Baby Killed By Puppy- Should 2 Month-Old Zane Alen Earles' Mother Face Criminal Charges?

Kim [Ninja]™ 2008/07/29 18:28:01
Yes! Zane Earles mother should be investigated! Puppies are unpredictable!
No. Things like this happen, Zane Earles' mother is young, it was an accident.
I think that Zane Earles' mother should be...
Police Officer Jason Willingham says that Zane Alen Earles was mauled by a black Labrador puppy when Zane was left unattended in a swing. His 17-year old mother and his grandmother were in another area of the house at the time of the attack. Zane Earles was pronounced dead on the scene and the dog was put down.

Do you think Zane Earles mother and grandmother should face criminal charges?

• ThePersonBehindTheDesk 2008/07/29 18:36:18
    ThePersonBehindTheDesk
    +9
    She wasn't exactly out for the day or anything, she was in the other room. She probably made a mistake with leaving the boy with the dog, but labs are usually really nice. I think a lot of people could have made this mistake regardless of age! And you can't imagine the kind of grief she probably has over it!

• wanda 2009/06/18 11:39:29
    wanda
    should be investigated/poor baby/that is so sad
  • neesieak 2008/12/31 01:17:26
    neesieak
    examined, no mother does not hear their child especially that young. i woke up to every sound my son made. even from across the house. thats what drugs do to kids
  • doc 2008/10/19 12:59:08 (edited)
    doc
    I think the family has already been through enough. And leaving the child unattended in a swing is something that most mothers have probably done. No one expects anything to go wrong in the few seconds they're away but it does happen. The tragedy from all of this will probably make the mother gun shy now to have more children, and to get another pet.

