers around the world, and you see these gamers in conventions and such, dressing up as their favourite characters from their favourite videogames, and I can't imagine such individuals going about town on a 'killing spree' (Get it? Sorry if that is a bit offensive...). I am a gamer myself, having played many violent videogames that do glorify killing, but I don't feel inside me the urge to go to a nearby kindergarten school and kill young, innocent children. I'm sure the millions of players who have played Gears of War and Call of Duty would agree with me. If they didn't, why aren't there more mass shootings in America? Does that make sense? If videogames DO make people violent, why isn't there more killings in relation to the rising violence in videogames? Because most people have a stable mental condition. A person's mental health suffers when he/she undergoes severe bullying or lives under a dysfunctional family, and by that I mean having a truly abusive father, having a mother who neglects you, etc. Such individuals cease to function because they aren't being fed with love and support, but by abuse and neglect. It's very sad... So, in summary, videogames shouldn't be the one to take the blame, but the people surrounding whoever commits such heinous crimes, and I mean everyone including bullies and family members. If a child is bullied at school yet comes home to a loving family who supports that child, then that person's mental health won't be 'depleted', if that makes sense. It also depends on that child's mental state to begin with, if he/she already has a mental issue...
  • Vic 2013/01/06 12:23:14
    Vic
    my brother is a little bit agressive
  • Palmer Vic 2013/01/09 15:47:28
    Palmer
    Who is to say that little bit of aggressiveness comes from video games? That seems way too general.
  • Kelsey 2013/01/06 09:04:32
    Kelsey
    My brother Was so sweet and stuff as we grew up and at 14 he started playing blackops 2 and omg hes swearing and I know it's not cuz of age it's cuz of this I peeked into his room to grab a can of monster and when I looked up he was playing blackops 2 and a guy stabs another guy in the eye I started yelling at him like wth is his prob then he kept swearing me (my bro has changed)
  • Palmer Kelsey 2013/01/09 15:54:06
    Palmer
    +1
    I noticed a lot of people who answered "Yes" on here mention little kids- it's more like people who are raised by games end up with problems, which should be common sense. And I hate to tell you, but yes, most kids go through that stage regardless of whether they play video games or not. Kids are just exposed to swearing and stuff throughout their life, it'll come out eventually, and it's typically at that "rebellious teen" stage. There's almost no avoiding it. And there is absolutely no avoiding someone changing over time. By the way, in my 20 years, I've heard/seen way worse from different forms of media than someone getting stabbed in the eye. I rarely even play/played games and what you describe sounds like something you'd see in a lot of things. Movies, news... Hell, I've seen what you described on my Facebook feed, and that's not even a game.
  • Sal Monella ~PWCM~JL 2013/01/06 06:47:10
    Sal Monella ~PWCM~JL
    We'll never know what caused Adam Lanza,to do what he did.

Certainly, mental illness played some role. But more importantly, this was PURE EVIL on display. Shooting his mother multiple times and each of the 26 victims in the school multiple times seemed a bit of overkill IMHO. This was a demon-possessed shooter.

There are such things ........... demon-possessed humans.

demon possessions soul
  • Taylor 2013/01/06 06:31:28
    Taylor
    I have four different mental illnesses including multi personality disorder, bipolar, ADHD, and some other fourth thing. I play more video games then anyone i know, most of them greatly violent. I don't ever do things like this, or even get the urge to. How are you going to blame video games augmenting an illness. It is the persons choice, nothing else.
  • JJ Harris 2013/01/06 04:51:08
    JJ Harris
    they mess up your head
  • Matt Savard 2013/01/06 01:03:47
    Matt Savard
    I believe it gives players a better knowledge of how to kill, a mindset throughout the day of getting back to that game to kill more. I myself love FPS games and will never stop playing them. But I have the mental capability to understand its a game where as some believe they need to take it to another level. Inside the game they escape their problems, bullying at school, abusive parents, etc. So I think the ones who carry it out are ones who want to live the life they do inside the game where they escape their real world problems.
  • R85 2013/01/05 08:00:38
    R85
    "ONE PERSON WENT ON A KILLING SPREE AFTER PLAYING VIOLENT VIDEO GAMES"
    Oh please, get a grip. I doubt StarCraft would drive a man insane. Sure I get mad if I forget my injects or slip on my macro, but I don't go out and kill 20 people because of it (if anything, that's more of a chess game than a violent video game). Besides, I'm sure StarCraft is to blame due to all the mass shootings in South Korea where this game is most popular... oh wait, there's not any.
    Call Of Duty? I get mad because of lag but that sure as hell doesn't mean I want to gun down children.
    There is a fine barrier established between video games and reality, and anyone that is unable to view this line must be mentally unstable in the first place.
    Why don't they blame it on violent movies or violent music or violent anything else? Blaming it on something that people understand little just makes a better headline and makes more drama. It's a shame video games are the scapegoat now; before it was texting, the internet in general, violent movies, etc.
  • anonymous anonymous 2013/01/04 22:14:45
    anonymous anonymous
    Well, my brother locks himself in his room for hours playing violent video games and he would never do what Adam Lanza did. There has to be some mental problem for the video games to take root on before they actually cause a problem. With that in mind, I don't think young children should play games that promote killing and violence, especially after the Newtown shootings.
  • Shme 2013/01/04 21:22:38
    Shme
    From what I have personally observed, violent video games do negatively affect immature players. Little boys in grade school playing call of duty causes them to talk about shooting people, they draw guns, and play more violently. Immature girls playing games like mortal kombat teach them to be more aggressive and violent. Plus all these violent games have very strong language, which kids than repeat. I'm all for video games, but only for the mature.
  • Aloria 2013/01/04 21:13:24
    Aloria
    I CLICKED YES,no question about it violent blood lusting video games many produced and distributed by the Japanese hAve contributed to the decline of American society,that and absentee parents who are self serving.........
  • stevegtexas@aol.com 2013/01/04 16:07:05
  • ben.agar1 2013/01/04 09:56:00
    ben.agar1
    It doesn't matter. There have always been frigged up people who do frigged up things even since humanity was young. Violent video games have nothing to do with it, people are the problem. Bad parents, being bullied at school, mental illness that stuff is to blame.

2014/04/16 22:30:23