California Bill Would Allow Home Cooks To Sell Goods: Would You Buy Food From Home Cooks?

mrosen814 2012/08/29 20:00:00
Related Topics: Food, Cooks, homemade food
Lawmakers in California are currently deciding on whether to pass bill AB 1616, co-written by Assemblyman Mike Gatto (D-Silver Lake). If passed, the bill would enable home cooks to prepare and sell homemade food, without the use of a commercial kitchen. Some rules would include no meat and cream and home cooks could only sell $50,000 worth of product per year.

LATIMES.COM reports:
A California bill it would allow home cooks and bakers to sell goods not made in a commercial kitchen.
latimes reports california home cooks bakers sell goods commercial kitchen

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/features/food/dailydish/la-...

• Fef 2012/08/29 21:43:52
    Fef
    +11
    Really? This surprises me.
    It doesn't surprise me that we have a stupid law regulating every aspect of our lives -- California Democrats have done that for years.

It surprises me that they want to repeal the law.

I wonder what home-cook Mr. Gatto has in his district that he wants to satisfy.

• John Hall 2012/09/01 16:43:09
    John Hall
    I would buy from home cooks .
  • 2012/08/31 23:14:17
    its a great idea, i dont make alot of money, and i need money for a mission trip to Africa, and marrying my fiance. I make some food items that everyone i know loves, and if i could sell it, i wouldnt be in such a financial rut.
  • bags the Indigenous Guru 2012/08/31 23:03:02
    bags the Indigenous Guru
    I barter with some folks now. Not much different.
    Sure I would, if I knew the guy. Why shouldn't we let them sell their wares? After all, I eat at pot-luck dinners at my church. It's the same kind of thing. And how about bake sales?
  • ParkMan 2012/08/31 22:31:25
    ParkMan
    I'd like to think I would, but really, no I wouldn't unless I already knew them.
  • Kat ♪.BTO-t-BCRA-F~PWCM~ 2012/08/31 22:12:39
    Kat ♪.BTO-t-BCRA-F~PWCM~
    Well it would depend.
  • Dan 2012/08/31 22:11:29
    Dan
    Sure, and if it was good. I'd buy more!
  • ZenerSix 2012/08/31 20:56:27 (edited)
    ZenerSix
    Absolutely I would! Some people know how to cook up a storm with home grown, vine-ripped veggies and spices.

But this bill sounds too good to be true, stupid rules aside. Because it would restore a pretty big part of cottage industry that was destroyed long ago by commercial regulations that were created under the guise of safety but functionally intended to keep regular folks from competing with commercial kitchens as well as earning an income without an employer there to deduct income taxes. I will be floored if it passes.
  • dear•LT13☻ 2012/08/31 19:21:24
    dear•LT13☻
    maybe
  • DP 2012/08/31 19:13:51
    DP
    I'm sorry, but there's a significant amount of people that don't wash their hands. I'm a germaphobe and afraid that I'll get something because some old schooler decided that dirt didn't hurt. Sorry, but fecal matter DOES HURT!

I only eat food from people that I KNOW wash their hands and practice cleanliness. I couldn't trust someone I hardly know to make food out of their kitchen.
  • ZenerSix DP 2012/08/31 21:02:45 (edited)
    ZenerSix
    The same nasty, spiteful people are working in commercial kitchens right now- fast food joints, and the factories that make all the sauces, canned foods, and pre-fabricated frozen entrees we see in the grocery stores. I once found a small piece of dried up human feces in a bar of soap. Last weekend I bought a bag of fully cooked grilled chicken breasts only to find that they aren't quite as depicted on the package. Some of the breasts aren't fully cooked and some of them are spoiled, which you can smell as soon as you thaw it out. I think home cooked food is safer because the people selling it are the one's who make it and they have a personal reputation to protect.
  • DP ZenerSix 2012/09/01 00:59:02
    DP
    +1
    I hardly eat out because of those reasons. I'm also very meticulous when examining things I buy. It's almost paranoia.
  • ZenerSix DP 2012/09/01 02:45:55
    ZenerSix
    +1
    Same here. It's not paranoia at all, it's wisdom from experience.
  • Kerri Mackenzie 2012/08/31 18:26:54
    Kerri Mackenzie
    I'm shocked a California politician would introduce a bill freeing home based entrepreneurs to build a business around their kitchen creations sans the crippling commercial kitchen regulation.
  • twjones1966 2012/08/31 17:22:49
    twjones1966
    wow what a concept! To think people can cook and make a living! I know and have seen the many reasons including sanitary and ingredients. We have farmers markets where I live and as far as I know people have cooked for others for as long as there has been money and before we had a government. Our farmer's market has people selling baked goods right along with the fresh produce. If the people selling it look bad don't buy it. The trouble is that most people would puke if they knew what is put in commercial products or how some where prepared.
  • fortycal_sig 2012/08/31 16:51:06
    fortycal_sig
    A step in the right direction.
  • Bob DiN 2012/08/31 16:32:25
    Bob DiN
    No I do my own cooking.
  • TheBadOne 2012/08/31 16:25:23
    TheBadOne
    +1
    So for those of you playing at home, California's trying to allow cooks to bake out of their own kitchen while in Arizona, they're prohibiting bystanders from passing out free water.