In any case, criminal charges are not going to bring the child back. Only add insult to injury. And both mother & grandmother will have to live with these memories for the rest of their lives. I don't see where charges & a trial is gonna help anything. And neither did killing the puppy. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Now when can we get rid of matty507?
  • missnoee 2008/10/18 13:15:48
    missnoee
    She should be charged with negligence. It was an accident. She was very young, and immature. Who would have ever thought a 2 mo old pup could or would cause a childs death. Sounds like the puppy was playing rough, and most likely laid on that baby so it couldn't breathe. Not something intentional by mom or pup. But it is neglect. The mother being so young, I think the grandmother needs to be charged as well. Sad deal.
  • Rox 2008/08/12 22:33:09
    Rox
    +2
    No one should ever leave a baby unattended. I think they should not have put the puppy down.
  • missnoee Rox 2008/10/18 13:17:58
    missnoee
    No knowing all the details........I don't know. But if it was playing and laid down on the baby causing it not to breathe, then no! That pup should not have been killed !
  • LAdy_SeA_HoRse 2008/08/12 14:33:45
    LAdy_SeA_HoRse
    Not just the mother, but everyone else in the household. I don't see any reason why a puppy would just attack a baby. Puppies are unpredictable, Just like babies and Toddlers. I feel that, if anything, it should be the dad's or the grandfather's fault. When you need to leave the house you need to make sure that the baby is going to be near someone. Like all babies and toddlers, puppies teeth. So maybe the puppy didn't "Maul" the baby. Maul is such a nasty word. I'm sure the scene was disturbing,but who's to say that it was a mauling?? Maybe, the puppy thought it was something else. The boy was in a swing, Maybe the puppy actually thought is was another animal or something. Dogs/puppies like to chase and play with things that move. Maybe the puppy wanted to play. They do have very sharp teeth. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. No children, especially very young ones should be left alone with puppies. Just cuz the boy was in a swing doesn't mean that the puppy couldn't reach him. The grandfather should have put the baby in the same room as the mother and closed the door. Don't blame a dog, which was barely older the the boy, for this. The puppy didn't know better. The puppy was too young to even know what mauling is. Why would they have put the puppy down?? If it was eval...'''
    Not just the mother, but everyone else in the household. I don't see any reason why a puppy would just attack a baby. Puppies are unpredictable, Just like babies and Toddlers. I feel that, if anything, it should be the dad's or the grandfather's fault. When you need to leave the house you need to make sure that the baby is going to be near someone. Like all babies and toddlers, puppies teeth. So maybe the puppy didn't "Maul" the baby. Maul is such a nasty word. I'm sure the scene was disturbing,but who's to say that it was a mauling?? Maybe, the puppy thought it was something else. The boy was in a swing, Maybe the puppy actually thought is was another animal or something. Dogs/puppies like to chase and play with things that move. Maybe the puppy wanted to play. They do have very sharp teeth. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. No children, especially very young ones should be left alone with puppies. Just cuz the boy was in a swing doesn't mean that the puppy couldn't reach him. The grandfather should have put the baby in the same room as the mother and closed the door. Don't blame a dog, which was barely older the the boy, for this. The puppy didn't know better. The puppy was too young to even know what mauling is. Why would they have put the puppy down?? If it was evaluated by the shelter then the animal shelter wouldn't have put it down. So in other words, maybe someone else had it put down. I still don't see why anyone heard the baby. I could hear mine all the way across my house. For that matter, I can hear the baby next door, so how could they not have heard. Especially if there was three people there. Like all mothers, You become a light sleeper, especially if you are a very new mother like she was. I feel so bad for the family I couldn't imagine how they are felling right now. But still they should have used common sense. Never leave a young child and a young puppy alone together.
  • missnoee LAdy_Se... 2008/10/18 13:22:42
    missnoee
    Lady, why would the father and grandfather be responsible???? They were not there. And in fact, there is no proof the father and grandfather even live there ! I agree, the pup shouldn't have been euthanized.
  • runningintriangles 2008/08/04 14:56:37
    runningintriangles
    +2
    She's suffering enough already. Though she should have been watching her child, she made the mistake of not doing so and that will haunt her for the rest of her life.
  • Vernard running... 2008/08/29 21:25:55
    Vernard
    +1
    You're right. Anyone who allows their baby to be eaten alive by a dog should only get a $10 fine and a stern warning.
  • running... Vernard 2008/08/30 04:39:26 (edited)
    runningintriangles
    +2
    Gee, surprisingly enough, your sarcasm was heard through the internet. That rarely happens. Congrats.
  • pynk 2008/08/03 22:10:39
    pynk
    +1
    i don't think you know what can ever happen. just like people. what if it was another child that had accidentily di something and the baby passed away. it is sad and i think if we have to put criminal charges on them then if it was another child do we press charges on their parents???
    i hope that the family will get over this tragic thing that has occured though. because we all judge so easily until it happens to someone you love.--dont worry--i am not perfect! i judge pretty quick also without knowing all of the facts sometimes.
  • I quit!!! 2008/08/03 16:39:28 (edited)
    I quit!!!
    +1
    Neglect is the cause of the child’s death. An animal is exactly that! All animals are unpredictable! Even if you have owned the animal all of its life, that animal still at any moment can do something unexpected. She should have never left the animal with the baby alone. It was neglect! She is responsible for leaving her baby unattended. End of Story! However, after the investigation of all the facts. Often it is found that it was a horrible mistake. Lesson learned the hard way. Jail time is strictly dependent of the circumstances.
  • missnoee I quit!!! 2008/10/18 13:25:05
    missnoee
    Very sensible reply Mugahead.
  • fangsup44 2008/08/02 21:33:50
    fangsup44
    +2
    This is a terrible story. This was a tragedy and an accident. And I think its ridiculous that they put the dog down because it was a puppy and probably just wanted to play.
  • trader 2008/08/02 20:29:33
    trader
    +1
    Animals are unpredictable. Never ever leave your baby unattended. I truelly feel sorry for her.
  • Liz 2008/08/02 10:55:32
    Liz
    +1
    Only God really could answer that one for me.But your baby out of ear reach is questionable.How could you not hear the puppy doing that to your baby?????????
  • Raindropkitten™~the author ... 2008/08/02 05:33:07 (edited)
    Raindropkitten™~the author of þhαετ~
    +2
    its a very sad story but no one would have predicted it and age has nothing to do with it...just bc she was 17 doesnt mean she is a bad mother...her mother was there too and not in the room either and dogs attack ppl all the time for no apparent reason and perhaps the puppy was just playing and got a little rough...i feel so bad...this makes me wanna cry
  • ....... 2008/08/02 04:40:32
  • n@N33 2008/08/02 02:46:34
    n@N33
    +1
    i dont even know what to say about this
    i mean you never ever leave a baby unattended
    ever especially with any aninal around
    an im sure tha baby was cryin while the poor thing was gettin mauled this
    just makes me so sick
  • jesse e... n@N33 2008/08/02 04:14:00
    jesse earles
    +2
    you dont know what happened
    that was my family
    and the media messes everything up
    and gets details wrong
  • n@N33 jesse e... 2008/08/02 04:15:03
    n@N33
    +1
    ok so tell me tha whole story of what happend
    i wuld like to know
  • jesse e... n@N33 2008/08/03 04:20:18
    jesse earles
    +2
    okay
    what happened was linzy and holly were not in the room when her bf and my uncle left
    the baby was left in the swing because both of them had to go to work
    they were still sleeping when the baby was killed
    what they are saying is that it is basicaly just my cousin and aunts fault
    when it cant be just them at fault
    the news is making my family look like bad people
    when how often people everywhere leave their kids in the room
    while they go to another room to do laundry or go to the bathroom
    it shouldnt happen, but it does
    it was an accident and things happen
    and i dont think people except our family and their friends understand how much it will impact the rest of our lives
    but mostly her life
    the news want to give a story that will make people interested
    not informed
    and i dont think that the people saying yes understand how they dont know every single detail
    they dont understand how some stuff they are believing is false information
  • pynk jesse e... 2008/08/03 22:12:25
    pynk
    +1
    the way the media puts it or how they say it makes it way worst than it is. they sometimes don't report everything. wish you all the best!!!
  • missnoee jesse e... 2008/10/18 13:31:42
    missnoee
    Thank you very much Jesse for clarifying the story. It mades me change my thoughts,and I don't think your cousin or aunt should be held liable in any way at all. What I thought was that the puppy was playing and maybe laid on the baby where it couldn't breathe. Is that what happened? You have my sympathy Jesse. I am very sorry for your whole family.
  • YourGod... jesse e... 2008/08/02 04:52:21 (edited)
    YourGodisDead
    Lol, I'd love to know the entire story also.

