Name someone from a previous generation that you admire?

Red 2011/07/29 17:22:28
Related Topics: Name

• Red 2011/07/29 17:31:17 (edited)
    Red
    +11
    My father. He was raised during the depression and both of his parents died when he was very young and he and 6 other kids in his family were sent to a home. There they were made to do hard work on a farm and got cruel beatings. The two eldest boys ran away and joined the service (my father being one of them and he lied about his age to join WWII). They both sent money to the eldest of all of them whom just got married and he in turn went and took the other kids out of the home (back then things were so bad during the depression they were glad to get rid of the extra mouths to feed). So when he was young he only went to the third grade, he taught himself how to read and write practically. He became a medic in the war and learned so many valuable things medically. He was also in two major fights during the war and got medals for them. He was one of the soldiers that had to go through the gas chambers and found all of the dead people that were killed. He came home and went to carpentry school. Now this all on a third grade education. He became the head man at the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia and helped build and came up with exhibits for them to show. He was so smart and I never knew it. My father had a heart attack and passed away at the age of 47, and I was 14 years old....
    My father. He was raised during the depression and both of his parents died when he was very young and he and 6 other kids in his family were sent to a home. There they were made to do hard work on a farm and got cruel beatings. The two eldest boys ran away and joined the service (my father being one of them and he lied about his age to join WWII). They both sent money to the eldest of all of them whom just got married and he in turn went and took the other kids out of the home (back then things were so bad during the depression they were glad to get rid of the extra mouths to feed). So when he was young he only went to the third grade, he taught himself how to read and write practically. He became a medic in the war and learned so many valuable things medically. He was also in two major fights during the war and got medals for them. He was one of the soldiers that had to go through the gas chambers and found all of the dead people that were killed. He came home and went to carpentry school. Now this all on a third grade education. He became the head man at the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia and helped build and came up with exhibits for them to show. He was so smart and I never knew it. My father had a heart attack and passed away at the age of 47, and I was 14 years old. The things and sayings that he taught and instilled in me I still live by today. He was a loyal family man, great father and a very caring human being. He cared about his country and almost died twice during the war. I am proud to be who I am today because of the things he taught all of us kids about how important an education is and that your freedom and rights were the dearest precious thing you had in this world. Thanks for listening. RED

2014/04/18 13:27:27