Why has Canada have so many fewer incidents of mass murder than the United States?

Dude-a-baker 2012/07/21 02:22:00
Canada has strict gun possession laws.
I am sorry about the grammatical error in the question. It is too late for me to change it.

• Barb Dawe 2013/01/16 03:36:16
    Canada has strict gun possession laws.
    Barb Dawe
    canada is a much smaller country
  • Jennifer 2012/12/15 04:36:23
    Canada has strict gun possession laws.
    Jennifer
    Here is a like to some stats. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...

Canada 1.6 per 100,000
    United States 4.2 per 100,000

So the US has roughly 2.6% more homicides. I don't have figures on mass murders.

Homicides happen and will happen even with strict gun regulations in place. But really, set a person loose with a knife in a school and how many people is he going to take out compared to someone going in loaded up with semiautomatic guns?

Gun control works.
  • Greg Byrd Jennifer 2012/12/17 00:48:39
    Greg Byrd
    +7
    "But really, set a person loose with a knife in a school and how many people is he going to take out compared to someone going in loaded up with semiautomatic guns? "

How about 23? http://www.nydailynews.com/ne...
  • Robie Greg Byrd 2012/12/17 17:57:45
    Robie
    +9
    Interesting article, Greg. Most interesting part is this:

"No deaths have been reported."

Guns are much more deadly than knives. That's why "you never bring a knife to a gunfight".
  • Tabitha Greg Byrd 2012/12/18 02:27:19
    Tabitha
    +8
    Key word in her statement KILLED with a knife. Your post says injured. K still bad but NOT the same.
  • Prime Time Lime 2012/12/15 00:43:30
    This is why_____
    Prime Time Lime
    +1
    Canadian society was never gun conscious,and most would never consider killing another human bieng.There are very few homicides considering about 1/3 of the population owns guns.To this day people are so trusting that many leave their doors unlocked when leaving their homes. No one is concerned about carrying a gun since firstly it is agaist the law,and secondly there is no need for it for even the criminals do not own guns as well. Guns are almost strickly looked at a a weapon for hunting or target shooting,but otherwise they have no use in Canada.
  • Dude-a-... Prime T... 2012/12/15 02:34:41
  • NCIS Addict 2012/12/14 23:49:45
    This is why_____
    NCIS Addict
    You just dont hear about them.

Homicide rates in Canada rise 7%
    Firearm deaths at lowest level in almost 50 years as killers favour the blade

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada...
  • Dickens 2012/12/08 16:48:20 (edited)
    This is why_____
    Dickens
    +1
    ...because all those American mass murderers are simply exercising their constitutional right to bear arms...(..besides, EVERY country has fewer mass murderers than the U.S...)
  • Dickens 2013/08/21 16:59:09
    Not every country has all the gangs we do in the US and most of them are Hispanic or Black. There are others but I said most. We sit right on the Mexican border in the southwest and Canada does not connect to that border at all, so they don't have as much criminal activity coming and going from South of the border as the US does. The whole mindset is different because of the ethnic/racial mix in the US. As for guns, the second amendment gives the right to form militias and then bear arms. It is the states that make the strictest gun controls. We have a gun control law from 1968 and back then no one objected but the 2nd Amendment is one that was not included in the state Constitutions so the Supreme Court after studying early cases and written documents by those who wrote these laws have decided the states and not the Federal government can create gun control laws because they are not hampered by the 2nd Amendment. They just can't take away your right to own one but they can regulate them. The Federal government can create minimalistic things.

I think most mean killing sprees and not so much mass murdering.

"According to the FBI, for individuals, mass murder is defined as the person murdering four or more persons during a particular event with no cooling-off period between the m...

"According to the FBI, for individuals, mass murder is defined as the person murdering four or more persons during a particular event with no cooling-off period between the murders. A mass murder differs from a spree killing, in that it may be committed by individuals or organizations, whereas a spree killing is committed by one or two individuals."