Let me guess... it was a pitbull?
  • Raindro... YourGod... 2008/08/02 05:35:33
    Raindropkitten™~the author of þhαετ~
    +5
    um that is a horrible misconception...pitbulls aren't mean dogs...its the people who raise them...my mother breeds wrots, pitbulls and dobbies all three dogs which are accused of being bad dogs and out of all the dogs she has breed not one of them has ever attacked anyone
  • trader Raindro... 2008/08/02 20:33:03
    trader
    Raindropkitten it is not always a missconception. Animals are unpredictable. The puppy in question was probably playing but it doesn't take much with an infant.
  • Raindro... trader 2008/08/02 23:39:15
    Raindropkitten™~the author of þhαετ~
    +3
    no assuming that the puppy was a pitbull is a misconception
  • trader Raindro... 2008/08/02 23:49:45
    trader
    +1
    Sorry that one went by me.
  • Raindro... trader 2008/08/03 15:19:51
    Raindropkitten™~the author of þhαετ~
    +2
    lol...no in my answer to the poll i said that puppies were unpredictible which they are ...i just hate when ppl assume automatically that it was a pitbull or something...for all you know it could have been a lab or a golden retriever
  • trader Raindro... 2008/08/03 17:14:35
    trader
    True. Will give you a story about a dog we had. I'll keep it short. We had a pickapoo. It is very small like a pekingnese. Our neighbor had baby goats. This dog one day went in to the pen and dragged a baby goat out kicking and screaming. To this day we don't know why.
  • missnoee trader 2008/10/18 13:38:19
    missnoee
    So trader, are you going to finish the story??? What happened to the baby goat and the dog ????????
  • trader missnoee 2008/10/18 16:36:21
    trader
    +1
    Baby goat had it's throat ripped out. The dog I put down.
  • missnoee trader 2008/11/16 18:38:55
    missnoee
    OMG ! A peekapoo did THAT much damage? Amazing ! Very agressive for that kind of dog !
  • trader missnoee 2008/11/16 20:32:55
    trader
    +1
    Yes it was. Scarey stuff and the dog wasn't rabid or mistreated.
  • missnoee trader 2008/11/17 03:00:12
    missnoee
    Well, I have a13# yorkie/mini dashound who used to chase my chickens if they got out........and he'd catch them and would probably killed them if I wasn't there. But I'd just yell his name and no, and he would just hold it down til I retreived it. But I just never heard of a small dog like that going after anything as big as a baby goat, that wasn't being aggresive. That's just wild !
  • doc Raindro... 2008/08/03 21:43:31
    doc
    +3
    In this poll, it was a Lab...
  • Raindro... doc 2008/10/21 03:03:09
    Raindropkitten™~the author of þhαετ~
    yeah i caught that later =]
  • missnoee Raindro... 2008/10/18 13:36:37
    missnoee
    Well.......it says right at the beginning of the story it was a Blk Labrador !

2014/04/20 14:00:45