Does anyone else think that, intuitively speaking, that's kinda backwards?
  • lucky 2012/08/31 15:34:09
    lucky
    +1
    There is a lady not to far from where I live that makes the best cinnamon rolls right out of her farmhouse kitchen, I buy them from her every time Im over that way.
  • Ysggirb 2012/08/31 05:08:05
    Ysggirb
    +1
    But not from somebody wearing that hat.
  • Terrain 2012/08/31 02:03:41
    Terrain
    +1
    It Really I Mean Really depends.... I Studied as a Chef and i know that some people are less Sanitary in their own homes. Think of the number of times you've tasted something with the same spoon in your own home while cooking for your family. Think of all those little innocent habits you may have while cooking for your family and ask yourself is this really a good idea?
  • Rust 2012/08/30 23:21:59
  • Sperry23 2012/08/30 23:14:12
    Sperry23
    +1
    It depends on who did the cooking and their reputation. If the food or the cook looks iffy, no way!
  • Ben 2012/08/30 21:34:51
    Ben
    +1
    YES YES YES YES and YEeEEEEESsSSSSsssSs!!!!!!
  • moviebuff 2012/08/30 21:20:13
    moviebuff
    +1
    There are many unsanitary restaurants out there. Why not give home cooks a try? 50k a year is not terrible. And times are tough, we all have to get creative. We need to survive. I wish these guys luck, but I'm sure they'll be successful if they are hella good at what they do.
  • Pronatalist Pronatalist 2012/08/30 21:04:58
    Pronatalist Pronatalist
    +1
    Well it's about time, somebody did something to return jobs back to The United Slaves of America!

Buy from a real person, rather than from some giant corporation that tries to steal from us, by ever "downsizing" their unhealthy products.

But is this a ruse to invade privacy, trample the 4th Amendment, with "health inspections?" Never can trust those sneaky, evil, NWO-leaning politicians.

I probably could get by, with up to $50,000 a year. But after the impending fiat paper currency collapse, $50,000 won't buy a loaf of bread? I guess we will have to bake our own?

If we have any more government "help" in "stimulating" our dying economy to death, will we also have undocumented "bed and breakfasts" run out of almost every other house, like in communist Cuba? As where else will there be any jobs, other than in lousy government?
  • Sheery 2012/08/30 20:40:25 (edited)
    Sheery
    +1
    No Meat no cream .

So there would be alot of fruits and vegetables I assume.

No tamales,for sure.

I think this sounds good or is it a way to help illegals?
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2012/08/30 20:29:20
    MOMMA THOMAS
    +4
    GOOD JOB FOR "UNEMPLOYED." .....RETURNING TO THE WAY IT WAS IN THE OLDEN DAYS?
  • rcardon 2012/08/30 19:48:32
    rcardon
    +2
    So long as I knew the person, or they were highly recommended by someone I trusted, I'd buy from them.
  • Pronata... rcardon 2012/08/30 21:07:08
    Pronatalist Pronatalist
    +1
    So you would rather buy from an impersonal corporation, that puts loads of unpronounceable crap into our "downsized" foods?

Real people would probably use lots of healthy ingredients, that is, if they like to have REPEAT CUSTOMERS.
  • rcardon Pronata... 2012/08/31 17:07:29
    rcardon
    True, but if just anyone could open a bakery, or other food shop from their home, you would want to be careful who you buy from. I mean, say a new guy moves in down the street and opens a little bakery selling dinner rolls, loaves of bread and simple cakes. Sounds nice, right? Then, a few months down the road it comes out the guys a meth-head and you and your kids have been eating bread made in the same kitchen he cooks his meth in. Scary right? That kind of thing could happen,in today's world. That's what the law is trying to establish, is how safe would it be to allow those kinds of businesses, how big is the risk?
    You want to talk about getting repeat customers, just cook a little cannabis into brownies/cakes, get people addicted to them and they'll keep coming back.
  • Pronata... rcardon 2012/09/19 01:55:29
    Pronatalist Pronatalist
    That is so ridiculous. Maybe I ought to probe into every person I buy anything from, and ask them their religion, and what they do, to make sure not 1 dime, goes to anything I don't believe in? Maybe I ought to ask them what their political party affiliation is, since everybody is now to be "guilty until proven innocent?"

Do you really think that stupid government inspections, insures that some rude food preparer, won't spit into your food, especially if you are a "cheap" tipper?

If you want a better world, should you just assume that everybody is filthy and a pot-head, until some government test, proves they are "normal?"

If you want to know how clean a restaurant is, don't just believe the government inspection rating from half a year ago. Go take a peek in the restroom.

govenment food safety harassment

govenment food safety harassment

govenment food safety harassment
  • rcardon Pronata... 2012/09/19 15:07:29
    rcardon
    Now you're just being vengeful because I made a better argument than you, and you can't refute it.
  • Pronata... rcardon 2012/09/20 05:08:43
    Pronatalist Pronatalist
    Ha! Who do you think you are fooling, opining for more government meddling in our lives?

Just accusing every budding entrepreneur, of being some suspicious character not to be trusted? Trying to make it harder for anybody to create some more jobs?

government paperwork

government paperwork

government paperwork

government paperwork

government paperwork
  • JakeisHere 2012/08/30 19:28:02
    JakeisHere
    +2
    Hell yes, sounds delicious. I would hope they would be liable for the safety of the food they provide however.
  • bob 2012/08/30 19:06:46
    bob
    +2
    sounds yummy
  • Sodahead Founders are Fascists 2012/08/30 18:36:29
    Sodahead Founders are Fascists
    I have seen enough of Gordon Ramsay's show 'Masterchef' to know that home cooks are vastly inferior to professional chefs.
  • Jessica 2012/08/30 17:57:25
    Jessica
    +1
    Cooked at home is the best!!
  • zoe 2012/08/30 17:55:20
    zoe
    +1
    Hallelujah!!!! It's the most natural cooking possible.
  • BlondBomber 2012/08/30 17:44:49
    BlondBomber
    +2
    If they keep things clean I would have no problem. I think it would be a risk to sell that way because someone will surely claim an injury, and sue your pants off.
    Especially true in Cali.

2014/04/19 04:45:07