If it is more than one place it is serial murder.
  • Kitty 2012/12/03 07:34:21
    Canada has strict gun possession laws.
    Kitty
    +1
    Besides the fact that Canada has only 30 million people while the USA has over 300 million most of who are all packing guns.
  • Kitty 2013/01/12 02:40:47
    +12
    Most people are not packing guns. It is illegal in "most" states to carry a concealed weapon. Some of this started with the high influx from countries south of us and their penchant for forming gangs. Where there weren't many there are dozens now and they get guns either here or out of the countries south of us. Read about all the killings in Venezuela. Each state has their own regulations that accompany the federal laws and they vary. We have cut mental health programs and put a lot back onto the streets and not the citizens so don't keep saying it's Americans. Three of the mass murders I know about dealt with conditions, one schizophrenia, one Asperger's Syndrome and I don't know what might have accompanied that and a mental breakdown due to the stresses of no job and educational difficulties. None of this is condonable but until some of the underlying things are resolved, it will not fix the fact that people will get guns in anyway they can and commit crimes. Where the country is located is some of the problem as well for the free flow of arms through black market sales. It is a complex issue and not an overnight quick fix.
  • TEPP 2012/12/03 04:50:39
    This is why_____
    TEPP
    +1
    They have a knack for not pissing everyone off. . . Which pisses me off.
  • Dude-a-... TEPP 2012/12/03 04:54:17
  • TEPP Dude-a-... 2012/12/03 04:59:32
    TEPP
    +2
    No, I was trying to represent a nationalist mindset. Canada is my second choice (after Britain) for where to go if I leave the States.
  • Dude-a-... TEPP 2012/12/03 05:03:58
  • boots 2012/07/22 15:55:32
    Canada has strict gun possession laws.
    boots
    +3
    Most Canadians can not own a handgun.
    We are all allowed hunting rifles but to get a handgun you have to do 2 different full weekends of gun safety and handgun training.
    Then you have to write a written exam and then it takes and 4 months before you get your papers and permit to own a handgun.
    I know because I did it.
    I am happy the laws are so strict because responsible gun owners like me have to go through to get one.
    So that makes it so much harder for criminal or the insane to get they're hands on one.
  • troiis.... boots 2012/12/14 22:44:08
    troiis.soapsetc
    +10
    Not true 1 in 19 people in Canada have guns. It is legal to own a hangun if you have your pink card to do so. I know I have a few. I use to work in law enforcement. Responsible people can and will get a gun just follow the rules.
  • Tabitha boots 2012/12/18 02:32:20
    Tabitha
    +6
    Not opposing you having a handgun but what in the hell do you need a handgun for?
  • boots Tabitha 2012/12/19 12:08:19
    boots
    I just use it to go range shooting.
    It is really the only time I use it.
  • Tabitha 2013/08/21 17:06:49
    Move to Oakland CA and then come back and ask that question.
  • boots 2013/08/21 17:05:05
    The states really regulate how one can own a gun. Some states require a lot of training and a wait. Your laws sound like they cover the whole country. Ours do not because of our Bill of Rights. We have some Federal laws about it but it is still the states that pass the laws that control most ownership of guns and what you have to do to get one and especially handguns. There is a black market though through the countries south of the US border.
  • La 2012/07/22 15:50:58
    Canada has strict gun possession laws.
    La
    +3
    Most countries have less mass murder than the US >.<
  • Pat 2012/07/22 06:28:50
    This is why_____
    +5
    Because they have National Health and all the nuts are being treated before they harm someone.
  • Dude-a-... Pat 2012/07/22 15:28:16
  • Pat Dude-a-... 2012/07/22 19:29:53
    +1
    I was really being at least partly facetious but I do think that we have a large number of people in the U.S. who seem stuck on the idea that the government is against us and they will one day turn on us and try to destroy us. I don't feel that way. But, even if we all had automatic weapons we couldn't defeat an army of thousands with tanks and rockets and air power. It's just ridiculous to think of a scenario like that.
  • Michael McFascist 2012/07/21 22:47:24 (edited)
  • Dude-a-... Michael... 2012/07/21 23:03:59
  • ken.mcn... Michael... 2012/12/17 08:09:41
    ken.mcnamara.5
    +8
    We are a lot warmer her in Vancouver than in the entire northeast US as well as CO, ND, SD, WY, UT, MN,ID, NE, IA, WI, IL, IN, MI, OH
  • ParkMan 2012/07/21 13:39:18
    This is why_____
    ParkMan
    It's a smaller country.
  • Fariborz-Zak 2012/07/21 06:49:38
    This is why_____
    Fariborz-Zak
    +2
    because US troops r killing women and kids around the world more than Canadain troops
  • Dude-a-... Faribor... 2012/07/21 18:07:52
  • Faribor... Dude-a-... 2012/07/23 05:09:12
    Fariborz-Zak
    +1
    one of the reason
  • La Faribor... 2012/07/22 15:51:37
    La
    +2
    But...it's usually Americans who are mass killing other Americans....isn't it?
  • Faribor... La 2012/07/23 05:10:08
    Fariborz-Zak
    +1
    check how many women and kids have been killed by US troops arount the world at least in last 50 years.
  • troiis.... Faribor... 2012/12/14 22:48:46
    troiis.soapsetc
    +11
    I guess you need to check and see how many women and men have been killed by the Mounted police in Canada. The natives are dying all the time read your paper.
  • Faribor... 2013/08/21 17:20:17
    Check out how many of their own people are killing them as well. We don't go out of our way to kill civilians but it happens and often with drones but that is the government and not the citizens. We don't have control over that. I have a friend that is a medic and he has seen all sorts of atrocities in the Middle East perpetrated not by our troops but terrorist groups living in the countries and trying to coerce the people by hurting women and children (men do this). They hide amongst the civilians and that is why many of them get killed because that is where the terrorists locate themselves and also get them to fight because of coercion and propaganda. It is a little more complex than just saying that US troops are killing these people. There have been other countries fighting as well so I would say you have a bias going on.
  • La 2013/08/21 17:15:10
    Some times it is and sometimes it is not. What happened in CT in the school has been called a mass murder since it was over four that died but technically it is a killing spree. There are all sorts of mass murders going on in many places...called genocide. We don't have that in the US. We have a very large population and if broken down by that we don't have any more than most other places. We have a news media that sensationalizes what happens in the US but the last big murders have been killing sprees by one or two individuals which makes it different than technically being a mass murder. Some have been immigrants and may or may not have had their citizenship yet. That was the case on a couple of them.
  • Cognito22 Faribor... 2012/07/22 16:12:23
    Cognito22
    +2
    We just love you Iranians.
    When you get a nuke, we'll play.
  • Faribor... Cognito22 2012/07/23 05:12:00
    Fariborz-Zak
    u r welcome but do u think ./.1 have enough balls to do that?do u think it is video game to say Mission Accomplished,Welldone Soilder.....

2014/04/20 18:28:46